Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

problems with activated carbon water filters

[po...]

There are many entries on the web similar to those below, I don't know whether it is the silver or the activated charcoal, but they certainly made me ill for a week after starting using one…  (see my introductions thread).  I had intense nausea, burning mouth, acid reflux, breathing problems, severe constipation alternating with severe diarrhoea, ramped up tinnitus, tingling tongue, insomnia, confusion, fatigue, headache, urinary problems, mood changes, aching limbs.  12 hours  after stopping drinking filtered water, I am feeling 50 % better.

I have a dreadful, metallic taste in my mouth which pervades my  tongue and throat.  My lips also have, what I can only describe as, a metallic tingling sensation, as does my whole mouth.  The worst thing about it, is that it makes me very disinclined to be close to anyone.  I have never suffered from this before.  As with the filter, if any one can shed light on this problem I would be more than

Ken | May 2, 2010 at 10:55 am | Reply

Hi, I’m planning to quit my Brita filter as well, since I started to have ulcer like problems in my stomach… Very strong pain, reflux, and heartburn as well.. I discovered that the filtering process increases the amount of potassium in the water, and high levels of potassium cause irritation in the stomach. I’m not sure 100% that my irritation was because of the water, but still when I switched back to tap water, my problems ceased.

levels in filtered water? I was using a Brita filter every day before my fibro symptoms started in January ...

Some water filters, such as those made by Brita, incorporate a special silver treatment to inhibit the growth of bacteria while a water cartridge is in use. Colloidal silver supplements can be bought from health shops, although a report by Harvard University last year warned there is no proof that taking silver by mouth has any benefits. In fact, common side effects include headaches, an upset stomach and skin turning a bluish grey as particles accumulate in the body. "It is not an essential mineral," says Louise Sutton, a dietician at Leeds Metropolitan University. "We have no need to consume it in the diet".

Charcoal is made from coal, petroleum, wood, or other substances. It becomes "activated charcoal" when high temperatures combine with a gas or activating agent to expand its surface area.

Side Effects of Activated Charcoal

Metabolic

When sorbitol is combined with activated charcoal, side effects related to metabolism are experienced by an individual. Dehydration, shock, electrolyte abnormalities, hypernatremia, and hypermagnesemia are the effects of activated carbon or charcoal.

Hematologic

Exacerbation or increase in symptoms of variegate porphyria is a result of a wrong dose or over dose of activated charcoal. This condition culminates into increased skin lesions, plasma, and urine porphyrins.

Gastrointestinal

Just as activated charcoal is used the most for gastrointestinal purpose, it is also believed to have maximum side effects for the same system of our body. So, starting from frequent side effects like vomiting and nausea, an overdose could result in bowel obstruction and perforation of gastrointestinal tract. Other side effects include ileus, chalk like taste on the tongue, which is unpalatable, abscess formation, black colored stools, etc.

Respiratory

Wrong administration of activated charcoal straight into the lungs of an adult is known to cause adult respiratory distress syndrome. In addition to this, empyema, which refers to collection of pus within the cavity between the lungs and membrane around it and bronchiolitis obliterans (blocking or plugging of airways with granulation tissue) can be experienced as a side effect of activated charcoal.

Ocular

In the case where activated charcoal comes in contact with eyes, it can result in corneal abrasions.

Other Side Effects

The ones mentioned above were specific and categorized side effects. Apart from these, there are a few more side effects, some of which are pretty common and minor. They also subside in a specific time period. So, such effects of this drug are allergic reactions, like difficulty in breathing, skin rash, swelling of mouth, lips, face, or tongue, and tightness in the chest. These effects are mainly experienced when the charcoal is combined with sorbitol. Constipation and diarrhea are amongst other after effects of activated charcoal. If any of these symptoms are severe, one should immediately consult a doctor.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/activated-charcoal-side-effects.html

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

I wish I had found this forum earlier. I just spent 4 of the sickest days of my life thanks to a Brita system.  I couldn't figure it out at first.  I had diarrhea for days on end; terrible.  Then one night I was laying in bed in misery and tried to think through what was going on and it hit me.  I had just bought the Brita System (filter + container). I got home from a trip and started to drink a lot of water from it.  The next day the diarrhea hit.  I didn't want to dehydrate, so I kept drinking more water from the Brita and got sicker and sicker.  I did a search online and found other people reporting the same thing.  I stopped drinking water from the Brita immediately and now a mere 12 hours in I'm well on the road to recovery.  Poisoned by a Brita system.  Who would have thought it?

In March 2013, I purchased my first Brita water pitcher. The water in Louisville is pretty good; truthfully, the primary reason for the purchase was because I prefer room temperature water. I decided if I was going to keep my water at room temperature, I would at least filter it. Within a couple of weeks, I had diarrhea. I was training for a mini marathon, so I thought the stress I was putting on my body was causing the diarrhea.

To protect my body from dehydration, I increased my water intake. The diarrhea became severe, to the point I missed work. It was several weeks before I realized the problem was the Brita water filter. I stopped using it immediately. The severity of the problem stopped when I stopped drinking the Brita water; but, I continue to have gastrointestinal problems even after all these months. At this point, I would simply appreciate getting my gut back to normal.

I'm sorry that your Brita system is causing you distress.  I filter my coffee and tea water through a Brita filter (to remove the chlorine/chloramine).  It seems to work well for me.

Yes, that is why I started using one again, it was a horrible surprise to have such a bad reaction to it - I will have to go back to letting water stand overnight so that the chlorine evaporates.  I am amazed at how sensitive to chemicals benzos have made me and I keep on hoping that it isn't permanent.  I seem to have lost my sensitivity to sulfites, but I must be more careful before I try anything else new - I keep saying that I will google things first, but I hardly ever remember to do that, especially with things that have been ok in the past, although I am not sure about water filters, when I was using them before I had so many benzo wd symptoms that it would have been impossible or extremely difficult to know whether or not they were causing me problems, but now I can at least know more about what is going on with me…..

I would just try and do without a filter for a few days (if I were you), nausea was the worst symptom they caused for me - especially after eating, and that could be easily spotted.

I seem to have also picked up some food sensitivities recently.  Perhaps a result of benzos or withdrawal???  Hard to say for sure.  I ate a bunch of cashews a week ago and broke out in hives.  That had never happened before.  So now I get to watch my cashew intake.  It's always something, I guess.

I have the same problem with cashews and also mangoes, (it is the same allergen in both I discovered),  I never had an allergy or sensitivity before benzos…..

still feel crap, 2 and a half days later.

still finding more info eg:

Dien on March 14, 2014 at 4:22 pm said:

Thank God I found your blog. I start feel sick again when I bought Brita filter three weeks ago.Stomach crack, lots of thick saliva, very hard to expectoration. I was sick exactly the same way two years ago, but did not check properly and thoroughly websites. Actually, because I am Polish I checked lots of polish websites, but everywhere where great reviews only. I remember one night when I fell very bad I went to the kitchen and had a glass of water from Brita. Suddenly I started feel sick,got very strong, continuous cough,then fever. I thought I am dying. This effect was not possible from other source than Brita. I checked carefully whole jug,it was not signs of mould or anything on it. New filter was rinsed few times one day earlier. I gave up using Brita and slowly slowly I got better. But unfortunately human memory is short and after moving home, because water was very unpalatable and chlorinated bought Brita again. And symptoms repeat !!! I feel now exactly the same as before. Thank you for sharing information , now i am sharing your blog by Facebook.

AND

I had a Brita system for a couple of months and my entire body reacted very seriously bad. The last days I used it I had become so week that I couldn’t even cut a slice of cheese. And it all began – and ended- with the Britafilter. I got thyroid problems and I got severe neurological reactions. And The only thing I had changed was the drinking of Brita water. Testing showed that I reacted on the huge amount of silver particles that comes from the filter. And that I not was the only one who had the same reactions from Brita. Silver is a heavy metal that is really poisonous for us and the fact that the filtered water contains severe amounts of it -which the Brita company is fully aware of- makes it very lethal.

Reply ↓http://www.beatingupwind.com/2011-04/our-britta-water-filter-made-me-sick

• 1 year later...

We used water filters for years and I have never had problems in withdrawal or not.  Ours in an under sink unit, not reverse osmosis, but uses the same type of filters as Brita.

pianogirl

i used one for years with no problems before I came off benzos, but since then  I have developed mcs, perhaps you have not developed any intolerances? I hope not….

i used one for years with no problems before I came off benzos, but since then  I have developed mcs, perhaps you have not developed any intolerances? I hope not….

No, I have no intolerances and I've been off benzos for over 5 years. The only thing I'm intolerant to is doing laundry.  ;)

I also experienced nausea from the BRITA filtered water. I had been trying to figure out why I was so nauseous. I read this thread and stopped the BRITA. The nausea went away right after stopping. Like you I previously was able to drink the BRITA filtered water with no problem. I drink bottled water now since my tap water tasted like their is too much chlorine in it.

I guess it's from tapering and withdrawal that I've developed some sensitivities. Ibuprofen also makes me nauseous if I take more than one a day.

Becky  :smitten:

I cant afford bottled water so I use tap water and leave it uncovered for 12 hours before I drink it, this lets the chlorine evaporate.

I wish I could afford bottled water though!

Wow that's pretty neat that the chlorine evaporates. I should try that and see. Do you know why it evaporates? I know it's expensive. My son I always buy bottled water for and it's adding up with me drinking it now too. I live near one of those areas mentioned in the thread "erin brockevich", so I am more cautious.

Becky  :smitten:

well i read that it's a gas and so it off gases  in 12 -24 hours…fingers crossed that that is true, haven't time to ask mr google atm.

:smitten:

but it always tastes better in the morning after it has been sitting uncovered...

If your municipality uses chlorine to treat water, then letting it sit out for a day will cause most of it to evaporate.  But if your city uses chloramine instead (lots of cities do), then it will not evaporate.  You can probably ask your water supplier what they use.

• 10 months later...

Hi!

I have found out that drinking water coming out of cheep active carbon filter, like Brita is not good for me. I do however have another question .......

I am, now, 4 months tapering and I wonder if anyone of you, buddies, has any experience, positive or negative, with the drinking water produced from Reverse Osmosis unit. I also read that, after RO, water should be re-mineralised as RO removes effectively everything from the tap water.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sulphites? Do eggs have sulphites? And how do sulphites affect people negatively. there are so many things to consider in food I dont know what to eat at all......

• 6 years later...
On 26/09/2014 at 15:28, [[[...] said:

There are many entries on the web similar to those below, I don't know whether it is the silver or the activated charcoal, but they certainly made me ill for a week after starting using one…  (see my introductions thread).  I had intense nausea, burning mouth, acid reflux, breathing problems, severe constipation alternating with severe diarrhoea, ramped up tinnitus, tingling tongue, insomnia, confusion, fatigue, headache, urinary problems, mood changes, aching limbs.  12 hours  after stopping drinking filtered water, I am feeling 50 % better.

I have a dreadful, metallic taste in my mouth which pervades my  tongue and throat.  My lips also have, what I can only describe as, a metallic tingling sensation, as does my whole mouth.  The worst thing about it, is that it makes me very disinclined to be close to anyone.  I have never suffered from this before.  As with the filter, if any one can shed light on this problem I would be more than

Ken | May 2, 2010 at 10:55 am | Reply

Hi, I’m planning to quit my Brita filter as well, since I started to have ulcer like problems in my stomach… Very strong pain, reflux, and heartburn as well.. I discovered that the filtering process increases the amount of potassium in the water, and high levels of potassium cause irritation in the stomach. I’m not sure 100% that my irritation was because of the water, but still when I switched back to tap water, my problems ceased.

levels in filtered water? I was using a Brita filter every day before my fibro symptoms started in January ...

Some water filters, such as those made by Brita, incorporate a special silver treatment to inhibit the growth of bacteria while a water cartridge is in use. Colloidal silver supplements can be bought from health shops, although a report by Harvard University last year warned there is no proof that taking silver by mouth has any benefits. In fact, common side effects include headaches, an upset stomach and skin turning a bluish grey as particles accumulate in the body. "It is not an essential mineral," says Louise Sutton, a dietician at Leeds Metropolitan University. "We have no need to consume it in the diet".

Charcoal is made from coal, petroleum, wood, or other substances. It becomes "activated charcoal" when high temperatures combine with a gas or activating agent to expand its surface area.

Side Effects of Activated Charcoal

Metabolic

When sorbitol is combined with activated charcoal, side effects related to metabolism are experienced by an individual. Dehydration, shock, electrolyte abnormalities, hypernatremia, and hypermagnesemia are the effects of activated carbon or charcoal.

Hematologic

Exacerbation or increase in symptoms of variegate porphyria is a result of a wrong dose or over dose of activated charcoal. This condition culminates into increased skin lesions, plasma, and urine porphyrins.

Gastrointestinal

Just as activated charcoal is used the most for gastrointestinal purpose, it is also believed to have maximum side effects for the same system of our body. So, starting from frequent side effects like vomiting and nausea, an overdose could result in bowel obstruction and perforation of gastrointestinal tract. Other side effects include ileus, chalk like taste on the tongue, which is unpalatable, abscess formation, black colored stools, etc.

Respiratory

Wrong administration of activated charcoal straight into the lungs of an adult is known to cause adult respiratory distress syndrome. In addition to this, empyema, which refers to collection of pus within the cavity between the lungs and membrane around it and bronchiolitis obliterans (blocking or plugging of airways with granulation tissue) can be experienced as a side effect of activated charcoal.

Ocular

In the case where activated charcoal comes in contact with eyes, it can result in corneal abrasions.

Other Side Effects

The ones mentioned above were specific and categorized side effects. Apart from these, there are a few more side effects, some of which are pretty common and minor. They also subside in a specific time period. So, such effects of this drug are allergic reactions, like difficulty in breathing, skin rash, swelling of mouth, lips, face, or tongue, and tightness in the chest. These effects are mainly experienced when the charcoal is combined with sorbitol. Constipation and diarrhea are amongst other after effects of activated charcoal. If any of these symptoms are severe, one should immediately consult a doctor.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/activated-charcoal-side-effects.html

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

I wish I had found this forum earlier. I just spent 4 of the sickest days of my life thanks to a Brita system.  I couldn't figure it out at first.  I had diarrhea for days on end; terrible.  Then one night I was laying in bed in misery and tried to think through what was going on and it hit me.  I had just bought the Brita System (filter + container). I got home from a trip and started to drink a lot of water from it.  The next day the diarrhea hit.  I didn't want to dehydrate, so I kept drinking more water from the Brita and got sicker and sicker.  I did a search online and found other people reporting the same thing.  I stopped drinking water from the Brita immediately and now a mere 12 hours in I'm well on the road to recovery.  Poisoned by a Brita system.  Who would have thought it?

In March 2013, I purchased my first Brita water pitcher. The water in Louisville is pretty good; truthfully, the primary reason for the purchase was because I prefer room temperature water. I decided if I was going to keep my water at room temperature, I would at least filter it. Within a couple of weeks, I had diarrhea. I was training for a mini marathon, so I thought the stress I was putting on my body was causing the diarrhea.

To protect my body from dehydration, I increased my water intake. The diarrhea became severe, to the point I missed work. It was several weeks before I realized the problem was the Brita water filter. I stopped using it immediately. The severity of the problem stopped when I stopped drinking the Brita water; but, I continue to have gastrointestinal problems even after all these months. At this point, I would simply appreciate getting my gut back to normal.

I noticed using a brita filter, i was getting a tight feeling in my throat, maybe the thyroid nodules, that if have, but now after reading this it makes me wonder if it is plugging of my airways as quoted here, very unusual symptom i have so i am not going to use it any more.

Hello @[Ji...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You’ve posted to a very old thread but I’m happy it resonated with you.  I hope you’ll tell us a little about your benzodiazepine situation so we can offer suggestions.

Pamster

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, [[d...] said:

cani get constipated from drinking brita filtered water?

Hello @[da...], welcome to BenzoBuddies, 

I hope you get an answer to your question. 

Pamster