Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Should I stop taking Buspar now or wait?

[En...]

Does anyone have any experience stopping Buspar during benzo withdrawal?  I started taking it about 6 months ago as a hopeful alternative to Klonopin for a pre-existing anxiety issue. However, everything was so hardcore around the time that I started it that I have no idea if it helps or if it doesn't.  Any advice concerning this?

It's generally best to withdraw from one medication at a time. As with all psychotropic medications, make sure you taper it when the time comes.

IMO, why don't you wait until you are done with your benzo taper? It may even help support your wd.

We rarely suggest adding other medications to aid with a taper, but if you are already on one, you may as well stay on it until you are done with your benzo taper.  :)

Does anyone have any experience stopping Buspar during benzo withdrawal?  I started taking it about 6 months ago as a hopeful alternative to Klonopin for a pre-existing anxiety issue. However, everything was so hardcore around the time that I started it that I have no idea if it helps or if it doesn't.  Any advice concerning this?

Endure -

If I understand your signature info correctly, you have been benzo-free since 8/11, is that right?  I didn't see a Celebration thread for you so you must have done this really quietly - or else we have been asleep at the switch.  :-[

As far as tapering off Buspar,  you might want to wait a few weeks to make sure you are on an even keel after your benzo taper.  If you are on a low dose, you shouldn't need to do much of a taper. I didn't know any better when I was taking it (years ago) and just stopped.  I don't remember any problem doing that but I have become more cautious in my old age.  ::)

Does anyone have any experience stopping Buspar during benzo withdrawal?

Oops, sorry Endure, I just read this and assumed you were still tapering. But yes you should still hold off on it for a bit, and definitely do a sensible taper. 

If I understand your signature info correctly, you have been benzo-free since 8/11, is that right?  I didn't see a Celebration thread for you so you must have done this really quietly - or else we have been asleep at the switch.

That's alright Beeper. What happened I think is that I came here immediately following my taper, like the day after I took my last dose. I had been on another forum before then and I switched over to this one. I decided to jump off after I had stabilized for 2 weeks at 1.25 mg valium, they didn't agree with it, yet I still wanted to press on because I felt ready and I have like 3 weeks free from any big responsibilities and I just didn't want hear any "I told ya so's" if things didn't go that well.... which they are going great so far, so I'm happy!  :)