Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Drowsiness

[So...]

I am currently in the hospital, after collapsing in my Dr's office yesterday. They have me on the neurological floor.

They have put me on .50 Klonopin x2 day. Could someone please tell me when the terrible sedative effects will let up. This effect may be great for some, but for me it is not a good thing since I am having a hard time walking.

Do the sleepy effects ever go away, so that you can function? And, when I crossover to valium, will the sedative effects also where off?

Thanks BB friends!

Denise  :smitten:

oh my god denise, i am shocked.

i can't give you an answer to your questions love, because i went C/T but just

wanted  to let you know, i am thinking of you and pray that you will feel better soon.

love from claudia :smitten::(

wanted  to let you know, i am thinking of you and pray that you will feel better soon.

Thanks Claudia,

They have ran every test to see why my legs aren't working well. But, I think it is from the massive weight and muscle loss.

I will hopefully go home today.

Will keep everyone updated.

But, my main question is did their benzo that they took daily, finally stop making them drowsy, so that they could function during the day?

Yes, you will get used to the sedative effects of Valium (and Klonopin) after a week or two. I was on Xanax for two years before crossing over to Valium in 1999. I can still remember how woozy I felt the first time I took a 10 mg. Valium. It was like I was almost high or something. I definitely remember being sooooooo relaxed.

My body and brain got used to it after about a week or two. It was still sedating, but I'd learned to feel that that was "normal" and that is part of why getting off Valium has been so hard for me over the years. My brain and body were used to being so relaxed for the 13+ years I was on Valium. Now, a week shy of hitting six months off, I just feel tense and anxious all the time. Eventually I'll figure out that this is my new "normal," but my brain still seems to want that sedating effect that Valium gave me.

So, hang in there. You'll get used to it. It takes a week or two, also, for the Valium to build up in the bloodstream, so by early December you should be doing OK. Do you plan to taper off the Valium once you get stabilized?

Hang in there. You'll be fine.

Yes, you will get used to the sedative effects of Valium (and Klonopin) after a week or two. I was on Xanax for two years before crossing over to Valium in 1999. I can still remember how woozy I felt the first time I took a 10 mg. Valium. It was like I was almost high or something. I definitely remember being sooooooo relaxed.

My body and brain got used to it after about a week or two. It was still sedating, but I'd learned to feel that that was "normal" and that is part of why getting off Valium has been so hard for me over the years. My brain and body were used to being so relaxed for the 13+ years I was on Valium. Now, a week shy of hitting six months off, I just feel tense and anxious all the time. Eventually I'll figure out that this is my new "normal," but my brain still seems to want that sedating effect that Valium gave me.

So, hang in there. You'll get used to it. It takes a week or two, also, for the Valium to build up in the bloodstream, so by early December you should be doing OK. Do you plan to taper off the Valium once you get stabilized?

Hang in there. You'll be fine.

So, you don't ever get any of your energy back while taking this stuff?

Denise

Yes, I do eventually plan to taper. I need to get my health back before I can do that.

Does anyone think that w/d is causing the klonopin to hit me harder than it normally wood? Just one .25 tablet and I am looped!!

Please tell me that this gets better!

Thanks Claudia,

They have ran every test to see why my legs aren't working well. But, I think it is from the massive weight and muscle loss.

But, my main question is did their benzo that they took daily, finally stop making them drowsy, so that they could function during the day?

Yes, tolerance to the sedative effects of benzos can develop quite quickly. That was unfortunate for me, since I was taking lorazepam, exclusively for its sedating effects. Within a month, it had completely lost its sedating actions but was still anxiolytic. Hope this helps. :smitten:

Thanks Claudia,

Yes, tolerance to the sedative effects of benzos can develop quite quickly. That was unfortunate for me, since I was taking lorazepam, exclusively for its sedating effects. Within a month, it had completely lost its sedating actions but was still anxiolytic. Hope this helps. :smitten:

That helps a lot. I want the sedative effect to ease up so that I can function. I am so woozy, and it is complicating my getting out of the hospital.

And, I am so glad the anxiolytic effects stay.

Thanks!

What happened Denise? Why do they think u collapsed? And why are they giving u K ?

I am deeply sorry that u are going thru such a tough time! I don't know the answer to your question but I suspect tex is right. Our brain adjusts to meds very quickly.

I am holding your hand and I send a big hug .      Pinkee

I'm so sorry to learn of your hospitalization Denise, gosh what a shock! Do they have any idea what caused it?

I hope you can go home soon as I know you're much more comfortable there with loved ones and familiar surroundings.

I don't know what to advise about the klonopin. I've only ever taken it once and it knocked me for a loop, which is kind of surprising because I was so used to benzos being on them for so many years.

When I crossed over to valium from oxazepam I was quite drowsy initially but for me it came as a relief. I think it should settle for you with time.

Sending hugs and prayers,

Chinook :hug::smitten:

Whoops!! I posted my update on a different thread.

I am home now. They ran a bajillion tests, and I am fortunate to not have any tumors, ms, or a stroke. They think that the virus I had awhile back has attacked my central nervous system. It is called Post Viral Syndrome. They really don't know everything that it can do to a person. But, since my poor body had gone through a c/t, it was very sensitive when I got hit with the virus and I have been going downhill since then.

My symptoms were similar to a stroke. I now have to walk with a cane, since my left foot drags.

They are trying to stabilize me on klonopin, with ativan as needed. I have to get myself better before even attempting a taper.

I would really appreciate your support through this. Yes, I am terrified of taking the klonopin. But, I have absolutely no choice.

I would really love some reassurance. I will try talking my Dr into valium as soon as i can.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Dear Denise,

I am so sorry to hear of this challenge. Please know I am thinking of you as you recover. You know you have many friends here who will be at your side while you heal.

With love and friendship,

Carita

Dear Denise,

I am so sorry to hear of this challenge. Please know I am thinking of you as you recover. You know you have many friends here who will be at your side while you heal.

With love and friendship,

Carita

Thank you Carita!! Your support means a lot to me!!

Hope you are doing well!!  :)

Let me ask this opinion from everyone. And, please be gentle with me on this, because I am scared to death.

Until I can talk my Dr into valium, which would be better for me to take, or should I say easier on my body? The Klonopin or Ativan? When I take the Klon, my head feels very fuzzy and woozy for about six hours. The hospital shot me with 1.0 of ativan for the mri and at first, it made me feel kind of giddy, then it relaxed me for the two hour mri. In fact, the two hours went by pretty fast. I was relaxed, and all of the noise didn't even bother me. I almost slept through part of it. They gave me .25 klonopin about two hours before the ativan.

I am just so confused about benzo's. I only took xanax to sleep. I have never had to take anything during the day, so I really don't know how each one is supposed to make you feel. I just hate feeling sluggish. So, I really hope that wears off soon.

I know that that everyone here hates benzo's, but for right now I have no choice but to take them for the next 6-8 months. So, I need to choose wisely if I am unable to get valium right now.

Thanks for your help!

Hi again,I posted on the other thread.just to say how much compassion I have in my heart for u .

I am at a loss of how to help u. My only suggestion is to look up each one of the benzos u are talking about, and research them thoroughly. Check what each one has to offer by way of how they work. What the half life is etc. then ask around BBs for opinions on how difficult to come off they are.

The bottom line is ...how far back do u want to go?

Again I am sorry for u in this situation u are in.      I am glad u are not in as much distress.  It is so impossibly hard. It seems there is no easy way to get off them. 

xxoo.  Pinkee

Hi again,I posted on the other thread.just to say how much compassion I have in my heart for u .

I am at a loss of how to help u. My only suggestion is to look up each one of the benzos u are talking about, and research them thoroughly. Check what each one has to offer by way of how they work. What the half life is etc. then ask around BBs for opinions on how difficult to come off they are.

The bottom line is ...how far back do u want to go?

Again I am sorry for u in this situation u are in.      I am glad u are not in as much distress.  It is so impossibly hard. It seems there is no easy way to get off them. 

xxoo.  Pinkee

You are so sweet, Pinkee!!

I was researching Post Viral Syndrome, and found a website of people talking about exactly what I have been going through with problems on one side of their body. Similar to post stroke like symptoms. I was both shocked and relieved to find it. I guess it is very similar to CFS, but different. Again, it is not understood by the medical profession. I also found that so many of them end up on ativan for it.  :-\

Anyway, thank you for keeping me in your thoughts. It is very much appreciated.

Let me ask this opinion from everyone. And, please be gentle with me on this, because I am scared to death.

Until I can talk my Dr into valium, which would be better for me to take, or should I say easier on my body? The Klonopin or Ativan? When I take the Klon, my head feels very fuzzy and woozy for about six hours. The hospital shot me with 1.0 of ativan for the mri and at first, it made me feel kind of giddy, then it relaxed me for the two hour mri. In fact, the two hours went by pretty fast. I was relaxed, and all of the noise didn't even bother me. I almost slept through part of it. They gave me .25 klonopin about two hours before the ativan.

I am just so confused about benzo's. I only took xanax to sleep. I have never had to take anything during the day, so I really don't know how each one is supposed to make you feel. I just hate feeling sluggish. So, I really hope that wears off soon.

I know that that everyone here hates benzo's, but for right now I have no choice but to take them for the next 6-8 months. So, I need to choose wisely if I am unable to get valium right now.

Thanks for your help!

i don't want to give wrong advise Denise but Klonopin is worst Benzo on the market from

what i have read. half life (18-50).

so my guess would be to stick to the Ativan (10-20) and find a doc who is benzo wise and

does a slow change over to valium and then work out a sensible taper plan.

its hard, may be someone will come along with a better advise. there is a

moderator called Juliea who has a lot of knowledge .

might be a good idea to get in contact with her.

i wish i could help

love claudia :smitten:

i don't want to give wrong advise Denise but Klonopin is worst Benzo on the market from

I have read a few people say Klonopin is a particularly bad benzo.  Are there any studies which back this up or is this a conclusion drawn from people's personal experience?

I have read a few people say Klonopin is a particularly bad benzo.  Are there any studies which back this up or is this a conclusion drawn from people's personal experience?

Braban , i googled some time back and came on to a medical site were it was stated and

i read it here at BB's due to people experiences as well. so i guess its true.

Hi Denise,

I am glad to hear you are home from the hospital.  Just wanted you to know I am sympathizing with what you are going through.  Just know you have another friend here who is thinking about you.

Blessings to you,

~Mama2

Half life is not the same thing as duration of action (DOA), which is how long after you dose is the drug "working", i.e. there is a clinically significant serum level. While they are related, a drug can have a very long half life and a relatively short DOA. Valium is such a drug. It's the DOA that determines when you run out of gas and start to develop IW symtoms.

Personally, I would not change from Ativan to Klonopin.

Aweigh

Half life is not the same thing as duration of action (DOA), which is how long after you dose is the drug "working", i.e. there is a clinically significant serum level. While they are related, a drug can have a very long half life and a relatively short DOA. Valium is such a drug. It's the DOA that determines when you run out of gas and start to develop IW symtoms.

Personally, I would not change from Ativan to Klonopin.

Aweigh

interesting thanks. are there lists on the web where one can find the DOA of benzos ?