Important Survey - Please Participate ×

dizzy meds

[te...]

Hi all,

I've take .5mg/day for a couple of years and I started out reducing by 1ml/day for my first 60ml then I started a couple of weeks ago, reducing at a rate of about 1.25ml/day.  Since last night I have some pretty bad dizziness.  Do meds like Dramamine or meclizine help with this dizziness?  How long will it last? 

Thanks!

Hi all,

I've take .5mg/day for a couple of years and I started out reducing by 1ml/day for my first 60ml then I started a couple of weeks ago, reducing at a rate of about 1.25ml/day.  Since last night I have some pretty bad dizziness.  Do meds like Dramamine or meclizine help with this dizziness?  How long will it last? 

Thanks!

Hi tekksan,

You may want to consider going back to 1ml/day and see if that helps out the dizziness. Both Dramamine and Meclizine are in the antihistimine class of drugs so if you have no adverse reaction to that, you may want to try them until the dizziness eases up. No one can predict how long the dizziness will persist. Take care and hang in there. You're doing great!!

T2 :smitten:

While the following excerpt from the Ashton Manual are not specifically about dizziness, it seems related:

"Problems with balance. Some people during benzodiazepine withdrawal report feeling unsteady on their feet; sometimes they feel they are being pushed to one side or feel giddy, as if things were going round and round. An important organ in controlling motor stability and maintaining equilibrium is a part of the brain called the cerebellum. This organ is densely packed with GABA and benzodiazepine receptors (See Chapter I) and is a prime site of action of benzodiazepines. Excessive doses of benzodiazepines, like alcohol, cause unsteadiness of gait, slurred speech and general incoordination, including inability to walk in a straight line. It may take some time for the cerebellar systems to restabilise after benzodiazepine withdrawal and the symptoms can last until this process is complete. Exercises, such as standing on one leg, first with eyes open, then with eyes closed, can speed recovery."