Trying to quit temazepam...

[Mi...]

Hey Mike,

Everything you have listed is on the list of benzo withdrawals. The following are from the Ashton Manual:

PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS

Headache

Pain/stiffness - (limbs, back, neck, teeth, jaw)

Tingling, numbness, altered sensation - (limbs, face, trunk)

Weakness ("jelly-legs")

Fatigue, influenza-like symptoms

Muscle twitches, jerks, tics, "electric shocks"

Tremor

Dizziness, light-headedness, poor balance

Blurred/double vision, sore or dry eyes

Tinnitus

Hypersensitivity - (light, sound, touch, taste, smell)

Gastrointestinal symptoms - (nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea,

constipation, pain, distension, difficulty swallowing)

Appetite/weight change

Dry mouth, metallic taste, unusual smell

Flushing/sweating/palpitations

Overbreathing

Urinary difficulties/menstrual difficulties

Skin rashes, itching

Fits (rare)

Sensory hypersensitivity. A characteristic feature of benzodiazepine withdrawal is a heightened sensitivity to all sensations - hearing, sight, touch, taste and smell. When extreme, these sensations can be disturbing. One lady had to stop all the clocks in the house because their ticking sounded unbearably loud; many have had to don dark glasses because ordinary light seemed dazzlingly bright. Some find that the skin and scalp becomes so sensitive that it feels as if insects are crawling over them. Heartbeats become audible and there may be a hissing or ringing sound in the ears (tinnitus - see below). Many people complain of a metallic taste in the mouth and several notice strange, unpleasant, smells which seem to emanate from the body. These sensations, including an unpleasant smell (which usually no-one else can detect) have been described in anxiety states in the absence of benzodiazepines. Like insomnia and panics, they are probably reflections of heightened activity in the central nervous system. Such hypervigilance is part of the normal fear and flight response which is damped down by benzodiazepines but undergoes a rebound during withdrawal.

These sensations return towards normal as withdrawal progresses, and some people are pleased with the new, seemingly extraordinary, clarity of their perceptions. Only in withdrawal do they realise how much their senses have been obscured by benzodiazepines. One lady described how thrilled she was when she could suddenly see individual blades of grass in her newly bright green lawn; it was like the lifting of a veil. Thus, these sensations need not give rise to fear; they can be viewed as signs of recovery.

Muscle symptoms. Benzodiazepines are efficient muscle relaxants and are used clinically for spastic conditions ranging from spinal cord disease or injury to the excruciating muscle spasms of tetanus or rabies. It is therefore not surprising that their discontinuation after long-term use is associated with a rebound increase in muscle tension. This rebound accounts for many of the symptoms observed in benzodiazepine withdrawal. Muscle stiffness affecting the limbs, back, neck and jaw are commonly reported, and the constant muscle tension probably accounts for the muscle pains which have a similar distribution. Headaches are usually of the "tension headache" type, due to contraction of muscles at the back of the neck, scalp and forehead - often described as a "tight band around the head". Pain in the jaw and teeth is probably due to involuntary jaw clenching, which often occurs unconsciously during sleep.

At the same time, the nerves to the muscles are hyperexcitable, leading to tremor, tics, jerks, spasm and twitching, and jumping at the smallest stimulus. All this constant activity contributes to a feeling of fatigue and weakness ("jelly-legs"). In addition, the muscles, especially the small muscles of the eye, are not well co-ordinated, which may lead to blurred or double vision or even eyelid spasms (blepharospasm).

None of these symptoms is harmful, and they need not be a cause of worry once they are understood. The muscle pain and stiffness is actually little different from what is regarded as normal after an unaccustomed bout of exercise, and would be positively expected, even by a well-trained athlete, after running a marathon.

There are many measures that will alleviate these symptoms, such as muscle stretching exercises as taught in most gyms, moderate exercise, hot baths, massage and general relaxation exercises. Such measures may give only temporary relief at first, but if practised regularly can speed the recovery of normal muscle tone - which will eventually occur spontaneously

Hang in there, Mike. These are all signals of recovery going on in your body!!

Lori :smitten:

Alright, an update.. I've been taking 20mgs now for a couple of days and it has made my tinnitus twice as bad. It's pretty much on the point of unbearable "want to rip my ears off my skull" kind of way. I tried using headphones instead of speakers and turned them all the way up, but just can't cover it with anything.  >:( I've been sleeping a little bit better, but it's still in small segments(2 hours at a time generally, 3-4 wake-ups per night) and I wake up tired. But at least it's not impossible to sleep at all or 20 hours at a time.. I've been getting daily headaches from this damned noise in my ears, I'll probably soon be addicted to painkillers as well at this rate.  :(

Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear about the tinnitus. I didn't have that until after I took my last benzo. It's not bad enough to keep me awake at night, but it's noticeable at times. For me, it's not as bad as some of my other withdrawal symptoms. Seems like we all suffer in different ways from these benzos!! Hopefully, the tinnitus will get better for you as you taper or after you are benzo free.....

Alright, an update.. I've been taking 20mgs now for a couple of days and it has made my tinnitus twice as bad. It's pretty much on the point of unbearable "want to rip my ears off my skull" kind of way. I tried using headphones instead of speakers and turned them all the way up, but just can't cover it with anything.  >:( I've been sleeping a little bit better, but it's still in small segments(2 hours at a time generally, 3-4 wake-ups per night) and I wake up tired. But at least it's not impossible to sleep at all or 20 hours at a time.. I've been getting daily headaches from this damned noise in my ears, I'll probably soon be addicted to painkillers as well at this rate.  :(

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus. I did not have that symptom but many have. Here is a link to a thread discussing it. I found it through a search in the upper right hand corner... http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=10815.0

Hope you find some relief soon!

T2 :smitten:

Thanks for that link, I ended up reading quite a bit about tinnitus. At the moment I'm keeping it in check by just making sure there's sound constantly, music/TV/Radio.. If it's silent, that's when it creeps up on me.

Anyway, I just noticed there was a bit of a miscalculation.. I only have temazepam for today left and the doctors appointment is on tuesday. Seems like I need to get there with oxazepam only. Here's for hoping it won't get too bad..

I had a doctors appointment yesterday and he decided to not renew my tenox prescription and instead said to take oxamin "since it's the same thing basically". And also wrote me Lamictal 25mg to be taken every morning. The oxamin kinda does make me feel better, somewhat.. mellow, even. The bad sides have been mostly subsiding recently. I haven't been as tired, still somewhat, but it's an improvement. And the tinnitus has been less intrusive. I hope it's not just the daily oxamin since saturday though.. That would probably just be temporary.

Hey Michael,

I'm a bit confused. :D Is tenox short for Temazepam and is oxamin short for Oxazepam? If so, are you cold turkeying off the rest of your tenox and just taking oxamin? Have you ever been on Lamictal before. I was on it for 5 years and it was very good. I tapered off it last summer, before I knew that the klonopin was the drug giving me all the problems. Glad to hear that your tinnitus is a bit better!

Hey Michael,

I'm a bit confused. :D Is tenox short for Temazepam and is oxamin short for Oxazepam? If so, are you cold turkeying off the rest of your tenox and just taking oxamin? Have you ever been on Lamictal before. I was on it for 5 years and it was very good. I tapered off it last summer, before I knew that the klonopin was the drug giving me all the problems. Glad to hear that your tinnitus is a bit better!

My name is Mike actually  ;)

Yes, sorry, I used the brand names, but I meant temazepam and oxazepam. And apparently, yes, I am c/t'ing from temazepam, since the doctor didn't give me any more of it. Only oxazepam. But I was down to 10mgs already, it hasn't been bad(..so far). Gradually getting better than I was when actually on the drug. I was on Lamictal for a couple of years, but I also stopped it because I thought it was the reason I was feeling so bad. Now I know it was the temazepam, so I am back on it.

Hey Mike (not Michael),

How have you been feeling since your cold turkey of the temazepam? Maybe by still being on the oxazepam, the symptoms won't be bad or there won't be any at all? Let us know when you can.

I was on 200mg a day of the Lamictal. Is your dr. planning on increasing the dose? I know you have to go up every 2 weeks and watch out for a rash of any kind!!

Take care...

Hi,

Yeah, it's going up 25mgs every 2 weeks. Probably to 200mgs again, not sure. I've been feeling quite a bit better now than before(when I was on temazepam). I'm still taking oxazepam daily.. It's probably what's making me tolerate it so well. I probably need to start tapering that off soon..  :sick: Though my sleeping is still erratic at best, just can't seem to keep it in check without the sleeping pills. I hope that'll pass.

But overall, it's been a vast improvement to what it was like when I joined.

Hi,

Yeah, it's going up 25mgs every 2 weeks. Probably to 200mgs again, not sure. I've been feeling quite a bit better now than before(when I was on temazepam). I'm still taking oxazepam daily.. It's probably what's making me tolerate it so well. I probably need to start tapering that off soon..  :sick: Though my sleeping is still erratic at best, just can't seem to keep it in check without the sleeping pills. I hope that'll pass.

But overall, it's been a vast improvement to what it was like when I joined.

Hey Mike,

Glad to hear that you are feeling better since off the temazepam! How much of the oxazepam are you still taking? When you are ready to taper, we can help you out with a schedule, if you want. Have you started having sleeping problems since taking the Lamictal or is this a long time thing? I am going thru a bit of a wave of insomnia right now and it can be frustrating not being able to fall/stay asleep. Makes for some longggg days! ;) Hopefully, this will pass for you as well and you won't need to take the sleeping pills. Thanks for the update on how you are doing. Take care....

Well the sleeping problems were the reason I was on temazepam to begin with. And it's not that I can't fall asleep, it's more like I can't fall asleep when I'm supposed to. If I try to sleep at night, no go, if I go to sleep after staying up the night, I fall asleep just fine. Eventhough the amount of waking hours is the same. I don't think it's the lamictal.

But another reason I came around again is that.. Well, before I started on temazepam I had these fits of rage for random reasons where I just lose control and basically "see red" and smash whatever is close to me at the moment. I've never hit anyone, it's always inanimate objects, but in my case those happen to be expensive equipment around me and I sometimes broke them. Anyway, these stopped pretty much after I started on temazepam, the last time I remember them happening is summer 2007 when I quit using all of my drugs for a few months during the summer because I didn't feel they were helping me. I restarted temazepam after a couple of months and I didn't really connect the 2, untill now. Just a few minutes ago I smashed my keyboard and mouse against a wall and threw a chair at it for good measure too. Then I got up so that I wouldn't be near anything expensive and instead hit a wall untill I ran out of steam, but now my knuckles are swollen and bleeding and my hand is pretty much still numb..

I'm hoping it was just random but.. But it hasn't happened at all when I was on the drug.. So.. I don't know. Just felt like getting it out there.

Hey Mike,

So, are you saying that you started on temazepam for your fits of rage? And the one you just described, is that the first one since you have stopped taking the temazepam? Do you have a dr. that you can talk to about this, like a psychologist? Do you feel better after you break things or punch things; does the anger pass?? I hope your hand will be okay....

No, it wasn't the reason, but it seems temazepam took care of it as a "side-effect". And yes, it's the first one since I stopped taking it. I have a doctors appointment next tuesday, I'll talk about it then. It passes once I "let it out", like hit the wall, hit my keyboard/mouse... =/

My father who also has a bipolar diagnose, his is quite a bit worse though, type I I believe, also had problems with these "fits" before his medication was corrected. I suppose it might be.. "in my blood".

Hey Mike,

Thanks for being honest and upfront about your anger. It does sound genetic from what you wrote about your father. I think it's definately something to discuss with your dr. next week. Does your dr. know about your background with this already? Maybe your dr. can tell you ways that you can "let it out" in other ways than breaking things or hurting yourself. Take care and know we are here for you if you want to vent....

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys, I just remembered I haven't posted here for a while. Anyway, I've now been off of benzos for nearly a month, and most of the bad stuff seems to have passed. The tinnitus comes and goes, but it has been getting better and better and I have been feeling a lot better than before overall. Thanks for all the comments and such. I mostly just lurked around, reading, didn't feel like writing, but it helped. So thanks  :)

Hey guys, I just remembered I haven't posted here for a while. Anyway, I've now been off of benzos for nearly a month, and most of the bad stuff seems to have passed. The tinnitus comes and goes, but it has been getting better and better and I have been feeling a lot better than before overall. Thanks for all the comments and such. I mostly just lurked around, reading, didn't feel like writing, but it helped. So thanks  :)

Thanks for letting everyone know how you are doing,Mike.  ;D  I'm sure the fact that you are feeling so much better will be encouraging to others who are tapering or still recovering.  :thumbsup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/beeper0002/BBuddies/3de3a8c41.gif

Hey Mike,

Congrats on being benzo free :yippee: :yippee: Very happy for you. I just read thru your thread again tho and it doesn't say a whole lot about how you were able to do this and how you are now feeling a lot better. I'm just wondering did you finish the taper off of the oxaz stuff and are you still on the Lamictal antidepressant? I'm always looking for something that could help me as I did a rapid taper off of many meds last yr. and am in a very hard place right now.

Hey Mike,

Congrats on being benzo free :yippee: :yippee: Very happy for you. I just read thru your thread again tho and it doesn't say a whole lot about how you were able to do this and how you are now feeling a lot better. I'm just wondering did you finish the taper off of the oxaz stuff and are you still on the Lamictal antidepressant? I'm always looking for something that could help me as I did a rapid taper off of many meds last yr. and am in a very hard place right now.

Hi. Well, for the "how" part.. Just toughed it out, I guess. I was extremely tired, everything was aching, I slept very erratically and in general just felt bad all day long, but I just kept lowering the doses anyway. It started feeling better when I got down to the last dozes.

As for the oxazepam, I dropped it pretty much CT after I got off the tenox. That made my tinnitus blow up and I was damn near to starting it up again, it was really just inches away from being unbearable. But in a couple of weeks, things started to calm down. The tinnitus is still there, but it's manageable now.

And yes, I am on lamictal still. It's up to 100mg(50 in the morning, 50 in the evening) now. But it's not exactly an antidepressant. It's an anticonvulsant drug for epilepsy that also works as a mood stabilizer for bipolar disorder(which is what I use it for).

It's hard to describe "how" exactly I feel better.. It's just a general feeling mostly, but also some visible signs. I sleep better now and I don't wake up feeling like I hadn't slept at all. I feel somewhat more energetic, I can concentrate on things longer and get stuff done. It's not up to what most people would call normal, but for me, after years of rock bottom, anything is an improvement and I take it gladly. My doctors believe I won't be able to work/study normally, it would just make me crash again, but hey, at least I don't have to lie on my sofa all day emptily staring somewhere and just waiting for the next day, over and over again, like it was before when I was on tenox and other crap medicine. “When life hands you lemons – you make lemonade.” eh..  :P

Good Deal Mike,

so glad you're outta the benzo hell and feeling better. I continue to search for something that's going to get me outta the hell I continue to suffer with after going almost c/t on so many meds. I hope I can feel like you one day :smitten: