Four and a quarter years off benzos, pretty well recovered

[Be...]

thanks for your story pete!

i am at 23 months and still fighting the urge to shoot myself on an hourly basis. but i'm hanging in there :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you your story brings me a wee bit of hope.  25 months out from a rapid k taper after 4+ years of use.  Still suffering a lot.  Have seen major physical improvements but the depression and fear are hanging on strong.

So happy for you!

Karen

Hi Pete,

I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes and streaming down my cheeks.  God has found a messenger in you.  May your days from here on be filled with his grace and happiness.

L.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Crushing fatigue is one of my main symptoms, it worries be you seem to still have some of that leftover.

When were you able to consume alcohol?

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone I am back and better than ever, coming up on five years in August and I feel even more healed now then when I originally wrote this story. Still mild tinnitus, poor short term memory and lower energy levels/stamina than I had before benzos but overall I am a experiencing a quality of life which would simply have been a pipe dream for me a few years ago.

When were you able to consume alcohol?

I don't really know when because I did not even try consuming alcohol up until just a few months ago when I was already about four and a half years out but you will probably be happy to know I can consume it now without any problems. I usually don't drink more than one beer at a time but even one time when I drank a bit too much vodka and got kind of drunk off it, I still did not have any problems with returning withdrawal symptoms, just a regular hangover.

Thank you, Pete, for your story. It brought tears to my eyes because you went through so much pain and suffering. I can relate very well to not being able to feel emotionally and not caring due to benzo w/d. It's one of the classic sxs that's so very difficult to come to terms with. You have been renewed in your spirituality, and that has become front and center for me, also, since traveling this very difficult path. Congratulations to you, and I wish you well always!

yes, benzo wd serves as a constant and relentless reminder that one cannot rely on circumstances to bring one joy, joy must be found in one's own heart. I remember reading a post from the user flick on another benzo forum where he joked that he belonged to the "benzo withdrawal torture" school of enlightenment.  that line really stuck with me, because i thought it was so funny and appropriate.

• 1 year later...

Hi Pete,

I hope you get this! I am struggling with the cog fog and I can hardly handle it. It makes it so difficult for me to function. When did it stop for you? Please reply if you see this. I need encouragement with that, specifically. Oh, and the derealization.

Thank you for sharing your story. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Pete,

Thank you for sharing. I am 35 months out and still losing hope at times. Some days I feel so good, others so hopeless and sick.

I am so happy for you and so encouraged by this.

K

Hi Pete

Thanks for your story it was so well written and so helpful.

wishing you well for the future.

thanks so much for sharing, it really helps those of us still struggling.

Lib

Seems as if we're in the same stage. I get the brain fire when my memory is working, still memory problems but slowly getting better, conversation following problems, etc., but we're in the same boat. Couple more months until we're finally there

• 6 years later...