Important Survey - Please Participate ×

want to start titration

[...]

I am currently down to .375mg lorazapam and want to slow my taper.  My w/d s/x are getting worse and I feel if I slow down I will be able to tolerate this much better.

What info do you need to fix me up with a schedule?  And what supplies do I need to get?  And where?

Thanks for your help

CAL

Hi CAL,

You will need a measuring cylinder (we recommend 100ml with 1ml increments). I got mine at sciencestuff.com, I purchased a glass and plastic one in case the glass one broke. They are relatively inexpensive, it's the shipping that adds to the cost. It would be beneficial to pick up a 10ml syringe, I picked mine up at the Walmart pharmacy for 20 cents each. You can also purchase a pestle and mortar (a cup and the back of a spoon should suffice), and you will need to supply us with a taper rate and start date. Colin needs a few days to put together your schedule.

Most people around here taper at about 10% of their dose every 7-14 days. 10% over 10 days would be just right in the middle. But you need to decide what's best for you. We can always alter a taper rate later if need arises.

T2 :smitten:

Ok T2 Thanks for responding.

I will get the supplies.

I'd like to start Oct. 29th and over the 10 day schedule

Is that all you need?

Hi CAL,

Okay, I will let Colin know that you want to taper off .375mg of Ativan at 10% every 10 days starting October 29. What size tablets do you use?

Thank you,Colin, looking forward to looking it over...

I've just read the instructions for titration....

I am not a milk drinker, but I will use it if it is best. 

Does the benzo mix more evenly in milk than water???

Thanks, CAL

Thank you,Colin, looking forward to looking it over...

I've just read the instructions for titration....

I am not a milk drinker, but I will use it if it is best. 

Does the benzo mix more evenly in milk than water???

Thanks, CAL

Hi, CAL -

I think it's because benzos are not water soluble and will bind to the fat in the milk, making the dispersion more even. Some people use soy milk if dairy disagrees with you, but either way it's best to use the regular, full fat kind. 

Hi Cal,

Here's your titration schedule. Be sure to print it off.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-cal-2008-10-24.html

Add the following code to your signature:

[url=http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-cal-2008-10-24.html][u]My Titration Schedule[/u].[/url]

Full fat milk is probably the best, but people have reported good results using soy milk. If you decide to use water, be sure to grind up your pills into a fine powder, and keep the water agitated, particularly just prior to making measurements.

Each day, you will prepare (grind up) one whole 0.5mg my pill to 100ml of liquid, but drink just the amount indicated by the schedule.

Good luck.

Thank you very much Colin....

Of course I have a question  ???

I take a whole .5 mg pill, daily, crush it up, put it into 100 ml of milk, pour off the amount for the day that I don't want and drink the rest however i choose throughout the day (3x or whatever)...

I'm just guessing that I use the .5 mg pill but start off with only .74 because I am only taking 75% of the pill now, right?

Ok, if this is correct, then I think I've got it :)

Your great, Colin...which I could repay you somehow...any suggestions????

Yes, you have it! ;) The 74ml from the 100ml includes the first tiny cut to your dose.

You can repay me by continuing to be an active and supportive member to other Buddies. :)

I have been researching titration.  I like to be "well" informed when I start something new.  Of course, I didn't go that course when I got on benzos....:(

Anyway, anyone know what "dual" titration is and how it differs from what is explained on this board?

Thanks

I find distinctly odd that it is kept so secret. My best guess (and it really is a guess) is that it involves food supplements of some kind. Jana was a moderator here, and was convinced that better results might be obtained by controlling diet. I could be completely wrong though, and Dual Titration is something else entirely. If you find out what it is, let me know! ::):laugh:

I must be doing too much reading.....

Here is something else I found about titration....

It is not necessary to use milk. In fact, some benzos are neither soluble in fat nor water. Ativan is one of those. It is soluble in some alcohols and so must be compounded to have a liquid form.

What does this "must be compounded" mean?  I'm sure colin would have said something to me if titration doesn't work for Ativan because that is what I am tapering from....

Can you connect me with someone else who has titrated Ativan?

Can you tell I am nervous about this...very sorry :(

It is not necessary to use milk. In fact, some benzos are neither soluble in fat nor water. Ativan is one of those. It is soluble in some alcohols and so must be compounded to have a liquid form.

What does this "must be compounded" mean?  I'm sure colin would have said something to me if titration doesn't work for Ativan because that is what I am tapering from....

Hi CAL,

There are some here that have done a water/milk titration from Ativan. I don't think there is one currently active here now. You can type ativan titration in the search box in the upper right hand corner and read through the old threads. Although the benzos are not soluable in liquid per se, that is why you would crush them into a fine powder and mix well before dosing. I mix my solution up at night and I don't detect any grains in the solution, so I believe it dissolves to a point that it will be evenly distributed. I have had no problem with titration. Hope this helps ease your apprehension.

I'm uncertain if any benzos are technically soluble in milk. What I usually write is that the benzo powder seems to have an affinity for the fat globules in milk, and since fat is evenly distributed in homogenised milk, then the benzo powder seems to be more evenly distributed in homogenised full-fat milk. It still would be sensible to keep the milk agitated immediately before you make any measurements or pour off any unneeded liquid. People find that water works just fine too, but they probably need to take more care to ensure even distribution of the benzo powder (very fine powder, and keep the liquid very well agitated).

A compounding pharmacist will make up capsules to a specific strength. Or, make up a liquid with a suitable base to ensure 'suspension' of the benzo powder. This should be very accurate, and will ensure even distribution of the benzo powder. However, although it is easier to make smaller reductions to your dose when using a compounded liquid, it will not give the fine daily (or near daily) reductions that can be achieved using our titration method. At the same time, I am the first to admit that the fine reductions that our titration method offers is overkill for the vast majority of people. It is about making the best choice for yourself, and what options are available to you (some people cannot obtain compounded benzos, for example).

I'm sure we have some members that are titrating, or have titrated Ativan. Just search the threads on this board. I'll have a look using the search function (you can select a search of just this board).

Thank you T2 and Colin....I did the search before I posted my question before and didn't come up with much. 

Colin, the 2nd person you suggested I look into never did do the titration.  She continued to dry cut and I know that she is benzo freee and suffering.  I have been following her taper.

And the first person switched over the Klonopin, don't know what was decided and how she tapered.

Thanks for the answers, unfortunately, I am not any less anxious about this :(

Thank you T2 and Colin....I did the search before I posted my question before and didn't come up with much. 

Colin, the 2nd person you suggested I look into never did do the titration.  She continued to dry cut and I know that she is benzo freee and suffering.  I have been following her taper.

And the first person switched over the Klonopin, don't know what was decided and how she tapered.

Thanks for the answers, unfortunately, I am not any less anxious about this :(

CAL,

When I did a search, five pages of posts came up. Did you not find anything in those?

T2

Ok, T2...I typed in ativan titration in the search box, upper right.  Only came up with 1 page and most were my own posts.

You got 5 pages????

Ok, T2...I typed in ativan titration in the search box, upper right.   Only came up with 1 page and most were my own posts.

You got 5 pages????

Yes, I got 5 pages. Many of them are older but I think you should have access to them too. Make sure you click forum first then type in ativan titration and see iif that gives you anything more???? I did not read all of them, but will when I get a minute.