Matt Samet's Video- Very inspiring

[re...]

• 3 weeks later...

This just scares the crap out of me. I got a feeling reading this that ´he is permanently damaged. Did I got the wrong? I dont understand how long he was in w/d, was it four years? can it be like that, then this is a evil joke.

Hi Henke

Matt took way more than a benzo  (Check out the list of drugs he was on)  and was detoxed way too fast.  His recovery time is not typical.  His story really is a "if he could fully heal we all will" story.

Your tag line sounds very similar to my history.  (A high dose of valium for over a year)  I'm almost 17 months off now and experiencing exponential healing.

I was very very ill one year ago and frightened that I had permanently damaged myself.  Now I am confident that I will fully recover.  Every week I am feeling better and better and  life is looking beautiful again.

Take comfort in the fact that even someone with Matt's extreme history fully recovered.  He just published a book on rock climbing and I've heard that he and his wife are either expecting or just had a new baby.

There is a wonderful life waiting on the other side.

Thank you so much for your reply Rebecca.

Im in a real bad wave I think, complete apathy, I feel somewhat autistic, if one could notice how that feels.

As it is for averyone, it is so hard to live this way not knowing when things will get better. Hard thing is that I had a window a couple of weeks ago, and felt great, now things is almost worse.

Just hard to accept.

• 2 years later...

"Four and a half years after my last benzo, and three plus change after my last psych med, I am not "better." This story was not text-messaged from Longs Peak after I climbed an eight-pitch 5.12 up the Diamond. No. I'm slumped over my computer, too tired, my fingers bloated and clumsy. On bad nights, I'll lie in bed and stare upward, waiting for dawn. At times, everything scares me. I feel an all-pervasive guilt about what I've put my friends and family through. "

This is not very encouraging. I'm starting to realize MOST people who get protracted withdrawal never really recover.

JC90, i look at it different, Matt did recover but became careless in regards to his Lifestyle.

once protracted people have recovered , they are still very sensitive and must

continue to eat healthy, get enough sleep, no too much coffee and so on.

its a warning which is good as far as i am concerned. :)

JC90, i look at it different, Matt did recover but became careless in regards to his Lifestyle.

once protracted people have recovered , they are still very sensitive

this is what I'm saying. it's a conditional recovery. he was never really able to indulge in his passions ever since coming off benzos, and that sensitivity stands as a testament to the fact that recovery never returns to a nervous system pre-benzo.

this is what I'm saying. it's a conditional recovery. he was never really able to indulge in his passions ever since coming off benzos, and that sensitivity stands as a testament to the fact that recovery never returns to a nervous system pre-benzo.

Hmm, i wish i could put a link.

have you seen the video by Ian Singleton from cepuk ? you get it if you google.

hes done a wd in the 80 i think. hes totally recovered now, but it took many years,

and by the way, matt became father after his wd, he married , he continued mountain

climbing and so on , he did indulge his passions but got careless.

you know i think even if we stay sensitive to a certain degree, we will be able to indulge our passions.

(what ever they may be ) much better than when we were on benzos.

of course the times of crazy party nights are over,but there is more to Life than that. ;)

JC90, you are still so young, i think if you work hard enough getting the anxiousness

under control, your life will be a good one.

your quote a Leopard won't change its spots is true, but you are not a Leopard

you are a human being , and your life will change for the better, i am sure. :)

Hi JC & Morroweg,

That was written in 2010, three (& change) years since he withdrew. He has since recovered fully. He writes some neat articles about many of his personal experiences on madinamerica's website, including a great article about "setbacks".

I have seen and read much here (& elsewhere) during my 19 months of tapering thus far, and I've come to firmly believe that recovery will always happen, given enough time :) Ian Singleton, referenced above, has worked as a recovery counselor for 20+ years since his recovery, and they now help 300+ people per year through withdrawal and post-wothdrawal recovery, and he says the exact same thing: recovery HAPPENS, there's no doubt about it :)  And, so does the other two counselors on cepuk.org's website (Bay Lissa and Melanie, both working with thousands of withdrawalers over the years).

We are healing, every day in every way :) Take care buddies,

Mrs. :smitten:

hes done a wd in the 80 i think. hes totally recovered now, but it took many years,

and by the way, matt became father after his wd, he married , he continued mountain

you know i think even if we stay sensitive to a certain degree, we will be able to indulge our passions.

of course the times of crazy party nights are over,but there is more to Life than that. ;)

JC90, you are still so young, i think if you work hard enough getting the anxiousness

Hi Morreweg

Here are the links to Ian and the advisors.

http://cepuk.org/recovery-stories/

http://cepuk.org/withdrawal-advisers/

Best

Woofs

JC

I also believe we all recover.  Matt apparently went back to habits that affected his brain...heavy caffeine, heavy stress and long hours.  Hard physical demands on his body.  Perhaps didn't watch his diet.  Pushed his limits, again.  But irregardless, he did have a set back. Which can and should worry us but it also sends us all a message...we must continue to protect ourselves from... Ourselves.  Matt might have needed more time to heal than he thought, no one knows. 

Baylissa has been recovered for over 9 years, has a full life and has not had any setbacks.  And her story is one of intense suffering and w/d sxs.  Read about her and others on cepuk.  Or on her Facebook page, Bloom in Wellness.  Very encouraging.  And Matt is living a full life once again, just wiser.  Many here on BB come back to speak of how well they are, better than ever and healed 100 percent.

I know while we suffer, our brain is full of benzo lies and fears, mine sure is, but you must believe you are healing, will heal but accept that we don't know how long that may take.  It's different for us all. 

Keep positive, and believe that our healing is happening, everyday we are free from the benzos.  But also remember that you are going through a very traumatic process and you are also growing older, your body is changing, working hard to heal.  Give it a chance to do so and change with it.  None of us can continue to do all the things we did when we were young.  That's not always a bad thing!  Best of luck and wishing you many windows.

:smitten:

Galea

Hi Morreweg

Here are the links to Ian and the advisors.

http://cepuk.org/recovery-stories/

http://cepuk.org/withdrawal-advisers/

Best

Woofs

Hi again Morreweg

I am sure the guy Henke on the first page who at that time of he's post in 2012 talks of been in a bad wave is now fully healed ?

I may be wrong but something is telling me that I read last year he was fully healed ?

Cheers

Woofs

JC90, i hope the links given by Woofs and Galieas post will give you confidence

that you will recocer , i hope so.

dear woofs, i am sure this guy Henke is doing fine now, he must be very young as well.

cheers, take care woofs, we will make it. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for bumping this because I really resonate with Matt's story. Even though I didn't use as many drugs for nearly the length as he did, he's still a young husband and father getting his life and passions back.

With most young healthy men there's this stigma of talking about "mental" issues as we secretly self medicate, be it with alcohol and drugs, so it's always inspiring to see a man you would assumingly admire just passing him on the street confess that he also struggles with mental health and benzos.

Just like a recovering alcoholic has to be aware of future relapses sue to carelessness the rest of their lives, we also have to be more aware and less careless. Just a fact of our current existence but doesn't mean we don't fully recover and will never live a healthy life again.

Thanks again for sharing!  :thumbsup:

We are more powerful than we believe we are. What a great writer.

Matt-

"I looked inside. I understood that accepting suffering — the withdrawal symptoms; any “suffering” caused by my own intrinsic internal darkness; and just the plain old suffering we encounter in life, from job loss to grief to financial hardship to physical illness — was going to be the only way to connect to the source, to see that there was nothing to be scared of.

Try this little experiment, to see how much power you actually have to shift your attitude toward discomfort. The next time a rainstorm comes through, do the completely counterintuitive thing and walk outside in a light T-shirt, no rain jacket, and just stand there letting yourself get wet. Your first thought will probably be either I’m freezing-cold and need to get back inside! or I need a raincoat! However, try this instead: tell yourself, All I’m feeling is a sensation — let’s call it “cold” or “wet” — and I can choose not to react or to feel anything at all. In fact, I’m not even cold; I feel nothing. I’m warm! I love the rain!

Notice what happens. Notice how much warmer and safer you suddenly feel. Deliberate inaction: let the raindrops wash over you. This is our world, where it rains sometimes and where we’re sometimes cold, but where such is also the natural order of things."