Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Neurontin Taper

[be...]

I've started my very slow clonazepam taper (5% reduction every 2 weeks, curently on 3mg). My question relates to the 3300 mg of Neurontin that my doctor also prescribed for me. Does anyone have any experience doing a neurontin taper?

Hi,

Why do you take the Neurontin? Was it rescribed fro your benzo withdrawal, or for some other reason?

My doctor prescribed the neurontin to help with benzo withdrawal.

My doctor prescribed the neurontin to help with benzo withdrawal.

Everything I've come across suggests that it is no help. If we are quickly withdrawn from a large dose of benzo, then an anticonvulsant would be adviseable - this is not tha case with you, is it? Neurontin caries its own set of potential problems.

I am still looking for advise on getting off Neurontin. Any suggestions on how to conduct a taper off 3300 mg Neurontin?

Hi,

I have no experince of it, but some of the other members might. I'll see if I can dig up some information later.

Hey Taper,

lol, if you look at my sig you see that I... well, kinda pretty much do things simple and hard. lol :sick::P

Neurontin (for people who don't know) = gabapentin = a relatively new antieleptic drug also used for mood disorders. It has gained interest over recent years as a "less addicting" tx for anxiety.

If your doc prescribed it to help with benzo withdrawal, then I am just wondering you're here asking us how to taper it? ???

I could tell you not to try kicking both simultaneously, but really I need to know why you're not happy with your doc's plan.

thanks,

Ten

i knew'd i had somewheres :P

Colin, here's something I saw recently while researching and filed it away. It's only a year old too - Gabapentin-Assisted Benzodiazepine Withdrawal. Look:

"While a slow tapering of benzodiazepines may take several months until complete detoxification, our case confirms a previous report that gabapentin treatment can be a more rapid alternative, even in patients with a history of multidrug dependence including cocaine and opiate abuse.

Besides transient insomnia, all typical withdrawal symptoms were prevented by gabapentin in our case.

Patients also described a “benzodiazepine-like” effect even after definitive wash-out of the benzodiazepines."

It's quite interesting--also discussed are topiramate's (Topamax) & carbamazepine's (Tegretol) role in mitigating BZD w/d. (These are two more anticonvulsants.)

Gabapentin has a far-preferrable side-effect profie and is universally tolerated better, so it has the most favor for these uses.

Ten

Hi,

Prof.Ashton wasn't enthusiastic about Neurontin. For Neurontin to enable a quicker withdrawal (with no lingering withdrawal effects after withdrawal), it would have to somehow aid GABA receptor repair - I'm unaware of evidence for this. It would be intersting to find out if Ashton has anything to add since the 2002 edition of her manual. I think if that if really did help, we would already know about it. I can see that it may well have use in CT or rapid withdrawals. Of course, I don't recommend rapid withdrawals, but there can be exceptional circumstances where such withdrawals need to be carried out.

Well, allowing a faster taper to 0 mg and healing the deficits induced by BZDs are two different things. A miracle drug might cover both aims someday. :) Meanwhile, it is conceivable that gabapentin may ameliorate symptoms long enough to stop BZDs in a faster, more comfortable fashion. This is what the study addresses and is likely what Benzotaper's doctor is trying for.

Taper,

Ive been on these boards for quite sometime and while I dont know all the techincal jargon (benzo brain) I can tell you I've read alot mixed reviews concerning Neurontin and benzodiazepine w/d. For some its been a life saver for others it only made matters worst, I imagine its just luck of the draw. Ten is correct that you shouldn't try to taper both drugs simultaneously I would suggest tapering K first than the Neurontin as Im sure thats exactly what your doing.

Best of luck,

Dave

Colin-

Minimal side-effects; very well tolerated and very few drug-drug interactions. I've never taken it, so I cannot relay anything from personal experience.... you made me do a lil' add'tl research, tho :P --->

You may be interested to learn that Pfizer, the company behind Neurontin, has recently synthesized another compound, chemically similar but more potent, called pregabalin (pronounced pre/GAB/alin).

The brand-name is Lyrica--and guess what? This one's controlled (schedule V)!

In the brain, these drugs work by "decreasing calcium firing of excitatory neurotransmitter receptors." -Florida Detox

The risk for some real dependency issues on this stuff is higher that I'd supposed, Colin. Check this out -

"From a few reports I've had, patients have been prescribed the anticonvulsant dose of Neurontin for benzodiazepine withdrawal. This is cause for concern because such a dose is equivolant to high levels of Klonopin and could lead to difficulty in tapering from Neurontin." -Dr. Reg Peart

Dr. Peart goes so far as to claim that Neurontin and BZDs are cross-tolerant & cross-dependent and that this is why the agent is well-suited to ease withdrawal symptoms. However, I don't put much stock in that simply because I have not read--anywhere else--that gabapentin & BZDs act through such methodologically identical routes (i.e., direct influence upon GABA/BZD receptor sites).

Saying that two drugs are cross-tolerant is a big step. I don't think they are 100%.

You asked about withdrawal symptoms. Peart says, "All references [concerning Neurontin] warn of avoiding abrupt withdrawal and the use of a tapered withdrawal" and that "symptoms reported include anxiety, insomnia, nausea, pain, sweating, vomiting, severe and repeated seizures, ataxia, nystgmus, fatigue and dizziness."

Also, here's an anecdotal report which I found very interesting:

"I went to a drug a drug rehab center. 1600mg of Neurontin 4x a day. 2 days before I was released they put me on 800mg 3x a day. I was released with no aftercare. I went through a week of nasty withdrawl. Severe Anxiety, Sleeplessness, constant sweating, loss of appetite, Two weeks have gone by now and I am finally starting to feel ok. Still stuggling with Benzo withdrawl but that will pass. Bottom line I wanted to get across here is that Neurontin withdrawl is very real and nasty. Not as nasty as A benzo withdrawl by far but still exsists. Dont quit cold turkey. I had no choice." -Source

So you made me read up on it more.

And now I know I would not want to toy with it!

:) Ten

It's been ages since I've read about Neurontin, but I recalled that it didn't sound positive. ;) And as I said, members here have not been positive about it either. Actually, I've yet to come across any anticonvulsant or psychoactive drug that present few problems with use or withdrawal - not that I have anything like an exhaustive knowledge. I have taken quite a number of anticonvulsants in the past though, but all pretty much short-term, except Clonazepam.

Neurontin doesn't sound as though it's worth the risk. Having withdrawn from a benzo, and then to having to withdraw from Neurontin doesn't strike me as a fun thing to do. :(

It's been ages since I've read about Neurontin, but I recalled that it didn't sound positive. ;) And as I said, members here have not been positive about it either.

:2funny: Yeah yeah yeah already!  Ok, ok you were RIGHT all along. :muscle::muscle:

:pokey:

(It's true, you were. I had to go through all that reading! lol)

Neurontin doesn't sound as though it's worth the risk. Having withdrawn from a benzo, and then to having to withdraw from Neurontin doesn't strike me as a fun thing to do. :(

Yeah, you know I first encountered people who by their own admission, "abused" Neurontin while I was on Soberrecovery.com. It struck me as odd/amusing when I first saw it. Now, it doesn't at all.

I know how a pillhead thinks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ten!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/sego2lily/GREATJOB.jpg

Great job on becoming Benzo-free!

Hi again, Zephyr.

I'm going through the posts and the first two have posts from you wishing a happy 4th July. That is fine, but threads should be on-topic. As per my post a couple of minutes ago to you, start such a thread on the off-topics board. I notice that you have just posted to a lot of other threads - if they too are 'happy 1st July' posts, I will be removing them. No big deal, just letting you know, that's all.

Take care.

Edit: I'll let go the posts to member's' blogs.

2nd edit: typo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

You are on a high dose of neurontin.  You can taper a bit quicker from the higher doses but you must slow down once you get under 2000mg.  I would taper neurontin after you are off of your klonopin for at least 6 months.  Neurontin is a rough drug to taper from and I don't know how long you have been on it.  Since you are already on the neurontin it will make it a bit easier to taper your klonopin without the awful withdrawal that comes with this drug.

When it is time to taper your neurontin I would go very slow because the withdrawals, although not lasting as long as benzo withdrawals, can be just as hard.   It all depends on the individual.

<off topic>

Hi DMP, just wanted to hello - it's bee ages since I've seen you here. I hope you are keeping well.

</off topic>

Hello Colin,

It HAS been awhile.  Still struggling with my reinstatement.  Will keep you all posted when feeling better.

Donna