Working while going through withdrawal

[az...]

Thanks Beeper! Wooohooo is right! Tonight is the first time in what seems like ages that I practically want to scream woohoo!! but don't want to scare the neighbors.  :laugh:

Hi everybody. Well, I knew on the 20th that the "high" feeling wouldn't last, I didn't want to go to bed that night because I sort of knew the inevitable crash would be following. And it did. Today is day 11 off the Klonopin, and although generally I feel better than I did while actually ON it, a few symptoms are really hitting me hard again. Trouble swallowing, feeling like my throat is closing up, small panic attacks, the acid reflux. Friday I worked by myself again for the first time in weeks. I'm now on my own again and I imagine it will be a while before I become readjusted to not having a "support system" riding with me all the time.

To compound things, I know that I have several cavities in my teeth that I have been ignoring. Today one of my teeth literally had a big chunk just break off. So, now I have no choice but to go to the dentist (which I hate doing). I'm not eating that much because I don't like all the swallowing issues, and now I'm trying to avoid having more tooth fall off!

I don't really know why, but I seem to get hit hardest in the afternoon and into the evening. I seem to make it OK for the first half of the day?

I know it's only been 11 days, and it will be probably at least 6 weeks (if not 6 months) before I really begin to notice solid improvement, but sometimes this snail's pace is SO MADDENING. I just want to hit the fast-forward button.  :tickedoff:

I hear you, azdamay.  I remember feeling so pleased when I was feeling good; it was more than disappointing to have symptoms hit again after I'd been so good.  :angel:  None of them lasted the way they did during withdrawal, though.  Weeks of jittery/nervousness was down to days or hours, for instance.  Try to let it roll off you as much as possible and keep your eyes on the road ahead - the one that's after you get those teeth attended to.  Man, I hate to go to the dentist.  >:(  I'm sorry you are going to have to get some work done so soon after quitting.  Maybe you can get him/her to give you nitrous oxide/laughing gas.  Seriously.  Ask.  I had it once and can highly recommend it, no pun intended.  :laugh:

Oh, I just assumed I would not take anything in the form of a benzo? I have only used a benzo once for dental work and that was while having oral surgery that was going to involve removing an impacted tooth, they gave me Valium to relax me ahead of time. Otherwise for other stuff I've just toughed it out with only local anaesthetic for pain in the past.

I left a message on the office answering machine and, to my surprise, his receptionist called me this evening (they're closed on weekends!) and asked if I could come in Tuesday morning. So at least I won't have to wait long before getting the bad news about how much work is needed to fix my teeth.  :laugh:

Right now the anxiety is the hardest side effect to deal with. The fact that I can make it about half a day feeling almost "normal" means the days are becoming a race to get home ASAP. I still have anxiety while at home, but it definitely is much higher while out.

Hi azdamay,

You will get longer windows soon.  The first 3 weeks post-benzo was the worst.  I had only very, very small windows during that time.  The good news is that it will get better soon.  You will still have blips but every month does get better.

Patty  xo

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick update to this thread, it is now 3 weeks off and I'm feeling better. Still not out of the woods by any means, but able to say without a doubt that I feel much better than I did just 3 weeks ago. So, hope for the next few months! About the time the weather gets nice and everyone is out enjoying the world again I hope to be feeling refreshed and ready for the world myself. Oh, and still working, in fact work is starting to get a little bit easier now... not planning on taking any time off unless I really need to.  :thumbsup:

Just a quick update to this thread, it is now 3 weeks off and I'm feeling better. Still not out of the woods by any means, but able to say without a doubt that I feel much better than I did just 3 weeks ago. So, hope for the next few months! About the time the weather gets nice and everyone is out enjoying the world again I hope to be feeling refreshed and ready for the world myself. Oh, and still working, in fact work is starting to get a little bit easier now... not planning on taking any time off unless I really need to.  :thumbsup:

So glad to hear that you feel better!!  :yippee:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/beeper0002/BBuddies/goodnews.gif  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/beeper0002/BBuddies/thumbsup.gif

Thanks you two! And I just got back from the dentist, I had that cavity filled (it was a really bad cavity, even he commented on it). I was nervous, but I could see the difference between how anxious I felt on the first visit, and that I was less anxious on this visit (where the work was actually being done). So that's good.  :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

I'm not working right now, which affords me to obsess about symptoms and the withdrawal all day long.  I'm scared crapless about having a job, as I feel like I would break down crying if any pressure was applied to me.

I'm trying to stay optimistic.  I'm even putting out feelers about teaching overseas.  I love teaching, and focusing on the kids helps the distraction.  I'd still be going through withdrawal if I took the job at the end of May.

I just don't know how the hell I'd make it all the way on a flight from the states to Taiwan!  What could knock me out?

What are your opinions of this?

Brian