Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Question re: titration and w/d symptoms

[...]

If you are reducing every day, wouldn't this put you in a constant state of w/d sx?

Thanks!

Smaller cuts usually mean smaller w/d symptoms. It is usually a 1% cut everyday versus 10% every week or two.

Hi -

I started titration a couple weeks ago, it was going much better in terms of symptoms, then I boldly dropped .04mg instead of .01 mg and I CANNOT believe how terrible I felt.  I've been holding there for 10 days - more stable now and will restart titration tomorrow - I sure hope it goes like the fans of titration say it does.

Snow

my biggest fear would be having sx every single day.

right now, I may have a few days that are really awful after a cut, but at least I level out enough to function and catch my breath.

with my MS, I don't know if I could handle sx every day due to cutting back each day

i notice that w/d sx get my MS sx to flare up too. when this happens I totally fear coming out of remission.

thanks all!

I made a call to a compounding pharmacy in the city to see if they can't put my medication into a syrup somehow. They said that they could, but the doctor must approve it first. Not sure if the dr would get on board with that. I don't see him until end of April.

Hi Mia,

Making cuts in the order of 10% can be a strain. When our dose lowers, and we can no longer reliably make cuts as small as 10% or so, cuts can become unmanageable for some - they often chose to titrate instead. When making larger cuts, these tend to hit quite hard and a period of recovery is required - typically 1-2 weeks before a new cut. However, with titration, small cuts are made every or nearly every day. Typically, when titrating, you will experience general mild withdrawal symptoms; when pill-splitting cuts of about 10% (or more) you will experience more severe symptoms at the time (or soon after) of making the cut, and then gradually recovery.

Having a pharmacy make up (compound) a syrup is fine, but it will be to a particular concentration. If you are intending to make regular small cuts (as with titration), you will still need to monkey around with your syrup. Our titration method, in effect, gives you a new compounded dose every day, tailored to your needs. You cannot - in practical terms - have a pharmacy make up a new liquid (with a different concentration), every day or few days. Although it is perfectly doable, I doubt your doctor would play ball, and it would be expensive too!

Whatever method of withdrawal you choose, you are likely to experience withdrawal symptoms. If you feel pill-splitting better suits you, and the withdrawal symptoms are manageable, then pill-split away. It is about choosing what you feel best suits you and your circumstances.

Since you had a problem with your one doctor and needed to see another one to get more xanax, if you are thinking titration, then you need to get your doctor on board if the number of pills needed increases.  Right now with dry cuts you aren't throwing away parts of pills; with titration some of the liquid is usually discarded each day. 

I am not as good at this as Colin regarding total number of pills needed for a titration versus dry cuts.

Colin, Annie, I'm sorry I forgot to stop back by here!! Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Colin, you're right, it would cost alot for the compounding pharmacist to make the syrup, and it would be expensive for them to do it.