Important Survey - Please Participate ×

I think that I am big deep doo doo!!

[So...]

Most of you know that I went c/t from xanax on 8/4/13. I then became very ill, and lost over 40 lbs in three months. My Dr put me on Klonopin two weeks ago, to try and stabilize mr, but it has made me sick.

So, now he has put me on Ativan and wants me tapered off in two months!!

But, he said that he would allow me to use it nightly, or as prn after that.  :idiot:

So now, how do I cross over to Ativan, from Klonopin and do a taper?

He did also say, that if he see's my usage of the Ativan go down in two months, he will renew my scripts. He has prescribed me .50 x 4 per day. Right now I am on 1.0 of Klonopin per day. He is also putting me on low dose Celexa.

But, like I said, I have only been on the Klonopin for two weeks.

So, how much doo doo am I in???

Need help with all of this, because I am unsure of what to do.

Please, please, please help me with this.

Denise  :smitten:

MamaS....be careful...it has taken me 6 months yo taper off of 1 mg of ativan...Imo ativan can be tough...it is one of those short acting benzos..I am absolutely in no position to suggest anything. Having said that..my concern would be.. what is the plan for tapering off the ativan..a valium cross over?..  Did your physician not want to use valium to cross to from the klonopin?...I did a direct cut taper off of ativan...so I don't know how much easier it would have been with a v. cross over. There were some bumpy days at mid- taper ..the first few cuts were tolerable but the middle ( about 6-7 weeks) made scribble scrabble out of my life...for me things are improving at end taper ( leaping after the holidays)..... 2 months is nearly a c/t jump from 2mg of ativan....is your physician open to reading the Ashton Manual?.. would he agree to a more gradual taper down from the ativan....We are all different...and we do what we have to do,  but I don't think I could have done a fast taper from ativan...going slow slow slow was the only way that I could tolerate.  ...good luck MammaS....keep us posted. I hope some other BBs respond to your post..someone who knows more than me....cooperten

MamaS....be careful...it has taken me 6 months yo taper off of 1 mg of ativan...Imo ativan can be tough...it is one of those short acting benzos..I am absolutely in no position to suggest anything. Having said that..my concern would be.. what is the plan for tapering off the ativan..a valium cross over?..  Did your physician not want to use valium to cross to from the klonopin?...I did a direct cut taper off of ativan...so I don't know how much easier it would have been with a v. cross over. There were some bumpy days at mid- taper ..the first few cuts were tolerable but the middle ( about 6-7 weeks) made scribble scrabble out of my life...for me things are improving at end taper ( leaping after the holidays)..... 2 months is nearly a c/t jump from 2mg of ativan....is your physician open to reading the Ashton Manual?.. would he agree to a more gradual taper down from the ativan....We are all different...and we do what we have to do,  but I don't think I could have done a fast taper from ativan...going slow slow slow was the only way that I could tolerate.  ...good luck MammaS....keep us posted. I hope some other BBs respond to your post..someone who knows more than me....cooperten

My Dr refused the Valium. He thinks that I can do this in two months on Ativan. But, as long as I am making progress, and not asking for monthly scripts, he will let me continue for a month or two after that. Just as long as I am getting lower in my dose. And, is willing to let me use it nightly, or prn. Crazy!!

I just need to know how to cross from Klonopin to Ativan safely. I have a at least 40 pills left of Klonopin to get me crossed over.

So, yeah. I am in deep doo doo with this.

I tapered off of Ativan and in no way could it be done in 2 months from that high of a dose.  Also, taking Ativan once a day (at bedtime) does not work because its effectiveness wears off after 5-6 hours due to the short half life.  So, people who take Ativan often have interdose wd's unless they take it evenly through the day.

So sorry you wound up on Klonopin.  My doctor gave me Ativan to taper from also and I wish it had been Valium so that I'd only have had to dose once a day instead of 4 times a day.  Maybe switch doctors?  Or, you can taper from Ativan, only I'd suggest doing it much slower and not in 2 months time.  That will hurt.

Its not an impossible situation and this can still be done, so don't lose hope. Others have gone before you. 

Check out the "Ativan taper thread" in the tapering section.  You'll get a lot of good support there.

Wishing you the best!

Cedar

I tapered off of Ativan and in no way could it be done in 2 months from that high of a dose.  Also, taking Ativan once a day (at bedtime) does not work because its effectiveness wears off after 5-6 hours due to the short half life.  So, people who take Ativan often have interdose wd's unless they take it evenly through the day.

So sorry you wound up on Klonopin.  My doctor gave me Ativan to taper from also and I wish it had been Valium so that I'd only have had to dose once a day instead of 4 times a day.  Maybe switch doctors?  Or, you can taper from Ativan, only I'd suggest doing it much slower and not in 2 months time.  That will hurt.

Its not an impossible situation and this can still be done, so don't lose hope. Others have gone before you. 

Check out the "Ativan taper thread" in the tapering section.  You'll get a lot of good support there.

Wishing you the best!

Cedar

I think that he will willing work with me, as long as I am showing progress. He doesn't want me still at the 2.0 per day in two months. And, since I have only been back on Klonopin for two weeks, this may be a little more doable. I hope!!

I think the Klonopin was actually giving me anxiety. It just made me feel horrible!! This is why he took me off of it.

The reason for a stepped-process crossover from a short acting benzo to a long acting benzo is to allow the long acting Benzo, (ie: Valium, Klonopin, Librium, for example),  to build up in the tissues.  This tissue build up is needed to allow the long half life medicines to reach their steady state.  Ativan does not work this way.  Ativan is a relatively fast acting Benzo.  It's quickly in and very quickly out of the system.  Denise, I would think that transitioning from a long acting benzo to a short half life benzo could be done abruptly, as long as the equivalencies are correct. 

However, I have never done this myself.  So, I do hope some other buddies will respond.

I tapered the shortest half-life benzo most commonly prescribed, Xanax.  Tapering a short half-life benzo is doable.  I tapered my Xanax doing one dose per day for the duration of my taper.  However, I did not suffer from interdose withdrawal.  Had I suffered from interdose withdrawal I would have broken up to multiple doses per day.  My theory is that since I only took my medicine at night for insomnia for many years,  this is what my body was accustomed to.  Good luck.

The reason for a stepped-process crossover from a short acting benzo to a long acting benzo is to allow the long acting Benzo, (ie: Valium, Klonopin, Librium, for example),  to build up in the tissues.  This tissue build up is needed to allow the long half life medicines to reach their steady state.  Ativan does not work this way.  Ativan is a relatively fast acting Benzo.  It's quickly in and very quickly out of the system.  Denise, I would think that transitioning from a long acting benzo to a short half life benzo could be done abruptly, as long as the equivalencies are correct. 

However, I have never done this myself.  So, I do hope some other buddies will respond.

I tapered the shortest half-life benzo most commonly prescribed, Xanax.  Tapering a short half-life benzo is doable.  I tapered my Xanax doing one dose per day for the duration of my taper.  However, I did not suffer from interdose withdrawal.  Had I suffered from interdose withdrawal I would have broken up to multiple doses per day.  My theory is that since I only took my medicine at night for insomnia for many years,  this is what my body was accustomed to.  Good luck.

I took my xanax at night as well. But, I c/t by accident. I would like to get the ativan to just the nightly dose. My Dr even said that he would let me continue with that. As long as it was only a small dose.

But, to clarify, as long as I am not still at the 2 mg, at the end of two months, then he will continue to work with me. I just have to show progress.

Denise, when I was on Ativan the i/d withdrawals were terrible. I would have had to take the blasted drug (it was given to me in the hospital -- that's how I got addicted/dependent on it) 4 x a day. That's why I switched over to valium. I don't understand why your dr would want you to take Ativan at night only. I can't fathom how he thinks you could make "progress" and eventually get off the drug this way.

Is there no way you can talk to him . . . show him the Ashton Manual maybe?

Of course you and he/she will decide. Just telling you what worked and didn't work for me.

All the best,

Okatz

Denise, when I was on Ativan the i/d withdrawals were terrible. I would have had to take the blasted drug (it was given to me in the hospital -- that's how I got addicted/dependent on it) 4 x a day. That's why I switched over to valium. I don't understand why your dr would want you to take Ativan at night only. I can't fathom how he thinks you could make "progress" and eventually get off the drug this way.

Is there no way you can talk to him . . . show him the Ashton Manual maybe?

Of course you and he/she will decide. Just telling you what worked and didn't work for me.

All the best,

Okatz

No, he gave me enough to start taking .50 x 4 per day. But, I do have to show some tapering progress in two months. He would like for me to get down to using a small dose nightly, or prn usage, eventually. I am not saying i am going to do that. I am saying what he said. He knows that I used xanax at night for sleep, and never increased my dose. But, I look back now and realized that I had hit i/w after about 8 months. It started with having heart palps, but I didn't realize it was from the xanax. Now, I know.

So, as long as I show good progress in two months, I think he will work with me on the rest of it.

He also put me on Atenolol and Celexa. We'll see about taking those. But, I have to admit that my depression is peaking, and if I am going to do it, it might as well be now, while I am on something.

From what I've read on BB, I don't know why your doc would want you to only take Ativan once a day (at night time).

Maybe you could just do your own taper, by dosing Ativan 3-4 times a day, but not tell him you are dosing like that.

Seems like only dosing once/day, you would have lots of interdose w/d.

Your doctor is not "benzo-wise". I would look for another one.

I know that he isn't. But, because of my insurance, the whole medical system that I am a part of will see my entire history on the computer.

I called a new Dr the other day, to make an appt, and the first question they asked was what meds I am on. So, I need to keep humoring this Dr for as long as I can, because I am stuck!

From what I've read on BB, I don't know why your doc would want you to only take Ativan once a day (at night time).

Maybe you could just do your own taper, by dosing Ativan 3-4 times a day, but not tell him you are dosing like that.

Seems like only dosing once/day, you would have lots of interdose w/d.

No, no!

He is letting me dose 4 times a day, right now. I just have to show some improvement within two months.

He is saying that once I get tapered, he is okay with me taking it nightly, or prn. Not, that I am going to. He just will not let me take it 4 times a day for more than two months.

I am going to try and have to educate him on inter dose w/d. But, he is kind of stubborn. He says that he tapers people off of this stuff all the time, and that I am his only problem child. But, then again, I did a c/t to start with.

He put me on Klonopin, but that stuff is killing me. He doesn't like Valium, so I am stuck with Ativan. I do still have a lot of klonopin left, so I am going to mix and mingle the two, until I can get off of the Klon for good.

I never really discussed my taper with my doctors until my dose was well down. I just allowed my original diagnosis to continue while I accumulated plenty of Valium for my tape and never told them how much I was actually taking. This is a do it yourself thing for most people.

I never really discussed my taper with my doctors until my dose was well down. I just allowed my original diagnosis to continue while I accumulated plenty of Valium for my tape and never told them how much I was actually taking. This is a do it yourself thing for most people.

So true about it being a do it yourself thing. The minute a doctor hears about tapering they want to screw you up with their ideas. But they are 100% okay to keep prescribing at your starting dose FOREVER. Where is the logic in that? Seriously?

I would look for a new doctor. He doesn't know what he is doing. There is no such thing as getting off benzos but still taking a night-time dose. Be very careful about adding an AD to the mix right now. It often makes people worse. If you are already struggling the way you are, adding a new medication such as Celexa is playing with fire in my opinion.

I actually didn't discuss a taper today. I just told him that the Klon was making me feel like crap. It was then his idea to put me on the daily Ativan, for a short time only. But, was okay with prn or night time use.  :idiot:

He put me on Klonopin, but that stuff is killing me. He doesn't like Valium, so I am stuck with Ativan. I do still have a lot of klonopin left, so I am going to mix and mingle the two, until I can get off of the Klon for good.

How about librium?  Is he against that?  Good tapering drug.

So true about it being a do it yourself thing. The minute a doctor hears about tapering they want to screw you up with their ideas. But they are 100% okay to keep prescribing at your starting dose FOREVER. Where is the logic in that? Seriously?

No kidding!!

My Dr told me today that it was against the law for him to put me on a certain med, like Valium, strictly for tapering. Because he is not an addictionologist. But, even if I went to one of those, i am betting that they wouldn't be any more knowledgable.

How about librium?  Is he against that?  Good tapering drug.

See the post I wrote before this one. He will give me a short time on daily ativan, but he is not allowed to put me on one strictly for tapering.

All very confusing!!  :idiot:

I would look for a new doctor. He doesn't know what he is doing. There is no such thing as getting off benzos but still taking a night-time dose. Be very careful about adding an AD to the mix right now. It often makes people worse. If you are already struggling the way you are, adding a new medication such as Celexa is playing with fire in my opinion.

Why? I have seen several people say that it helped them during w/d.

And, I can't look for a new Dr. The insurance I have locks me into a certain medical system, and all of the computers are linked. So, any new Dr can see everything my Dr writes.

Seriously, I'd shop for a new doc. You need someone who will understand and prescribe what you need.  They are out there.

Good luck!  :)

I really am out of luck on that.

But, maybe the good thing is that I was reinstated on Klon for only two weeks, so I am going to use that to get crossed over. That way, I will have extra by the time I have to have my script renewed. I am still working on how I am going to do this.

But, I think that if I can have myself down to 1 mg in two months, then he will work with me on the rest. I hope!

And, I can't look for a new Dr. The insurance I have locks me into a certain medical system, and all of the computers are linked. So, any new Dr can see everything my Dr writes.

Your doc put you on klonopin two weeks ago to 'stabilize' you and it made things worse. Now he has switched you to a short acting benzo that is hard to get off. On top of that he wants to add an AD to the mix. He thinks you can taper off Ativan but still take a night time dose :idiot:

It doesn't matter when you take it, you would still be on benzos. You are all over the place with your meds and it's getting more confusing as time goes on. If you start on an AD and get worse, you won't know if that is causing it or if a benzo is. Yes, some people say an AD helped in withdrawal but I have read many others say it made things worse, and depending on the one you take it can increase anxiety. It will not heal your GABA receptors that's for sure.

Other docs can see your history but that doesn't mean their approach will be the same. Also, I would think it is standard practice to ask what meds a person is taking when they are looking for a new doctor.

I'm just trying to help you, but it seems like you have your mind made up. Don't know what else to say except good luck.

Your doc put you on klonopin two weeks ago to 'stabilize' you and it made things worse. Now he has switched you to a short acting benzo that is hard to get off. On top of that he wants to add an AD to the mix. He thinks you can taper off Ativan but still take a night time dose :idiot:

It doesn't matter when you take it, you would still be on benzos. You are all over the place with your meds and it's getting more confusing as time goes on. If you start on an AD and get worse, you won't know if that is causing it or if a benzo is. Yes, some people say an AD helped in withdrawal but I have read many others say it made things worse, and depending on the one you take it can increase anxiety. It will not heal your GABA receptors that's for sure.

Other docs can see your history but that doesn't mean their approach will be the same. Also, I would think it is standard practice to ask what meds a person is taking when they are looking for a new doctor.

I'm just trying to help you, but it seems like you have your mind made up. Don't know what else to say except good luck.

I never said that I would continue to take it as a night time dose. I was just saying what my Dr said. But, now that I think about it, that will actually buy me some extra time to get my taper finished, if he thinks I am using it nightly, and will continue to prescribe it to me.

I c/t'd my xanax by accident. My Dr continually tried to put me on Klonopin, but I kept refusing, until my health deteriorated rapidly after a bout of bronchitis. I have lost over 40 lbs, and was refused the dental work i seriously need, and another surgery I needed, due to my current health. So, I finally gave in and took the Klomopin. Hoping it would help stabilize my crazy system, so I could eat again.

The Klonopin was causing me some massive head pressure. So, I just couldn't take it. Plus all of the horror stories about muscle and nerve issues didn't help. I was hoping my Dr would put me on Valium to taper later, but that backfired. He hates Valium. My Dr also doesn't like his pt's on a massive daily dose of Ativan. So, he wants me down to small nightly doses, or to be used as prn. I think he forgot about my surgeries, and I will remind him of this when I see him next.

I don't expect the Celexa to heal my gaba receptors. But, at least maybe help with my depression. I am also hypothyroid (even before benzo's) so that is also adding to my depression.

When I have called other Dr's to try and switch, the first question asked is what meds you are on. And, then you are informed that the Dr will refuse to prescribe certain scripts. So, I gave up. Also, I live in a small town, and currently have to rely on my mother to take me to my Dr appts. I still don't drive yet.

So, I really am kind of limited on my choices at the moment, and trying to do the best that I can.

I am sorry if my story doesn't make sense to anyone. Believe me, it doesn't make much sense to me. I just feel like I keep running out of choices.