Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

This is a good sign, no? Gradual improvement over time after updose.

[78...]

[78...]

Hey guys,

Is this par for the course?

After having jackrabbited my dose around for about a month and a half (from 8-10, 10-9.5, back to 10mg), I have been back up to my full dose of 10mg for 3 weeks now.

The symptoms I had which were at 100% lets say were:

body jerking

severe paranoia/mood swings

severe anxiety

suicidal thoughts

blurred vision

extreme exhaustion

chemical/food sensitivity

severe GI pain

derealization

inability to speak

muscle stiffness/pain in legs

dry mouth

... is it normal to have an increase in symptoms after an updose that was meant to relieve a large cut? I am seeing improvement over these three weeks, and my symptoms are lessening, yet by anyways standards are still crippling and overwhelming.

Why would I feel so much worse after an updose; looking back, I should have just stuck with my original cut of 10% a few months ago.

Anyone else have an experience like this? It's taken every fiber of my being to stay alive and not give into despair.

Thanks, and any experiences on this would be appreciated.

have you read the Ashton Manual?

I think this is all addressed in it.....seems like I remember her saying that jacking around with your dose and updosing will soon cause "updosing" to fail to work for you....

google the Ashton Manual.

so ya, it can be "normal" to not feel much better at all after updosing, which is why you would want to plan out a taper scheduele and stick with it....and avoid updosing and rescue doses..

according to the AM

Yes , it' seems to be the way it goes when people updose. U must feel so miserable. To get off these drugs u have to have a plan..... And stick to it.

10% may be too bigger cut. Maybe 5% ? U have to do some homework. As benzy said ...the Ashton Manuel can give some insight. And reading the posts on BBs .

All the best .. Hugs to u Pinkee

[78...]

Thanks guys. Every day has been a living hell that's for sure.

I have a plan that I'm going to stick to religiously... I am just waiting for a period of greater stabilization ( I pray ).

It's only been 3 weeks so I'm thinking things will get better, but it's so tough now I don't know how I get through each day. :(

Once I do start cutting, I plan on doing 2% cuts and sticking to it... I just need to reach some period of stability first... and what's the most tough to deal with are these drops in blood sugar or hunger strikes or w/e they are. I can't keep on weight.

I eat super healthy, vegan with lots of veggies, avocados, coconut oil, nutritional yeast, etc... etc... and I'm eating roughly 3k calores a day, but am always hungry and weak. It's like I can't go anywhere without food, and I'm sensitive to almost everything.... didn't have it like this until after my dose got messed around with.

Ugh, pray for me guys. This is the third circle of hell. I just hope it gets better or I'm not going to know what to do.

PS: Let's say another month or two and things are the same? No improvement. What the heck do I do at that point? Just start cutting the 2%?

I once made a big dosing error and cut way too much. I then immediately went back and did one up dose that one time within days of the error. The relief was immediate. I held for a few weeks, then made smaller more cautious cuts for a while.

It is generally, however not recommended to go up and down repeatedly. It confuses the brain and can derail your taper. Ashton does not recommend up dosing. Now that you have done this, IMO I would hold for a bit where you are at, and then proceed to move forward with initial smaller cuts, but try not to over hold them. You need to find a taper plan that avoids overt withdrawal symptoms, but which still keeps you moving forward. When you encounter problems, it is generally recommended to hold a bit longer, and then evaluate if your cuts have been too big or too fast.

Be aware that sometimes holding too long can cause you to reach tolerance with an attendant increase in withdrawal symptoms. In this case what is required is to move forward carefully, not to up dose.  Also be aware that not all tapers can be 100% symptom free. Sometimes the best that can be achieved is the lowest amount or intensity of withdrawal symptoms for your particular case,  but still some symptoms.

My taper has been very uncomfortable. I am one of those who can never achieve a symptom-free state while tapering no matter how small the cuts because I have a paradoxical reaction to benzos. If I had waited to be symptom free, I would still be on the same dose as I was on when I started my taper. The best I can achieve  is to try and keep my symptoms outside of the absolute intolerable range. So I proceed with my cuts within the Ashton guidelines and try to keep them as manageable as possible. The lower I go, the more many symptoms have eased up for me (replaced by others of course).

You need to find a taper rate that allows you to have the least amount of symptoms as is possible for you, but which keeps you moving as steadily as possible in a forward direction. Just be careful with your next few cuts in terms of their size, try not to hold too long, and realize that not all tapers are symptom free. This conservative initial approach should help you avoid getting into another up dosing loop, which is something to try and avoid.

Best wishes on your taper.