Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Lexapro....my doc insists .... wouldn't 5-htp work since it works on seratonin?

[wh...]

Ok here is the deal...I have ct'd off klonopin and have the fear of it in the back of my mind and I reinstated late...2 months after the last one and the stuff I went through was a nightmare and then I lost my job, money, boyfriend, etc cuz I can't work and the slow withdrawal is causing bad sx's...I am having high anxiety ...very tight in the chest and then I get thoughts that go round and round...like ...I remember the ct and remember all the other stuff and then I worry will I be the same ever and what will happen when I get to the end and then I friek cuz the axniety is bad and this is why i had failed ct's cuz the anxiety got the best of me and I went back on it...oh and i was not on it for anxiety..this caused anxiety...and I know benzos cause anxiety too that is chemical..but my doc seems to think that I have two kinds of anxiety..benzo and the fear and worry and round and round thougts that make it worse.

I read a lot about lexapro and it scares me...has anyone here had a good experience or bad that you can share with me while coming off benzos?  I know it is another drug to come off of but I am afraid...to take it or not to take it.  shed some light please.

also the 5-htp thing..anyone take it as I see it is a natural anxiety / anti depressant?

oh boy..I am in constant termoil over this and the mess it made with my life.

so worried how I am gonna get to zero...the way I feel. 

Ok here is the deal...I have ct'd off klonopin and have the fear of it in the back of my mind and I reinstated late...2 months after the last one and the stuff I went through was a nightmare and then I lost my job, money, boyfriend, etc cuz I can't work and the slow withdrawal is causing bad sx's...I am having high anxiety ...very tight in the chest and then I get thoughts that go round and round...like ...I remember the ct and remember all the other stuff and then I worry will I be the same ever and what will happen when I get to the end and then I friek cuz the axniety is bad and this is why i had failed ct's cuz the anxiety got the best of me and I went back on it...oh and i was not on it for anxiety..this caused anxiety...and I know benzos cause anxiety too that is chemical..but my doc seems to think that I have two kinds of anxiety..benzo and the fear and worry and round and round thougts that make it worse.

I read a lot about lexapro and it scares me...has anyone here had a good experience or bad that you can share with me while coming off benzos?  I know it is another drug to come off of but I am afraid...to take it or not to take it.  shed some light please.

also the 5-htp thing..anyone take it as I see it is a natural anxiety / anti depressant?

oh boy..I am in constant termoil over this and the mess it made with my life.

so worried how I am gonna get to zero...the way I feel. 

I ws on lexapro for depression years ago but it didn't do me any good.  I can't remember anything in particular about it.  You can do a forum search and find the posts where lexapro was mentioned by clicking on Forum at the top of the page and typing in lexapro in the box to the right of the little magnifying glass.

Hawkey recommended a book about anti-depressants: "The Anti-depressant Solution" by Joseph Glenmullen/ My library had a copy and maybe yours does, too.  There's no substitute for self-education because other people's experiences are unlikely to be identical to yours.  You could do a similar forum search for 5-htp.  do remember it being mentioned and I think it was with mixed results.  I don't remember anything bad being reported but please don't trust my memory about this.

thanks again Beeper for being so kind...ok well did you find that the lexapro made you sick in any way?  I see you tried it for depression..I want to find something for the anxiety and on going thoughts in my head...the round and round ones...

I guess the book you mentioned would no doubt be anti ...anti anxiety meds right?

ok yeah the 5htp I read about on the webs but I dunno what it does in withdrawal..if it revs ya up and makes more anxiety or helps ...

I know I took it here and there and I slept better but afraid of it....til I know more.

Hi there,

I'd stay off the lexapro, I just don't think it's a good idea to add in another chemical.

About the 5-HTP. It saved my life but I took it BEFORE I got addicted to benzos. Taking it since and after titrating off benzos, it has done no good. It revs me up.

The anxiety is withdrawal. It's going to keep surfacing until you get off of the klono and have had it out of your system for awhile. It's absolute hell. I tried everything to get rid of it, it ended up just having to keep posting here and biting your tongue and understanding that it will get better.

I don't want to recommend anything too much because it's difficult to do when you are on benzos. I take St. Johns Wort and it calms me down. Be careful though because everything reacts differently when you are on meds.

My doc also insisted on the lexapro so I gave in and for me, it was NOT the answer.  It made me vomit, gave me dizziness and such.  For me, I have to stay away from chemicals.

I tried alot of supplements and finally realized that the benzos are just too strong for the supplements to do anything....at least for me.  Again, everyone is different.

I did try 5 htp and noticed nothing.  L-theanine helped some with the anxiety, but honestly, there is no magic pill out there that will take it all away.  I've tried them all....there just isn't one.  the only for certain way to heal is to get off benzos and give your body time.  Yea, not the answer you are looking for, but it is the truth.

My doc also insisted on the lexapro so I gave in and for me, it was NOT the answer.  It made me vomit, gave me dizziness and such.  For me, I have to stay away from chemicals.

I tried alot of supplements and finally realized that the benzos are just too strong for the supplements to do anything....at least for me.  Again, everyone is different.

but honestly, there is no magic pill out there that will take it all away.  I've tried them all....there just isn't one.  the only for certain way to heal is to get off benzos and give your body time.  Yea, not the answer you are looking for, but it is the truth.

I totally agree with CAL, time is the only way to heal, I wish there were an easier way but there's nothing.  >:( 

Lexapro did the same thing to me.  The dr. told me it was well tolerated by most everyone, the best on the market, and it made me as sick as I've ever been.

thanks tropic, sugar and cal...

rats ok I was hoping that something would help....so I see that sugar..you said the 5-htp reved you up?  in what way?  do u feel it really did?  and how bad ?  I find when I take it I can sleep but then a couple days later it seems to make me anxous but who knows with the benzos...if I had taken for example X and my benzo sxs reved up ..I would blame it on X but who knows cuz the benzo sx's rev up when the feel like it.

ok um ..i do remember taking 5 mg of lexapro 5 months ago when I was not on the benzo and I did get dizzy and puke and scared me...and I did not take more..so I guess it is not good then...ok thanks folks...ok tho..a question..did you guys get fear and round and round thoughts that scared you bad and you got more anxiety from being anxious?

did the anxiety lessen as you got lower ?  or did it get worse?  I want to go faster on the benzo but afraid to.  I am puking alot and took 4 months to come off 38% off this hell and I have so much more to go and I dunno how to get off safely faster?  um  did you notice that the lower you got other stuff was better too?  or did you get worse the lower you got?

and what happened the last dose you guys took?

thanks for your kindness.

It revs me up to the point where I feel much worse taking it. You've been on benzos awhile. I don't think the 5htp would be a good plan. It's too hard to tell how you will react. When I took 5-htp and it worked for me is when I had no serotonin. I have serotonin now, I just don't think my CNS knows quite what to do with it and I think my whole system just glitches.

My anxiety seemed to get worse as I got lower. Don't go any faster. Take it slow, it will happen. After I got off I felt fine for a few days and then a bunch of stuff happened with my life and I felt awful for a month. I got weird cravings right after I got off. It will leave your body but it will make a mess till it does.

Sugar,

you are so nice...ya see that the docs want me on lexapro to give me more seritonin and  I would rather just take the natural route..does it not work the same and then I can stop it without having horrid wds?  I dunno.

I am worring myself to a frazzle cause I wonder if anyone has ever heard of someone not able to get off benzos..???? I made a mess out of coming off this hell...taking it too long and staying at the same rate where I had tolerance wds for years being sick from this ....and then lowering it myself and then two ct's and yo yoing the doses then reinstating and now coming off is grewling and I wonder if I broke my brain or if a brain can heal from this mess and I can get off it...the lower I go I feel my brain is getting all weirdo and dizzy and well I am plain scared if I can get off this..I have a long ways to zero and as slow as I am going it could take God...up to maybe 2 years to come off the rest of the .5...which is .310 if I feel this badly?  I dunno...maybe I can't come off..I am scared...what if my brain can't heal ...has that happened to anyone and they go mad?  I wonder what would happen if I keep going and do not stop ....how sick can I get ?  what would happen?  if I go super slow and keep going?  and feeling worse as I go...what will happen then at the end..yikes.

Hi whatalife!  You can get off benzos! I really think you need to do some relaxation, deep breathing, meditation, some exercise (yoga is good) and rest yourself. I know you are scared, I really understand! We all are. Your thinking pattern needs to change or your going to keep working yourself into a frenzy. Negative thinking can make this journey so much worse, and I tell you that from personally experience! CBT may be beneficial for you.

I'm going to have to go back and look at your taper schedule. It may be possible that you need to speed up your taper. When we get off is when the real healing begins  :thumbsup: . Your not going to go mad, your not permanently damaged, your just wd'ing and it's hard! Your not alone!

Hang in there

Amanda  :smitten:

You're not going to be permanently damaged. Trust me. After you get off and if you baby yourself, and I do mean taking care of yourself and having no stress with anything or anyone, you will be fine. I like to do everything the hard way and I have always been one to create more stress and all that does is prolong everything. You will be ok.

;)  Be careful getting off ssri s esp lexapro and check your blood pressure.

You should NEVER mix 5htp with ssri, a/d or maoi.

on and off benzos

I am not on a ssri ....I did not take it after the first pill that made me sick.

do any of you get that morning adrenal rush that wakes you in the morning and feels like fear and panic and you have to get up?  it is awful and it hits me and I hate it ...does this go away the lower you get on the dose or get stronger as you lower this?

I hate it..what can be done?  I worry the lower I go the more I will get of  this...it is my worse sx I have.

thanx

I am not on a ssri ....I did not take it after the first pill that made me sick.

do any of you get that morning adrenal rush that wakes you in the morning and feels like fear and panic and you have to get up?  it is awful and it hits me and I hate it ...does this go away the lower you get on the dose or get stronger as you lower this?

I hate it..what can be done?  I worry the lower I go the more I will get of  this...it is my worse sx I have.

thanx

The morning anxiety is very common for many members. If I have posted this before to you, sorry??

MORNING ANXIETY

Here is an article about morning anxiety...

"Yes, depression and anxiety are worse in the morning. That is when your body's cortisol level is the hightest(cortisol is stimulating) and that accounts for probably part of what you are feeling. Cortisol is the stress hormone, your body produces when you are under stress.

The paradox of stress/cortisol is that anxiety produces cortisol, which produces anxiety which produces more cortisol, which causes you to feel more anxious...etc....

Soon you find yourself in this never ending cycle of anxiety and depression.

What you must do to get well is ACCEPT your anxiety. You must ACCEPT your feelings and not try to fight them. Do this long enough and an interesting thing happens, the anxiety goes away."

Deanne Repich from her article Understanding Early Morning Anxiety says,

"Another reason why symptoms can be worse in the morning is because your blood sugar is low when you first wake up. You have gone all night without food.

It's important to maintain a constant blood sugar level because the brain uses sugar, also known as glucose, as its fuel. If blood sugar levels are too low or drop too fast, then the brain starts running out of fuel.

This causes the brain to trigger the "fight or flight" response. The "fight or flight" response sends a rush of adrenaline, cortisol, and other neurotransmitters through your body to prepare you to fight or flee the perceived threat (low fuel).

This process can trigger physical reactions ("symptoms") such as trembling, rapid heartbeat, sweating, panic attacks, fatigue, insomnia, mental confusion, nervousness, dizziness, and more."

thx so what do we do to help it?  eat more meals?

also does it get worse the lower we go or does it get better &  it makes me feel insane!

thx so what do we do to help it?  eat more meals?

also does it get worse the lower we go or does it get better &  it makes me feel insane!

It got better for me the lower I went but everyone's different, sorry to say. You may try eating something before bedtime, like a banana and then I have heard when you first wake up, take a drink of soda and maybe have a small snack and see if that helps.

• 1 month later...

Hi.  My internist last Fall had suggested lexapro was the way for me to get off 6mg valium over a two to three week period.   Just goes to show you that docs really still don't understand or have even heard of Ashton slow taper methods.

I did not feel comfortable with a three week taper plan off valium nor adding lexapro and so I did nothing.  By the start of the year, I decided I had become tolerant to the 5-7mg of nightly valium and did not want to continue increasing my dose in order to sleep so I joined a forum and began a slow taper off valium since mid January.  

By March, I decided to see a doctor to help with the last few months and to get liquid prescribed for the final 2mg and under.  The psyc (and keep in mind he is just one doc) told me that at least in my case, SSRI's including lex were not a good idea.  Why?  Because he said SSRI's are often activating and also can add anxiety.  I had read that the first three to four weeks of taking prozac for example would lead to initial anxiety but then it would calm down.  Maybe thats just what they print in the literature, don't know.  All I can say is that I'm grateful to this doc who was honest with me about all SSRI's and the potential to increase anxiety especially for someone with more anxiety to begin with.  Maybe SSRI is better for somebody in a deep depression.  I had some anxiety to begin with, even before taking a benzo last year.  That doesn't mean some people won't benefit from an SSRI, but they're just not for me.  

thanks all....

I decided not to take lexapro as it is not good to add more stuff..I tried 1/4th of one and I was so sick in the head..worse than I am now...nasty ..and just not worth getting more junk in the head to coem off of later.

Vertigo..glad you found an honest Psych...wow thought there were none......you got lucky.

how did you feel going lower on the drug ?  did you feel worse or better as you neared the end? what was your sx's?  I am at .25 now of k which is the amount you were coming off of...I am very symptomatic from coming off of .5 which is now half way and I think maybe holding here is the thing to do for a bit?  I dunno...the mornings are a horror...wake up jacked up and sweaty and want to sleep more but my body says no and I have to move around and still so tired.  sigh...I wonder how long this mess will take..it is torture.

• 1 month later...

Hey W,

First I want to say how sorry I am for the struggles you are going through.  Been down that road and still fighting the battle!  For me, lexapro and other a/d's made me so much worse in the anxiety department, and for me, that's my worst symptom...some days I thought I was going nuts.  I have come to believe that for me personally, my CNS is so messed up that I don't want to add anything to the mix that might mess with my taper.  I know what you feel when it comes to morning anxiety and adrenalin surge.  It's awful! :sick:  But we can and will get through this.  You have found a great network of people who can help you in this journey, so I want to encourage you to hang in there and know that many of us have suffered just as you are right now.  You are not alone and we are here to help in every way we can.

Missy :smitten: