Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Can withdrawal anxiety be blood sugar related?

[ve...]

Sorry for butting in here but how many on here I wonder have the herpes virus? I have read that this can cause an larger then normal bz w/d response. I don't have the herpes virus that causes shingles but I had mono (Epstein Barr) when I was a teenager. Previous Epstein Barr is supposed to be a cause of big b/z w/d response too. Hmmmm how interesting. :idiot: The virus lie dormant in both I guess. I wonder how it sensitizes us? :-\

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [le...]

• [mi...]

• [vi...]

Hi Wonder Woman!

It is so interesting that I have asked my doctor about the possibility of still having some sort of latent shingles virus just waiting to break through again.  He pretty much "poo poo'ed" the thought, but the nutritional oncologist I go to said that I SHOULD be worried about this and that I should take lysine daily.  I know another "veteran" member of BB's has had the herpes virus and has had many of the physical symptoms that I have.

All I know is that the leg (my left one) in which I had the shingles in March of '09 has never been the same, and it has suffered more in withdrawal than any other part of my body.  Do you have any articles that I could read where you got your info from?

It is good to see you here!

:smitten:Leena

Leena I will go look, but I just cleared my computer so probably will have to search again. Try this link and then try to find similar and then you probably will find some information.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2730383

Or try "glandular fevers" and or "herpes virus encephalitis" etc ....that sort of thing should maybe lead you to more articles.  :thumbsup: If I find it again I will PM you the link! :yippee:

I truly think that those of us with the wicked bad long lasting stuff probably have a CNS double whammy somewhere in our past or present. So it is really good to find out what that is.

Hi WW.  Good to see you.  I believe anyone who has had chicken pox can get Shingles, although it is typically thought of as an older person's illness.  However, one does not catch Shingles from other people although if one has not had chicken pox, I believe one can get chicken pox but not shingles from somebody who is in the active lesion phase of shingles.  My understanding is that Shingles is a result of a weakened immune system.  Cancer patients who have recently had chemotherapy or undergoing it, people with HIV, and here is the kicker- people under a lot of stress such as college kids studying for finals, not sleeping or eating well... are susceptible.  In my case, I believe it was the combination of a battered nervous system from benzo tapering combined with stressful family situation while my father was in the hospital that led to my susceptibility.  However, I would not rule out benzo anxiety had some correlation with a weakened immune system.  Interesting to look at herpes and other viruses, autoimmune illnesses as well as chronic fatigue as having a possible comorbid connection to overall CNS issues.

Best,

V

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I cant comprehend all this stuff, but I also suffer with EPV, and I used to know when a flare up occurred.  My entire withdrawal has felt like a giant flare up.  I am going to get the levels checked last week.  Doc always says oh no big deal nothing to do for that.  Anyway, for what its worth, thats my two cents.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, weight loss and watching what you eat helps with the numbers.  All cholesterol and glucose numbers were very good last month.  Total was under 170.  LDL (bad cholesterol) was about 90 which although under 100 (which is pretty good), it is not quite "ideal" where my doctor would like it given my family history and father's heart bipass surgery history.  My doctor would like the LDL cholesterol closer to 75. So I am going to go ahead and increase my statin back to 20mg.  I had cut it in half (to 10mg) last November after losing 20lbs but I think it makes sense to not fool around with it at this point.  20mg is a pretty low dose and pravastatin is a mild statin as far as they all go.  I know some folks who are on 40mg of lipitor or high doses of crestor.  Pravastatin seems to be fairly mild.

Best,

Vertigo