Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Local anesthesia for dental appointment

[dr...]

Anyone recommend the best anesthesia to use for a wisdom tooth extraction? I've heard anything with epinephrine can rev up symptoms. Is carbocaine the best way to go?

Maybe someone with some medical background will chime in. Although we can only say what was used with us and what worked, as we are not doctors. I had a recent filing done with novacaine. It was OK. Just be sure to ask the dentist not to use anything with epi in it. I think the local a's for dental procedures are pretty much the same. But as I said, maybe someone with a medical background will chime in.

Okatz

Since I've been off the benzo's I've had 5 dental appointments where they froze me up with novacaine and there was NO revving up of my w/d symptoms.  Just the usual dentist anxieties. 

My dentist could tell I was really tense and asked me if it was really that bad.  I told him I'm a little wimpy when it comes to getting dental procedures, mainly the needle in my gums to freeze me up.  He told me, 9 out of 10 people hate it as well.