Lizie's three year update

[li...]

Thanks BurnedOut.  That was a very kind comment.

There was a time I relied on success stories to give me hope, so if my story inspired you in any way then I am very pleased.

Yay for "fortunate rejections"!  I think I would probably still be struggling if they had offered to "help"!

Wishing you the best,

:smitten:

[a8...]

Hi Lizie,

Our stories are very familiar, I too had fusions, and my pain mgt doc put me on K without telling me a thing about it.  Never had a problem getting off pills in 30 yrs of back pain, I never took them long.  By the time it was all done and I was in tolerance wd hell, I was on 8-10 pills at any given time.  I'm almost 20 months out now, and still having severe muscle cramps where I had injuries and the fusion and other joint surgeries. 

Did you suffer from extreme muscle spasms & cramps?  Also the nerve pain is getting me.  It's worse in the morning.  I'm doing acupressure points which helps some, and acupunture once a week.  I still have many sx's like dry skin, eczema, occasional anxiety, weak and nervy legs.  But overall I feel like I'm functioning well except for the pain in my low back from cramps & nerve pain which is stopping me from living well now.  When did all that leave you?

I feel like these stinking cramps will never leave.  I was taking flexeril until Dec., and it all got worse again.  Now I'm med free.

Thanks for sharing, and so happy as a fellow "spiney" you are healed.  It's a rougher road for us with spine issues.

Hugs, MG :smitten:

Hi MG, fellow "spiney"!  Wow you have been through a lot!

Yes, I have recovered from withdrawal but I still have my neck issues that sometimes lead to nerve pain in my arms if I overdo things.  Driving, for example, really aggravates the problem.

Frankly, I think it is something I am going to have to live with.  At least I am not drugged up, though. I feel well in myself, if you know what I mean; stronger and happier. 

To counteract the problem, I do light exercises, keep moving in general because it is worse if I sit around, eat well, rely on massages, heat etc. 

Acupuncture sounds like a great idea.

Stay in touch if it helps.

Lizie    :smitten:

[a8...]

Yes, I have recovered from withdrawal but I still have my neck issues that sometimes lead to nerve pain in my arms if I overdo things.  Driving, for example, really aggravates the problem.

Frankly, I think it is something I am going to have to live with.  At least I am not drugged up, though. I feel well in myself, if you know what I mean; stronger and happier. 

To counteract the problem, I do light exercises, keep moving in general because it is worse if I sit around, eat well, rely on massages, heat etc. 

Did you ever have overwhelming cramps in low back and legs?  I know mine are extreme.  I do light stretches, but muscles tighten right back up.  I do feel my legs getting very muscular and strong again, they always were from being athletic. 

I had a neck fusion and low back fusion.  The neck I get that nervy stuff going down arms into hands like an electric shock, and the nerve weakness, so know what you are talking about.  In the low back they are extreme, making it hard to walk at times.

I get a deep tissue massage once a week also.  When did you feel like the worst of spine stuff was over?

Hugs, MG

Hey Lizie. I am doing much better. My cycles of alternating bad days are fading out, finally! Healing is happening! Thank-you. So glad you are healed. It was like a blast from the past when I read your post. So happy I was able to help you in any way I could. Wishing you nothing but sunny days ahead.

Wow Lizie!!! It's so wonderful to hear about your benzo free life and how well you are doing. I remember very well the challenges you endured with relation to your fusion and subsequent pain.  We are fellow fusion survivors as well as fellow benzo survivors.  I'm thrilled you are well and like you, many long nights were spent reading success stories of others. 

Thank you so much for coming back and sharing your message of hope and patience with our members.

Hugs to you,

PG  :smitten:

Hi Pianogirl, fellow fusion and benzo survivor!  Thank you for remembering me.

You were the first to reply when I joined BB and your words were such a comfort to me.

Thank you!

Lizie  :smitten:

Hey Lizie. I am doing much better. My cycles of alternating bad days are fading out, finally! Healing is happening! Thank-you. So glad you are healed. It was like a blast from the past when I read your post. So happy I was able to help you in any way I could. Wishing you nothing but sunny days ahead.

"fading out"  that's wonderful, Jazzy!  You have been a real trooper through all this.

A nice "blast from the past" for both of us!

Sunny days for you, too, my friend ....  :smitten:

Did you ever have overwhelming cramps in low back and legs?  I know mine are extreme.  I do light stretches, but muscles tighten right back up.  I do feel my legs getting very muscular and strong again, they always were from being athletic. 

I had a neck fusion and low back fusion.  The neck I get that nervy stuff going down arms into hands like an electric shock, and the nerve weakness, so know what you are talking about.  In the low back they are extreme, making it hard to walk at times.

I get a deep tissue massage once a week also.  When did you feel like the worst of spine stuff was over?

Hugs, MG

I was away for a few days so sorry for not responding sooner, MG.

More often I had benzo flu where I just ached all over, sometimes to the point that I could hardly get off the sofa.  It wasn't specific to my spine.  As I wrote before, I think my neck and arm issues are something I am going to have to live with.  Massages and light exercise do help though.

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations for being three years off, Lizie!!!!

You are a true success story.

This is so inspring!

xoxo

Iggy  :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Iggy ... thank you  :smitten:

You are the inspiring one.

NFM ... we shared a long journey together, didn't we?

God bless you, my friend.  :smitten:

Lizie--read a book recommended by a fellow BB that made me think of you.  It's called Unlearn Your Pain, by Howard Schubiner, MD.  You might find something in it that helps.  He tries to help people who have chronic pain issues.  :smitten: 

Hey, you know what?  I am doing GREAT!  Just feeling like I've hit a new "high" of wellness and confidence about the future.  Thanks for asking! :thumbsup::smitten:

Thanks, Lizie.  I really think any one person's good news here is good news for everybody.  If we stick it out, our brains heal.  It's as simple as that, and the only remedy is TIME.  :)