Need help putting together a Klonopin titration schedule

[Da...]

I really wasn't symptom free for eight months after stopping the SSRI.  I started feeling depression and irritability after a couple of months.  I even felt suicidal for a while but talked myself out of it.  Mainly I felt hopeless  and experienced a lack of emotions.  I felt like I was hitting a brick wall in slow motion.  I've been through a few different phases and the latest has been the anxiety which coincided with my benzo dosage increase.  This latest anxiety phase has been the worst by far.  Please remember that I started taking the benzos to help me deal with anxieties I was already having.  They just increased greatly when I tried to stop taking them c/t.

I will follow your advise and do the slow taper.  I'm waiting to start feeling better at my current dosage before I start.  I'm just not feeling any better yet.  It's been 13 days and I'm still waiting. 

Maybe I'm just thinking too much. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Da...]

• [th...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so it sounds like you were symptomatic from the AD taper and are still dealing with that?

In that case it might be good to just sit tight.  Or, if you do taper, you could put yourself on the slow boat to see what happens.  Cut at a very conservative rate to scope out how you will react.  But I agree the first thing is to get the current symptoms to settle down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.  It's been 8 days since my last post.  I'm still holding at .940 mg daily.  That's roughly equivalent to the dose I was at when I was doing dry cuts.  I've been at this same dosage since 1-10-15 (18 days) and I still haven't really stabilized to the point I was before I started my liquid taper.  Do you think it's possible that my body just doesn't want to adjust to the liquid  solution? I'm not having bad physical symptoms, just morning stomach cramping w/ some anxiety and occasional slight twitching in my eye or lip.  My anxiety level during the day is manageable but it takes a lot of positive thought and prayer to keep it in check.  Sometimes it increases in the evening.  I think I'm a little better now than I was a week ago.  I'm trying to keep a journal because my memory is so bad I can't remember much of the passing weeks. 

I'm wondering if I should wait longer to see if I'll stabilize more or just go ahead and start tapering at a very low level.  I've been on K twice daily for three months now.  When I take a dosage now I don't feel any symptom relief.  It seems now to just keep me level and to keep the bad withdrawal effects at bay.

There's also the possibility that part of what I'm feeling is protracted withdrawal from the SSRI I stopped taking a year ago.  I just don't know.  The uncertainty of it is so perplexing.  Any advice?

Hi Dave.  It's hard to say, but I think if holding is improving things I'd keep holding until I wasn't getting anything out of it.  But that is up to your judgement.  If you do taper I'd begin like you said at a very low level and scope it out to see how you react.  You may find things are no worse or even better when tapering daily at a low level.  And if you react with higher symptoms you can stop or even go back.

Hi,

I have been reading this post and thought I would add based on my experience.  I suggest updosing a bit more until you are comfortable if you do not stabilize within a couple of weeks at your current dosage.  On my latest and so far successful withdrawal attempt I updosed above what I thought I could handle and then started withdrawing at a rate that seems to represent the average for many of the posts I have read on this forum, 0.002 mg/day.  I am doing ok with water titration and I believe it's because I use a blender and consume the specified dosage fairly soon after blending so that the Klonopin remains suspended at least until I have taken my dose.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all.  I did finally start my liquid taper on Feb. 2.  I'm cutting .0015 ml/day.  Today is my seventh day so I am down by 1.05% and am feeling ok so far.  Today's total dosage will be .9295 mg

Hello all.  Today is my 11th day of my taper at .0015 mg/day.  I started on Feb.12, not Feb. 2 as my previous posts stated.  I did start feeling some withdrawal effects on the 8th day.  I noticed a little bit of buzzing in my head when I first wake up and also feeling a little more jittery and a little more irritable but it's been tolerable.  I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse. So far the anxiety hasn't returned like it was when I first switched from dry to liquid and started my way too fast taper.

I have a question.  Does you body get used to a daily taper (at a particular rate)  like it does to a single cut in dosage?  In other words, will the sxs while doing a taper lessen over time or will they stay the same?  I would like to increase my taper at some point but I don't want to over do it.  What is your past experience?  Can I expect a big increase in symptoms if I go from .0015 taper to .002 taper?  Thanks.

Hi Dave, We all heal at our own specific rates and the trick with daily tapering is to find your rate and stay below it.  If you do this I think you can expect symptoms to slowly fade away.

You have begun at .0015mg.  Test that one for AT LEAST two weeks and if you feel symptom are not increasing the next I would try is .002mg.  We need to carefully search out the highest cut that does not bring on increased symptoms.  Or you can just stay with .0015mg.  Not a bad cut.  I forget what your current dose is, but .0015mg is close to 1mg Valium a month, which is a decent rate, especially at low doses.

I agree that this sounds really good.  After tapering too quickly at 0.004 mg/day, I do not intend to try to increase from my current 0.002 mg/day rate that produces tolerable withdrawal symptoms.  My experience is that if you are determined to test the limit, you will find it and that will result in more severe withdrawal symptoms and holding or updosing.  I would like to go faster, but do not want a setback and am willing to take the time. 

I'm wondering if I am maybe being a little too aggressive then. I am cutting at .0029 daily. I have gone 5 days now and feel pretty good. I felt a little anxious today but it passed. I am still wondering if this can go relatively symptom free. That seems to good to be true. Any thoughts on that SG57? What was your experience...little to no sx's?

I'm wondering if I am maybe being a little too aggressive then. I am cutting at .0029 daily. I have gone 5 days now and feel pretty good. I felt a little anxious today but it passed. I am still wondering if this can go relatively symptom free. That seems to good to be true. Any thoughts on that SG57? What was your experience...little to no sx's?

.0029mg is a high cut to begin at.  It might be doable, but I would not begin searching there.  I'd start you testing at .0015mg as you seem to be on about 1.25mg?

I don't know about completely symptom free, but I think you can feel good most of the time.  I think for a symptom-fee taper to happen it would need to be a real slow boat.  For example, if your highest cut was .004mg but you tapered at .002mg or .001mg maybe you'd have a shot.

Yup, I'm going to back it down some then. I had a horrible night of sleep last night, and that's what did me in my last taper;the insomnia. I'll back it off to .0015 as you suggest and hold there for a while.

I didn't mention this in my last post but I guess I should have.  I did something dumb on Friday evening.  I had a bottle of wine that had been sitting in my kitchen and I decided to have a drink or two.  I ended up finishing the bottle (750ml) and drank a beer on top of that.  I used to drink quite a bit up until the end of my SSRI taper and I guess I fell into the old mindset again.  I have had an occasional beer or glass of wine recently but nothing like I did last Friday.  In fact, the last time I drank heavily was May 5th of 2014 (Cinco de Mayo).  Needless to say, I felt terrible on Saturday (hungover) but Sunday was a little better.  Today I'm feeling a little anxious and it's possible my taper is causing it but also I'm probably still feeling the effects of my hangover.  I know this was a stupid thing to do but what's done is done.  I'm determined not to do this again as this is the first time I've drank like this since I started having my serious anxiety problems back in November.  Lessen learned.  Does anyone else have experience with hangovers and withdrawal?  I'm hoping I feel better in the next day or two or else I may have to hold on my taper until I feel better.  I'm not having terrible anxiety or any of the bad sxs I was having before but I just don't feel all to well.  Someone at work poked fun at me this morning during a meeting and it really bothered me.  I'm still trying to let it go so I can feel better.

BTW, where is the BenzoBuddies server located.  I noticed that the time stamps are way off from my time zone when I post.  Thanks.

Hello all.  I have a question regarding a missed dose.  This morning I woke up feeling a little more anxious than usual and after some thought I realized that I had forgotten to take my evening dosage.  I had taken the K milk solution out of the refrigerator last night but got distracted and never got around to taking my dosage. 

What is the best approach when you miss a dose during a taper.  Should I skip the missed dose or double up in order to try to keep my blood plasma levels up?  I ended up taking the missed dose this morning and then plan on taking my normal morning dosage today at noon.  I'll take my evening dosage like I normally do and I figure that in a few days my blood plasma levels will be back to where they should be.

BTW, my .0015mg/day taper is now going well.  At the end of the first week I started feeling some jitters and a little insomnia but by the middle of the second week I was feeling pretty good with the exception that I have been waking up in the middle of the night but have been able to fall back asleep.  I wake up feeling a little tired but not too bad. 

I'm going on a cruise on March 9th and I'm wondering if I should continuing my .0015mg/day taper until then and continue to taper during the cruise.  I want to try increasing my taper to .002mg/day to see how my body reacts but it's probably best if I wait until after the cruise.  I'm feeling pretty good now and I'd hate to start my cruise having to deal with w/d sxs if I increase my taper.  If my next taper increase is anything like this current taper rate, it'll be at least 10 days before I start feeling normal again (if I'm able to adjust to it) and that would be during the beginning of the cruise.  The more I think about it the better it sounds to just wait until after the cruise to try an increase in my taper rate.

BTW, my .0015mg/day taper is now going well.    I want to try increasing my taper to .002mg/day to see how my body reacts

Hello Dave,

I leveled out nicely on .0015 as well. I was contemplating increasing to .002,but don't want to rock the boat just yet. I'm finally feeling somewhat normal at work, and that was my main goal - to be able to taper and work without feeling like I have to run and hide out in the bathroom. For some reason whenever I feel better I want to go and change things up, and then end up feeling worse off. Speaking of "rocking the boat", I'm wondering if you would experience any sea-sickness that might magnify any w/d symptoms if you were to increase to .002? Might be best just to hold and enjoy the cruise...lord knows we all deserve a break from this madness.

Hello all.  I have a question regarding a missed dose.  This morning I woke up feeling a little more anxious than usual and after some thought I realized that I had forgotten to take my evening dosage.  I had taken the K milk solution out of the refrigerator last night but got distracted and never got around to taking my dosage. 

What is the best approach when you miss a dose during a taper.  Should I skip the missed dose or double up in order to try to keep my blood plasma levels up?  I ended up taking the missed dose this morning and then plan on taking my normal morning dosage today at noon.  I'll take my evening dosage like I normally do and I figure that in a few days my blood plasma levels will be back to where they should be.

BTW, my .0015mg/day taper is now going well.  At the end of the first week I started feeling some jitters and a little insomnia but by the middle of the second week I was feeling pretty good with the exception that I have been waking up in the middle of the night but have been able to fall back asleep.  I wake up feeling a little tired but not too bad. 

I'm going on a cruise on March 9th and I'm wondering if I should continuing my .0015mg/day taper until then and continue to taper during the cruise.  I want to try increasing my taper to .002mg/day to see how my body reacts but it's probably best if I wait until after the cruise.  I'm feeling pretty good now and I'd hate to start my cruise having to deal with w/d sxs if I increase my taper.  If my next taper increase is anything like this current taper rate, it'll be at least 10 days before I start feeling normal again (if I'm able to adjust to it) and that would be during the beginning of the cruise.  The more I think about it the better it sounds to just wait until after the cruise to try an increase in my taper rate.

I think you did the right thing by taking the missed dose.

When switching over to liquid how long should I hold? No cuts, just switched.

Also, does water work? How long should I let it sit if I crush it up?

When switching over to liquid how long should I hold? No cuts, just switched.

Also, does water work? How long should I let it sit if I crush it up?

I'd say at least a week.  But from there go by feel.  Wait until you feel ready.

I won't say water does not work, but it is a very poor solvent for K and only holds .03mg/ml, so it ends up as a poor suspension.  You maybe can make it work, but milk is so much better.

Most pills don't require crushing, they break up nicely just by dropping them in the milk.

Alright. I will give milk a try.

I have a marked 30mL cylinder marked in 1mL increments.  I am going to start at .125mg, and when I feel better start the drop. Should i drop by 1 mL ever day or 2 or 3 days?

What pill size?  Once we know that we can work out how much milk.  BTW, it must be full fat whole homogenized milk.