Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Can withdrawal anxiety be blood sugar related?

[ve...]

Im so sensitive to sugar i cant have it at all...I found a coconut bliss ice cream made with agave that comes from a plant and i cant even have that. Just gave that up...I was so bummed....I know alot of protein helps me if i dont eat i can get the shakes and feel worse...I keep organic cashews around for little snacks in between meals.

I dont eat to many carbs,brown rice bread,not on a daily basis bake potatos once in awhile gluten free pizza that i make at home maybe 1 x a week or less.Lots of veggies on it with salami.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [le...]

• [mi...]

• [vi...]

Hi Michael.  I also take pravastatin 20mg.  I've heard that statins can impact insulin production.  But the positives for me will probably keep me on it.  I have a family history of heart disease too, father had two bipass surgeries, brother has high cholesterol and high blood pressure...

Have you talked with your doctor about chromium or coenzyme Q10?  Chromium is supposed to help regulate insulin and good if you exercise and/or lift weights.  The coenzyme Q10 though not 100% scientific proven, supposedly replaces something for heart health that statins may deplete.  

You mentioned you are thin.  In the book Protein Power, they discuss a thin person who had very high cholesterol and I believe blood sugar.  Once that person went on a low carb diet, all numbers were reversed.  They also point out that blood pressure meds can spike insulin production.  Many pre diabetics or people with high cholesterol or high blood pressure were able to reverse pre diabetes or Type 2 diabetes in a few weeks with their program.  I personally was experiencing high blood pressure 140/90 a few weeks ago along with some occasional blurred vision and frequent urination at night, felt faint when I stood up in the mornings.  I did not go on the crash low carb diet but first went off all refined sugar and switched to low glycemic fruits and vegetables with fiber while increasing protein.  I started walking every day for 2 miles or more after a while and decreasing the carbs to a comfortable but reduced level.  In about two weeks, I've lost 4 pounds and my blood pressure is normal.  I recently bought an exercise bike and have started light weight lifting.   I use the "eight minute" book by Jorge Cruise.   I recently had a blood test showing total cholesterol under 200 but HDL was below 40 (not good).  Even though the ratio is under 5, reducing heart risk, I added niacin in a "stress B complex" vitamin and trying to consume more garlic, omega 3 (sardines, salmon... but may add a fish pill soon), as I said more fiber... I was surprised to learn that orange juice may increase HDL (I think I may try a very small glass of it a few times a week once I lose another 5 pounds).  Chocolate in moderation may increase HDL too!  Again, something I would contemplate after getting the weight down some more.

Hey Onmypath.  I think the Zone diet encourages consumption of nuts in moderation for snacks.  I've also been eating more nuts and yet while low carbing, been able to lose weight.  The old low fat diets with higher carbs don't really work that well!  Of course the key is fats in moderation.  However, the authors of Protein Power suggest one can eat more fats during their initial early phase 1 of very low carbs.  I chose not to do phase one, having done that before.  Although it worked for me to lose 25 pounds a few years ago, I figured I'd just go to phase two and take more time and also avoid more anxiety since I still seem to have anxiety in the mornings post benzo.  Carbs can have a calming effect at least initially.  I read somewhere that carbs may also lead to serotonin production.  Anyway, just some thoughts.

Hey Uhdawg.   No doubt hypoglycemia can lead to jitters and anxiety. I think it is so important to realize that sugar and carbs, diet in general can compound whatever benzo related withdrawal anxiety symptoms one might have.  I'm trying now to get my energy back after a long taper off benzos last year. Will see how it goes.

Hey Leena.  Hows your knee doing?  Were you able to walk again this week?  No question there is a hereditary component to all of this. I think it is still possible to avoid getting diabetes by having a sensible "diet" or food management along with exercise when possible.  By the way, my mother in law in Austin has had inflammation and knee flare ups for many years, something to do with humidity and barometric pressure.  She can predict the rain by her knees ;).  She is in Oregon right now and no knee pain!  How was your husband's trip to Colorado?

Best wishes,

V

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies.  I do take coq10.  I've cut my Pravachol down to 10 mgs because there is an association between low cholesterol and depression and because it isn't the cholesterol per se that usually causes heart disease.  I also am trying a few days without my Metformin for blood sugar control because I am wondering whether it has caused emotional and gastrointestinal decline over the last few months since I began taking it.  I think i need to go back to bare minimum of sugar.Will be seeing doctor this week to have pancreas and gall bladder checked out: sometimes drug-induced hypochondriacs are actually sick:(  MichaelP

Hi Michael.  Do you know what your cholesterol numbers are right now?  By the way, are you taking a probiotic? That could help with your gut.  Culturelle is a good one.   When you say you are cutting back on sugar, I assume this means cutting back carbs since they essentially all turn into one form of sugar or another.  Don't cut out all carbs though since that can also cause depression.  I'm kind of new to this, it's all a balancing act.  Oh, I"ve also cut back on fruits some and tried to eat more vegetables, particularly celery.

Best wishes,

V

Yeah, definitely a balancing act.  I've been off gluten for a few weeks since they say that wheat can inflame depression, but I know that you  need carbs to feel good (part of the theme of Potatos Not Prozac).  My unmedicated cholesterol is not really that bad; my mom has a number in the high 200s and my dad in the low 200s and theyve never had a heart  problem.  My normal numbers are about total 200, ldl 140, hdl 40.  But once i found out i had plaque in my arteries, my docs pushed me to go on a statin.  Last reading, on only 15 pravachol, was total 144, ldl 77, hdl 54.  I would be more comfortable with a total of about 160 and an hdl of about 90, though cardiologists persist in saying ldl should be as low as possible.  Hard to have a lot of faith in docs after the benzo episodes.  I do take a probiotic, which helps a bit.  What are your numbers,vertigo?

Hi Michael. My last test which was before I started this exercise and healthy eating program as follows:

Total was 163

LDL was 100

HDL 38 (it was 41 back in February)

Not so great given I am taking 20mg pravastatin and I don't want to increase the dose.

Since the last blood test, I've been exercising, lost 4 pounds, added niacin, garlic, eating more fish, walnuts... interestingly some study found oranges and orange juice increases HDL but it was based on some ridiculous amount like 3 glasses orange juice a day increased HDL by 20% after a month in a study in the Netherlands. However, I will try to add 1/2 orange three times a week to see what happens.   I plan to retest in a few months. Hoping to get above 50 if not 60.  You're right, cholesterol that is too low can cause other health problems.  It's a balance.  Your numbers actually sound very good.  I'll trade ya :pokey:;).  I need to reduce the carbs some more.  I've been eating too much fruit I think but I'll still keep a couple oranges a week.

Back when  my blood sugar was normal range (86-89) my HDL ranged from 44-49.  When my blood sugar elevated, my HDL went as low as 33.  There is a connection.  That being said, I got my HDL up to 54 last reading because I'm on Niaspan, a mega dose of a niacin.  Ironically, it does raise your blood sugar, but i think it's worth it.  What do I know.  ANyway, vertigo,your numbers are not really bad at all.  Raise your HDL but 5 points and you'll have peace of mind.  Last summer, on no meds, i got my HDL up to 47 with reduction of sugar, lots of exercise and low stress (I was off the benzos and was feeling great).  Miss those days.  MichaelP

Hi Guys....

I have had a rough few days and so haven't felt too much like posting.  Just got back from a walk, though, and have some endorphin energy...so will take advantage of it and catch up here. 

This was my 5th day to walk...I had to skip yesterday because my knee had gotten swollen and I was afraid to get out and exercise.  I had hardly any sleep last night and did not know if I was going to be able to walk this morning.  But after I tested my blood sugar...and saw that it was 115...I got scared and motivated.  While walking backwards uphill (something I do to help strengthen my disappearing leg muscles) another woman stopped me and asked me why I was doing that...and she started walking with me.  Turns out her husband is type 2 diabetic and so we had a good long talk as we walked.  So besides the benefit of the exercise, I made a new friend :)  I don't know if my blood sugar was that high because of so much pain and very little sleep all night...or if it was because I broke down yesterday and had some pita chips (after being gluten free for a week).  (I have gone gluten free several times over the past few months...I think the longest was for 5 weeks)

Michael, I think I have discovered that having very low to no carbs DOES make me depressed.  I do believe there is definitely something to the "potatoes not Prozac" idea.  I am going to the nutritionist on Monday and will ask him more about this. Also, the reason I asked if you were still on serroquel is because in reading about it, I saw that it definitely causes blood sugar to go up.  Even though you are off now, were you on it when you first noticed that your glucose levels increased?  I am kind of like you, in that I rarely had any blood sugars out of the 80's.  It has been in this withdrawal period that it has changed for me.  I just looked at my last blood tests (from back in February) and my fasting glucose then was 90. And that was when I wasn't being as careful with what I am eating.  I was in withdrawals then (about 3 months off klonopin) and now I am 10 months off.

This is all so hard, not knowing what symptoms are from withdrawals and what are from something else?  Or...has the stress of the withdrawals pushed my body into this inflammatory state?  Just don't know.  I am discovering how hard it is (I do believe I am somewhat of an addict) to give up carbs and sugar.  I haven't totally gotten rid of them yet.  The thought of just veggies and meat is really hard for me, but if that is what it will take to avoid what my mom went through, I hope I will have the fortitude to do it.

Thanks for all the info you all are sharing about this topic.  It is very helpful to hear your perspectives!

~Leena

Thanks Michael.  Yep, need to raise the HDL by at least 5-10 points.  Does the mega niacin give you any side effects? I could swear I read somewhere recently that large doses of niacin can increase insulin production.  I'll try to find where I may have read that.  Maybe try reducing the niacin if your blood sugar is giving your trouble, of course under doctor supervision, or at least ask your doctor about it.

Hi Leena.  So glad you have been feeling well enough to walk.  Thats awesome that you even met a new friend on your walk yesterday :thumbsup:.  I've found that I do have more energy with eating more brown foods, whole grains, oatmeal, more fiber, vegetables.. I'm still trying to eat fewer carbs in general,  but I'm not stopping all of them c/t as I agree that some may help with mood.  I'm trying to stay under 75 carb grams a day right now.  I use a very thin pepperidge farm whole wheat bread that is only about 14 grams.  I also use a whole wheat tortilla for wraps, I think its around 9 grams or so.  Doesn't taste great but not terrible.  I've also tried to eat more vegetables than fruits and drink lots of water.  Had half an orange and half an apple yesterday and lost another pound by this morning :yippee:.   I think it is possible to low carb, still have some treats and lose some weight without getting depressed.  Even had a few new potatoes (with skin) with dinner last night.  I think the key is moderation.

I am not a huge Atkins fan but I think he does talk about inflammation in his book Leena, claims that it is one of the symptoms that can be helped with his diet.   I do think carbs reduced (which is essentially a sugar intake reduction) but perhaps in moderation can help a variety of illnesses and physical issues.  Also just losing weight and exercising can restore some energy.   Austin weather should be really nice in another month so that might be motivating to walk more if your knee can handle it.  My mother in law swears by pilates, but I think she only goes once a week.  

Even if you're thin like Michael, does not mean you are toned or have good cholesterol or not suffering from blood sugar issues, right?.  Some light weight lifting can possibly help the metabolism.  In Protein Power, they specifically use the example of the maration runner as being thin but maybe too thin and in some cases not "as healthy" as someone who is not emaciated and maybe has more muscle and tone.  Just two days a week, ideally three, of light weight lifting can speed up metabolism and really take the pounds off and lower blood lipids to healthier levels.   I use the "eight minutes in the morning" workouts by Jorge Cruise.  It's important not to overdo it especially in the beginning.   One other note.  In the book Protein Power, along with Atkins, both claim to be able to reverse not only cholesterol and blood pressure which I've experienced personally, they also say in many cases pre diabetes, type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance and perhaps other blood sugar issues can be partially or completely reversed within a few weeks, even before the weight loss occurs.  That may be overly optimistic for some who are well into Type 2 diabetes but Atkins also makes similar claims that some folks have been able to stop their cholesterol, blood pressure and maybe even diabetes meds after following the program for a few weeks.  Of course, best to do under doctor supervision.   Perhaps inflammation is also a result of sugar issues?  I think with Protein Power, once you get to the maintenance level, you can reintroduce some carbs, especially healthier ones like vegetables and some fruits in moderation...

Best wishes,

V

Update.  I've read a few more books on nutrition and I think I need to cut back on fruit even though it has so many healthy vitamins and minerals, my blood sugar still seems to be super sensitive.  Even though I've managed to cut out cookies and ice cream, muffins and other white refined foods and have no cravings for them the last few days,  I have big fruit cravings which tells me my sugar sensitivity  is still a problem.  I "cheated" this week and bought a bag of cherries at the grocery store.  I think they are "intermediate" as far as glycemic index goes, but I've been eating too many of those and other fruit during the day too.   I'm going to cut back to fruit with one meal a day and see how it goes.

I am proud of myself for trying a new vegetable yesterday that I hated like the plague as a child, Brussel Sprouts.  I ate two of them last night, wasn't bad.  This was a big deal for me.   When I was 7 years old, I nearly got paddled in England for stuffing them in my apron and trying to avoid eating them by smuggling them out of the school cafeteria.  Anyway, I'm starting to see the benefits of healthy vegetables although brussel sprouts are described in one book I read as higher carb veggies.  Go figure.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

V (and white bread never again :laugh:)

vertigo

i smiled at your brussel sprouts story in england.

(in england we called them 'sprouts') and beets we called beetroots.

i, too, used to throw school food into my pockets and ditch it somewhere, anywhere

but my mouth. argfh! eventually they allowed me to bring cheese sandwiches for lunch.

i used to gag on most school food. (trust the body, watch the mind :)) my body, teachers' minds!!

we used to have brussel sprouts at christmas with chestnuts mixed in - with the turkey dinner. yum.

watch out for the gas though!

i have begun to abstain from crucifers as of last week (broccoli, kale, b. sprouts, cauliflower, collard).

since i learned they contain that liver enzyme that causes detox, and might remove some of

the benzo. i miss them seriously. perhaps i can eat a little.

leena hello again! i like visualizing you walking uphill backwards. i do the

same on the wet grass on my sloping yard. feels sooo good.

so sorry you are still having a hard time. love to you. vi.

Hi Violet.  Were you raised in England but now in America?  Did you ever get paddled?  I went to a school with a strict headmaster.  They let me slide on the paddle when they found my collard greens trail out to the playground.  My wife loves brussel sprouts, craves them sometimes.  For years I thought it was cauliflower that I had snuck out of the cafeteria in London, but I now believe it was either brussel sprouts or some nasty smelling vegetable, perhaps collard greens?  I'm not really sure but it was vile.   I am trying to be more open to some veggies.  I now really like broccoli if its been steamed and/or stir fried in olive oil and garlic.  I even tried dipping it in horseradish mustard yesterday.  I had not heard that crucifers impact the liver enzymes and the taper? Well, maybe a little bit won't hurt.  By the way, I love beets and borscht!  Sometimes I get beet cravings :idiot::).

Best wishes,

V (and cauliflower never again :laugh:)

Hi Violet.  Were you raised in England but now in America?  Did you ever get paddled?  I went to a school with a strict headmaster.  They let me slide on the paddle when they found my collard greens trail out to the playground.  My wife loves brussel sprouts, craves them sometimes.  For years I thought it was cauliflower that I had snuck out of the cafeteria in London, but I now believe it was either brussel sprouts or some nasty smelling vegetable, perhaps collard greens?  I'm not really sure but it was vile.   I am trying to be more open to some veggies.  I now really like broccoli if its been steamed and/or stir fried in olive oil and garlic.  I even tried dipping it in horseradish mustard yesterday.  I had not heard that crucifers impact the liver enzymes and the taper? Well, maybe a little bit won't hurt.  By the way, I love beets and borscht!  Sometimes I get beet cravings :idiot::).

Best wishes,

V (and cauliflower never again :laugh:)

hi vertigo

yes, born and raised in england, growing in america (mostly) since 1978.

such a relief to read a fellow brit who writes "out OF the cafeteria", instead of plain old american-style "OUT the cafeteria"!!!!!!!!!! i'll send you some of my vegie love because i have plenty to share. i understand your wife's 'craving' for brussel sprouts. i've found that desire comes in the form of craving, too (for those potent little green things). my home was hampshire. (i'm intrigued to learn that boys wore aprons too, i don't remember that!) Violet

did you mother cook vegies in a big pot of water, then throw the water out? ah, dear mummy!

Hi Violet. I sent you a PM.  My mother lived in England during her childhood but technically I am a US citizen/yankee.  But I am sympathetic to my limey friends :laugh:.  I think you Brits are so smart because of all those yummy veggies they force you to eat in school ;).

Best wishes,

V (and junk food no more :D:))

Vertigo and Violet (the two V's  :) )...I have to laugh inside, because I grew up in the south (west Texas, to be more exact), and was not raised with these "fancy" vegetables...rather more "meat and potatoes" (which I think helps you see my "problem")!  Anyway, the only thing "green" that was ever on my plate was green beans.  And I HATED them.  I would always spit them into my napkin (thank goodness for paper napkins) and ditch them in the trash can before anyone knew.  And at camp, I would always try to get my cousin to eat my vegetables...sneaking them to her when the counselor wasn't looking!

I still have a distaste for them, but have recognized they are an "evil" necessity :)  However, I do not think I could EVER eat a Brussels sprout.  I can do broccoli...and cauliflower.  But the thought of biting into a Brussels sprout...gag!

Vertigo, I am holding firm so far to "gluten free"...and so this naturally cuts out a lot of sugar (no cookies, pies, or cakes)  And NO bread, which is pretty hard.  I know there are gluten free breads, but I haven't tried any that I really like.  One nutritionist told me I have to have vegetables at every meal, even breakfast.  I know she wouldn't approve of this, but I use V8 juice as my vegetable.  Somehow cooking vegetables in the morning just sounds awful.

An interesting observation is that the psoriasis on my knuckles has gone down considerably.  I am hoping that what the doctor has diagnosed as psoriatic arthritis will go away as well.  So far, I am still just as achy as ever.  The only thing that is keeping me from getting the Enbrel shots is that I am NOT convinced yet that this aching is not from withdrawals.  There are so many on the forum who have the same symptoms I am having...the burning nerves, muscle spasms, deep aching, etc.  So...if it is from withdrawals, I kind of fear suppressing my immune system.  I just wish I knew....

~Leena

Hi Leena.  I was the same way for 35 years re vegetables :idiot:. I guess my wife tamed me a bit.  I pretty much eat brocolli, string beans and sometimes reluctantly squash and of course celery, carrots, onions, tomato, cucumbers, avocado and peppers.  Once in a while asparagus so I can see the color of my pee change :laugh:.  By the way, if you're not into cooked veggies, try an Israeli salad (cucumbers, onions, peppers, tomatoes with a little olive oil and lemon juice if you like).  It's yummy :).

Glad the gluten free is showing some progress.  I hope your inflammation continues to diminish and improve.  I am rarely eating bread now myself.  I will eat a low carb tortilla a few times a week and sometimes a thin piece of whole wheat toast but I don't really miss the bread.  I'm getting a little tired of the same routine though.   I really need to lose another 15 pounds so I'm going to try and stick with it.  I miss pancakes, grits and ice cream but do not miss the bread, pizza, cake or cookies.  I occasionally treat myself to a small piece of dark chocolate or a dark chocolate almond.  Anyway, won't stick with it if I deprive all pleasures :D:).

Hope you continue to feel better,

V

Hey Verti man I would like to post my observations here:

I seem to be able to go longer not eating now, but when I was on these stinking pills I would almost always have to eat every 3-4 hours or I would get shaky. I don't get shaky when I wake up now, but DO get weird if I eat too many fruits in one sitting then wait too long to eat something substantial. Problem is Hypo tests are different than the 12 hour fasts most docs give you. A hypo test is every 4 hours upon ingestion/IV of pure glucose. I have done so much research  about this and I just believe that the damn drugs mess with the pancreas and liver for proper insulin production which causes all kinds of blood sugar issues. And for anyone interested Shirley Trickett has a book called "Freeing yourself from tranquilizers" which she specifically has a theory that withdrawal causes an hypo condition.

These are things that have helped me with the hypo:

When eating fruit (or anything sweet for that matter) eat something with it, say peanut or almond butter or nuts or high fiber whole grains. Or if you like your fruit alone like I do eat something 20-30 minutes after the fruit as fruit goes through your digestion the fastest.

Also eating every 3-4 hours at least something is helpful for spikes.

High fiber here is probably the most important thing for blood sugar roller coaster rides. It keeps glucose nice and even and gives your body the energy it needs steady and slow which is a good thing for many of us on here since we don't really have the will or desire to do highly energetic things and that extra adrenaline will be in vain.

I must say that either way we have such an abundance of energy that we MUST use in some form of exercise or strong expression. Let me tell you I have been going on these crazy long distance bike rides and my symptoms have been getting so much relief from it. Now I know people will say they get revved up and I believe it, but that is no reason to stop doing it either. We are so screwed from being dormant for so long and this rev up is the result of healthy activity that we are not used to so of course we will get reactions to things that are good for us after being in hell for so long. Do not forget this and work through the pain and in about 2 months you all will see enormous improvements. I know how the vicious cycle (no pun ha ha) ruins any hope (ie. being depressed makes you want to stay in bed and not exercise which then feeds the depression from lack of activity) but if you can somehow break this evil crap, then the endorphins and sweating out the bad energy and poison will make you feel a "window". I have been noticing how little symptoms I have when I can just get the initial energy to get out and bike or run or walk. The most crucial time is that initial exercise time when you first start out for the simple fact that you will want to turn around and go back if you feel sore or fear from the heart beating, etc.  But once you work through the first 15-30 minutes you will start to REALLY get a groove and actually want to keep going. I find all the anxiety symptoms like breathlessness, muscle pain, heart pain and chest pain start to subside the longer I stay going on any one trip. The fear we sometimes have that we are dying or what our brains are saying is thoughts and emotions that we need to work through so you can keep exercising.

Of course you have to start out slow and then build up, but I will go against what most say on here and you MUST sooner or later push yourself to your limits. It is not good enough to keep the same 30 minute walk going for months. This is great and I know so many are sick and I give all folks on here credit for doing ANYTHING as these drugs are so sadistic. But to really feel benefits of exercise and get a flood of good feelings, one must keep going more and more and more. Rev ups or not. Soon these rev ups will disappear as your body and mind get used to the intense movement. I think even eating healthy after years of eating pizza can possibly make one sick as the body starts trying to adjust to this new way. It is almost a shock to the system I think. But if one can slowly keep increasing their goals then they will keep getting better. Of course get a full workup  and make sure all is good with your heart, lungs, etc before getting into exercise.

Of course any advice that is given by me has only been around for centuries and is tried and proven methods for depression and health problems, but please be advised that you do so at your own risk and please see a doctor so you can get doped up and still not ever find out what is wrong or get better.

Thank you,

Rev Blue

Rev...I have an exercise question and wonder if I might ask it here.  I am forcing myself to get up and walk every morning...longer distances each time (today was almost 2 hours) but I don't know if it is best to eat or not eat before I go.  I want to burn fat, not muscle.  But am not sure exactly how to make that happen and if benzo withdrawal affects that.  Can you advise?

Thank you!

Leena

Hi Leena.  I can tell you what I read in Protein Power and a few other books.  Many say to not eat before exercise unless you are doing a really hard weight workout or very long run where you may need extra energy, then I think some type of combo of carb and protein shake or bar or something else may work. However, they are very clear that no eating after the exercise for at least an hour if you want to lose weight.  Some type of growth hormone is released (if you exercised enough, mostly I think they are talking about weights but may apply if you do some hill work or some other stretches before your walk...).  Anyway, its very important to not eat afterward for an hour (unless of course you have overdone it and need nutrients or if you have some hypoglycemia... so you won't pass out).   There is one other book I will check by Bob Arnot called "Guide to turning back the clock" that may have more input on this about eating or not eating before.  One of the best ways to lose fat is to limit your carbs and do some light weight training just a few days a week.  I like the book by Jorge Cruise "8 minute workout".

Hi Rev.  I think you made many salient points too.   I agree with what you said about the biking and exercise.  The latest exercise research suggests varying your routine, walking slower, then faster or trying to get some hills in on occasion.  Of course if one is out of shape, one must start out gradually for the first few weeks or even months depending on your condition.  But once in decent shape, varying the work out is key to continuing to make progress with muscle building and weight loss if interested or just toning.   Yes, very important to have fiber with the carb but also some protein.  All the books I've read suggest to steady blood sugar to have some protein with any fruit or sweet snack to steady the sugar, so I'd not wait thirty minutes after the apple or other fruit but eat some cheese or peanut or almond butter with it and maybe a whole wheat cracker or other slow grain as you said to slow it down, unless you eat the apple with skin in which case you have your fiber but be careful to get organic (not sure even organic will prevent pesticides on the apple skin?) ;).  I completely believe the theory you mentioned that hypoglycemia may be mimicked in benzo withdrawal.  The anxiety from overactive adrenal glands may be a factor here.  Makes sense to also have smaller snacks/meals if one truly has blood sugar issues.  Hyperinsulinemia plagues millions of people who may have normal blood glucose tolerance tests.  It's also known as "pre diabetes".  A very good book is "Stop Pre-Diabetes Now".   I also agree with you that sometimes when we least feel like exercise, when we want to lie around in bed may be the best time to get up and just do it.  Once you get started, there is resistance but after about ten minutes, maybe the endorphins start going and it becomes very easy to continue.  Of course if one is dead tired from not sleeping well during a rough taper, sometimes one may need to take a short nap but one does not have to choose to stay in bed all day!  Hey, glad you're back exercising and feeling better.  Are you still sitting in your car and sweating?  I'm a believer that sweating out the toxins can also really help with recovery and healing.  Good to hear from you!

V (and lethargy no more :laugh:)

Hey Leena I think the best thing to do is not eat too much before exercise, but I would recommend some protein and fruit before exercise.  I like to eat a small breakfast of fruit then something more substantial shortly after, say, beans or an almond butter sandwich or even whole grain cereal with no sugar of course. Just a bit though and not so much that you get bloated and full (this is the way we should eat regularly anyway exercise or not). I think it is important to give yourself some pre exercise fuel like protein (mine are veg. sources like nuts and seeds) and a complex carb. Depending on how long and difficult the workout is I would advise some more food to bring with you. I have a small pack I always bring on my rides and fill it with some fruit and seeds and a sandwich of nut butter and jelly. So I think it is important to give yourself some low cal fuel if you want to burn fat. And don't take this the wrong way and I am so happy you are walking and doing what you are to help yourself as I know this is tough, but the best way to burn fat is through a more intense cardio thing like swimming or running. I do know walking is a fat burner as well, especially brisk walking. I know that for me the best way to burn fat is to actually eat mostly low fat foods, AND................here is the kicker here GOOD FATS. Things like olive oils and avocados will actually help with the muscle process but not to much of course. You need some fat for the mind too so don't forget to eat some here and there, unless of course you are a body builder which would not work. But even body builders will eat whole eggs which are a good fat and of course protein. I hope this helped you. Also one of the best ways to build muscle and lose fat FAST is the atkins which promotes  protein,fats,low carb foods such as green veggies, seeds,nuts. I still beleive in a balanced diet combined with muscle training and exercise to have a strong body. I think all these damn books on isolating foods and fad diets can mess us up. I feel we are supposed to have complete nutrients from all the food groups. As long as they are whole foods I don't think you can go wrong.

Hello Vertigo and Rev,

Thank you so much for sharing your vast amount of research with me.  Sometimes it is so overwhelming for me to try to do the research myself (though I DO when I am feeling well enough to do so).  I just got back from a long walk and it is actually somewhat "coolish" today so I am going to try to trim bushes to continue being active.  One of the sadnesses, Rev, for me about the condition of my knees is that I cannot run...It is a "fight" for me to be content that I can walk because I so prefer running!  And so, what I try to do is make the walk as effective as possible (like walking backwards uphill...which exercises a whole different set of leg muscles.  I do get lots of funny looks, especially from little kids  :D  (..."Mommy, why is that woman walking like that???)

I have gone to our neighborhood pool a few times to swim laps, and I do continue to lift arm weights every other day.  I use the program from a book called, "Strong Women Stay Young".  I don't know that I will end up being the "poster child" for the book :) but I am trying to remain faithful to the program.                 

I appreciate all the tips about diet from both of you, as well.  This is an admitted battle for me.  Having grown up on meat and potatoes and red beans and corn bread...well, it is challenging to say the least to move to gluten free and to having to eat more vegetables and fewer carbohydrates.  I have tried eating gluten free several times since the beginning of the year.  This is the number one thing that the nutritionist wants me to do.  I still can't tell if it is doing anything to help my inflammation, but am going to give it a few more weeks.

I wish I knew what happens inside when I get my worst symptom.  It happened this morning at 4:30 am in a HUGE way.  I had actually been able to sleep a while, but then woke up feeling uncomfortable in a way I really can't describe.  And then my body starts to feel like it is on fire (besides the aching that had already been there).  It would seem that if I were to look in the mirror, I would look badly sunburned...but it also feels like I am sunburned from the inside out.  I LONG for this symptom to go away. 

About the "good" fats...I have been buying more nuts (actually got almost addicted to macadamia nuts, which are 200 calories for a measly 1/4 cup).  But then I also have to be careful, because nuts are full of arginine, which feeds the herpes virus...and having had shingles last year I am terrified of getting it again.  The nutritionist I went to says I am right to be fearful of it coming back (I know you contended with this also, Vertigo).  He told me I should probably take Lysine for the rest of my life, to keep the arginine in check.  Nothing seems very easy anymore. :P

OK...I am off to work in the yard.  Thanks, guys, for your help.

~Leena

Hi Leena.  I checked out Bob Arnot's guide to turning back the clock.  He's a doctor by the way.  Anyway, he says its ok to eat something but preferably not right before exercise, maybe half an hour to an hour before (nothing too big but like Rev said, something with protein, some carbs and fat).  Always drink a big glass of water before your walk and bring water with you of course.  As far as afterward, there seems to be conflicting info.  Arnot says he eats carbs after a heavy workout whereas the Protein Power docs say its a no no if you're trying to benefit from the natural growth hormone released to lose weight and build muscle.  I generally drink a bunch of water before I exercise and have water on hand during.  I seem to do ok without eating before I exercise.  I am ok in the morning first thing wihtout eating and I wait about 45 mnutes to an hour afterward before I eat breakfast.  I will exercise, then shower, check email... and then eat.  If I can't exercise in the morning, I try to do it at least two hours after breakfast if I can do it before lunch say on a weekend, I'll do that.  Beware, mornings right after getting up are the most frequent time for stroke or heart attack so be cautious about when you exercise and based on your condition and how you feel.  It may be that afternoon is better for you.  I read somewhere that body temperature is warmer between 2 and 4PM and this somehow may lead to a more easy workout than first thing in the morning.  If its the afternoon, I'll try to have a snack about one hour before I exercise and then not eat for the time afterward until I eat dinner.  That's just me, may not work for everyone. I try not to exercise after 4PM so as not to hamper my sleep.  Others may not have a problem with later afternoon and I've read some can do it at night, but I know that is not for me. 

I think its great that you're able to be walking, running may be hard on the jonits anyway.  Also great that you're able to pursue some light weights as well.  Now you just gotta focus on your nutrition and substitute the potatoes and corn bread (yum :pokey::laugh:)with another veggie, actually according to some, the meat may not be so bad if in moderation.  Great to trim the bushes.  One doesn't have to formally lift weights or walk to get moving!  As for nuts, one of the books I recently read said if you wanna lose weight, stick to almonds and walnuts in moderation.  Apparently the cashews have more carbs and are sweeter and the macadamia while has some good fat, has a lot of fat and so probably better to limit those too.  No question though that good fats can be found in olive oil and avacado in moderation for me helps keep the carb cravings away so its worth it. Also the good fats are important in keeping your inflammation down.  If you can't eat salmon and cold water fish with omega 3 oils three times a week, you might try a fish oil supplement once or twice a day.  Some people question the fish oil pill but I think its worth a try.  Keep the bottle refrigerated to help avoid them going rancid.  One can also buy fresh pressed flaxseed oil in bottles that also must be kept in the fridg.    I hear you about the Shingles virus.  I think its not likely to come back if you're eating well, exercising and have some other coping mechanisms in place for dealing with stressful situations.

Have a great day!

V

hi leena

herpes virus..........i have it too and keep powdered lysine. always watching the arginine/lysine balance and am very successful at keeping the virus dormant. only time it breaks through is if i eat sugar, break the a/l balance, or get mega stressed. so i will no doubt be on the powder always. better than drugs! v.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good Violet.  I'm all for keeping the Shingles dormant!  I think that eating healthy and taking care of oneself is paramount in terms of health.  Too much sugar during my taper revved me up when I thought it was giving me relief when I was down, it was only temporary.  I've found that sugar can be another addiction not so unlike benzos.  It takes a lot of will power to turn it down and make better choices but the end result can be rewarding.

Vertigo (no more)