Important Survey - Please Participate ×

was just prescribed klonopin and buspar

[Lo...]

Hey all. For those of you who aren't familiar w\ my story of meds the last almost 3 months. Here is a little briefing.

Jan  - 5 weeks of 5mg valiums. i never stabilized just took anywhere form 20-30 mg daily. and 5 mg percocet at 20 mg daily. the percocet was easy to stop c\t didnt have any effects. and my problem isnt with the opiates. its the benzos.

3 days after stopping valium at that dosage cold turkey i started getting severe w\d which including paranoia, nervousness, no personality, anxiety, couldnt eat, nausea, vomiting, depersonalization, derealisation, hectic crying spells (and im not the type that crys), fuzzy cloudy brain like it was filled with water and my ears wouldnt pop. no ringing, few more but cant think much right now. however lucky me i had all the mental wd no physical except slight shaking.

obtained ambien 5mg from my regular physician whos a quack that barely speaks english that tells me if i cant sleep take a shot of vodka at night. was taking 20 mg each night at least to get 2-4 hours of sleep waking up with even worse w\d's. im pretty sure this aggravated my symptoms and kept them "alive"

went to the hospital 5 days after stopping valium freaking out intensely they dismissed me as just a slight anxiety attack and gave me an ativan 1 mg on the spot. and sent me home with 3 of them in my pocket. the next day to sleep i took 2.

about a week after no valium i went back to my quack physician who wrote me a script for ad's and .5 xanax.. i flushed the ad's and took the xanax as needed, not stabilizing. for the first week i took only 2 pills a day. 2nd week 3 pills. and this past week was up to 4 pills per day.

i just recently found a sympathetic dr to wd and familiar with the ashton manual and  willing to help me thru my taper\titration process. i proposed to get back on valium but he said hed rather switch over to klonopin 1 mg (90 count), and said hed lower my dose when i need more. the bottle says to take the klono 3 times a day and he also prescribed buspar 15 mg which the bottle says 1 tablet twice a day. tonight i took a xanax and am gonna take one more before bed.

how much klono should i take now and at what schedule? should i touch the buspar? he told me it aided in wd and its not a benzo or an ad. i need help on how much i should stabilize myself on for how long and then how to taper or titrate which ever is better suited. i need desperate help. i dont know the equivelancy to anything im a spaz when it comes to numbers chemistry and schedule. i will be forever in your debt.

-trying to remain hopeful

dave

Hi LIB,

Xanax is considered equal to Klonopin. So if you were taking .50mg 2X a day of Xanax, you could take .50mg of Klonopin. It will take a bit longer for the K to come up to a consistent blood level. The K also has a longer half life so you may only need to take it twice a day. I took my K 3X/day but others have only taken it 2X/day.  I should just tell you to try and take the least amount to make you comfortable as it will be less to taper off of.

T2 :smitten:

thanks t2 on a prompt response however almost a week ive been taking 4 .5 xanax daily. should i do the same for klono. 4 per day? the bottle says only 3 a day. should i base my schedule and take it imidiatley upon rising?

thanks t2 on a prompt response however almost a week ive been taking 4 .5 xanax daily. should i do the same for klono. 4 per day? the bottle says only 3 a day. should i base my schedule and take it imidiatley upon rising?

You should take it as the bottle says, three times a day. That is how I took mine. I think you will do fine on 1.50mg since it has a longer half life.  :thumbsup:

interjecting something -

you were on .5 mg xanax before taking it 3 or more times a day

this is now 1.0 mg Klon to be taken 3 times a day

Is this correct?

interjecting something -

Is this correct?

Oh geez, I thought they were .50mg Klono but you may be right Annie.

LIB, do not take 1mg 3X/day, just take .50mg 3X/day. That should be plenty.

Just to reiterate Annie's question. Have you been taking 4.5mg xanax, or 4.5 pills at 0.5mg each?

1mg klon = 1mg xanax for the purposes of tapering according to most people in the know.   

If you were taking 4.5 xanax  pills at 0.5mg, that is equivalent to 2.25mg. If you take the 1mg klon pills 3 times a day the doctor prescribed, that would be 3mg. You should let him know you only want to take 2 pills a day, or 2.25 pills. That would be 2.25mg. 

interjecting something -

Is this correct?

yes this is correct.

interjecting something -

Is this correct?

IMO, you do not need to take that much klono! Most are prescribed 1.50mg per day at .50mg 3X/day!

yes this is correct.

Just to reiterate Annie's question. Have you been taking 4.5mg xanax, or 4.5 pills at 0.5mg each?

1mg klon = 1mg xanax for the purposes of tapering according to most people in the know.   

yes i had .5mg xanax pills.. which i took 4 times a day.

so that would be equal to 2 pills of klon at 1 mg each?

should i take one when i wake up and one when i goto sleep?

what schedule should i put myself on them to stabilize?

i get bad wd symptoms all mental. how much time should i allow between doses?

how long will i have to stabilize before considering titrating? alot of people have said when i start feeling stable. but how long does it usually take to stabilize? 1 week, 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

im sorry about my lack of knowledge and understanding this is difficult for me. i just want to do this the right way and not mess up and not have to repeat anything again. i just want off already. im like a child with pills now and dont know what to take how much of it.

you told me the other day you were taking 3 a day for your SOS taper request

which is it? 3 or 4?

whatever it is, use half pills and follow that for now. 

LIB,

If I were you, I would just take .50mg of Klono every 8 hours and see how you do in the next couple of days. After about a week stabilizing, you can consider tapering.

LIB,

If I were you, I would just take .50mg of Klono every 8 hours and see how you do in the next couple of days. After about a week stabilizing, you can consider tapering.

thanks so much t2 will give that a whirl and see how i feel you guys are so great to put up with me

Hi Lost,

you have been given great amount of advice in this thread. Stick to it, stabilize and then you'll start to taper and eventually beat the benzo habits, take care my friend.

Hi LostInBrooklin,

I just picked up your PM.

I'm still not 100% sure of your daily dose of Xanax or Klonopin, but most authorities rate Xanax and Klonopin of roughly equal in potency - so you should probably take the same amount of Klonopin as your were Xanax (daily dose, not pills, that is).

If your doctor has prescribed less than this, you will need to see you doctor again. If you doctor has prescribed more than 2mg per day, try giving him a call to discuss your dose. It might be that he too was confused about your previous dose of Xanax.

The majority of members take Klonopin three times per day. You could take 0.5mg four times a day if your daily dose is to be 2mg per day. You might be fine taking 1mg twice a day, but some people find that taking Klonopin twice-a-day results in them experiencing interdose withdrawal effects.

You should discuss any changes to your dose with your doctor. As Theresa indicated, it takes a little longer for Klonopin to build up to full blood levels compared with Xanax. I'd allow at least a week to stabilise your dose (and blood levels) before thinking about making cuts to your dose.

thanks collin t2 everyone else for their help. so im gonna take the 1 mg klono's and cut them in half and spread 4 out thru out the day . stabilize for a week and come back for a titration or taper schedule. most likely probably titration since i want it to be as exact as possible. dry cutting for me is a mess lol.