Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Chest pains, please help!!!

[Ge...]

Hi guys!

How do you deal with chest pains. Mine got so severe lately that i go to ER every week. Today i went to ER and sat there for 2 hours because of chest pains. Now i came home and still pains. This is driving me crazy. My cardiologist already ran out of tests. He says my heart is absolutely healthy, but each time i feel chest pain I think its my heart. Immediately after i feel pain, palpitations follow and increase of BP and heart rate. I cant control myself.

These pains were never as often or as sever before. Today is my 9th week off. I think i probably need to go on some antidepressants. 

Any advise from people how to deal with them?

Also, when you feel those pains, does it happen only during a panic attack for you. Mine come and go thruout the day. But when severe sharp one hits thats when panic attack follows. So scary. My question is, could it still be anxiety pains if even after panic attack is over the pain still comes and goes. It feels like an electrical shock, sharp, shooting pain. The panic attack is over but the pain is still shooting time from time. Is this normal.

Please help.

Thanks all.

It is good that you checked with your cardiologist. Once you run out hearrt attack or other heart deseas you are OK. No anti depressive will help you out of this. Taking ADs for this will only complicate your life more. Try to be calm and observe when it happens. Then try to understand why. Heart palpitations can be caused by adrenaline surges... Or a Lot of other thinks.

Before trying to find a pill to fix it try to understand what is going on.

Good luck

Hi Gemma,

I had chest pains fairly often, which I eventually figured out were actually the muscles of my ribcage spasming.  Others here have reported this.  Benzos are muscle relaxants and when they're discontinued muscles anywhere in the body can be tight, painful, etc.

Since you've been thoroughly checked out and your heart is fine, it's likely the palpitations, increased heart rate/blood pressure are the result of your anxiety, which can cause all these symptoms.  If it's an ongoing problem for you, you might consider asking your doctor about a low-dose beta blocker, which can effectively slow the heart rate and block the physical symptoms of anxiety.

As you heal these disturbing symptoms will go away, and you're still in acute withdrawal at this point.

:smitten:

Hi thanks for reply. The problem is the pains sometimes are so severe it doesn't feel like a muscle pain. I constantly feel some kind of uncomforted in my chest area. But what about those shooting, electrical shock pains. It just feels like someone stick a knife into my sternum and crashed it. Its quick pain, but can come one after another. Today 3 in a row came. I was driving with my husband and out of nowhere it came. I screamed to my husband turn around and take me to ER. He said calm down its panic attack. Then i got scared that i will not make it to ER and told him to call 911 to meet us on a way to hospital. The Firefighter car came took my BP and it was like 145/70, my normal is 105/55. But I immediately calmed down. We didn't wait for ambulance, my husband said he will take me to ER. I went to ER and just sat there for 2 hours, while my husband went shopping.  I didn't check in to ER, just sat in waiting room. All nurses already know me there, because I go there every week lately. I didn't want to check in because they will drawl blood again and I was just there for chest pains 3 days ago, although that was a different pain, more like pressure in my chest. But this electric shock pain, happened before and I was even once admitted to hospital for 2 days, because they wanted to make sure its nothing serious, but all tests were normal, even cardiac ct scan.

I just don't know how to calm down when i have this pain and I am so tired of going to ER and each time they they draw blood. In the past month I already had like 40 tubes of blood drawn for all different tests and each visit to ER is like 5 tubes.

Please help guys. I feel so hopeless. I am able to deal with lightheadness, hard to breath and all other symptoms, but this one is my scariest one. I think because my grandpa died suddenly of heart attack and EMTs couldn't save him. I am scared if something they will not save me and thats why I keep on running to ER each time.

Please share how you dealt with this fear. I even started calcium chanel blocker because thought maybe I have microvascular angina, but today is second day and pain should subside if its that, so i guess its not.

Most likely this is nerve or muscle pain and has nothing to do with your heart. If you can get that out of your mind you will be fine. Just consider it pain in your chest area. Would you be freaking out if it was in your feet? You don't need an A/D. I often find that I have corresponding pain in my back when I have pain in the chest area. Have someone give you a massage so that you can become familiar and comfortable with these sensations and areas of pain.

So you think the pain can be nerve even if i was just sitting still without moving in the card and it just came out of nowhere. I even had a chest mri done for the chest pains. They checked my sternum and ribs and found no defects and no inflamations.

Do you think this could be still anxiety withdrawal or anxiety related. I am so scared.

I appologize that I keep posting about these stupid chest pains, but I am just trying to find support, because doctors dont know what it is.

It's nerve & pain. You don't have to be doing anything for it to happen and when you are so tense it'll make that pain. I know it's hard not worrying about it because you would love to, but try not to as best you can. Sorry you are dealing with these thoughts and fears, I know its hard.

I have had fibromyalgia for decades. I have nerve and muscle pain on a daily basis. You can be doing nothing and have it happen. It does to me every day! No test will show it. You are safe.  :smitten:

Like any other pain in my body, it changes all the time. Tight, sore, stiff, sharp, tender to the touch. Mine is mostly muscle and I would suspect that yours is mostly nerve.

I get the same thing . Also diagnosed with fibromyalgia . I can be doing nothing, feeling not stressed in particular, and Bam...I get the pain. It's so bad I have to lay down sometimes. I just try to get as comfortable as I can. It passes.      All the best to u Gemma !    Hugs Pinkee