Open Group  ·  68 members

Music Lovers

Classical and Opera

[re...]

Nice Leslie, hoping that Evan will be back someday and add his wonderful Music and Hx. I was learning a lot about Classical Music. Great job with your pic placement. :)

• 2 weeks later...

"What Gershwin produced was not a “jazz concerto” but a rhapsodic work for “piano and jazz band” incorporating elements of European symphonic music and American jazz with his inimitable melodic gift and keyboard facility."

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/gershwin/guides/story-behind-gershwins-rhapsody-blue/

"Rhapsody in Blue is a 1924 musical composition by American composer George Gershwin for solo piano and jazz band, which combines elements of classical music with jazz-influenced effects."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody_in_Blue

It's stunning, whatever it is.

[46...]

Mozart - Flute and Harp Concerto (Andante)

Lovely, Shook - I've got it on in the background now. When I was young I played the violin and flute, but I much prefer being on the listening end.  :)

Never could get the hang of playing them both at once anyway.  ;D

Can you still play both? Separately, I mean.  ;D

I much prefer the version on the Amadeus soundtrack album, also conducted by Neville Marriner. But it seems the vids on YouTube have been blocked on copyright grounds.

[46...]

Can you still play both? Separately, I mean.  ;D

I much prefer the version on the Amadeus soundtrack album, also conducted by Neville Marriner. But it seems the vids on YouTube have been blocked on copyright grounds.

Huh, I'll hafta look into the Amadeus version - I love good ol' Neville Mariner, may he rest in peace.  I have some great Academy of St Martin in the Fields works of his somewhere around this joint.

Nah, once I realized that a musical career was not for me, I let it all slide. There's a piece that I still sqeak out on the flute, and I used to yank out the old fiddle once in a while until the horsehair just exploded off the bow one day. Never got around to replacing it and slid it under my bed. Then one of the cats got mysteriously territorial for some reason and peed on the violin case's strap, so that's a sign of I-don't-know-what. ::)

You've inspired me, I'll have to pull those old instruments out.  :)

I love good ol' Neville Mariner, may he rest in peace.  I have some great Academy of St Martin in the Fields works of his somewhere around this joint.

The Amadeus recordings were done with St Martin in the Fields. Stellar stuff.

You've inspired me, I'll have to pull those old instruments out.

My work here is done.  :)

I can picture your cats meowing as you play. Better spray some Febreze on that violin case.

[46...]

Hah, the cat pee was gone from the strap in sixty seconds (distilled vinegar makes it vanish), and the other cats spent the rest of the evening explaining to him to knock it off, with their little fists and fangs.  ;D

Yas, gonna dig out my CDs, or maybe just comb YouTube for awhile.  :thumbsup:

Claude Debussy

hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=246&h=138&st
Clair de Lune
pianist: Rafał Blechacz

One more with Rafał Blechacz, because I just now found it,
and he plays Clair de Lune the way it should be played,
but so rarely is.

"Bump" Evan thanks for such beautiful music :)

Claude Debussy

Clair de Lune

but so rarely is.

Clair de Lune of course is a favorite. Maybe you're familiar with Walt Disney's Fantasia, his audacious experiment to marry the nascent and "unserious" art form of animation with classical music, so it could be heard and appreciated by a wider audience. His enthusiastic partner in this was Leopold Stokowski, who reorchestrated the selected pieces to suit the segments.

Clair de Lune was chosen and completed but ultimately cut from the feature to shorten its lengthy running time. It was considered "lost" until a workprint was discovered in 1992 and eventually restored for home video release.

Claude Debussy

Clair de Lune

but so rarely is.

Clair de Lune of course is a favorite. Maybe you're familiar with Walt Disney's Fantasia, his audacious experiment to marry the nascent and "unserious" art form of animation with classical music, so it could be heard and appreciated by a wider audience. His enthusiastic partner in this was Leopold Stokowski, who reorchestrated the selected pieces to suit the segments.

Clair de Lune was chosen and completed but ultimately cut from the feature to shorten its lengthy running time. It was considered "lost" until a workprint was discovered in 1992 and eventually restored for home video release.

Thanks for information, I love this also just so beautiful.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

...and musicals!

Not big on Andrew Lloyd Webber, but like this tune from The Phantom of the Opera...

Best to listen without looking at the distracting slideshow.

That was lovely. I was being lulled to sleep, then came the loud applause.  :)

Mahler: Symphony No. 5

My favorite recording. The Adagietto starts at 44:53 if you can't wait. Rudolph Barshai gets the tempo right....

• 3 months later...