My psychiatrist thinks I should be on benzos for life

[lo...]

Doc might be sarcastic, but I'd sit through it in order to get my hands on a script "for life", as you say. You ARE very close to getting free--I was too until homelessness decimated me again. I stay with friends, and have filed again for SSDI--third time in mid-middle age--and if I had a way to support myself right now, I'd try again.If you are a young person--say, under 30--success at this point would put you at an enviable place. There's something to be said for both sides of your dilemma. Luck to you.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fl...]

• [lo...]

• [...]

• [Ja...]

I also had a doctor who wouldn't shut up about underlaying conditions and being on one drug or another. I fired him and found another doctor who thinks psych meds are extremely dangerous and generally won't prescribe them. He's told me that he thinks most psych diagnoses are bs used to put people on drugs that usually do more harm than good.

So, I went out of my way to find a fairly controversial MD who shares my own fairly controversial beliefs -- but, I'm off drugs, I've got a solid support network, and I'm no longer paying money to pharmaceutical companies or to doctors I disagree with, so I won.

If you do have those issues, can you take something else? I take Effexor for GAD and it helps so much. If it is just withdrawal, just wait and see what happens. Just know if it is a true problem there are other drugs out there that can help you that aren't benzos. Some people really do need them like myself. Good luck!

I'm with ya Jaxie. If I could just get rid of the DP/DR life would be grand. The head pressure is annoying but I can handle it.

Any suggestions on DP/DR?  I've googled it many times but nothing seems to work

Thank you!

There are way better alternatives to help with social anxiety.  There's all sorts of therapies, and ways to help with it. 

This is exactly right.

I would look on youtube for      NLP  Anxiety      and you will find many FREE solutions to your problems.

Benzos are NOT the long term solution for your problems - even according to the drug manufacturers.  The doctors are the ones who misuse the intended short -term emergency applications for benzos.

DP/DR is, in general, a self-limiting condition. It can drag on for a long time, but I've never heard of it being permanent, whether or not benzos were involved in creating it in the first place.

I wouldn't, personally treat it with drugs -- and I say that as someone who had a DP/DR episode that dragged on for a year and made it very difficult to do normal things like driving or working. So, my advice for how to live with it is the same as all the other anxiety symptoms: good diet, regular exercise, meditation, self-compassion.

Hi, this might sound weird,

but I noticed that when I had d/p, it was when I was talking with somebody and trying to

get my point across--my ego was involved.

Anybody else notice this?

Thanks,

Iggy  :thumbsup:

Thanks Spengler. I've had DP/DR more than a year now and it's getting old. Some of it is benzo related. Maybe due to a concussion I had. Or maybe just anxiety.....

DP/DR is, in general, a self-limiting condition. It can drag on for a long time, but I've never heard of it being permanent, whether or not benzos were involved in creating it in the first place.

I wouldn't, personally treat it with drugs -- and I say that as someone who had a DP/DR episode that dragged on for a year and made it very difficult to do normal things like driving or working. So, my advice for how to live with it is the same as all the other anxiety symptoms: good diet, regular exercise, meditation, self-compassion.

Unfortunately, I think mine IS permanent. I got it at 19, WAY before I was ever introduced to benzos. I am not a normal case though. I have a connective tissue disorder which pretty much affects everything in my body so I am by no means someone to use as an example. I just wanted to say that it can be permanent, but not as a wd sx. As a wd sx, it will go away. I am glad that yours went away.

Iggy- YES, I get lost in what I am trying to say and sometimes don't even know what I just said. Or, I am listening to someone but can't make sense of their words. It makes me feel really dumb. Glad I don't have to deal with that on the daily anymore...it just comes and goes when I make a too-big cut.

When I went tru w/d my idiot  told me  I need stay for life and try give me Clonidine  and Seroquile , Buspar for P .attacks , anxiety .

Idiot .

I am two years off never have panic attack , anxiety , DP, nothing , sleep 6 , 7 hours  since a year off .

Yet , daily  Iam sick from long term of  use Clonazepam for no reason , sensitivity to everything on Earth and my immune system is completely destroyed from benzo .

Little wind  and  I  have flu  for  2 months , Immune system non exist . :(

Hi, this might sound weird,

but I noticed that when I had d/p, it was when I was talking with somebody and trying to

get my point across--my ego was involved.

Anybody else notice this?

Thanks,

Iggy  :thumbsup:

i haven't noticed this myself but i find this interesting and think it could very well be. i also think that the dp'dr i still have, this slight veil always over me won't leave until my brain stops from the vice that seems to be clamping down on it for almost 18 months now. my notion is that if my brain is still moving, vibrating, clamping down like a vice is on it--then i won't have the clearest and most balanced thoughts.

I had virtually no symptoms like anxiety, agoraphobia, depression, derealisation, depersonalisation etc. before the benzos. They all surfaced after the benzos were introduced to treat insomnia, and yet I was told I needed to stay on the pills because of all those symptoms. Sounds logic, doesn't it ?

Now, after the benzos, I've lost most of those symptoms again, but I'm stuck with numerous physical symptoms I also didn't have before the benzos. My insomnia is 100 times worse than it was when I started with the benzos. Again, doctors are telling me to pop pills so I won't get any "psychosomatic symptoms", which is what they call my physical symptoms. Sure, burning nerves, ear pressure, head pressure, painful eyes, sensitivity to sound and light, and 3 nights of NO sleep after ingesting MSG are all "psychosomatic". Name one psychological disorder that causes all those symptoms, mr pdoc. I'll give you one million dollars if you find any. Not that I have that kind of money, but something tells me I won't need it for this bet.

I got it at 19, WAY before I was ever introduced to benzos. I am not a normal case though. I have a connective tissue disorder which pretty much affects everything in my body so I am by no means someone to use as an example

Interestingly enough, I was also 19. At the time I attributed it to high school drug use (initially ADHD medications and antidepressants, but I added insult to injury with a boatload of weed and LSD) - but since then I have talked to a decent number of people with no drug use in their history who had DP episodes around this age. I think it may relate to "adult" development of perceptual processes, but that's just my own crackpot theory.

I don't want to pry, but you said connective tissue - I had someone suggest to me recently that I might have genes for Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, so if that's on your chart then it's really interesting.

Sure' date=' burning nerves, ear pressure, head pressure, painful eyes, sensitivity to sound and light, and 3 nights of NO sleep after ingesting MSG are all "psychosomatic". [/quote']

It's very frustrating, isn't it? When all my symptoms were at their worst, of course my anxiety was too, and so of course some doctors thought "well this guy is clearly super anxious, so, that's probably all that's going on here". I understand the tendency, but you're right, these things are not well understood or explainable right now.