Open Group  ·  68 members

Music Lovers

I AM Rockfan, therefore I am... a rock fan: You knew I was going to do this...

[ro...]

Rocks - Primal Scream

Found great live version (for me...this song must be live version, & even better when Mani's on bass!)  -  (Song is Not a Rolling Stones cover.  Primal Scream)

"'Rocks' is a song by British group Primal Scream, taken from their fourth album, Give Out But Don't Give Up. The song was released as a single in 1994 and reached number seven on the UK Singles Chart, acting as a double A-side with another of the band's songs, "Funky Jam". Together they were the highest-charting Primal Scream single until "Country Girl" in 2006. In 2018 the song received a Silver certification from the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) for sales exceeding 200,000 copies."

8) 8) 8)  :socool:

Rocks - Primal Scream

Found great live version (for me...this song must be live version, w/Mani on bass!)  -  (Song is Not a Rolling Stones cover.  Primal Scream)

"'Rocks' is a song by British group Primal Scream, taken from their fourth album, Give Out But Don't Give Up. The song was released as a single in 1994 and reached number seven on the UK Singles Chart, acting as a double A-side with another of the band's songs, "Funky Jam". Together they were the highest-charting Primal Scream single until "Country Girl" in 2006. In 2018 the song received a Silver certification from the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) for sales exceeding 200,000 copies."

8) 8) 8)  :socool:

:wide-eyed:

Yes sir, I am a Tom Waits fan!

Excellent!  8)

Tom Waits ~ Big Black Mariah (Live)

Always good to meet another Tom Waits fan :)

What are your top three Tom Waits albums? Anybody who is a Waits fan can feel free to respond too. (Or if you are not a Waits fan but feel like listening to his entire catalogue lol). Mine are:

1. Rain Dogs

2. Bone Machine

3. Orphans

Great thing about Tom is that he has so much variety and depth that almost everyone will give a different answer.

Yes sir, I am a Tom Waits fan!

Excellent!  8)

Tom Waits ~ Big Black Mariah (Live)

Always good to meet another Tom Waits fan :)

What are your top three Tom Waits albums? Anybody who is a Waits fan can feel free to respond too. (Or if you are not a Waits fan but feel like listening to his entire catalogue lol). Mine are:

1. Rain Dogs

2. Bone Machine

3. Orphans

Great thing about Tom is that he has so much variety and depth that almost everyone will give a different answer.

My top 3 favorites are:

Big Time (live)

Rain Dogs

Heartattack & Vine and Blue Valentine are tied for third.

Good stuff Menard!!

I'll add a favorite version of Sweet Jane:

by Cowboy Junkies

Excellent!!

One of my favorite Cowboy Junkies tunes:

Cowboy Junkies ~ Common Disaster

Shocked not already posted  :o  ???  (Did do a thread search.  If post is upload-only, w/out title &/or artist text typed in, won't appear on thread searches.  IT-thing.)

I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones

8) 8) 8)

&, yeah, that is Courtney Love, bride.

My top 3 favorites are:

Big Time (live)

Rain Dogs

Heartattack & Vine and Blue Valentine are tied for third.

Good stuff Menard!!

I think I need to give Big Time another listen.

Alabama Shakes - Hang Loose

Love Spreads - The Stone Roses

2013SR_image8DennisMorris300113.jpg                             

Love Velvet's version.  Here is another.  Sweet Jane:  Marie Mckee and Bono

Lone Justice...One of my favorites

I'll add a favorite version of Sweet Jane:

by Cowboy Junkies

Whoa, sorry I didn't respond to these. Very nice versions :)

I'll post another Velvet Underground, but first, a short story about Lou Reed from his biography. I know this area is supposed to be about positive stuff, so if you only want that, then you can skip the anecdote:

"As a teenager living in suburban Freeport, Long Island, Lou felt alienated. He became increasingly anxious and “resistant to most socializing, unless it was on his terms,” according to his sister Merrill Reed Weiner, whose parents were overwhelmed by her brother’s behaviors and by his disregard of them, and so they sought treatment for Lou. They would comply with a psychiatrist’s recommendation.

In the summer of 1959, Lou was administered 24 ECT sessions at two-day intervals at Creedmoor State Psychiatric Hospital in Queens, New York. Weiner recalls, “I watched my brother as my parents assisted him coming back into our home afterwards, unable to walk, stupor-like. It damaged his short term memory horribly and throughout his life he struggled with memory retention, probably directly as a result of those treatments.”

Weiner continues to be pained by her brother’s ECT, and she feels sorry for their parents who, she tells us, may have been guilty of much poor parenting but not, as some have suggested, of seeking treatment for Lou’s homosexual urges.

Weiner remains angered by doctors for destroying her family, concluding that “the ‘help’ they received from the medical community set into motion the dissolution of my family of origin for the rest of our lives. . . . My parents were like lambs being led to the slaughter — confused, terrified, and conditioned to follow the advice of doctors. . . . Our family was torn apart the day they began those wretched treatments.”

Levy concludes about Lou’s ECT, “The punishment solidified Lou’s unflappable spirit of rebellion.” While psychiatry rejects Levy’s view of ECT as “punishment,” Lou himself would likely have agreed with this Levy analysis: “His parents and by extension civilized society objected to his defiance—even then, he refused to play by anyone else’s rules, and as punishment for breaking them, he faced an adolescent’s worst nightmare.”

Prior to his ECT, Levy notes, “Lou had already embraced the counterculture, but electroshock secured his allegiance to the underground. If he wanted to escape, he would have to do it himself. No one, not anyone in mainstream society at least, would do it for him. He would later dedicate his life to exposing the seamy underbelly beneath the sanitized reality presented by the mainstream, eternally distrustful of any authority figure, especially any record executive, after he had seen authority be so wrong.”

Lou’s talents enabled his rage over his ECT to be transformed into the kind of art that deeply touched society’s outcasts and victims of illegitimate authority. But while Lou found artistic fuel from his ECT, it scarred him with an unpleasant defensiveness. Throughout much of his life, Lou would protect himself by attacking, and he was often viewed, even by his friends and lovers, as a “jerk” and an “asshole.”

Psychiatry would prefer the general public hear ECT testimonials from advocates such as Kitty Dukakis rather than the ECT realities of Lou Reed as well as of other public figures for whom ECT was a disaster, a lengthy list including Ernest Hemingway and William Styron."

From an MIA article based on his biography "Dirty Blvd" by Aidan Levy

https://www.madinamerica.com/2019/05/lou-reed-not-kill-us-can-radicalize-us/

Velvet Underground - Head Held High