Important Survey - Please Participate ×

9 months off and still bent

[bi...]

Billy,

I have tried to warn you about loading others with this much stuff. I am not surprised that your wife snapped. She is human and has her limitations too, no matter how much she might love you. Why don't you try as I suggested and seek a real counsellor. Like I said before, not a counsellor with a personal agenda, but one that is there to meet your needs. They are best equipped to hep you to help yourself. And, they will be in a better position to determine and suggest other help if they feel you might benefit. I don't understand why you will not seek some real-world help. Pick up the phone and call someone!

Take care, Billy.

Probably same situation as me where it seems no therapists know how to help at all and no meds help either.  And it feels hopeless when you know you can't turn to a med and that nothing in the way of therapy seems to help.

Probably same situation as me where it seems no therapists know how to help at all and no meds help either.  And it feels hopeless when you know you can't turn to a med and that nothing in the way of therapy seems to help.

I wonder how many people actually go a full term of therapy before giving up. And actually how many folks try all the different types of therapy, like yoga, a shrink, etc....

I wonder how many people actually go a full term of therapy before giving up. And actually how many folks try all the different types of therapy, like yoga, a shrink, etc....

I would guess a great majority of the people go to a therapist, a counselor, hypnotist or any other form of therapy out there once or twice, then when they don't get the instant cure or gratification we've come to expect in this society, they bail.  But they can say that they tried it and it didn't work, I know I've used that line.  ::)

May be the majority, but I went to one for at least half a year and it was usually twice epr week instead of once.  And I went to another at least 10+ times I think.  Then one guy only once and two others 5+ times I think.

Ooh, ooh, me, me (waving hand in air).  I went to talk therapy for over a year, starting just before I started tapering off lorazepam and continuing for about 6 months afterward because little by very little, I was getting better - and no new pills!  At first I just went because I didn't know what else to do and it was probably 8-10 visits before I started to think it was helping.  I would still see her for a "tune up" now except she doesn't accept my new insurance plan.  :-\

Talk therapy of one kind or another with a good counselor can be very helpful, almost in a coach kind of way.  They can help you find your own answers and support you along the way.  Finding a good one isn't particularly easy - I asked friends and friends of friends - but for me it was sooo worth it. 

Finding a good counselor is extremely hard though apparently.  I've "liked" a couple, but they were only helping very rarely out of many appointments.  And one of them gave me conflicting advice from appointment to appointment about the same issues!  And she said I would be better off if my parents died and all these other things that were going too far or were really "out there".  I lkiked her as a person (and thought she was attractive lol), but for each time she would help me there would be several times I left feeling worse!  Like I said I've been to 5 or more and I don't think any were good.  And some would blame me and some would blame my parents. ok everyone knows you can't just blame your parents for your life!  I mean what good does it do to get ideas in my head that my parents weren't perfect?  they made less mistakes than most parents.  And what am I supposed to do, hate them?  That solves nothing.

if i sit here one more night i think that i'll explode

cabin fever is coming on and it's time to hit the road

i was born to rock and roll and i'm saying enough's enough

i wanna go out and spread my wings yeah i wanna strut my stuff

well i've paced the floor till i'm insane rock and roll is screaming through my veins

got a troubled soul that cant be tamed uncivilized but not ashamed of the things i just cant change

so dont try to get inside my brain no no

i'm deadly passion i'm on fire a burning rage of pure desire

so dont keep me in a cage

dont clip my wings so i cant fly cant you see i wanna touch the sky

cause being free is everything

i'm gonna take a five gallon can of gasoline and i'm gonna burn it down

these 4 walls that close me in gonna knock em down to the ground

up from the smoke i will fly what did you think i'd lay down and die???

i'm wild and wicked i am alive...

the end

by billy t kid

Finding a good counselor is extremely hard though apparently.  I've "liked" a couple, but they were only helping very rarely out of many appointments.  And one of them gave me conflicting advice from appointment to appointment about the same issues!  And she said I would be better off if my parents died and all these other things that were going too far or were really "out there".  I lkiked her as a person (and thought she was attractive lol), but for each time she would help me there would be several times I left feeling worse!  Like I said I've been to 5 or more and I don't think any were good.  And some would blame me and some would blame my parents. ok everyone knows you can't just blame your parents for your life!  I mean what good does it do to get ideas in my head that my parents weren't perfect?  they made less mistakes than most parents.  And what am I supposed to do, hate them?  That solves nothing.

Midnight...I have to LOL at that.  I'm a therapist and everything you said is SO true.  Not many good ones out there.

Leslie

Billy,

I hope you ( and others) can get past the inhibition and self imposed judgements regarding therapy - going to a therapist does not mean you are 'crazy' ( whatever that means in a totally crazy world we happen to live in)....sometimes it's crazy not to seek help when you are in pain. Therapy is like art, or music - there are good musicians and not so good. Hope you can find a good one.... What have you got to lose by trying?

-Bill