Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Guilty as charged :)

I tapered fast as long as symptoms did not appear. I had no symptoms at all down to ~3.5mg.

Once symptoms appeared, I slowed the taper down.

I recommended to dvd that she slow down at 5mg because she said she started experiencing symptoms at that point.

Chessplayer

Yeah, I was just goofing around with you. I'm getting hit pretty hard just north of 5mg myself. So strange because only 3 days ago I was counting on being at an even 5mg and holding in just under a week. Now I'm in holding pattern at an odd dosage. So frustrating, no to mention emotionally/physically difficult right now.  I never knew I could be so cold in my own skin.

Ed, when I was int he midst of tapering it was 98 degrees outside and I was shivering under a duvet.

I got a heating throw , similar To this one

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Microplush-Heated-Throw-TSM8US-R788-32A00/dp/B008BF2SRE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1459452984&sr=8-10&keywords=Heating+throws

Man! That helped. I could just lay on the couch and have this blanket one me or around my shoulders and tummy and get warm all the way through. I could not get warm on my own.

I also used it on top of my duvet for 10 minutes before bed.

Just sharing a little something that worked for me..

Thanks Moodle!  I went with the "ugly" walnut color, saved $13 AND it was eligible for free prime 2 day shipping. Just have to hang in there until Monday.

Wow. I can't believe so many get cold. My problem is hot flashes. I only get the freezes in opiate withdrawal. I'm not sure which is better lol.

I tapered fast as long as symptoms did not appear. I had no symptoms at all down to ~3.5mg.

I recommended to dvd that she slow down at 5mg because she said she started experiencing symptoms at that point.

Chessplayer

Yeah, I was just goofing around with you. I'm getting hit pretty hard just north of 5mg myself. So strange because only 3 days ago I was counting on being at an even 5mg and holding in just under a week. Now I'm in holding pattern at an odd dosage. So frustrating, no to mention emotionally/physically difficult right now.  I never knew I could be so cold in my own skin.

Ed, when I was int he midst of tapering it was 98 degrees outside and I was shivering under a duvet.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Microplush-Heated-Throw-TSM8US-R788-32A00/dp/B008BF2SRE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1459452984&sr=8-10&keywords=Heating+throws

Man! That helped. I could just lay on the couch and have this blanket one me or around my shoulders and tummy and get warm all the way through. I could not get warm on my own.

Thanks Moodle!  I went with the "ugly" walnut color, saved $13 AND it was eligible for free prime 2 day shipping. Just have to hang in there until Monday.

I paid 4$ more for the zebra print lol!  I'm going to freeze in style :)

Chessplayer

That's awesome! Thank you for making me smile for the first time in 2 days! I appreciate it.  :thumbsup:

Wow. I can't believe so many get cold. My problem is hot flashes. I only get the freezes in opiate withdrawal. I'm not sure which is better lol.

Yeah, I don't think there is a better in this one.  Moodle, while you're around, did you experience chills for your entire taper or was it just through a certain range?

Thanks,

Ed

Chessplayer

That's awesome! Thank you for making me smile for the first time in 2 days! I appreciate it.  :thumbsup:

Haha, you guys are funny.

Mine is a very strange blue-ish color and my kitten decided it looks better with loose loops on it.  >:(

Yeah, I don't think there is a better in this one.  Moodle, while you're around, did you experience chills for your entire taper or was it just through a certain range?

Thanks,

Ed

It came and went . Definitely not during my whole taper. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

It wasn't just during a certain range or dose . It could be there for a few weeks and then not at all for months.

Also, I was heat intolerant for most of my taper. I never liked heat in the first place but when I was tapering, I hated being in the sun. Except when I had a period of freezing. The best thing was getting into my husbands car when the sun was out . It has dark leather seats and was super nice and warm when I was freezing .

Oh, the things we do!  :crazy:

Thanks,

Ed

It came and went . Definitely not during my whole taper. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

It wasn't just during a certain range or dose . It could be there for a few weeks and then not at all for months.

Also, I was heat intolerant for most of my taper. I never liked heat in the first place but when I was tapering, I hated being in the sun. Except when I had a period of freezing. The best thing was getting into my husbands car when the sun was out . It has dark leather seats and was super nice and warm when I was freezing .

Not crazy at all!  I can picture how good that must have felt right now.

Thanks,

Ed

Have you had any results back on the liver test, Ed?

I hope it's ok...

Thanks,

Ed

I hope it's ok...

Yes, good news...I'm too fat.  But seriously, my enzymes were slightly elevated because I have a bit of a fatty liver. Fortunately, weight loss will allow this to be reversed. Unfortunately, bread is one of my staples and one of the few things I can eat right now.  Also, they found a gallstone. Luckily it is asymptomatic and my doc isn't a money grubber who wanted to pluck out my gallbladder for no good reason. Overall, I was really relieved. Thank you for asking. :smitten:

Thanks,

Ed

I hope it's ok...

Yes, good news...I'm too fat.  But seriously, my enzymes were slightly elevated because I have a bit of a fatty liver. Fortunately, weight loss will allow this to be reversed. Unfortunately, bread is one of my staples and one of the few things I can eat right now.  Also, they found a gallstone. Luckily it is asymptomatic and my doc isn't a money grubber who wanted to pluck out my gallbladder for no good reason. Overall, I was really relieved. Thank you for asking. :smitten:

Yay!! Great news..

I'm glad. You must be relieved.. Waiting for test results can be nerve wrecking.

And good thing your doc is happy with the car he driving ... ;D

Thanks,

Ed

I'm doing cut and hold right now so my chills come on about day 3 and last until I stabilize.  So far I've had them with every cut (I've done 6 to be exact).  I'm coming out of the worst of a cut now and they are starting to subside.  I don't think they ever fully go away but definitely much, much better after I stabilize.  Worst is when I get up in the morning.  I wake up cold and shaking under my pile of blankets.  I dread taking off my clothes to get in the shower but then I warm up with the hot water.  Then I walk around in sweatpants and a jacket all day, even if it's warm outside.  Can't wait to get my blanket for TV time on the couch at night. 

Thanks,

Ed

I'm doing cut and hold right now so my chills come on about day 3 and last until I stabilize.  So far I've had them with every cut (I've done 6 to be exact).  I'm coming out of the worst of a cut now and they are starting to subside.  I don't think they ever fully go away but definitely much, much better after I stabilize.  Worst is when I get up in the morning.  I wake up cold and shaking under my pile of blankets.  I dread taking off my clothes to get in the shower but then I warm up with the hot water.  Then I walk around in sweatpants and a jacket all day, even if it's warm outside.  Can't wait to get my blanket for TV time on the couch at night.

I hear you there. My hoodie and I are inseparable. I hope you are able to continue with your cut and hold. It was nice and simple for me and I wasn't attached to my kitchen.  As you can see in my signature, around 8mg or so, it became to much and I had to switch over to liquid microtaper. 

Thanks,

Ed

I hear you there. My hoodie and I are inseparable. I hope you are able to continue with your cut and hold. It was nice and simple for me and I wasn't attached to my kitchen.  As you can see in my signature, around 8mg or so, it became to much and I had to switch over to liquid microtaper.

Yep, totally have a hoodie lol.  I'm going to keep with cut and hold as long as I can, hopefully all the way down, but we'll see what happens.  I do enjoy the simplicity of cut and hold.  That's really the only thing I can find that's enjoyable about it  :(  But whatever will get me off this stuff, that's what I'm gonna do!

I had chills before the valium kicked in. Now Im back to middle aged wimmens hot flashes. I kinda MISS the chills.

Hello Everyone,  is anyone have taken Antibiotic while tapering?  My Dr. told me to continue my taper while on AB due to inflamed sore throat, I'm holding my taper for 2 days now it improved a bit its my 2nd day of AB.

thanks, mcm

Do NOT take anything in the flourouquinolone class (Cipro, etc)

You should have no problem with any conventional AB.

Thanks Builder, Im taking amoxicillin 250, im hoping it wont really affect my symptoms.

Regards

Mcm

I did a 28 day course of amox during my taper had no problems at all.

What exactly is wrong with taking flourouquinolones while tapering? I read that on here and relayed the info to my pdoc and he just looked at me like I had no idea what I was talking about.  In truth, I didn't. In fairness to him, he is the one who turned me on to the Ashton taper.

Thanks,

Ed

I had a terrible reaction to both cipro and amoxicillan but I had underlying health issues

Cipro brought back my interstitial cystitis that had been in remission for 7 years. Last year amoxicillan laid me out. This year Zithromax killed me. I can't take anything I get soooo revved up. I couldn't even do the liquid Valium.

My husband took cipro for 30 days. He's an ox and even he felt like crap.

It interacts w GABA receptors somehow. I forget..stay away. Lots of toxicity from cipro

I copied this from a British post.

Antibiotics and Withdrawal

There is some evidence that antibiotics, especially the quinolones, e.g. Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) can complicate withdrawal. A considerable number of people withdrawing from benzodiazepines have reported quite serious adverse reactions and side-effects after using quinolone antibiotics. There are similar reports from people who are still taking the drug, as well as those who are suffering from the post-withdrawal syndrome. The fact that these antibiotics affect the central nervous system (CNS) certainly accounts for this phenomenon. People suffering from benzodiazepine withdrawal (including tolerance withdrawal) also have a tendency to suffer from a weakened immune system. Some people have actually refused to take antibiotics for pneumonia, which is inadvisable and potentially fatal. However, antibiotics should only be taken by the benzodiazepine patient when they are critical to his/her overall health. The use of older antibiotics which do not affect the CNS is always advised.

Here is a list of antibiotics to avoid during w/d if at all possible.

LIST OF QUINOLONE ANTIBIOTICS -

ofloxacin(Floxin®), levofloxacin(Levaquin®, Tavanic®), ciprofloxacin(Cipro®,Baycip®, Cetraxal®, Ciflox®, Cifran®, Ciplox®, Cyprobay®, Quintor®),norfloxacin(Noroxin®, Amicrobin®, Anquin®, Baccidal®, Barazan®, Biofloxin®,Floxenor®, Fulgram®, Janacin®, Lexinor®, Norofin®, Norxacin®, Orixacin®,Oroflox®, Urinox®, Zoroxin®), enoxacin(Penetrex®), lomefloxacin(Maxaquin®),grepafloxacin(Raxar®), trovafloxacin(Trovan®), sparfloxacin(Zagam®),temafloxacin(Omniflox®), moxifloxacin(Avelox®), gatifloxacin(Tequin®), gemifloxacin

U.K - ciprofloxacin by the brand name Ciproxin®. 

There are new ones coming out every day so be sure to sure to double-check even if your antibiotic isn’t on this list

Personally I did take these once when I had a bad flu and could hardly breath. I didn't feel I had a bad reaction but we are all different and the decision is yours. Try not to get too worked about it, if you try taking them and you feel a reaction you can always stop them.  :thumbsup:

ATU