Important Survey - Please Participate ×

want to start titration

[...]

Cal  :therethere:

In general you won't find many threads for people who titrated off any benzo because most people do okay dry cutting; finding some who specifically tapered off of ativan is even more of a challenge.  I feel compelled to point out, though, that everyone's experience in withdrawal is different.  I know it would make you feel better if you found one person who had done exactly what you are planning on doing and did well, but the only reason you would feel better is because of your belief that that means you will do well, too.  The good news is that it's the same for those who struggled; just because they did, doesn't mean you will.

From everything I've read, there is no better or smoother way to get off of a benzo than titrating the way you are doing.  I know of nothing unusual about ativan that would result in any different outcome from titrating another benzo, as Theresa2 is doing and others have done.  Instead of reading the "horror" stories, try reading the positive stuff and start reinforcing the thought that you will be fine, because you will. In my opinion, if you stay in a fear state, you are inviting symptoms like anxiety and insomnia.  Getting off benzos is at least as much a mental challenge as a physical one.  I'm just sayin'...  ;)

Thanks, T2, I wasn't clicking on "forum" first.  That made a HUGE difference.

Yes, Beeper, you are right.  If I could read about someone who did fine, then I would believe I would also do fine.  And as you pointed out the opposite would be true also.  Amazing how attitude really affects us :)

Now with another question:

Susposed to start titration today, but my supplies haven't arrived yet. I really want to cut because it has been 10 days since my last cut.  Physically, I've been ok and emotionally is much better so I think I am ready.

I don't want to totally cut out one dose because that would be a 33% cut and I know that would be too much.  My last cut was 25% and that one wasn't pretty :(  I read somewhere that sometimes people crush a dose and take 1/2 or 2/3 of the crushed powder.  I've been reading alot about titration and think I may just make a liquid dose out of the afternoon dose and pour off 1/3 of it, then drink the 2/3 that is left.  That way my cut would be just around 10%.  That would bring me to .125am/.0834 mid afternoon/.125 pm = .3334 mg a day approximately?  Sounds like it should be doable to me....but what do I know?

Of course that would mess up the wonderful titration schedule Colin worked so hard at making for me.  Sorry about that Colin...I just don't want to slow this down any more than I have to and I certainly don't want to go too fast either. 

What do you think about my "plan"?

Hi Cal,

You can do it the way you described - don't worry about the titration schedule I drew up.

In your shoes, I might be tempted to make a smaller cut - why not pour off a quarter or a fifth of the glass? Be sure to use a straight glass, and you might use a ruler to measure off the amount of liquid being disposed. You don't need need to be too uptight about this, but it would help to ensure better consitency in your dosing, rather than just eyeballing the amount of liquid being disposed.

Boy, Colin, you are so fast with a reply  THANKS!!!!  Someday I am going to give you a HUGE hug  :smitten:

I was going to measure with oz.  If I want to drink 2/3, I would mix it in 3 oz and pour off 1 oz and drink the 2 oz.  Or even as you suggest....use 4 oz pour off 3 oz and drink 1 oz.  That way it would be easier tomorrow to know what to do.  I am going to use my cut pill which is .125mg dose. 

Why do you suggest to do a smaller cut?  What I am proposing would be a 10% cut in 10 days.

Many, many thanks for your expertise :)

Boy, Colin, you are so fast with a reply  THANKS!!!!  Someday I am going to give you a HUGE hug   :smitten:

I was going to measure with oz.  If I want to drink 2/3, I would mix it in 3 oz and pour off 1 oz and drink the 2 oz.  Or even as you suggest....use 4 oz pour off 3 oz and drink 1 oz.  That way it would be easier tomorrow to know what to do.  I am going to use my cut pill which is .125mg dose. 

Why do you suggest to do a smaller cut?  What I am proposing would be a 10% cut in 10 days.

Many, many thanks for your expertise :)

Hi,

Smaller more frequent cuts are better tolerated the larger less frequent cuts.  Since you have been struggling with your cuts, why not make it easier for yourself!? If you make a smaller cut, you are likely to feel ready to make new cut sooner. The overall length of the taper might be similar, but the smaller more frequent cuts route should be smoother. ;)

It probably would better to rude the dose of one your larger doses. If possible, it is better to keep the size of your daily doses as similar as possible, unless you need a larger dose when going to bed, or in the morning, etc.

Just want to update this thread about my titration.

I started on 10/31/08 at 74 ml and I have been cutting at 2 ml a day.  So I am down to 66 ml today.  Not feeling very well and my sleep is really bad.

If I would have stayed on schedule, I would only be at 70ml today, but I felt so good and I just HAD to be agressive.  :idiot: So, because I'm not feeling well, should I go back up to where I should be, or just stay put for a few days?

Thanks,

Just want to update this thread about my titration.

I started on 10/31/08 at 74 ml and I have been cutting at 2 ml a day.  So I am down to 66 ml today.  Not feeling very well and my sleep is really bad.

If I would have stayed on schedule, I would only be at 70ml today, but I felt so good and I just HAD to be agressive.  :idiot: So, because I'm not feeling well, should I go back up to where I should be, or just stay put for a few days?

Thanks,

Hi CAL,

Your titration schedule was based on 10% over 10 days, this is what most people can handle. By you cutting 2ml per day, you would increase that to 20% over 10 days. You can try to ride this out or you could go back up to where you would have been at 70ml and wait until you stabilize again before continuing your taper.

T2 :smitten:

HI, CAL  ;D

I had a couple of months of feeling pretty good during my taper; it can be tempting to speed up and sometimes it works out okay.  Doesn't seem to be working for you at this time.  In general, I think it's best not to go backward if you can stand it.  In your shoes, I'd probably hold where you are until you were scheduled to reach 66ml and then reassess.  Just my opinion though.  ;)

Thanks for the responses.  I know what I did was pretty stupid, 20% is not very smart :(  When I did a 25% cut it hit hard and that was why I started titration.  I had to put this down on this thread so when I feel good again, i can be reminded so I  will just stay put and don't rush this  :-[

I'm going to try and hold where I am and see what happens.....lesson learned!

• 3 weeks later...

I was figuring today how many pills i have left to see if I'll need another script.  I am short by a few pills and don't want to get another script so i have a question.

When I get to 50 ml a day, can I divide my 100 ml into 2 days?  I'm guessing this will work, but want a little reassurance that it will.

Thanks again

I was figuring today how many pills i have left to see if I'll need another script.  I am short by a few pills and don't want to get another script so i have a question.

When I get to 50 ml a day, can I divide my 100 ml into 2 days?  I'm guessing this will work, but want a little reassurance that it will.

Thanks again

I used my 100ml for two days as I was titrating down from .25mg using a .50mg pill. It worked fine for me. Make sure you stir it well before pouring the 50ml out for the first day's dosing.

• 1 month later...

Need some more advice, please....

Now that I am down to lower doses...14ml and smaller....can I measure 2 days doses out of the 100ml mixture?

For example:  I will mix my .5mg tablet with 100ml of milk.  Instead of dividing this into 2 50ml doses and pouring off what I don't need. Can I remove what I need to take out of the 100ml instead of pouring off what I don't need? 

Does this make sense?????

Thanks

[d6...]

Yes Cal I did that in the beginning when I took 10 ml's a day

I would use it for about 3 days with the .5 pill and the 100ml's of milk

so that was 30ml's I used over 3 days