Open Group  ·  68 members

Music Lovers

Classical and Opera

[re...]

Franz Liszt

hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=196&h=110&st
Hungarian Rhapsody No.2
pianist: Ádám György

This is one of the best things I've seen on YouTube.
The Liszt composition is incredible - and incredibly difficult to perform.
But the performance by young Ádám György is close to flawless, and simply riveting.
The video is clear and clean and wonderfully cut.
Even the piano is beautiful.
Don't miss this one.

Franz Liszt

Hungarian Rhapsody No.2
pianist: Ádám György

This is one of the best things I've seen on YouTube.
The Liszt composition is incredible - and incredibly difficult to perform.
But the performance by young Ádám György is close to flawless, and simply riveting.
The video is clear and clean and wonderfully cut.
Even the piano is beautiful.
Don't miss this one.

BRAVO! This was indeed riveting.

Pyotr Ilych Tchaikovsky

The Sleeping Beauty
Grande valse villageoise
a.k.a. The Garland Waltz

Gimnazija Kranj
Symphony Orchestra
Nejc Bečan, Conductor

A first-rate performance by Slovenian highschool students,

really amazing when you consider the youth of the orchestra,

and of the conductor, who was born in 1984, making him

only 26 years old at the time of this concert in 2010.

This waltz occurs at the opening of Act I of Tchaikovsky's

ballet, The Sleeping Beauty.

Sergei Rachmaninoff

Piano Concerto No.2 in C-minor
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, 1974
Herbert von Karajan, Conductor
Alexis Weissenberg, Soloist
rebroadcast on Russian television show "Kultura" - April 5, 2013

The year is 1943. World War II rages across Europe and the Pacific. The emigre Russian composer Sergei Rachmaninoff, having just become an American citizen, performs his last concert at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, then returns to his Beverly Hills home to die of advanced melanoma. At that same time, piano prodigy Herbert von Karajan is beginning to make a name for himself as a conductor in Austria, Germany, and elsewhere in Nazi-occupied Europe. His Nazi Party membership is some help to his musical career, but his marriage to a part-Jewish woman is not so helpful. Following the war and some close calls with Soviet authorities in occupied Austria, Karajan goes on to become probably the best, and certainly the best-known, conductor of the latter 20th Century. Meanwhile, in Istanbul, Turkey, Alexis Weissenberg, another piano prodigy 20 years younger than Karajan, is living with his mother, the two having recently escaped from a Nazi concentration camp in Bulgaria with the help of a German guard who admired his accordian playing. Weissenberg would later emigrate to Israel, and then to France, where he would become one of the greatest pianists of postwar Europe.

Despite their apparently antithetical backgrounds, it was inevitable that two European musicans as great as Weissenberg and Karajan would eventually work together. Their 1967 performance of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 is legendary, and you can watch about three minutes of it on YouTube. As far as I know, it is impossible to view the entire performance anywhere on the internet for free, but if you care to pay for the pleasure - and I sure it's worth paying for - you can view the full performance online here.

This 1974 performance of Rachmaninoff's stunning Second Piano Concerto features Karajan's powerful conducting with Weissenberg's sympatico pianism. While not quite as famous as their Tchaikovsky concerto, it is just as wonderful to watch, and hear. It will reach inside you and squeeze your heart.

Evan, just finished listening, I like this every much, good choices, I listened to both just beautiful, Thanks for the information, and both did some squeezing of my Heart. Bravo. I love this Thread.     

Evan, just listened to 10 minutes, I like this every much, good choice, I will listen to full version, I love this Thread.  

Well don't miss the 3d Movement. It's the one everyone knows. And it's great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not an area of music I am expert in but I know what I like.

Henry Purcell - entitled music for the funeral of Queen Mary: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aPhVoxFqxA

Not all the music was apparently sung at Queen Mary's funeral, who knows I wasn't there but the two soloists - Celine Scheen and Hana Blazikova - are really extra special.

Pretty Gluck for a rainy day here in N.E. USA -- do you think it a little slow, though? 

Oh wow wanna that was beautiful, hope Evan will show up and give his opinion. :smitten: