Baclofen for Benzo Withdrawal?

[Kr...]

I have been off of Klonopin for 3 weeks. Wow, what a horrible ride this has been. So, question -- I still have the "benzo flu" every night, and am sweating profusely, cannot sleep, etc. This is horrible. Has anyone use High Dose Baclofen to deal with Withdrawal?

Also, how long before before the benzo flu goes away? I've been on Klonopin for 12 years.

Hi Krsone1974,

How did you stop klonopin, cold turkey or taper? "benzo flu" is very common, it might take some time to feel better but know that it will pass. I haven't heard of Baclofen but you can type that in the search function for info on what others have said. Hopefully other will chime in soon.

I was going to go on Baclofen after being rapidly detoxed from Klonopin, but I read where it can cause similar withdrawals as benzos.  If it were me, I would stay away from it.  Here is an article on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baclofen

Withdrawal syndrome

Discontinuation of baclofen can be associated with a withdrawal syndrome which resembles benzodiazepine withdrawal and alcohol withdrawal. Withdrawal symptoms are more likely if baclofen is used for long periods of time (more than a couple of months) and can occur from low or high doses. The severity of baclofen withdrawal depends on the rate at which baclofen is discontinued. Thus to minimise baclofen withdrawal symptoms the dose should be tapered down slowly when discontinuing baclofen therapy. Abrupt withdrawal is more likely to result in severe withdrawal symptoms. Acute withdrawal symptoms can be stopped by recommencing baclofen.[13]

Withdrawal symptoms may include auditory hallucinations, visual hallucinations, tactile hallucinations, delusions, confusion, agitation, delirium, disorientation, fluctuation of consciousness, insomnia, dizziness, nausea, feeling faint, inattention, memory impairments, perceptual disturbances, pruritus/itching, anxiety, depersonalization, hypertonia, hyperthermia, formal thought disorder, psychosis, mania, mood disturbances, restlessness, and behavioral disturbances, tachycardia, seizures, tremors, autonomic dysfunction, hyperpyrexia, extreme muscle rigidity resembling neuroleptic malignant syndrome and rebound spasticity.[13][14]

Sincerely,

fg

I tapered down Klonopin for about 2 months, was down to .5mg once a week, and decide to make the final push off. I wake up every night  freezing, my bedding soaking from sweat. It's good to know this will go away soon.