Important Survey - Please Participate ×

New Titration Schedule?

[...]

Hi Colin -

Can you run me a titration schedule that uses two .5 mg tabs in 100ml?  (I have the ability to measure half ml's with a 12ml syringe marked in .2ml increments).  I've been dropping a straight .01mg/day, and feel it is time to start dropping by %.  reason for this is I've been using 1mg/ml and would like to continue that if possible.

Start date of Saturday May 9

starting total daily dose of .620 mg

using two .5mg tabs (lorazepam)

rate at 1%/day

100ml cylinder

Snow

Hi Snow,

I'll write up the schedule for you tomorrow. ;)

Hey, that's great, Colin!  Thank you.

Snow

Hi Snow,

I thought I understood, but now that I read your post again, I don't! ???

Is it that you wish to have both pills in the liquid?

The existing taper plan actually switches from one based upon cuts relative to your dose at the time, to one where cuts become regular (they no longer grow smaller/slower as your dose drops). In your existing schedule, this occurs at one tablet. This ensures that the end of the taper is not drawn out too long.

I am currently crushing two .5 tabs in 100ml (which = 1mg/ml) because my doses are divided in am .22mg and pm .44mg (as of today).  I have been decreasing the over-all daily dose by .01mg (decreasing the PM dose only right now).  I want to decrease by 1%/day as per the previous schedule, but need it all in liquid form in order to divide my total daily dose.  So I need two tabs to do that.  I draw off 22ml for the morning doses, and 44ml (or whatever it is for that day) for the evening dose. 

I'd like to keep the numbers I am working with the same.  For example, by total daily dose today will be .635 - .22 am and .415 pm (22 and 41.5). 

The rate of taper would be the same, but some of the doses will be XX5.  Can your program do that?

Snow

Hi,

If you are on about 0.66mg per day, and you are using 1mg in 100ml of liquid, then a 1% linear taper from 66ml would equate to cutting 1ml for two days, and hold for one day. Just do this all the way down to zero.

So:

Day1 65ml cut

Day2 64ml cut

Day3 64ml hold

Day4 63ml cut

Day5 62ml cut

Day6 62ml hold

Day7 61ml cut

Day8 60ml cut

Day9 60ml hold

Day10 59ml cut

Day11 58ml cut

Day12 58ml hold

Day13 57ml cut

Day14 56ml cut

Day15 56ml hold

Day16 55ml cut

Day17 54ml cut

Day18 54ml hold

And so on down to zero.

Wow.  Thats simple!  Thank you Colin.

Snow

Sorry, I need to edit my last post. I messed the the 'holds' and 'cuts'. Give me 5 minutes.

As I think about it - bear with me here - I 'm still not sure.  By linear cut, you mean the taper is not calculated as a % of the previous cut(s)?  If so - that's not what I was getting at.... ?

Snow

Hi,

That's correct, but that's how it should be. Our titration spreadsheet switches to a linear taper at a low dose - this is vital, otherwise the end of the taper is drawn out way too long. You need to keep in mind that at a low dose, the benzo is only a small pert of the overall picture. As our dose drops, our own normal GABA becomes more dominant. The fact that the taper is now linear in profile is not a problem. Think of it like this. If we cut every day by 1% of our previous day's dose, our dose only ever gets smaller but never reaches zero.

Your dose is only a little more than the point from where I usually start the linear taper.

If you feel you wish to slow it down at some stage, then simply make a 1ml cut every other day. There is no magic to all this - adjust your taper to according to how you react. ;)

OK, that clears it up - thank you Colin.  I tend to forget - as the yukky days come and go - that I have come a long way from 2mg.

Snow

Wow.  No one around here has referred to me as lucid in a long time.  I'll quote you  to them.  :)

Snow