Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Has anyone tried SAM-e

[Cl...]

About a year ago my Internist suggested I try SAM-e for depression.  I had told her I wanted to get off the Amitriptilene that I have been on for 22 years after I recover from this Benzo w/d hell.

Being loathe to try ANYTHING else because of my increased sensitivity, I put the suggestion aside.  But I while I was researching vit B12 today, I ran into B12 deficiency with IBS.  Then I came across an Article linking B12 deficiency, IBS and Fibromyalgia, which lead me to an article on SAM-e producing similar results as Amitriptilene (Elavil).

So I would be intersted in hearing from amyone on Sam-e.  Here is a brief description.

What is SAMe

LiverAlso known as: SAM-e, S-adenosylmethionine

The supplement SAMe is a synthetic form of a compound formed naturally in the body from the essential amino acid methionine and adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the energy-producing compound found in all cells in the body. It was first discovered in 1953.

SAMe is believed to work by being a methyl group donor in many reactions in the body. After donating the methyl group, it is converted to a compound called S-adenosyl-homocysteine.

Why Do People Use SAMe

Osteoarthritis

There have been a number of studies on the effectiveness of SAMe in the treatment of osteoarthritis. SAMe appears to diminish osteoarthritis pain as effectively as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication. It appears to be well-tolerated.

Depression

There have been a number of studies on the use of SAMe for depression. It has been hypothesized that SAMe increases the availaibility of neurotransmitter serotonin and dopamine.  

Thanks,

Clair

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe no one responded to this question. My wife is taking it and swears by it for her joints (she seems to be in better spirits too)

I want to take it myself but I am waiting til my withdrawal symptoms are completely behind me

Bob, thanks so much for replying to my post.  I also am surprised no one else seems to have heard of SAMe.  If I ever see my way clear of these benzo w/d s/x, I will definitely try it after hearing your wife had a positive experience.  I want desperately to get off the  5o mgs of Amitriptilene.

Is your wife's joint problem Fibromyalgia?

Clair

Oh no, my wife just has 48 year old joints. She's the healthiest thing in the world.

I'm going to take a bottle of glucosamine that i just bought and see if that helps my joints. If not, I will then start the sam-e...by then I will be 90 days benzo free.

Oh no, my wife just has 48 year old joints. She's the healthiest thing in the world.

I'm going to take a bottle of glucosamine that i just bought and see if that helps my joints. If not, I will then start the sam-e...by then I will be 90 days benzo free.

Bob, my dr. wanted me to take gluscosamine for my joints and she said to take at least 1,500 mg daily.  It helps me a great deal.  :)

• 3 months later...

i have taken it and felt good results although i think it has a tendency to 'ramp you up' which may not be good for anxiety or sleep.

My motto has been try it. if it makes you feel better-GREAT! if not, then stop taking it.

a lot of people swear by this stuff. And 5 HTP also.

Good luck!

"Keeping the faith"

Steph

i have taken it and felt good results although i think it has a tendency to 'ramp you up' which may not be good for anxiety or sleep.

My motto has been try it. if it makes you feel better-GREAT! if not, then stop taking it.

a lot of people swear by this stuff. And 5 HTP also.

Good luck!

"Keeping the faith"

Steph

Steph, which one are you talking about....sam-e or glucosamine?

I tried SAM-e 3 years ago and my anxiety level went through the roof - this was before I was ever on a benzo.  I had all sorts of weird feelings in my head that I thought I was going crazy. I used it because I had read that it was a good liver detoxifier and helped with depression.  Glad it works for some, but it did not work for me at all.  Wish it had.

SAM-e has a tendency to 'ramp people up" I think it is useful for some with depression issues but maybe not so great with anxiety.I think it is all what works for you. What works for one may be detremental to another. Some people suggest no supplements at all. I was taking:

5HTP

L-Theanine

Passion Flower

and neu-relieve

and mega 3 fish oil

today I am trying it without.

can't say it's better.............it all depends on how your body reacts.

if a supplement seems to help...GREAT!

If not, stop taking it.

best of luck!!!

XOXOXO steph

Bob,  I don't know how I missed your reply back in May.  It was so kid of you, and thanks to everyone else who replied.  I haven't checked in on BB for a while, but I did google it and read the same "cons" as you all mentioned.  The possibility of revving up my system turned me off.  I was disappointed, as I was looking for something to substitute for the 50 mgs of Amitriptilene I am on.  I have attempted weaning off this drug, am down to 40 mgs, but am experiencing depression, so I am stuck here.

Clair