one night I sleep the next I don't

[...]

Siggy, that sucks.

I actually got a little confidence to drink, and I ended up have two pints and a shot at a Xmas party.

I felt alright that night, but the next day I was totally off. Had a very low mood, and this weird feeling in my head. It was not a hangover, but more of just a heavy feeling. It also put my sleep off a bit for a few days, so I made a decision: After the hell I survived, it's not worth it to drink and go anywhere near that again. When I used to hear people say "I'm high on life", I thought it was corny. Now, I totally feel it!

I used to love beer. LOVE! But I much rather feeling and sleeping well!

I've limited myself to one beer, on special occasions :)

Totally with you on this one damien, exactly how I roll these days. But that said, this last "special occasion" I had I somewhat large-ish glass of wine. While it did elicit a strong (though expected) sense of inebriation, much to my surprise, for the FIRST time since benzos, it did NOT degrade my sleep quality/quantity AT ALL. Nor did I have a hangover or slightly-off feeling the next day. This is a first for me since coming off benzos, where I could have 1 drink without paying for it.

We're all getting there, one step at a time.

laser

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Si...]

• [8d...]

• [...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have relagated myself to only one beer. Most of the time that's what I did. On a couple of occassions I was really dumb and went way over that. Now I feel I've screwed myself.

My dad died from alcoholism. That alone made me lose interest in drinking, but my Ambien withdrawal sealed the deal for me. I am now a boring nondrinker.

• 3 years later...
I know this is an old thread, but it's one of the first ones I started on when I joined here. So I'm going to post back here to revive it. I'm three months into another setback caused by a shot given to me at an ER. The first two weeks my sleep was non-existant, but then I fell into a pattern of typically getting 4-½ to 6  hours most nights of very broken sleep for 50 days. About two weeks ago it just switched out of nowhere and now I'm only sleeping every other night again (mainly). I don't know why my brain picks that as the pattern? Hoping that this setback ends soon. Anybody else?

I know this is an old thread, but it's one of the first ones I started on when I joined here. So I'm going to post back here to revive it. I'm three months into another setback caused by a shot given to me at an ER. The first two weeks my sleep was non-existant, but then I fell into a pattern of typically getting 4-½ to 6  hours most nights of very broken sleep for 50 days. About two weeks ago it just switched out of nowhere and now I'm only sleeping every other night again (mainly). I don't know why my brain picks that as the pattern? Hoping that this setback ends soon. Anybody else?

Been a long time since ive logged in to BB, 7 years tbh since my descent into benzo hell but I clearly remember you Siggy. I would ask what do you mean by "shot?" shot of what.

For me, return to normal sleep was one of the slowest things to fully recover. after a few years post jump, it had not recovered 100%, but enough that i was satisfied with sleep quality/quantity and could accept living like that for the rest of my life. By some unexplained miracle, 6 months ago I transitioned ON A DIME back to 100% normal sleep, day after day, week after week. This whole benzo saga is to bizarre and impossible to make sense out of; the interdependency between psychological and physiological aspects of benzo recovery/damage can never be truly distinguished. Each of us travels a unique road on this journey. But I have to say that I never in a million years would have thought it would take almost 7 years to be 100% back to normal. But here I am!

laser

Been a long time since ive logged in to BB, 7 years tbh since my descent into benzo hell but I clearly remember you Siggy. I would ask what do you mean by "shot?" shot of what.

For me, return to normal sleep was one of the slowest things to fully recover. after a few years post jump, it had not recovered 100%, but enough that i was satisfied with sleep quality/quantity and could accept living like that for the rest of my life. By some unexplained miracle, 6 months ago I transitioned ON A DIME back to 100% normal sleep, day after day, week after week. This whole benzo saga is to bizarre and impossible to make sense out of; the interdependency between psychological and physiological aspects of benzo recovery/damage can never be truly distinguished. Each of us travels a unique road on this journey. But I have to say that I never in a million years would have thought it would take almost 7 years to be 100% back to normal. But here I am!

laser

Thanks for responding Laser!

I have IBS-D and got stuck in a long jury trial that I didn’t expect would last as long as it did. Two and a half weeks. I’ve used Imodium before to maintain those issues. I had no idea the trial would last as long as it did, so I accidentally constipated myself and had to leave the trial early to go to the ER. Imodium is an opiate based drug that works only in the colon. They gave me a shot of LDN to counteract the drug. Then they prescribed the laxative Lactulose. I don’t know which on set me off, but all my previous symptoms came flooding back after this. I was feeling 100% healed for 2-½ years until this happened. I’ve had some setbacks before from alcohol, which I’ve totally avoided now for the last few years. I had NO idea something like this would happen. It’s been a little over three months and I have no idea how long it’s going to take me to get better.

Glad to hear you’re doing so well now. I rarely came back in here much other than to help other people. I just feel so stupid to screw up all the progress I made. Thanks for responding. All my old support buddies from here are mostly gone. I just don’t know what to do anymore.

Hi Laserjet3051,

I concur with your assessment of sleep.  I'll be 4 years off on August 5 and my sleep, in terms of quality and amount, is to the level where it would be enough to get me through the rest of my life, but is not like it was pre-Benzo.  Every now and then I get a night that is closer to pre-Benzo sleep.  I hoping at some point down the road, like you, I just turn on a dime and go back to pre-Benzo sleep? In the meantime I am good with the 6-8 hours I get pretty much every night.  It's still broken sleep though, with 2-4 or more wake ups per night.

Siggy, hang in there.  It's going to get better for sure.  Time is doing it's thing and you'll be back in the saddle with normal sleep soon enough!  I too had the every other night pattern for about 3 months or so...it eventually transitioned into 2, 3 and then 4 nights in a row with sleep.  Over time it went to some sleep every night.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm just newly going through the WDs process  but I was heartened to immediately find a topic outlining the weird sleep pattern I'm getting. However much I try the meditation  it doesn't work but I get to half 5 in the morning and generally KO for a few hours. Still early doors but disappointed as I had such a great day for withdrawal symptoms but still in the window that lack of sleep may cause a higher risk of seizure 😔

I'm just newly going through the WDs process  but I was heartened to immediately find a topic outlining the weird sleep pattern I'm getting. However much I try the meditation  it doesn't work but I get to half 5 in the morning and generally KO for a few hours. Still early doors but disappointed as I had such a great day for withdrawal symptoms but still in the window that lack of sleep may cause a higher risk of seizure 😔

Wow, sorry to hear that only two months use did this to you too. For me it was about 2-½ weeks. Absolute garbage drugs. Hope you see some improvements soon.