Do you experience the normal full feeling after you eat?

[Bh...]

This is one of my persistent symptoms, going on 2 years.  I hate it.  Don't feel hunger, or fullness.  I just eat healthy, shove something in my face every 3 hours or so.

I've had brief windows where I felt hunger again.  It was awesome.

WR

I wish I didn’t feel hunger.

To feel constantly starving and never feel full is hell to me.

Can I just check with everyone - if you were to eat and eat platefuls of food would you have any sensation that there is anything in your stomach?

I have no sensation at all and no message to my brain that I have eaten. I don’t feel sick. Nothing at all.

I wish I didn’t feel hunger.

To feel constantly starving and never feel full is hell to me.

Can I just check with everyone - if you were to eat and eat platefuls of food would you have any sensation that there is anything in your stomach?

I have no sensation at all and no message to my brain that I have eaten. I don’t feel sick. Nothing at all.

No, I really don't.  No sensation, nada.  I did have the ravenous hunger symptom briefly during my taper.  Like a burning hunger in my gut.  You're right, that is worse than no hunger, for sure.  Sorry you're suffering.  WR

I don’t have any hunger sensation in my gut. My brain just keeps telling me to eat. I try to ignore it, accept it and let it go but it leads to severe panic. Thing is eating doesn’t make it go way.

It is a kind of alethesia I think. It’s just that my brain has hit on food as the thing that will stop it even though it doesn’t. It is a constant battle all day every day.

It doesn’t start until my first dose of the day starts to wear off after an hour and a half.

Oh, yes yes.  I still have this.  I don't think of it as hunger tho, but yes, think it's akasthesia, relieved by the act of digestion.  This has gotten better with time, but returns in waves.

Baby carrots are my go-to, so much so that my skin is orange.  Blueberries too.  I keep them next to my bed so I can relieve the akasthesia at night without waking my husband from carrot crunching.

I think you're the first member here that I found who shares this symptom with me, if im understanding you right. It sucks.  Give baby carrots a try :thumbsup:

WR

You mentioned that you used to eat paleo.  This is still possible with this symptom,  and actually has worked well for me, bc proteins and veggies take longer to digest.  Big salads with chicken or eggs have helped a lot. Also, pumpkin seeds, nuts. 

I used to think this was reactive hypoglycemia,  so as soon as my blood sugar dropped, my body would sound the alarm and freak out.  I don't think I'll ever understand why it happens honestly.  My windows assure me it goes away though, so don't lose hope.

Hugs,

WR

Thanks!

Sorry you have this too.

I am trying not to give in to biscuits and chocolate etc - although that is what my brain obsesses and panics for. Literally packets of biscuits...

I lost half my body weight in the two years prior to withdrawal so am very upset that I am gaining weight.

I have to eat so little not to gain weight even without the biscuits etc. Because I am pretty much inactive due to other symptoms. I never used to eat really during the day apart from some nuts and goats yogurt.

I can no longer eat a lot of the healthy stuff I used to love because the look, feel and taste of it became frightening to me during withdrawal. I am trying to get used to some of it again. I can’t really taste a lot of things apart from salt or sweet anymore and the numbness in my mouth and tongue makes the texture of some things horrible.

I am happy you have seen an improvement. :)

Sounds like your biscuit compulsion is similar to my thing with carrots.  I know I'm getting better bc I ran out of carrots yesterday and haven't replenished yet.  I will get some later tho, just to feel safe :D

I know it's not easy, but try to ignore the weight stuff, bc it will go away naturally as this symptom eases up and also when you're able to move more.  I really do understand how difficult that can be tho.  I have a history of anorexia, and withdrawal has been hell in that regard.  Both this symptom,  and the inability to feel hunger or fullness.  I'm doing my best, but it's tough to cope with. 

Thinking of you.  I've read your posts and know it's been hell for you.  It really does get better as time passes.  The pain of healing is 100+ percent worth it, I promise.

Hugs

WR

Akathisia... I recently came to that realisation too!

Although I do feel some weird akathisia discomfort in my stomach area, I feel it mostly in my mouth  :idiot: I used to mistake that for "hunger", or at least an urge to eat. I don't get much pleasure from eating, it doesn't even relieve me of any discomfort, it only distracts me while I am doing it. The rest of the time, I am either sipping drinks or chewing gum. I hate it.

Do any of you feel anything like "satiety", satisfaction from eating? Or is it quite simply like any other type of akathisia, always running after something but never getting much relief from anything?...  :(

I too have a history of anorexia and eating obsessions further worsened while on my med cocktail. Ironic this all started with food issues and now... !!!

Benzos also destroy our abilities to enjoy food. I remember when trying to crawl out of the restricted eating, 13 years ago, I got myself some biscuits... but I felt no enjoyment. It surprised me, those were biscuits I LOVED as a little girl, it should have given me a kind of high... but no, nothing. That was the beginning of my grey-benzo-life  >:(

NYCWR, I am sorry you too are further tested, challenged and even bullied in that department  :( but once you get through this protracted withdrawal phase, you will have more than earned your recovery from the initial complaint. By a million times at least.

I'm glad you have a glowy complexion thanks to your coping strategy, that is always a positive  :D

Ajusta, I'm sorry you are still suffering from this symptom too... it will get better... that is what we need to keep telling ourselves... :hug:

And if all else fails.... we will have to try baby carrots. I could do with a healthy complexion  ::)

Hugs to all  :smitten:

Julia xxx

Hi Julia.  Ha, perhaps it looks healthy.  When I have DR, I'm convinced I look jaundiced.  I avoid mirrors generally, just so I don't have to think about it really.  Ugh.

I too started benzos due to stuff triggered by ED.  This is the ultimate challenge, and I do like to think it will have settled, at least in some ways, when I'm healed.  I've also come to terms with the possibility of having lingering ED issues for life, just better ways to cope with it.  My body dysmorphia has been bad throughout recovery, for obvious reasons.  Again, avoiding mirrors is helpful.  I know this adds another layer of hell to this experience,  so please reach out anytime.

So sorry you're dealing with mouth akasthesia.  Geez.  This is such a cruel process. 

My symptoms are severe today,  bc in terrible wave.  I made it to the grocery store a mile away for carrots, but had to bolt while in line bc thought I was going to pass out.  I'm really hoping this is my final huge wave.  Telling myself that it is helps me to cope, although I've been here hundreds of times.

Sorry if it's discouraging to read.  It helps to share the burden a bit  :'(

And to your question...no, I really don't feel satiated in any by food, except with quieting the unease a bit.  A bit during windows,  but not much.

Hugs to you both,

WR

This is not discouraging in any way, WR, you are having a tough day and need to unload. Where else if not here?

I'm sorry you felt so awful in the store... bear in mind that leaving the queue was not a failure. Today with such symptoms, you were at your limit... which is probably even much higher than what you were able to tolerate some months ago. The terrible thing is that we get used to crap and dealing with it... we build resilience. So anyway, today will soon be over and done with. Another 24 hours of healing. It is over midnight here in Paris  :thumbsup: And I'm losing my train of thought, if I ever had one  :crazy:

I will take your offer on reaching out about EDs, although don't want to burden you further... too tired tonight to write much more, I'm on my phone and battling with autocorrect  :D just want to say that after having gone through polydrugging and WD, I'm sure we will both have found much better ways to cope. Another chapter to write  :thumbsup:

I dearly hope this wave passes soon, and that it leaves a nice big window open for you... for good!!

Hugs to all  :smitten:

Julia xxx

Sorry you have this too.

I really hope it will go away one day.

I hate myself when I put weight on. I was so happy to lose it all again after years of being fat.

I hate the panic it is causing.

Thanks to you both.  Day 23 of this wave, and looking forward to it breaking so I can regain some perspective.  To give some hope, in windows I now feel pretty much healed, back to life, full of joy, emotions are back, most physical symptoms disappear. And I started this process in tolerance, very sick from the meds, wanting to give up. I haven't been pummeled by waves like this throughout my recovery either.  Months 21-24 have just been tougher, not sure why.  Hoping it's the final push for me.

Hope today is a bit easier for you both.

Love and hugs,

WR

Sorry you have this too.

I really hope it will go away one day.

I hate myself when I put weight on. I was so happy to lose it all again after years of being fat.

I hate the panic it is causing.

I'm sorry, I know it sucks.  Like with everything else, Ajusta, your body weight will stabilize given some time.  Hopefully this is just a fleeting symptom for you.  There are many that appeased in my taper only briefly and never returned.

WR

I don't feel full or hunger its weird.  I only feel small hunger when I wake up in the morning .  The past couple of days I was eating a lot at night.  Now I control myself so I don't overeat.

I’ve had this 7 months now. It never goes away.

It is somehow connected to the squeezing sensation I get throughout my whole body as each dose wears off. All my abdominal muscles go tight along with every other part of my body and then my brain just wants sugar. I am not able to control it.

Before reinstating it was so bad that I was doing things like picking up bits of raw meat off the counter and trying to put them in my mouth before zi was aware what Zi was doing. My brain was telling me to eat my toothbrush... it is like the extreme panic has become utterly connected with eating.

I try to hang on and relax and tell myself it will pass but it just doesn’t until I have sugar.

I know they give glucose for neurotoxicity from excess glutamate. I am worried it is that.