Exercise during withdrawal.

[Ch...]

I live in  the country in southern Oregon -15 miles to the nearest town of 2000 people in summer and in the big city of Ft Lauderdale, FL in winter.

In summer I walk a beautiful path through the woods to the mail box - round trip of 3 miles. Wildlife, clear air, beautiful - calming.

In Florida I live on an island of 6 condos with swimming pools. Early morning I walk around the Island -3 miles and swim  30 laps in the afternoon.

Both places- vastly different- get me outside-

My fatigue lift's a while. I force myself out and am fine when I get out. It is getting off the damn couch and through the door that is the hard part. I take my phone and listen to music when my head is having a committee session- other times I try to quiet my head by looking at the scenery

This exercise is mild and I think it helps. I tried vigorous exercise( running) but it made things worse plus I hate it.

Every evening- either place, I sit outside at the golden hour- just before sunset and chill. For some reason at that time (unless the weather is bad) everything goes still and it is amazing.

As an avid weightlifter i can say from experience that exercise can make matters worse during a taper, I had to adjust the volume and the intensity of workouts right down, and even now as i go into recovery i am still being careful how much i do. At first I though my lifting would help but I left the gym feeling utterly exhausted, mentally and physically, normally I would get a high from a workout.

yes exercise whether in the gym or out in the fresh air can be a great distraction and help keep your mind and body active but i would advise only doing as much as you feel able to.

As an avid weightlifter i can say from experience that exercise can make matters worse during a taper, I had to adjust the volume and the intensity of workouts right down, and even now as i go into recovery i am still being careful how much i do. At first I though my lifting would help but I left the gym feeling utterly exhausted, mentally and physically, normally I would get a high from a workout.

yes exercise whether in the gym or out in the fresh air can be a great distraction and help keep your mind and body active but i would advise only doing as much as you feel able to.

Yes but I've done a lot of fitness training and rep work with weights(Not lifting heavy weights to bulk up but doing reps to raise fitness levels & muscle tone) and what I found was that at the time yes,you may get exhausted and think that the training may be hurting you more than helping, but I promise that is only your body and muscles hurting from the withdrawal.

If you can work through that and as long as you're not over-exerting,fitness is ALWAYS a positive.It raises your body physically and mentally.With the mental side you'll probably not even know how much all those good chemicals fitness brings like Dopamine,endorphin's and Serotonin will be benefiting you but it will be,big time.

Four days ago I did more physical activity than I have in months.  I have been in a bad wave since.  I have  been more in the bed than up for the last several months.  There were a couple of days I managed to get up and out.  I have really been pushing myself this week, trying to walk around outside and to the mailbox, because I can't get rid of the weak leg feeling, even after being up for some time.  This seems to come and go.  I don't know if it is part of the wave or is it from being so active four days ago.  Does anyone have any idea?

~Mama2

Four days ago I did more physical activity than I have in months.  I have been in a bad wave since.  I have  been more in the bed than up for the last several months.  There were a couple of days I managed to get up and out.  I have really been pushing myself this week, trying to walk around outside and to the mailbox, because I can't get rid of the weak leg feeling, even after being up for some time.  This seems to come and go.  I don't know if it is part of the wave or is it from being so active four days ago.  Does anyone have any idea?

~Mama2

I'm no expert (she said adamantly!), but it sounds like what I went through when I tried to do too much exercise too soon. I became very weak, physically. My legs were very wobbly. I rested and it went away. When I was quite a bit better, I exercised and this time felt better for it. It's such a hard thing to judge! One wants to exercise because of the health benefits/advantages and being tired out is such a good way to combat anxiety. On the other hand, overdoing it seems to make the physical effects (and therefore mental effects) worse! Hang in there, Mama, maybe just rest for a couple of days and then walk around again? My 50c worth!