• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Ro...]

• [Mo...]

• [Co...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[47...]

Ronnie has removed 2 of his posts. shame , he does not stand up for what he said. ;)

:-X

good idea :laugh: , lets forget it , just to let you know Toward is a friend of mine

and i just won't have it. right ?

Thank you for your support Morreweg,  :hug:

Ronnie has removed 2 of his posts. shame , he does not stand up for what he said. ;)

:-X

good idea :laugh: , lets forget it , just to let you know Toward is a friend of mine

and i just won't have it. right ?

Thank you for your support Morreweg,  :hug:

you are more than welcome, it was a pleasure. ;):smitten:

I have just posted this on the other thread concerning this topic. I thought some people here might find it informative too.

http://theconversation.com/three-persistent-myths-about-heroin-use-and-overdose-deaths-22895?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The+Weekend+Conversation&utm_content=The+Weekend+Conversation+CID_1be671f61dfdb3a78663713d500f9ac9&utm_source=campaign_monitor&utm_term=Three%20persistent%20myths%20about%20heroin%20use%20and%20overdose%20deaths

This is an interesting article I just read from a reputable daily comment site called 'The Conversation'. It is mostly about heroin use. However there is a mention about how deaths occur mostly because of a combination of drugs, including benzos. This was a big part of the reason why Xanax has been rescheduled. Well, that is what my GP told me. My own guess about why Xanax is chosen is that it is very fast acting.

(Can somebody change the spelling of 'Zanax' to 'Xanax'. It looks like  a different drug and also makes it more difficult when you do a search. It does not indicate a knowledgeable thread!  :-[)

I have just posted this on the other thread concerning this topic. I thought some people here might find it informative too.

http://theconversation.com/three-persistent-myths-about-heroin-use-and-overdose-deaths-22895?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The+Weekend+Conversation&utm_content=The+Weekend+Conversation+CID_1be671f61dfdb3a78663713d500f9ac9&utm_source=campaign_monitor&utm_term=Three%20persistent%20myths%20about%20heroin%20use%20and%20overdose%20deaths

This is an interesting article I just read from a reputable daily comment site called 'The Conversation'. It is mostly about heroin use. However there is a mention about how deaths occur mostly because of a combination of drugs, including benzos. This was a big part of the reason why Xanax has been rescheduled. Well, that is what my GP told me. My own guess about why Xanax is chosen is that it is very fast acting.

(Can somebody change the spelling of 'Zanax' to 'Xanax'. It looks like  a different drug and also makes it more difficult when you do a search. It does not indicate a knowledgeable thread!  :-[)

Interesting article Xana thanks for posting  :thumbsup:

By the way nice to see you are around again  :)

Yes, I have been using Alprax which I made sure was made in Australia with all ingredients exactly the same as the original Xanax by Pfizer which was the only one I have ever taken. It works fine!

Yes, I have been using Alprax which I made sure was made in Australia with all ingredients exactly the same as the original Xanax by Pfizer which was the only one I have ever taken. It works fine!

That's great to know I had a prescription filled with the Sandoz brand found that it's a bit fragile has a couple of extra binders to Xanax. Might be all in my head after only ever taking Xanax, I thought It took somewhat longer to work for me  :-\. The Pharmacy phoned me yesterday and asked which brand I would prefer they order form me. I have asked for the Alprax as well when I'm due for my next prescription, it will be under the Schedule 8. They dispensed two repeats for me prior to 1st of Feb.

Hope you are well  :)

xox

I haven't tried breaking these new tabs so I can't say if the texture is different. I went down to the pharmacy today to pick up a repeat. I thought that with the new scheduling they might take my fingerprints and fax them to a central agency to check me out.  ;) but there was no hassle.

My only problem was that my Low Income Health Care Card, which had been cancelled as my husband had been doing a Head of Department teaching contract, had not been processed yet. We are now eligible again and he has done the big Centrelink thing.

The assistant called me over and said that until the new card came through the cost would be $19 for the 100x .5mg. Once the card is renewed it will still be the $6.00 PBS price. Apparently the new scheduling means more work in processing so the cost to the consumer is going up, OF COURSE! So I didn't buy them but will wait until the card comes through.

Are you in Australia, Ronnie? If not, all of the above will probably sound like gibberish!

I have a few old .25 pills in the fridge. I never know whether to keep them there as it says to store under 25 degrees C. I never used to but as it is over 25 degrees through much of summer, I probably should have.

Xana  :)

I haven't tried breaking these new tabs so I can't say if the texture is different. I went down to the pharmacy today to pick up a repeat. I thought that with the new scheduling they might take my fingerprints and fax them to a central agency to check me out.  ;) but there was no hassle.

My only problem was that my Low Income Health Care Card, which had been cancelled as my husband had been doing a Head of Department teaching contract, had not been processed yet. We are now eligible again and he has done the big Centrelink thing.

The assistant called me over and said that until the new card came through the cost would be $19 for the 100x .5mg. Once the card is renewed it will still be the $6.00 PBS price. Apparently the new scheduling means more work in processing so the cost to the consumer is going up, OF COURSE! So I didn't buy them but will wait until the card comes through.

Are you in Australia, Ronnie? If not, all of the above will probably sound like gibberish!

I have a few old .25 pills in the fridge. I never know whether to keep them there as it says to store under 25 degrees C. I never used to but as it is over 25 degrees through much of summer, I probably should have.

Xana  :)

Yeah Mate!!! I'm from The Down Under I have some .25 stored as well they come in handy for cutting down. I did a little experiment wasted two pills but as we say curiosity killed the cat. Two glasses, equal amount of water 1 Xanax pill one Sandoz pill dropped them in the glass. Xanax dissolved within seconds but the Sandoz floated on top for a lot longer. I could be wrong but perhaps the absorption takes longer than the Xanax. Or the extra binders have something to do with the process. You are right the texture is different they are fairly fragile if you need to cut them just take extra care. I only tried cutting in half must try 1/4 next time.

You say you keep yours in the fridge? is that not too cool? I just keep all my meds up high in a Locked Cabinet. I did question the temperature issue once when I went on holidays the Chemist told me it was fine to leave in the cupboard. However as a responsible Alprazolam user as we are  ;) If I am going away I only ever take enough plus a few extra just with me and the rest I leave with my Pharmasist and I have always kept my Prescriptions at the Pharmacy.

Sunday  9:50am

I must try that experiment with the Alprax. Though maybe saliva (or whatever is down your gut) would dissolve them more quickly. The Xanax used to dissolve under the tongue quickly and taste foul. I heard that this method would make them work quicker but it didn't seem to.

I was saving my .25mg ones for possible future tapering too. Now I am going to take them to save the $13!

I never used to put them in the fridge. I leave the pack I'm using out. You just wonder when we get to temperatures over the 30 degree mark.

You are a VERY responsible user! Well done.

We have had 6 Pharmacies within a short radius where I live in the last 3 days. Guess what they targeted? My Pharmacy where I go to was done over on Thursday. My daughter told me that there was an article on the news not only are they targeting Pharmacies but Drs Cars and Medical centers and stealing Prescription pads. I missed the news will see if she can find it for me I'm curious.

Yes, I have always been responsible and basically done exactly what what the new regulations require except for the prescribing method is different. My last refill was still under the Schedule 4.

I have been already told that I will not be effected in any way whatsoever. I like to hold on to my .25Mg's for phasing down as I can cut the pill into 1/4's. Also My Dr prescribes me 1Mg's it works out cheaper that .5.

xoxo

Thanks for your quick reply.  It's 5:00 a.m. here in the states and I can't sleep, as usual.  :)  First, congratulations on being benzo free!  Never having to worry about being tethered to a doctor because of this horrible drug must be a real relief!  However, I hope they won't short all benzos, especially the long acting ones.  I think it's great Australia seems to be heading in the right direction regarding public awareness, but not at the expense of those who still need to taper. 

The FDA is so entangled with Big Pharma it may be years before the U.S. begins to address this epidemic problem.  It is only a matter of time before we FINALLY make benzos a schedule II drug, and who knows when that might be?  Thus, I have been urging a family member and several friends to really think about creating a tapering plan, but they look at me as though I've grown a new head.  :laugh:  It's not likely I will be overly enthusiastic about helping them if they are c/t'd or tapered too quickly. 

Anyway, as bad as my taper was, I am sooooooooo glad to be free!  Woo hoo!

:smitten:

[47...]

Hello babyrex, I am 2 years off Xanax and nearly 16 months out from a Valium taper.  Rest assured your sleep will return it just takes time..... This all takes lots of time..... Yes most of Australia is pretty switched on these days when it comes to benzos.  I have the most amazing Addictive Medicine Dr, who has a special interest in Xanax...... and is doing some amazing work with patients, research and training other Drs.

Babyrex remember this process is different for everyone, I am here to say it does start to get better and better.  Congratulations, look after your self and trust you will heal....  :smitten::hug:

Towardsthesun:

Things are getting grim ...... the supplies are drying up.

The brand name yes...... generics I dont know???

As you work for one of the top addiction doctors in the country, I thought you might need this information to pass on to patients should they be worried after hearing scare stories about not being able to obtain a form of alprazolam.

In Australia the name brand 'Xanax', made by Pfizer, went off the market last December. I emailed Pfizer from their contact  information on their internet web page. They answered me promptly, indicating that the cessation of supply was due to commercial reasons and there were plenty of other brands of alprazolam available. The supplies are not drying up.

On consultation with my pharmacist I purchased Alprax - a brand made by Aspen here in Australia. I emailed them also to check that the pills were actually manufactured here. The ingredients found in their product are:

ALPRAX

lactose

microcrystalline cellulose

maize starch

sodium benzoate

docusate sodium

povidone

colloidal anhydrous silica

sodium starch glycollate

magnesium stearate

Pigment Blend Purple PB20026 (ALPRAX 0.5 only)

Indigo Carmine CI 73015 (132) (ALPRAX 1 only).

Manufacturer

Arrow Pharmaceuticals Limited

24 Rothschild Ave

Rosebery NSW 2018

The ingredients for Xanax made by Pfizer (no longer available in Australia) are:

XANAX

Ingredients

Xanax tablets contain alprazolam as the active ingredient.

It also contains:

lactose

microcrystalline cellulose

colloidal silica anhydrous

maize starch

docusate sodium with sodium benzoate

magnesium stearate

erythrosine CI 45430 (500 microgram and 1 mg tablet only)

indigo carmine CI 73015 (1 mg tablet only).

Supplier

Xanax is supplied in Australia by:

Pfizer Australia Pty Ltd

ABN 50 008 422 348

38-42 Wharf Road

West Ryde NSW 2114

Australia

Toll Free number: 1800 675 229

Pfizer Direct

38-42 Wharf Road West Ryde 2114 NSW

Australian registration numbers

250 microgram tablet: AUST R 62558

500 microgram tablet: AUST R 12352

1 mg tablet: AUST R 12353

2 mg tablet: AUST R 53931

There are other brands. I will search their details and post them as I don't want to make this post too long and confusing.

Ronnie: I think I told you the Alprax ingredients were identical to Xanax. Sorry. There are a couple of differences. I asked about the rumours that other brands might not have the same amount of the active ingredient, as I have heard people say this. This was the answer from Aspen:

On your question about the amount of active ingredient contained in generic medicines, the statement that "a generic medication is legally permitted to contain 20% more or less of the active ingredient contained in the original product" is not true. All medicines registered in Australia by the TGA, whether generic or innovator/original brands, must contain the quantity of active as stated on the pack.

Please speak with your pharmacist should you have any further questions about medicines. You may also want to contact NPS Medicinewise on 1300 633 424.

Kind regards

Robert

Aspen Australia

Aspen Australia comprises Aspen Asia Pacific Pty Ltd (ABN 75 146 444 484) and its subsidiaries, including Aspen Pharmacare Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 51 096 236 985), Aspen Pharma Pty Ltd (ABN 88 004 118 594), Aspen Nutritionals Pty Limited (ABN 31 160 607 509) , Orphan Holdings Pty Ltd (ABN 50 115 816 209), Orphan Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 11 067 189 342), Herron Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd (ABN 52 010 481 366) and Arrow Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd (ABN 17 003 144 170).

What have I done now???

I was trying to help people who might be concerned. I looked that info up for myself ages ago - that's why I was able to post it straight away.