Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Hello BB,

I just came back from Europe to US and getting stable on Diazepam. The problem is I won't have

European Diazepam here :'( and Roche doesn't make Valium anymore and I've had bad experience

with some generics. Anybody else with same problem?

What is the best generic? Maybe I will try some others :D

Thanks

Kitten, I don't know about the best generic. I started just by chance with Teva and didn't want to risk changing it due to possible differences in potency among different generics. Teva seemed to work out well enough for me.

Maybe others will chime in with their experiences. 

Okatz

Trudie, Teva is a pretty common generic. Most pharmacies carry it. And if they don't have it in stock, they can order it (or any other brand) for you.

Lainey, I believe mine is migraine associated vertigo too. I believe the ativan was controlling it 100% and that's why I want to switch to valium because it's longer acting, but I'm also worried that won't control it like the ativan did. But time will tell.

Gyn appt went well but she doesn't even want to do a follow up ultrasound for my complex ovarian cyst like the ER recommended. She was nice but I'm going to keep looking for another doc.

Trudie, Teva is a pretty common generic. Most pharmacies carry it. And if they don't have it in stock, they can order it (or any other brand) for you.

Teva is the one I prefer  and I've already called five pharmacies and they don't carry it and they can order it I don't know where you are but in my area it seems to be hard to get.

[95...]

Hello BB,

I just came back from Europe to US and getting stable on Diazepam. The problem is I won't have

European Diazepam here :'( and Roche doesn't make Valium anymore and I've had bad experience

Thanks

Hi Kitten,

I'm in the US, and my pharmacy a still able to source Valium but it is extremely expensive.

I am unable to tolerate the genetics so pay the hefty price.

Marija

Hi, I have to say that, I have never had any problems with any generic Valium and have been on them for

thirty years, I would consider myself lucky in that respect, cost is low. But we all know that we can never

consider ourselves LUCKY to have to take this  >:D benzo. So I take whatever they give me,and it changes

all the time, costs me $2 with my Medicare Part D. I will just be glad when I no longer have to take this

drug.  :)

I used a generic throughout my taper and never had any problems. I always made sure they gave me the same one though because I didn't want to chop and change what I was taking in case it caused problems. That's the only thing I would suggest - whatever you start with try to stick with it throughout your taper just so you have that consistency.

Hello BB,

Thanks

Hi Kitten,

I'm pretty sensitive to meds. I use only the Watson/Activis generic valium. I seem to tolerate it well. It's a high quality generic and doesn't crumble into tiny little pieces when you try to cut it.

When I was researching generic valium Watson/Activist and Teva seemed to be the preferred manufacturers. Mylan made me sick.

Hope this helps, LB

I used a generic throughout my taper and never had any problems. I always made sure they gave me the same one though because I didn't want to chop and change what I was taking in case it caused problems. That's the only thing I would suggest - whatever you start with try to stick with it throughout your taper just so you have that consistency.

That's what I'm trying to do I started with Teva  and that's why I want to stick with that .

Hey Kittens,

I went to 3 pharmacies before I found one that carried Watson/Activis. I found it at a small independently owned  pharmacy not too far from home.

I have used only Teva after having Mylan one time and it felt like a placebo

one you start on a brand its best to stick with that because if you are sensitive the fillers in the dig=fferent generics can mess you up more...in my experiance

Thank you ...  So you think either teva or Watson  even though I've been on Teva this whole time ?  Do you think this doctor will help me find a pharmacy that has the brand I prefer or is that  my job ?  I have already been calling around and having no luck .  Plus I was told he would do Skype sessions after the first appointment so I need to find a pharmacy that will deliver via mail to my home because no pharmacy close to me will honor a prescription from a doctor  out of the area for a controlled substances.

I have been on Mylan since 5mg.  I had no relief from it and wouldn't recommend it.  Teva was much better IMO.  But I don't know if it's the quality of the drug or the withdrawl itself.

Jeez, I am taking the cheap version and doing OK, and have for years probably, I will say that it does crumble easy, but

whatever I am taking it still is horrid at times trying to withdraw, so it must have the same properties, like good leather

shoes are better than faux leather I guess, But from what I am reading that some have had problems with the cheaper V,

agree with Hamm.

I just read your daily taper and realized it took almost 2 years to go from 5mg v to 0.  I am cut and hold tapering from 31 mg cutting 2 mg every two weeks.  Will do daily taper when I get lower.  Can I expect it will take me another 2 years after I get from this 31mg to 5?  Or is this another "everyone is different" scenario.  If so, how long will it take to get from 31 to 0?  I tried figuring it out but my math skills are failing me.  For some reason I thought the whole taper would take 3 years, so that's what I told my husband.  I need to tell him about how long it will really take, just a ballpark would be appreciated.  Thank you, my ignorance is apparently stunning.  Cross

I would choose daily tapering every time, because I just know how easy it is to do, and for me cut and hold was completely impossible to do. However, that's my opinion, and everyone is different. Some people can cut and hold quite well - I'm just not one of them.

I just read your daily taper and realized it took almost 2 years to go from 5mg v to 0.  I am cut and hold tapering from 31 mg cutting 2 mg every two weeks.  Will do daily taper when I get lower.  Can I expect it will take me another 2 years after I get from this 31mg to 5?  Or is this another "everyone is different" scenario.  If so, how long will it take to get from 31 to 0?  I tried figuring it out but my math skills are failing me.  For some reason I thought the whole taper would take 3 years, so that's what I told my husband.  I need to tell him about how long it will really take, just a ballpark would be appreciated.  Thank you, my ignorance is apparently stunning.  Cross

I would choose daily tapering every time, because I just know how easy it is to do, and for me cut and hold was completely impossible to do. However, that's my opinion, and everyone is different. Some people can cut and hold quite well - I'm just not one of them.

"Everyone is different". While it took me that long it doesn't mean it will take you that long, but on the other hand I've seen a lot of people who've taken longer.

I would honestly try to avoid making any schedules or deadlines with a taper. A taper will take as long as a taper takes. I'm afraid there is really no other answer. Any time frames anyone would give you would just be a guess.

Generally though the higher doses tend to come off more "easily" - if there is such a word in tapering, but you will probably be able to drop your dose considerably over the first year. However, the lower doses do tend to be the slowest.

I've used Mylan throughout my whole taper.

IMO, the most important thing is to stick with one brand and not switch if you can avoid it.

They do crumble. But when you break them by hand,they split even . When I tried cutting them ( and I have tried any kind of cutting device or box cutter on the market ::)) they crumbled.