Important Survey - Please Participate ×

My Liquid Daily Micro Taper (updated)

[Cr...]

Realistically, it is not really practical to try to measure to .01ml accuracy.  Even though your syringe may be graduated in .01 increments, as a practical matter it will be extremely difficult to consistently measure .01.  Then you have the issue of residual liquid clinging to surfaces of your syringe, and the liquid in the tip.

I respectfully disagree with that. I had absolutely no trouble reducing in .01 ml increments. It's really not that hard to eyeball it. Took me less than 10 seconds to dose myself each time.  If you're slightly over or under each day, it's going to average out after 10 days anyway.

You will find PG is pretty viscous liquid, and dilution makes it much easier to work with,  One of the major advantages of liquid is the abilitity to dilute, and measure much more precise and consistent doses.  If you just dilute 9:1 (.1mg=1ml), it will make the process much easier.

If you do this, then the math changes and the portable bottle is no longer the methodology that i'm describing here. I think it's fine to choose any methodology one wants, but for ease of use and portability, this works fine. "Easy" is a relative term. I found it super easy to dose myself once the solution was made. Reducing by 1% per day is as easy as it gets... for me.

3mg/100 days is  almost 15% per 2 weeks at your current dose.  That's pretty agressive, and of course will increase as a percentage as you go forward.  Most folks would that rate too fast.  It definitely would have been too fast for me.  At 3mg, I was cutting .0125mg/day.

At such a low dose, it's impossible to only go 10% per month, or else you never finish. When i went on the last 100-day taper, my dose was about equivalent to 3 mg of V. And i was reducing 1% per day, or 30% a month. You just have to do that to finish, or else you face infinite 10% reductions. Yes, one can slow down as needed, but eventually you HAVE to do more than 10% a month.

Just my humble opinion.  :thumbsup:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Cr...]

• [bu...]

• [my...]

• [...]

Thanks guys... It would be quite difficult to take a part of each dose as liquid as I'm already splitting into 3 half tablets as it is so maybe doing just the lunch time dose in liquid is the way to go and making a 0.5mg 1ml solution would be easier to manage?

And just tried dissolving a diazepam in PG and it's not happening in the same way as it does in water... Probably due to the viscosity. Whoops...! Should have crushed it first.

I live and learn.

Thanks guys... It would be quite difficult to take a part of each dose as liquid as I'm already splitting into 3 half tablets as it is so maybe doing just the lunch time dose in liquid is the way to go and making a 0.5mg 1ml solution would be easier to manage?

And just tried dissolving a diazepam in PG and it's not happening in the same way as it does in water... Probably due to the viscosity. Whoops...! Should have crushed it first.

I live and learn.

Only about 1-2 % of your tablet is actually diazepam , the remainder is inactive binders, fillers, colorants, and other excipient ingredients.  Some  of those will insoluble in water, and some insoluble in PG.  There will always be some insoluble residue in your mix.

The diazepam IS soluble in PG.

Only about 1-2 % of your tablet is actually diazepam , the remainder is inactive binders, fillers, colorants, and other excipient ingredients.  Some  of those will insoluble in water, and some insoluble in PG.  There will always be some insoluble residue in your mix.

Yes - makes sense but with the water I just chucked a tablet in and it broke up. With the PG it didn't seem to work that way.

Did you crush it before putting it in with the PG or leave it longer to dissolve?

Yes - makes sense but with the water I just chucked a tablet in and it broke up. With the PG it didn't seem to work that way.

Did you crush it before putting it in with the PG or leave it longer to dissolve?

I always crushed it because i'm OCD.  :thumbsup:

Just as diazepam is soluble in PG, but not in water, the inactive ingredients in your tablet will have different solubility factors in different liquids.

But it can't hurt to crush the tablet anyway.

Crash,

I am currently on .118 mg of K.  I have .5 mg pills.  Would like to reduce at 1% per day and would like to mix the solution daily if possible at the beginning as to not waste any pills in case this doesn't work.  I have vodka.  Also want to know how long it take for the K to dissolve.  I dose once per day in the a.m.

Thanks.

Crash,

I am currently on .118 mg of K.  I have .5 mg pills.  Would like to reduce at 1% per day and would like to mix the solution daily if possible at the beginning as to not waste any pills in case this doesn't work.  I have vodka.  Also want to know how long it take for the K to dissolve.  I dose once per day in the a.m.

Thanks.

My method doesn't mix daily. I made a batch that allows one to reduce 1% per day until they are done. If you need a daily mix, you'll have to ask those folks who do that. If you decide to do this method, then here's the math. You'll only need 7 of your .5 mg pills.

--

To liquefy the .118 mg per day dose:

Put 3.54 (3.5 is probably close enough) mg of meds in a bottle. Add 10 ml of vodka to dissolve. Add water to make it 30 ml total.

This will give you a 30-day supply.

To start, take 1 ml doses with a 1 ml syringe (see the link in my signature for where to purchase these). That's .118 mg per day of meds. Same as what you take now.

Reduce .01 ml (same as 1%) on your syringe every day. Nice slow taper at .001 mg reduction per day. Slow down or speed up as needed. Slowing down can be done by reducing it every other day, etc. Speeding up can be done by taking out more than 1% each day.

After 30 days, then just refill the bottle using this same exact formula and continue where you left off on the syringe.

Note: You don't need to think in terms of mg or ml after making the solution. Just think about how much % you are dropping each day on the syringe.

I'd hold for one week with the liquid before tapering. Then start the daily microtaper. I started in almost exactly the same place you are now and was off in 100 days without any trouble.  :thumbsup:

Crash,

Thanks.

My method doesn't mix daily. I made a batch that allows one to reduce 1% per day until they are done. If you need a daily mix, you'll have to ask those folks who do that. If you decide to do this method, then here's the math. You'll only need 7 of your .5 mg pills.

--

Put 3.54 (3.5 is probably close enough) mg of meds in a bottle. Add 10 ml of vodka to dissolve. Add water to make it 30 ml total.

To start, take 1 ml doses with a 1 ml syringe (see the link in my signature for where to purchase these). That's .118 mg per day of meds. Same as what you take now.

Reduce .01 ml (same as 1%) on your syringe every day. Nice slow taper at .001 mg reduction per day. Slow down or speed up as needed. Slowing down can be done by reducing it every other day, etc. Speeding up can be done by taking out more than 1% each day.

After 30 days, then just refill the bottle using this same exact formula and continue where you left off on the syringe.

Note: You don't need to think in terms of mg or ml after making the solution. Just think about how much % you are dropping each day on the syringe.

I'd hold for one week with the liquid before tapering. Then start the daily microtaper. I started in almost exactly the same place you are now and was off in 100 days without any trouble.  :thumbsup:

This won't work, Crash.  About half of the K will end up on the bottom, not in solution.  You keep making the same mistake of not using enough liquid.  Your concentrations are too high.  I'm not trying to be critical, but I obviously can't let this go.  I have to speak up.

Crash,

Thanks.

--

This won't work, Crash.  About half of the K will end up on the bottom, not in solution.  You keep making the same mistake of not using enough liquid.  Your concentrations are too high.  I'm not trying to be critical, but I obviously can't let this go.  I have to speak up.

I guess i just don't understand what you are saying. The rule of thumb is 1 ml of vodka for 1 mg of K. This is 3x that much. Once the solution is made, i don't see how adding water affects it. I asked my cousin who has a doctorate in pharmacy and she agrees with me. Can you point me to a scientific source that says otherwise? I'd be more than happy to read it.  :thumbsup:

I guess i just don't understand what you are saying. The rule of thumb is 1 ml of vodka for 1 mg of K. This is 3x that much. Once the solution is made, i don't see how adding water affects it. I asked my cousin who has a doctorate in pharmacy and she agrees with me. Can you point me to a scientific source that says otherwise? I'd be more than happy to read it.  :thumbsup:

I've pointed this out to you before.  The data and sources are all there...

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=97737.msg1861205#msg1861205

It clearly shows the solubility of K in 80 proof/40% ABV alcohol is .6mg/ml.  That means 1ml can dissolve up to .6mg K, no more.  I don't know where you get 1ml per 1mg K - that won't work.

When you said to dissolve 3.5mg into 10ml, that was okay since 10ml of 80 proof will dissolve up to 6mg.  But, when you add only 20ml water you now have 30ml of 13% liquid mixture (4ml alcohol, 26ml water...remember the 80 proof is 60% water).  The solubility of K in that is about .06mg/ml, so 30ml will only hold 1.8mg.  You're trying to put in 3.5mg: it won't work...1.7mg will come back out of solution.

It clearly shows the solubility of K in 80 proof/40% ABV alcohol is .6mg/ml.  That means 1ml can dissolve up to .6mg K, no more.  I don't know where you get 1ml per 1mg K - that won't work.

When you said to dissolve 3.5mg into 10ml, that was okay since 10ml of 80 proof will dissolve up to 6mg.  But, when you add only 20ml water you now have 30ml of 13% liquid mixture (4ml alcohol, 26ml water...remember the 80 proof is 60% water).  The solubility of K in that is about .06mg/ml, so 30ml will only hold 1.8mg.  You're trying to put in 3.5mg: it won't work...1.7mg will come back out of solution.

I did read that thread and showed it to my cousin. She has a doctorate in this business and she disagrees with you. She said once the solution is made, adding water is not going to affect it. We just have a difference of opinion, but you are so certain that you're correct on this. I don't know what else to say. I guess i'm just not going to be allowed to have one thread of my own where i can discuss my method.

I would like the admins to lock this thread.

We don't lock threads because people disagree.  It's important to have these discussions because people are following this thread, so any methodology issues need to be hashed out.

I did read that thread and showed it to my cousin. She has a doctorate in this business and she disagrees with you. She said once the solution is made, adding water is not going to affect it. We just have a difference of opinion, but you are so certain that you're correct on this. I don't know what else to say. I guess i'm just not going to be allowed to have one thread of my own where i can discuss my method.

I would like the admins to lock this thread.

I'll stay off your thread, and I've done that since we talked about it.  But when I see something that is going to harm someone else, do you think I should say nothing?

I don't understand your cousins comment.  The final liquid has a limit and if it is exceeded the K will precipitate out.

Okay this has gotten pretty deep here . Its way over my head but what I am wondering is this . Is builder saying that the amount of liquid added to the meds will determine potency and actually make it stronger by adding less water ? So theoretically we are taking more then we think ? But how would that be possible if we determine the amount of mg's per day ,per dose for amount of days ? The amount of medication would remain the same .It cant increase unless you dont put in enough water to last that amount of days ,right ? Im using .6 ml vodka to dissolve .5 mg ativan then adding 7.4 ml water for a 4 day batch ( dosing twice daily ) .I would appreciate any opinions from those that have knowledge on solubility of ativan if this is enough vodka .I have been having a bit of a rocky road the last few days and cant figure out what is up . I have bypassed 4 ml recently and that could be it but now Im wondering . But oddly enough when I started this I was using only water and was fine I then went to only .3 ml vodka ,still fine . Just started the .6 ml fairly recently .Thoughts or clarification on any of this ?

. Is builder saying that the amount of liquid added to the meds will determine potency and actually make it stronger by adding less water?

Im using .6 ml vodka to dissolve .5 mg ativan then adding 7.4 ml water for a 4 day batch ( dosing twice daily ) 

So then you have 8ml of solution and that 8mls contains .5mg of ativan,  That means .1mg=1.6ml.

If, for example, you mixed .6ml vodka with your .5mg tablet, then added 9.4mls water, you would now have 10mls of solution, .1mg =2ml.  Your solution would be less concentrated.

Or,  if you mixed .6ml vodka with your .5mg tablet and added 4.4mls water you now have 5ml of solution, and .1mg=1ml  Your solution would be more concentrated.

Adding liquid lowers the concentration ("potency"), and reducing liquid increases the concentration ("potency").

Its like fixing a mixed drink, if you want it to be weak, you add more water, if you want it to be strong, you add less water.

That was a good explanation builder  :thumbsup: . If I am using .5 medication and 4.8 ml liquid total would I would wind up with each .1mg = .8 ml ? Now Im confused at what dose Im actually taking .I should have never changed my formula I started out with . Im dosing twice a day and using .39 ml per dose out of this 4.8 ml solution .

That was a good explanation builder  :thumbsup: . If I am using .5 medication and 4.8 ml liquid total would I would wind up with each .1mg = .8 ml ? Now Im confused at what dose Im actually taking .I should have never changed my formula I started out with . Im dosing twice a day and using .39 ml per dose out of this 4.8 ml solution .

No, .5mg in 4.8 ml liquid is .104mg per ml  (.5mg/4.8ml = .104mg/ml)

So .39mlsX.104=.04mg

The calculation would be much simpler if you dissolve a .5mg tablet in 5ml liquid.  Then .1mg=1ml.

Oh good .My figuring was actually accurate I just got there a different way then you did :) As long as its as accurate amount that is all that matters i guess . Something about this withdrawal business makes me lose IQ points randomly off and on ,lol. I have been on the 100 day plan working my way down .I started off with .20 mg med and 8 ml liquid but when I got down to .60 on my syringes I decided to just use a .5 mg tablet instead of weighing out tablets .Figured it was more accurate then the scale .But it does mess with my brain on and off because I got used to my old calculations .Just gos to show that once we come up with a formula its best to stick with it to the end if possible since most of us get a little spacey here and there due to these meds or our brains being under reconstruction  :D Anyway thank you very much for your help builder it is much appreciated

• 1 month later...

I have a question I am hoping you can help with.

In a previous taper I had a compounding pharmacy make up a liquid K. It did not sit well with me; it felt like I was taking no medicine at all. And after the two week mark on the refill it was even worse.

I am now beginning to slowly dry cut my 1 mg pills (trying to reduce between now and mid July to just .94--have a big vacation in August I don't want messed up by withdrawal symptoms) but they all weigh different amounts and I cannot get the cuts to be at all even. I am still near the full 1 mg so it is not a huge deal, but I think I will have to go with a liquid titration. I just don't know if making up a full month's worth of liquid as you describe here would be a problem for me, as I already had an issue with adjusting to the compounding pharmacy's liquid k. I am thinking a daily milk titration might be better. Any thoughts?

• 5 months later...

Note: This is an updated version. I've learned a lot since stepping off!

>>

I get a lot of PMs asking about my daily taper, so i figured i would post it here so that i can easily link to it and keep the conversation on the boards. Also, i'd love feedback from the more experienced BBs on where i can improve.

Materials:

1) 1 bottle (I used a 60 ml bottle for dosage and TSA reasons, but you can use whatever you want)

http://www.amazon.com/Pack--Essential-Fragrances-Chemicals-Re-Usable/dp/B01C7VKFUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459904942&sr=8-2&keywords=brown+60+ml+bottle

2) 100 1 ml syringes (easier to use a new one than wash them). I like these because they have a slip-tip for more accurate measuring.

http://www.amazon.com/slip-tip-disposable-syringe-without-needle/dp/B007ZDHYTK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

3) bottle of glycerin - this is only for taste. It is not required.

4) Vodka or propylene glycol - note that you will only be taking a TINY amount of alcohol per day (less than in fruit juice). But if that bothers you, then use propylene glycol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005PZBRUC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?qid=1459968276&sr=8-1&keywords=propylene+glycol&pi=SY200_QL40

5) water

6) meds

Preparation:

This is based on my 60 ml bottle. You can adjust as needed.

Pour enough vodka (or PG) into the brown bottle to dissolve your meds. A commonly cited amount is 1 ml per 1 mg of meds.

Calculate how much clonazepam (or whatever you're taking) will last 20 days

Pour it into the brown bottle to mix with the vodka. You now have a dissolved solution.

Pour in some glycerin if you want it to taste better. Not required.

Pour in enough water to fill the bottle to 60 ml.

Shake it all up

You now have a 60 ml solution that will last 20 days

NOTE: If you're taking a LOT of pills, you'll want to use a bigger bottle. Or split your doses between dry pills and liquid. For example, if your daily dose is 4 mg, then take 3.5 mg by pill and .5 mg by liquid. Just do the microtaper on the liquid. When you get down to 0 liquid, then go to 3 dry pill and .5 liquid. Etc.

Dosing:

I can only tell you what i did. You'll have to adjust for your own dosage and meds.

I dosed 3 times per day at 9:00 AM, 5:00 PM, and 1:00 AM.

At the start of my taper, i took 1 ml each time for 3 times per day. This comes out to 60 ml over 20 days time.

I shook the bottle for about 30 seconds before each dose just to make sure it was evenly distributed. Not really necessary if you have dissolved it in vodka or PG. But i'm OCD.

I used 1 ml syringe to dose. I just squirted the liquid into my mouth.

I was on a 100-day plan to finish off my last taper of .125 mg, so the first day, i dosed with 1 ml t.i.d. The second day, it was .99 ml. Third day, .98 ml. And so on.

If you're on a higher dose, then make a 200-day plan. Or 300-day. Whatever you need. Just adjust the syringe amounts accordingly. Or you could go down 1% every other day for a 200-day plan. Or down 1% every third day for a 300-day plan. The beauty of it is that you go down at your own rate, and strictly control how much you reduce without having to calculate it every day, etc.

Note here that the only "calculation" you have to make each day is to reduce the syringe by one little hash mark. It's really easy.

This method is portable. It does not require refrigeration. It only requires that you calculate your meds once (each new batch uses the same initial amount of meds).

I carried it in a brown plastic case, along with a real prescription compound in case i got pulled over or went through TSA.

I really appreciate all the help i've gotten on this board, so if this helps anyone else, then that would be great.  :thumbsup:

hi this method sounds very awesome and easy. however im confused how you kept track of your monthly reduction percentage, your daily mg intake, and how to coolerate with how much you take out with how much a percentage monthly you want to go by. im currently taking 2.5 klonapin at three doses a day. how in the world would i figure out the calculations for this to see where i am monthly etc? im in need of desperate help. thank you so much.

• 1 month later...

Note: This is an updated version. I've learned a lot since stepping off!

>>

I get a lot of PMs asking about my daily taper, so i figured i would post it here so that i can easily link to it and keep the conversation on the boards. Also, i'd love feedback from the more experienced BBs on where i can improve.

Materials:

1) 1 bottle (I used a 60 ml bottle for dosage and TSA reasons, but you can use whatever you want)

http://www.amazon.com/Pack--Essential-Fragrances-Chemicals-Re-Usable/dp/B01C7VKFUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459904942&sr=8-2&keywords=brown+60+ml+bottle

2) 100 1 ml syringes (easier to use a new one than wash them). I like these because they have a slip-tip for more accurate measuring.

http://www.amazon.com/slip-tip-disposable-syringe-without-needle/dp/B007ZDHYTK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

3) bottle of glycerin - this is only for taste. It is not required.

4) Vodka or propylene glycol - note that you will only be taking a TINY amount of alcohol per day (less than in fruit juice). But if that bothers you, then use propylene glycol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005PZBRUC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?qid=1459968276&sr=8-1&keywords=propylene+glycol&pi=SY200_QL40

5) water

6) meds

Preparation:

This is based on my 60 ml bottle. You can adjust as needed.

Pour enough vodka (or PG) into the brown bottle to dissolve your meds. A commonly cited amount is 1 ml per 1 mg of meds.

Calculate how much clonazepam (or whatever you're taking) will last 20 days

Pour it into the brown bottle to mix with the vodka. You now have a dissolved solution.

Pour in some glycerin if you want it to taste better. Not required.

Pour in enough water to fill the bottle to 60 ml.

Shake it all up

You now have a 60 ml solution that will last 20 days

NOTE: If you're taking a LOT of pills, you'll want to use a bigger bottle. Or split your doses between dry pills and liquid. For example, if your daily dose is 4 mg, then take 3.5 mg by pill and .5 mg by liquid. Just do the microtaper on the liquid. When you get down to 0 liquid, then go to 3 dry pill and .5 liquid. Etc.

Dosing:

I can only tell you what i did. You'll have to adjust for your own dosage and meds.

I dosed 3 times per day at 9:00 AM, 5:00 PM, and 1:00 AM.

At the start of my taper, i took 1 ml each time for 3 times per day. This comes out to 60 ml over 20 days time.

I shook the bottle for about 30 seconds before each dose just to make sure it was evenly distributed. Not really necessary if you have dissolved it in vodka or PG. But i'm OCD.

I used 1 ml syringe to dose. I just squirted the liquid into my mouth.

I was on a 100-day plan to finish off my last taper of .125 mg, so the first day, i dosed with 1 ml t.i.d. The second day, it was .99 ml. Third day, .98 ml. And so on.

If you're on a higher dose, then make a 200-day plan. Or 300-day. Whatever you need. Just adjust the syringe amounts accordingly. Or you could go down 1% every other day for a 200-day plan. Or down 1% every third day for a 300-day plan. The beauty of it is that you go down at your own rate, and strictly control how much you reduce without having to calculate it every day, etc.

Note here that the only "calculation" you have to make each day is to reduce the syringe by one little hash mark. It's really easy.

This method is portable. It does not require refrigeration. It only requires that you calculate your meds once (each new batch uses the same initial amount of meds).

I carried it in a brown plastic case, along with a real prescription compound in case i got pulled over or went through TSA.

I really appreciate all the help i've gotten on this board, so if this helps anyone else, then that would be great.  :thumbsup:

Its my understanding that PG will need to refrigerated if using for 20 days.

Great suggestions! Changes made.  :thumbsup:

[/quote)

Im somewhat confused by your method .. im am currently on 0.85 of lorazepam ...

So i would make a solution based on 20mg of tablets to 60 mls ....3mls to 1mg .. i don't understand how this can MT without a micro pippette is dosing  times a day ..?

Its my understanding that PG will need to refrigerated if using for 20 days.

Not correct.

I used the same 500ml bottle of PG-based liquid V (Roxane Diazepam Oral Solution 5mg=5ml) for over 2 years.

The mfgrs label specifically states it should be stored at room temp.  This appears on the label on the Roxane original 500ml container.

"Store at 25c (77f).  Excursions permitted to 15 to 30c (59 to 86f)"

The mfgr's listed shelf life is 3 years from date of original production/packaging.  Pharmacies use a standard 1 year expiry date when resold to the consumer.  Mine actually reached the mfgr's expiry 2 months before I finished my taper.  I continued to use it so I wouldn't have to open the second bottle (which is still on the shelf in my kitchen)

Thats valium , im using lorazepam and the bottle i had said which i dont use that needs to be refriigerated , im in UK...as a 150ml bottle 1mg to 5ml...