Important Survey - Please Participate ×

I keep biting my tongue

[Pi...]

I fall asleep and then I wake because I have bitten my tongue. Hard enough for it to bleed! It is so sore.

When I was in tolerance , I bit it so hard that I took a piece out of it. Now I have started again. I have TMJ and I think it might have something to do with it. I am getting electric shocks too. Sometimes when I jerk I bite my tongue at the same time.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can put on my poor tongue. Or should I just leave it?

I know this is a bizarre symptom. I don't think I've seen this one on here...?

Thanks all of u .    Hugs. Pinkee

I have a dental splint that attaches top teeth to lower teeth in one piece. Impossible to bite tongue.  It is the only thing I can think of to prevent it, but it has to be made and is usually made for sleep apnea. Actually, a mold it yourself bite splint from the pharmacy would work too even though it justs goes on the lower teeth. With one set of teeth out of service you may not be able to bite your tongue nearly as badly. They're not that expensive either.

I didn't know u can get a  mould yourself splint. I wonder if u can get them in Australia ? I had a splint made , actually I've had 2 made. The last one my dog chewed. Would u believe it! I was so upset about it. That splint cost me a lot of money.probably more than the dog........! Lol I hadn't thought of that...? Der.....

Thanks Newmoon .

I noticed that even sitting here my tongue rubs up against my teeth, and because it is sore from repeated biting, it is irritating . Funny how much we take for granted.

Hugs Pinkee

pinkee,

i've bitten my tongue so many times when my brain does this thing i call "sneezing" that's right, my brain sneezes. it's almost kinda like a seizure. everything in my whole body and brain feels like a sneeze and then i bite my tongue. it's bizarre!

have you ever had this? it's like the brain takes a time out for a sec. it's like "lights out" for the brain for a sec/ it's scary. i have a little sore on the tip of my tongue that i play with all the time because of it. it usually happens right before i go to sleep when i am laying in bed.

Thx for posting guys. Good to have u back Benzy! Yes, I do grind my teeth. Annoying. I've done that since I was a little person.

Pretty , that sounds sort of like a misfire.... ? I don't think I can say it feels like that. It's more like a charge of electricity has gone thru me. It happens when I've been asleep for a while , or , yes, when I'm dropping off, or it can happen out of the blue when I am awake.

If I didn't know what I have learnt here on BBs, I would be more anxious . But I think it is from benzo w/ds. Or it could be from tapering Effexor...? Better stop soon. I might have a short tongue if I keep going!  Lol ole stumpy tongue!

Hugs.      Pinkee

I had the same issues coming off Effexor and klonopin. Brain 'sneezing' is similar..they are symptoms of seizure. They are many types..some you would never realize during sleep.(seizures cause amnesia so you may not even remember a seizure at night)

-------Your seizure thresh hold has gotten too low. Ask a doctor asap or risk a grand-Mal. ------

Tapering Effexor out of the blue my jaw would uncontrollably stap shut and close 3-6 times in a row while my head started to twist. It was precursor to a grand-mal for me.

While Pretty's issue may be of neurological origin, it does not necessarily follow that for her she is having a seizure or is courting a grand mal. I think Pretty might want to get this checked out, because, true enough, there are many types of seizure disorder. However, looking at Pretty's signature she does not have a pre-existing seizure disorder and is not currently in a medication situation that would indicate that a grand mal is in her near future. She has also never had a seizure even while tapering.

Caution is always warranted, I agree. But I feel that caution is also warranted when trying to diagnose a situation over the Internet without a patient's complete chart and medical history at one's disposal. What applies to one's own personal experience cannot necessarily accurately be generalized to others, especially when it comes to the tremendously wide and varied symptom complexes that arise out of benzo withdrawal and recovery. In my humble medical opinion, I do believe it would be possibly a good idea for Pretty to have this investigated as a precautionary measure, part of which would ideally entail to trying and capturing this episode on EEG as it is occurring. However, there is far too little definitive current patient historical information and personal medical information available to the casual reader to confidently suggest that Pretty is on the verge of a grand mal seizure.

That sounds just awful well done. Sounds like something out of a horror movie! Did u have a grand mal or did they catch it first?

U crack me up benzy!

Newmoon  it always amazes me , the amount of information u can retain!

Gary, for some reason I keep typing tounge too. Spell check is my friend!

I didn't bite my tongue last night once! Maybe I scared it away by posting!   

Hope so.

Hi Pinkee,

I have some nights where I am almost asleep and all of a sudden my jaw snaps and sometimes I end up biting my tongue too.  It does not happen often but it's no fun.  Since I know I have been clenching my jaw during withdrawal and sometimes wake up with my jaw sore - I went and got fitted for a bite guard during my last dentist appt.  I am hoping this will end the problem with clenching and the jaw snaps at bed time.

I don't think this means I am at risk for a seizure - it is just an involuntary spasm and honestly, I did experience this on a much smaller scale even before I took my first benzo pill in May.

I hope your tongue feels better.  Did you try some orajel?

Thanks eliz for your answer. I am going to look into a mouth splint too. My tongue isn't as sore today. I haven't bitten it for a while so it's healing. Good idea about the oragel..  Hugs Pinkee.

Pinkee,

I did not write in this thread because I have never had a problem with my tongue.

But I do have a question: Do any of you have awful problems with canker sores?

I've gotten them from time to time, all my life, but lately they have been awful. I have one on the inside of my bottom lip, and every time it stars to heal, I nearly bit it off, accidentally, when eating.

I had the same issues coming off Effexor and klonopin. Brain 'sneezing' is similar..they are symptoms of seizure. They are many types..some you would never realize during sleep.(seizures cause amnesia so you may not even remember a seizure at night)

-------Your seizure thresh hold has gotten too low. Ask a doctor asap or risk a grand-Mal. ------

it does feel like a mini seizure. everything goes pretty blank for not even a milli-second. i don't have the kind of doctor who would be able to check this out for me. i have a neurologist who absolutely will not hear any of my benzo symptoms. even though he diagnosis me with MS, i am positive this "brain sneezing' is benzo related. it's only happened 3 times in the last 19 months since the c/t. i've been on benzo's for over 25 years, i don't doubt that something like this could occur while i am healing from this.

yes i did have one seizure when i was on 200mg valium, 20 mg klonopin & 30 tabs opiates when all of that was taking away from me one day. i've got a pretty amazing brain that keeps fighting.

I do believe it would be possibly a good idea for Pretty to have this investigated as a precautionary measure, part of which would ideally entail to trying and capturing this episode on EEG as it is occurring.

newmoon,

how would i possibly be able to have them check for this on EEG as it is occuring? it's only happened 3 times. it may never happen again. now if i were having this all the time, that would be a different story. don't you think? who would possibly check this out for me? the neurologist who can't listen to any benzo withdrawals? i don't have anyone right now and what would they do for it? give me drugs, or possibly a benzo like klonpin. yes it's very scary when it happens. if it does happen again i guess i will go to the neurologist who doesn't want to listen to 'benzo symptoms' and tell him that it could possibly be from MS but i doubt that it is. i hope it doesn't happen again.

thanks for letting me know though, i appreciate it!

pretty

Hi Gaer,

I have been plagued with cancer sores since I entered puberty.  For this reason I tend to shy away from any food that could abrade the inside of my mouth like chips or hard candy. 

Oddly enough, they slowed down quite a bit after I had my daughter and did not return until I started going through menopause.  I think in my case hormone fluctuations set them off because sometimes if I bite the inside of my mouth I get them and sometimes I don't.

They suck though because they take a while to heal and they are painful.  The only thing that ever worked for me if they were in a vulnerable place that could be re-injured is a product I found at Walgreens.  I cannot remember the name of it but it is a seal that you apply that stays on the sore for several hours before you need to re-apply it.  You dry off the sore area, apply this stuff in a paste and let it dry before closing your mouth.

Try looking for it in your local drug store or asking the pharmacist there to help you find it on the counter.

eliz,

if you ever remember the name of what you use to help yur canker sores, that would be great. i get one in the same place in my mouth a lot. i think it's from the orange juice i drink and probably around period time.

you guys, now i am really scared that i could have a seizure problem with this "brain squeezing" thing and who would i see about that? if my regular neurologist doesn't want to hear about my 'benzo symptoms'?

Gaer, I don't know what a canker sore is, but it get ulcers on my inside lips. I bit my bottom lip yesterday and ouch I tell u what ouch!!! Not something I enjoy doing I can tell u. What's worse tongue or lips or gums? Sorry u have them though Gary.

Pretty, u poor dear pet! I bet it makes u anxious. Maybe u could go along with the ms , I mean pretend. That way they might be inclined to check things out for u.

Eliz, I have used something like that on my gums once . I can't think of the name either. But it was good if u could get the area dry enough to put it on. 

What a bunch of crocks we are........lol

While Pretty's issue may be of neurological origin, it does not necessarily follow that for her she is having a seizure or is courting a grand mal. I think Pretty might want to get this checked out, because, true enough, there are many types of seizure disorder. However, looking at Pretty's signature she does not have a pre-existing seizure disorder and is not currently in a medication situation that would indicate that a grand mal is in her near future. She has also never had a seizure even while tapering.

i just re-read this!

newmoon, i did have one seizure in 1994 coming off that large amount of benzo's and opiates. so i do have one seizure in my past. anyway, it hasn't happened for awhile. like i said, it only happened 3 times since i cold turkey'd during these last 20 months.

The canker treatment is called Canker Cover and is made by Quantum.  If you cannot find it in your local drug store I think they sell it on Amazon.

Pretty can you go to another neurologist if you are worried and just not tell them about benzo use and just see what they have to say about your symptoms?

thanks about the Canker Cover--just added it to my Amazon cart.

i thought about this seizure business and guess what? i couldn't be bothered. if i die having a seizure, at least i am off benzo's. i should have had a full on seizure this time around too but somehow i didn't. so if i have brain sneeze's then that's just how it has to be. i don't think any doctor can do anything for me except put me on some kind of medication. and if i go from this. i sure hope it's fast and peaceful. :)

i just can be fearful about so many things anymore. my brain is so revved up still, i can't believe it! i really feel like i blew out a portion of my brain and i just hope it heals. i am still alive. i can still write, type, talk and think. so hopefully those 3 brain sneeze's will be all that occurs. i can't even get out of the house to go get my coconut waters that i love so much let alone find a new doctor, you know?

Yes, I get it pretty! I really do. When your flat out having a shower.... How are u going to find a doc?

I really hope u feel better pretty...hugs        Pinkee

Yes, I get it pretty! I really do. When your flat out having a shower.... How are u going to find a doc?

I really hope u feel better pretty...hugs        Pinkee

pinkee,

what do you mean 'when your flat out having a shower?" no, i'm not going to find a Doc for this right now so lets hope i don't have anymore of the brain sneezes. just been reading your blog and sending you hugs! 'cause you always send hughs so i'm sending hugs back to you :smitten:

Pinkee,

I have been biting my tongue for a few months now. I thought that it was related to a dental issue but now I wonder. It does not make my tongue bleed but I do it enough that it bugs the living daylights out of me. It seems that I am being introduced to new stuff that I would never have linked to w/d. :brickwall: :brickwall: