An Unmeasured Success – Badsocref’s New & Improved Cold Turkey Success Story

[8d...]

[8d...]

Thanks Arkansas!

fwiw - Today marks my three year anniversary.  1096 nights ago, I stopped taking my nightly benzo sleeping pill, and started down a most interesting path.  I celebrated by going skiing today with my family. 

It does get better.  It may take a fair bit of work, but it does get better.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Al...]

• [La...]

• [13...]

• [...]

Badsocref,

Great post. These words were especially helpful to me:

I knew that I would heal.  That was never in doubt.  It took longer than I had hoped, so I looked for ways to stay focused on my impending healing.  I avoided scary posts, and looked for signs of improvement.  I didn’t ‘Google’ every symptom nor did I seek miracle fixes from herbs or supplements.  Each day I quantified and graphed my symptoms, and projected the day that I would hit the 80% healed point.  It was perhaps a silly exercise, but it provided me with some distraction and hope.

Some days, I just can't read the scary stories. I didn't C/T, but I did have an accelerated taper. I get tired of being told that I did it wrong. I couldn't fix the underlying medical issues caused by the Klonopin and alcohol without getting off both. Googling symptoms just feeds my anxiety, as do the posts about supplements. I balance activity with rest and nutrition. I'm 11 weeks out from the Klonopin taper and 6 days  out from being done with gabapentin. Each day, I note the improvements and watch for the triggers that set me back. I meditate. The  body heals in its own time.

Nice....

I was particularly motivated by your testimony while in China! How fabulous! You were drawn to the unknown unfamiliar exploration of life in a foreign country. And China no doubt was an adventure so many people only dream about. How fantastic is it that while in the throws of your own personal struggles you were able to appreciate another culture so vastly different from your own. I'm inspired to travel this upcoming year to a far off place much removed from what I understand and know as my comfort zone...thanks for sharing your story Bads....it matters maybe more than you think!!

Peace&Love

Hope& Faith

• 2 weeks later...
I keep.coming back to read your thread. Tapering off Ativan is hard. I post questions about symptoms and tapering and most replies scare me. Sometimes I regret joining BB because I get scared more. Sometimes the only peace I find is reading your post over and over and your signature line of healing. Right now I am battling headaches and tinnitus that isn't responding to.anything over the counter or prescription.  Thank you for giving me hope.

I love your story and thank you for sharing it.  I kind of inadvertently cold-turkeyed of Klonopin... two weeks into acute WD I realized what was going on.  Since I was already well into the worst of it, I decided to stick it out without reinstating.  Your experience is encouraging, and helps me believe that I haven't necessarily doomed myself to years of protracted WD.  Thanks. 

[8d...]
Hi ComingHome.  I'm glad the story encourages you.  Feel free to PM me if you ever need to rant or share about how you're doing.

Happy 3, bads. Right there with you, I think we jumped off ativan at almost the same time. Good to see your still giving back to the group. Sleep was the last thing for me to heal, was only partially there by 2 years off, but by 3 my sleep is consistently in a good place. Still meticulously practice good sleep hygiene though (in an OCD kinda way).

Whats your sleep like at 3 years off?

Hope your doing well.

laser

[8d...]
My sleep is mediocre, but I get by.  I've accepted the way I sleep, and it doesn't seem to adversely affect me very much.  Good to hear that you're doing well!  Thanks for stopping by!

• 1 month later...
Thank you for this story, I don't know why but this is the success story I continue and continue to read over and over again. I'm currently 4 month out and have hit a real bad wave, and I'm sure I won't heal, but this story really gives me hope. Thank you again and I wish you a super happy life ahead filled with joy and happiness  :thumbsup::smitten:

Hey Badsocref,

I have read many of your posts and enjoyed them all, you are an asset here, so stick around! Amazing story and congratulations on your success and healing. You are one tough dude, my friend, if not just a bit of a mental masochist...  :2funny: 

Wilson  :highfive:

• 2 months later...
Such an inspirational story! Thank you for sharing and for all that you do here. You are so strong and kind.  :smitten:

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Badsocref,

Wonderful story. You were lucky to have familial support. You're a strong person. Keep going.

Estee

• 2 months later...

Badsocref, congratulations!!! You are an inspiration!

After you quit the drugs, how many nights did you go without any sleep? When did your sleep start to come back?

Badsocref, congratulations!!! You are an inspiration!

After you quit the drugs, how many nights did you go without any sleep? When did your sleep start to come back?

I slept terrible for the first week (2-3 nights of zero, then 1-2 hours at most).  Maybe 2-3 hours the second week, but it was really variable.  I added about an hour of sleep per month, then kind of leveled out at around 5 hours which is what I usually get now if I don't take anything to prolong it.  Remember that I took benzos for insomnia.  I got back to where I started, but it doesn't cause me grief anymore.  I've come to accept my situation. 

Thank you so much for such a detailed post. Encouraging and very happy for you bad!! You have always been helpful on this board.

Blessings and happiness!  :smitten: