Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Doctor's Advice

[So...]

I went to my Neurologist today and he told me that my anxiety and panic attacks are not from the Benzos.  He said that Benzo withdrawal does not last this long and should be out of your system in a couple of weeks.  He told me not to believe what I read online.  So am I to believe now that all of these symptoms I am having is not related to the Benzos and I have something wrong with me?  So all of the phobias, anxiety and panic attacks are not from the Benzos?  I am very upset right now and I am freaking out.  If this is the way I am going to be for the rest of my life I will not be able to live like this.  Please give me your thoughts.  Thank you!   

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [So...]

• [In...]

• [er...]

• [Fo...]

I went to my Neurologist today and he told me that my anxiety and panic attacks are not from the Benzos.  He said that Benzo withdrawal does not last this long and should be out of your system in a couple of weeks.  He told me not to believe what I read online.  So am I to believe now that all of these symptoms I am having is not related to the Benzos and I have something wrong with me?  I am very upset right now and I am freaking out.  If this is the way I am going to be for the rest of my life I will not be able to live like this.  Please give me your thoughts.  Thank you! 

Hi, I'm sorry this upset you - and I know it IS upsetting to hear a doctor say this.  Unfortunately, many if not most doctors are uninformed about benzo withdrawal.  Doctors don't know everything, after all, and they are not gods.

You'll heal in time - but you've been benzo-free for less than two months.  It DOES take more time than that for many of us to heal, no matter what anyone says.  You'll be fine, but time is the healer.

:smitten:

I think the medical profession has no idea what to do with those of us who are sensitive to benzos and take long periods of withdrawal to heal. It is easier to say it is our anxiety or other underlying condition and move on to the next patient.

I did not feel this way at all until the day I stopped taking klonopin as prescribed. It cannot be a coincidence. I will let time pass and heal, regardless of what any doctors do or say.

Megan you say I have been off of the Benzo's for two months.  I stopped the Valium in May.  Took rescue doses of Xanax  on and off for 3 weeks and stopped in Sept.  So does my withdrawal start all over again?  I am very upset by what was said to me today.

Megan you say I have been off of the Benzo's for two months.  I stopped the Valium in May.  Took rescue doses of Xanax  on and off for 3 weeks and stopped in Sept.  So does my withdrawal start all over again?  I am very upset by what was said to me today.

I don't know if your withdrawal "started over again," but keep in mind that taking a "rescue dose" means taking a benzo once or twice - not for three weeks.  And, unfortunately, with benzos one can become dependent even if they don't take benzos every day.  In any event, your doctor needs to do more research on the subject.

That is ironic, because I went to a psychiatrist today and basically he said the same thing. But, he also said I should take SSRI's, that withdrawal does not last longer then a few weeks, his diagnosis was that I was depressed and needed an antideppresant, then he went on about how he has high blood pressure and he needs to take medicine for that. Anyway..he told me to stop reading about benzo withdrawal and to let psychiatrist do their jobs and to read about business since it is what I am studying. I mentioned GABA etc..he was not interested in what I was saying and kept on telling me it  Can't last four months. But, I know I can't breathe, headaches, thoughts are messed up...etc..what does it take to have someone confirm that this is normal and to be looked after??? This is the second psychiatrist I seen.. I am fed up..... :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

So what are we suppose to do?  Did you have these symptoms before you took the Benzo's?  I don't know what to do.  Am I going crazy or is this Benzo withdrawal?  I did not take the Xanax for 3 weeks straight.  I took them on and off.  There is no Doctor that I can talk to.  They all say it is not the Benzos.  Who am I to believe?

Chris - I know that confirmation would be lovely, but many of us aren't going to get it anywhere but here.

If you have seen your physician and ruled out other causes then we are left searching for other doctors, or sticking with Benzo Buddies for support. Even if you found a supportive doctor or psychiatrist there is nothing they can do to speed up the healing unfortunately. I've given up long ago trying to find anyone in the medical community to assist or acknowledge me. Thank goodness for BB. Reading all the stories of everyone feeling the same way is more reassuring than anything any doctor or even my family could provide. Hope you are feeling better soon and are getting some support from family.

So what are we suppose to do?  Did you have these symptoms before you took the Benzo's?  I don't know what to do.  Am I going crazy or is this Benzo withdrawal?  I did not take the Xanax for 3 weeks straight.  I took them on and off.  There is no Doctor that I can talk to.  They all say it is not the Benzos.  Who am I to believe?

Nobody can tell you for sure about any of this. One thing that is fairly certain is you'll be feeling better at some point in the future. Might be 3, 6, 9, 12, 18, 24 months. Nobody knows, we all are different. Not taking another benzo and letting time pass is the only answer. We all heal, some faster some slower. In the meantime we cope with symptoms the best we can, watch them rise and fall. Laugh and cry together. Then we are all healed and a new group comes along behind us, and we will reassure them the best we can with our success stories.

No I did not have these symptoms prior. I was traveling, going to college, driving , etc...but, I did have a little anxiety after a night out drinking. I was sensitive to alchohol and when I was not drinking I never had anxiety. But, I know that the way I feel is from quitting Xanax, the first few weeks were horrible and it did not go away completely. I am hoping for a breakthrough at 6 months, but I am contemplating SSRI's, I guess getting all the help possible might help me. These doctors who do not acknowledge what I am going through only make things worse since I am questioning my own sanity after I leave their office. But, a deep breath and I remind myself it's still withdrawal.

Innadaze-Do you think this is from Benzos or are we all losing it?  Why can't any doctor help us or give us answers?

I'm certain my problems started a week or two after being prescribed benzos. Everything got even worse the day I stopped taking them 6 months later. There has not been enough research, so doctors have nothing for you or me. I felt crazy and on the verge of death for 3-4 months. Now it is slowly getting better. It will for you also.  :smitten:

But, I know that the way I feel is from quitting Xanax, the first few weeks were horrible and it did not go away completely. I am questioning my own sanity after I leave their office. But, a deep breath and I remind myself it's still withdrawal.

Don't question your sanity. I feel loony as hell today, but I know it is the w/d and will go away someday. It tests your faith in the unknown. There is no way everybody here is going insane when we have benzos as the single thing linking us to these symptoms. Nobody felt this insanity before they started benzos whether during tolerance, taper, or after jumping. Taken for anxiety, sleep disorders, stomach pains, etc........ yet all with nearly the same set of symptoms.

Innadaze,

I know that doctors cannot do a thing for me. But, It would be nice to have some backup just in case things don't go well, who knows if maybe things turn worse or it does not go away soon, I would like to have options open if I choose to take a different turn. Also, the main reason I went is to have a medical letter for school in case I wanted to attend, there could of been some help if I miss classes and to reassure my family I will get well. They are running out of patience and expect me to attend college next semester. I think they are understanding and they wonth force me. But, I understand what your saying. Nobody can do anything for us.

Innadaze,

I know that doctors cannot do a thing for me. But, It would be nice to have some backup just in case things don't go well, who knows if maybe things turn worse or it does not go away soon, I would like to have options open if I choose to take a different turn. Also, the main reason I went is to have a medical letter for school in case I wanted to attend, there could of been some help if I miss classes and to reassure my family I will get well. They are running out of patience and expect me to attend college next semester. I think they are understanding and they wonth force me. But, I understand what your saying. Nobody can do anything for us.

Oh yes, if you need a letter for school absences I can totally understand.

As someone who is now sensitive to everything I have no other options. If you are considering SSRI or other psych drugs they can help with milder anxiety. From what I have read here on Benzo Buddies from others that have tried, there are no drugs that can cover up the withdrawal symptoms. There are some that can take the edge off, I'm sure others will have ideas if there comes a time you are considering that.

Best would for you to be feeling much better in the coming months and be done with this whole mess. Take care!  :thumbsup:

Out of all the doctors and psychiatrists I have talked to over the past few years, only one knew about protracted withdrawal. Everyone else said it should only last two weeks. The one shrink who did know about it seemed relatively young. Perhaps her med school education was more updated. The older doctors treated me like a malingerer. It's too bad a condition so severe is underlooked.

Innadaze you say you felt crazy and on the verge of death for 3-4 months.  Was the months while you were taking the Benzos?

While taking the benzos I felt bad, couldn't sleep, couldn't think.

I felt the worst the first 3-4 months off the benzos. Ridiculously bad. Could have never imagined feeling so poorly. Now I rarely feel that bad. Most of the time things are unpleasant and quite difficult, which is a big improvement. I can live with that for now, but still cannot live "normally" yet. Cannot exercise or work a 40 hour a week job.

Innadaze...I am having extreme anxiety that is worse during the day time.  The mornings are horrible.  Panic attacks and extreme phobias that I never had before.  I am afraid to drive, I am afraid of everything.  Are you or did you experience the same symptoms?  Thanks for answering me.  I appreciate it.

Innadaze...I am having extreme anxiety that is worse during the day time.  The mornings are horrible.  Panic attacks and extreme phobias that I never had before.  I am afraid to drive, I am afraid of everything.  Are you or did you experience the same symptoms?  Thanks for answering me.  I appreciate it.

Yes, myself and many other here have experienced and still have these symptoms. The first 3-4 months I had anxiety pretty much all day every day. I was very, very afraid. Driving was terrifying, or some days I just could not drive for the safety of myself and others. For days and weeks on end I was afraid it felt like I would die any minute. All of that has settled down and I can kind of relax sometimes. My brain still does not think well, and I feel kind of lost but it is better than before feeling terror and anxiety all day. It will go away for you in time Sonria!

My mind races all day long.  I constantly think about things.  I don't want to go out of the house.  It is awful.  Is this normal?  Are you still afraid?  When did it get better?

I start feeling sick after taking Klonopin for 1 week I do not know why I did not stop and because I did not know what Benzos were.  Now after taking Klonopin for less than 3 weeks I am going through Hell. Before I was not like this. Insurance paid $25000 worth of medical bills for all tests to be negative.  I had to pay $800 out of pocket for Co-Pays.  During this time I saw my doctor 10 times and went to ER 7 times.  I even donated blood thinking it was blood issue but it was not did not feel any better. 

what a waste of time.  I have spoken to 8 doctors tell me that my symptoms are not Benzo WDs.  I am in the same boat as you but I trust the people here more than I trust doctors.  If you keep going to them they going to ruin your future and give you Psycho label and make a never ending file out of it.  Becarefull what you tell these docs and stay away from ER because all they do will give you more Benzos. 

USA312....what are your symptoms? I know I went to the ER and they did give me more Benzos!  Did you have any symptoms before the Benzos were given?