Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Hi Jo-  I only dose once a day and that is at nights.  I started out twice a day and removed my daytime dose first.  Now I am just reducing my night time dose.  I never had the sedating feeling during the daytime, but that was just me.

I hope you can find what will work best for you  :thumbsup:

Marie

Thank you very much for your reply and sharing your thoughts, kindness and compassion go a long way in helping all of us in these difficult times. I am still at a loss and was hoping for more input from other BB, but I am going to have to make some kind of a decision soon as I am getting closer to resuming my taper. After what I just went through, I hate to experiment, but that is probably going to be my only option in figuring this out and what works for me.

Again thanks for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated more than I can express.

Joel :smitten:

Jojo- When I updosed from 1 mg to 4 mg I had a period of more intense sedation, I also switched from 1x to 2x daily dosing. I don’t recall how long it lasted, but it did pass. I stuck with the 2x daily dosing until January of this year when I gradually switched to 1x daily dosing. I think going back to 2x will be fine for you and I think it may help lessen the sedation you feel.

Jojo- When I updosed from 1 mg to 4 mg I had a period of more intense sedation, I also switched from 1x to 2x daily dosing. I don’t recall how long it lasted, but it did pass. I stuck with the 2x daily dosing until January of this year when I gradually switched to 1x daily dosing. I think going back to 2x will be fine for you and I think it may help lessen the sedation you feel.

Thanks you so much. I was leaning on going back to twice a day before I started tapering again and just slowing down my taper and hold more often. Will it work...only trying it will I find out.

Thanks for the reply kitsune.

Jojo dancer.  I still can't get used to the sedating effects.  I feel like it's more sedating than helping with my anxiety.  When they first put my on 20 mg of D, I think I slept all day and all night

BB’s -  I wish it had been sedating for me...LOL.  I would have loved to sleep through my w/d SX.  Jojo-  I think you should switch to the 2x a day, and then gradually to 1 x a day in the eve.  That’s my honest opinion, I just didn’t want to come across as “ pushy” .  And because V has such a long half life, you could even play around with the doses.....reduce the day time dose, and make the eve dose higher, gradually until the daytime dose is phased out.  That should help reduce the heavy sedation feeling, while still giving your body the x amount of mg in a 24 hour period.

And you are welcome.....we are all in this together  :smitten:

Marie

Jojo dancer.  I still can't get used to the sedating effects.  I feel like it's more sedating than helping with my anxiety.  When they first put my on 20 mg of D, I think I slept all day and all night

I was just like that when I c/o to 15mg of V from ativan, but then then sedation lessened as I got lower in my dose. When I was updosed from 3.32mg to 6mg a day, all the old sedation feelings came back. I sleep about 6-7 hours a night, but I still feel exhausted all day. I have also still been holding down a full time job throughout all of this process, but I'm not sure how much longer I can continue to do that with s/x getting worse as I get lower in dose.

Best wishes to you and thank you for the reply.

BB’s -  I wish it had been sedating for me...LOL.  I would have loved to sleep through my w/d SX.  Jojo-  I think you should switch to the 2x a day, and then gradually to 1 x a day in the eve.  That’s my honest opinion, I just didn’t want to come across as “ pushy” .  And because V has such a long half life, you could even play around with the doses.....reduce the day time dose, and make the eve dose higher, gradually until the daytime dose is phased out.  That should help reduce the heavy sedation feeling, while still giving your body the x amount of mg in a 24 hour period.

And you are welcome.....we are all in this together  :smitten:

Marie

You didn't come across as pushy at all. I welcome all input and suggestions. I believe that is what this forum is for...trying to help and support others who are lost and frightened. I think I am going to try to go back to twice a day dosing and see what happens before i start tapering again.

Thank you again for the thoughts.

Joel

Joel -  That sounds like a good plan.  I’m sorry work is becoming so challenging.  I was in a really bad place last month (for a few months, I only had occasional windows) until I held for about a month and stabilized.  Thankfully I am not working right now.  There is no way I could have worked. I would have had to take a medical leave.  So my heart goes out to you.  I hope things will get better with 2x a day, and the sedation will wear off.

Marie.

Hi all

Just been reading a book "Magnesium and The Central Nervous System and thought this part was an interesting read:

Benzodiazepines

Magnesium aspartate decreases benzodiazepine addiction (lorazepam, alprazolam, or bromazepam) (Hantouche et al., 1998). The decrease in addiction intensity was manifested as prolonged delay in benzodiazepine reintake, reduction of withdrawal intensity, and reduction of anxiety during benzodiazepine discontinuation. In benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome, strong anxiety is present. This phenomenon is associated with a potentiation of AMPA receptor activity and AMPA receptor currents in hippocampal pyramidal neurons. Calcium/ calmodulin–dependent protein kinase (PK) II has a contribution by enhancing the glutamatergic synaptic activity during benzodiazepine withdrawal (Shen et al., 2010). In some patients that received Mg L-aspartate, cessation of benzodiazepines was obtained without onset of withdrawal syndrome. It is possible that magnesium ions acting at the level of AMPA receptors influence the calcium/calmodulin dependent PK II to reduce the anxiety and other clinical symptoms present in benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome.

I too take magnesium and went off it to see if it made any difference, sure did, reinstated that sucker and NEVER forget to take it.

I also had liver problems at one stage last year, did some research and took Dr Sandra Cabot's Liver Shots within a month all liver function back to normal, although some may not be able to take this as they contain Taurine which can rev you up a bit, which it did in the beginning but I persevered and luckily my body adjusted.

Gypsygal

Sorry to bring up old thread.

What is benzodiazepine reuptake

What kind of magnesium is needed?

There was a discussion about this in the main Withdrawal Board fairly recently. The Magnesium is Magnesium Aspartate. There are different types of Magnesium. For Example, I take Magnesium Glycinate.

Here is a definition of reuptake, https://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definition.php?term=Reuptake

And here's an abstract of the study mentioned,  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9850822/

There was a discussion about this in the main Withdrawal Board fairly recently. The Magnesium is Magnesium Aspartate. There are different types of Magnesium. For Example, I take Magnesium Glycinate.

Here is a definition of reuptake, https://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definition.php?term=Reuptake

And here's an abstract of the study mentioned,  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9850822/

Thank you, I will try for the magnesium aspartate as the article I read specified that type.I want to stop taking progesterone after my taper, as progesterone is cross tolerant with benzos and I hope that the magnesium will help.

Can someone suggest how I can best split my dose of D? I currently take around 5.1mg and have been having a horrible time even doing microcuts. I haven’t been able to stabilize the last few weeks and feel like I’m now in interdose WD during the day. I dose once at night.

Any suggestions how to do this? I’m terrified of the repercussions of changing my doses becuase I’m super sensitive at this point. Help please!

Can someone suggest how I can best split my dose of D? I currently take around 5.1mg and have been having a horrible time even doing microcuts. I haven’t been able to stabilize the last few weeks and feel like I’m now in interdose WD during the day. I dose once at night.

Any suggestions how to do this? I’m terrified of the repercussions of changing my doses becuase I’m super sensitive at this point. Help please!

Hello

From reading a bit of your signature it sounds as if you tapered too fast before you began your daily titration.

Opinions may vary here but I think that it may be good for you to hold until you stabilise.

When you resume your taper, start with a “test cut” and see how that goes, reducing the cut as soon as you feel symptoms, or, increasing the cut if you feel good.

The cuts must not be too big.

What is liquid are you using?

The liquid must be something that dissolves your benzo.

Hello

From reading a bit of your signature it sounds as if you tapered too fast before you began your daily titration.

Opinions may vary here but I think that it may be good for you to hold until you stabilise.

When you resume your taper, start with a “test cut” and see how that goes, reducing the cut as soon as you feel symptoms, or, increasing the cut if you feel good.

I'm with Journey, you tapered way too fast. The recommendation is no more than 5 to 10% over 1 to 2 weeks. It's all symptom based. And it sounds like your symptoms have been telling you to slow down fo some time. I wouldn't even consider another cut in your dose until you have held at your current dose and let your brain and body catch up with the drastic cuts. The idea is to minimize (not eliminate) symptoms so you are funtional and not suffering too much. Slow is the best way to go. When you feel stable and symptoms are minor, that's the time to resume your taper.

Hello

I'm with Journey, you tapered way too fast. The recommendation is no more than 5 to 10% over 1 to 2 weeks. It's all symptom based. And it sounds like your symptoms have been telling you to slow down fo some time. I wouldn't even consider another cut in your dose until you have held at your current dose and let your brain and body catch up with the drastic cuts. The idea is to minimize (not eliminate) symptoms so you are funtional and not suffering too much. Slow is the best way to go. When you feel stable and symptoms are minor, that's the time to resume your taper.

Thanks but actually I was successful in my taper from 15mg until about 5.3mg as I was not on a benzo for too long. I had been quite stable during the taper, of course it was difficult but I always stabilized for a week or two before cutting again. I had been stable but after 5.3 mg just found it increasingly difficult to make even small cuts. So last few months haven’t been able to cut much at all. And now I’m having WD all day despite not having cut anything for a month. After my last micro cut I stabilized but slowly began having more symptoms during the day, hence why I think I’m in interdose withdrawal now. Wondering how best to move forward, each day it’s getting worse. I’ve heard splitting the dose may help but not sure how to do this? What to expect?

Hello

Thanks but actually I was successful in my taper from 15mg until about 5.3mg as I was not on a benzo for too long. I had been quite stable during the taper, of course it was difficult but I always stabilized for a week or two before cutting again. I had been stable but after 5.3 mg just found it increasingly difficult to make even small cuts. So last few months haven’t been able to cut much at all. And now I’m having WD all day despite not having cut anything for a month. After my last micro cut I stabilized but slowly began having more symptoms during the day, hence why I think I’m in interdose withdrawal now. Wondering how best to move forward, each day it’s getting worse. I’ve heard splitting the dose may help but not sure how to do this? What to expect?

Hi-  I too looked over your signature and you did go very fast.  You say it went well and I am curious, when you say you stabilized before moving forward, did you have any w/d symptoms, or did you feel back to yourself? 

Hi BB’s

Well I have been doing my micro taper...my compound V is 2ML = 10MG.  I got to 1.95 (so .5mg down, 9.5mg) and I started to feel it...wow.  So I decided to hold for 3 nights.  Tonight I will continue down to 1.94 and I will go from there...if I have to hold, I will. I will get to 9mg!!  ;D.....I am liking this DLMT, so much more.  Before, by now, I was feeling pretty bad at my 1mg cuts and now I am out walking the dog’s, and participating in life :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a good weekend :smitten:

Ps...some SX. Vibrating, bowels (that won’t last)muscle pain/joint, a little tinnitus, but not too bad. :thumbsup:

Marie

Hello

Your signature says the following.

“Tapered roughly 1-1.5mg a week until I reached about 5.2mg Oct 23 and crashed hard.

-Re-instated to 5.5mg held for 10 days and began LMT

-Dec 10 5.23mg & struggling with WDs”

This is why I suggested you hold and stabilise.

It won’t do you any harm to titration upwards a little, until you notice an improvement, then hold until stable.

Or, you could just hold until stable.

I would not advise continuing to cut through symptoms.

I dose once daily, we are all different.

If you split your dose it’s preferable to make the doses even and space them evenly apart.

I am forgetful that’s why I dose once a day.

Can you tell me what liquid you are using to dissolve your Valium?

I ask because that is where the problem may lie.

Hello

Hi-  I too looked over your signature and you did go very fast.  You say it went well and I am curious, when you say you stabilized before moving forward, did you have any w/d symptoms, or did you feel back to yourself?

Hi, I waited to feel back to myself before I cut again. I had a long hold from December to end of Jan and felt totally stable. I even moved!  It’s now Mid March and I haven’t been able to taper much, even small cuts would rock me for about 10 days. I was only able to go down like 0.2mg or maybe a little less.  So not much has been happening since December. This past couple weeks I’ve noticed WD symptoms getting worse throughout the day, especially the last few days. 

Thanks Journey, I use tablets and dissolve them in water to do my water taper. Since I only dose daily before Bed I dissolve my

Hello

Your signature says the following.

“Tapered roughly 1-1.5mg a week until I reached about 5.2mg Oct 23 and crashed hard.

-Re-instated to 5.5mg held for 10 days and began LMT

-Dec 10 5.23mg & struggling with WDs”

This is why I suggested you hold and stabilise.

It won’t do you any harm to titration upwards a little, until you notice an improvement, then hold until stable.

Or, you could just hold until stable.

I would not advise continuing to cut through symptoms.

I dose once daily, we are all different.

If you split your dose it’s preferable to make the doses even and space them evenly apart.

I am forgetful that’s why I dose once a day.

Can you tell me what liquid you are using to dissolve your Valium?

I ask because that is where the problem may lie.

Hi Journey,

I dissolve in water. I have 1 5mg tabs and 1/4 of a 2mg tab (0.5mg). I dissolve the 0.5mgs in water and then remove a set amount to taper.  I dissolve it in 30ml water and remove 16.35ml and drink the remaining. Then I take my 5mg tab.

Hello

Hi, I waited to feel back to myself before I cut again. I had a long hold from December to end of Jan and felt totally stable. I even moved!  It’s now Mid March and I haven’t been able to taper much, even small cuts would rock me for about 10 days. I was only able to go down like 0.2mg or maybe a little less.  So not much has been happening since December. This past couple weeks I’ve noticed WD symptoms getting worse throughout the day, especially the last few days.

Thank you for that.....well I don’t know what to say.  I am so sorry.  This is a fear for me in the future.  Are you daily micro tapering? Or just making very small cuts every x amount of days?  I’m sorry if I missed this in your signature.  If you’re daily micro tapering you can micro micro taper and hold....and then hold until you stabalize, and then started dmt “micro micro/hold hold”....just a thought.

Marie

I was posting when you were posting...so I see you are doing a DLMT.  I have heard that the “water” isn’t as reliable, because it doesn’t dissolve the tablets as well, so people use alcohol.  Can you get the D liquid prescribe?  Or can you get a compound pharmacy to do it? I have a compound pharmacy do it and it’s only 25$ every 2 weeks. 

This may be what is causing your w/d SX to be increasing....just a thought.

Marie

I was posting when you were posting...so I see you are doing a DLMT.  I have heard that the “water” isn’t as reliable, because it doesn’t dissolve the tablets as well, so people use alcohol.  Can you get the D liquid prescribe?  Or can you get a compound pharmacy to do it? I have a compound pharmacy do it and it’s only 25$ every 2 weeks. 

Marie

I’ve been thinking about asking for liquid V instead. I didn’t have good luck with compounded Benzo in the past.

Marie

I am so glad I switched over to liquid V....it went smooth for me, and now is making my DLMT super easy.  I have actually held at 1.95mL for 3nights because I was really feeling the w/d starting (that is 9.5mg for me, my compound is 2ml = 10mg)..I may even hold again tonight.

Maybe you should try and switch over.  :thumbsup:

Marie

I’ve been thinking about asking for liquid V instead. I didn’t have good luck with compounded Benzo in the past.