Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Titration Schedule Needed for Estazolam(ProSom)

[ro...]

Hello All,

I believe that the best way for me to taper from Estazolam is to titrate. I am taking 2mg estazolam per day at night for insomnia. I believe that I would like to taper over a 90 day period. Does that sound like a fair amount of time? Could it be done quicker? I am currently experiencing tolerance withdrawl symptoms.  I will be using a 100ml cylinder and a 10mil syringe. I hope this is all of the information you need to help.

Thanks,

Robert

Hello All,

I believe that the best way for me to taper from Estazolam is to titrate. I am taking 2mg estazolam per day at night for insomnia. I believe that I would like to taper over a 90 day period. Does that sound like a fair amount of time? Could it be done quicker? I am currently experiencing tolerance withdrawl symptoms.  I will be using a 100ml cylinder and a 10mil syringe. I hope this is all of the information you need to help.

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Yes, 90 days sounds doable for this amount. 2mg estazolam is equivelant to 10 to 20mg valium for the purposes of tapering. Liquid titration is a good way to go.

Colin will make up a schedule for you. We just need to know what day you would like to start and what dose pills you have.

Also, what are the graduations on your 100ml cylinder?

I think that's all for now!

Linda,

I have not purchased the cylinder or syringe as of yet. I was planning on getting that tomorrow. Is there a place that you recommend to get the cylinder? How about a mortar and pestle?

Thanks,

Robert

Linda,

I have not purchased the cylinder or syringe as of yet. I was planning on getting that tomorrow. Is there a place that you recommend to get the cylinder? How about a mortar and pestle?

Thanks,

Robert

As I mentioned on your other thread, sciencestuff.com. They have glass and plastic cylinders. Colin recommends one of each in case the glass one is gets broken.

I was going to try to purchase locally to avoid shipping and time delay in starting taper.

Thanks so much for your help.

I wasn't able to find one locally, good luck! :thumbsup:

It is kinda funny. Sciencestuff is actually located here in my hometown of Austin, TX---but they do not have walk-in. They will have to ship it across town.

The cylinder will be 100ml with 1ml markings. Let's try a 70 day taper with titration changes daily if that sounds good. I am starting at 2mg of Estazolam. If you think 70 day is too quick then we could do 90.

Let me know. I would like to start Friday the 3rd.

Thanks,

Robert

OK--so here is all of the information for my titration schedule. I think I got it all this time.

The tablets are 2mg of Estazolam--My dose is one table at night for insomnia

I would like to taper over 90 days---let me know if you think this is too quick

My cylinder is 100ml with 1ml increments

I would like to start my taper on Friday 10/3 if possible.

Thanks,

Robert

No problem Colin. I have been on it for years. I do not do my dose until evening anyhow.

Get some sleep.

Thanks for alll you do.

Robert

Thanks Kel. I hope to start today. I am just waiting on my taper schedule. I look forward to starting it. :) I am a little anxious but I understand that is normal.

Thanks again. I will start a blog as soon as I get started.

:smitten:

Robert

Hi Robertotdr,

Sorry for the delay.

Grind up a whole 2mg tablet for your preparation. You will make up a total volume of 100ml every day, but drink just the amount indicated by the schedule. If you feel that taper is too fast, simply stabilise your dose for a while, and I will prepare a new schedule for you.

Your titration schedule: http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-robertotdr-2008-10-04.html

Place the following code in your signature:

[url=http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-robertotdr-2008-10-04.html][u]My Titration Schedule[/u][/url].

Please ask if you are unsure of anything.

Thank you Colin. I appreciate your help. Woohoo! Titration Taper starts today!!!!!!

Bye Bye Benzo :yippee:

See ya---One Day at a Time

Colin, I do have a question. If I am in tolerance withdrawl right now---which I believe I am---do you think it is possible to stabilize as I taper?

Hey, robert.  ;D

Glad you got your schedule. I know you are psyched to get started.

I'm going to take the liberty of answering your question to Colin since he is a very busy guy these days. From my own experience, withdrawal symptoms waxed and waned throughout my taper and thereafter (so far). There's no predicting it but titrating is the best way to avoid the worst symptoms IMO.

Colin posted the following about tolerance and relative tolerance (what you seem to be experiencing) a little while back:

A Few Notes Concerning Tolerance

We regularly come across misinformation concerning tolerance. You should understand the following:

'Tolerance' occurs when your GABA (benzo) receptors have down-regulated in response to regular use of benzos. Put simply, your benzos will no longer deliver the therapeutic effects they did before you become tolerant. Only by increasing your dose might the effects of tolerance be counteracted. However, you are highly likely to become tolerant of the new dose - so starts a vicious circle of escalating benzo use. Since this is completely counter to our stated mission, in our opinion, the only sensible solution is to taper off at a sensible rate, and allow enough time for your GABA system to recover and regulate itself properly.

The longer you take benzodiazepines, the greater the chance that you will develop tolerance. Most people develop tolerance, and it is a gradual process. For some, this may occur and develop very rapidly, within a few weeks of their first dose. It is probably easier and wiser to taper off benzos before developing tolerance, and particularly before developing 'Tolerance Withdrawal' symptoms - we prefer the term Relative Withdrawal.

Relative (tolerance) Withdrawal refers to withdrawal effects that some people experience once they have become tolerant of their benzodiazepines. Although they are not reducing their dose, they nevertheless experience withdrawal-type symptoms. As with 'tolerance', increasing their dose might alleviate the symptoms, but they are likely to become again tolerant of the increased dose. The only good solution is to taper off at a sensible rate and allow enough time for the GABA system to recover. We should point out that only a small number of people develop Relative Withdrawal symptoms.

A popular myth is that Relative Withdrawal is dose-specific. In fact, only an increase in dose might alleviate symptoms; a decrease in dose cannot! The longer you stay on benzodiazepines (whether or not you have started your taper), the more likely you are to develop Relative Withdrawal symptoms. For this reason, it is better to taper off sooner rather than later. It is sometimes said of Relative Withdrawal that by staying at a particular dose for too long, you will develop 'Relative Withdrawal' effects to this specific dose, whereas if you were instead tapering, this would not occur - this not how Relative Withdrawal occurs! Whilst it is true that by stretching out your taper longer than necessary you might increase your chances of developing Relative Withdrawal symptoms, it is not the result of you sticking at a particular dose for too long. Rather, it is the result of protracted use of benzos, whether or not you are withdrawing at the time, which can lead to Relative Withdrawal symptoms.

Often, when people have hit a rough patch in their withdrawal taper they are mistakenly advised that they have developed tolerance, and must cut, to resolve the problem. As already discussed, a cut in dosage cannot alleviate Tolerance or Relative Withdrawal effects. People hit rough patches in their withdrawal for a variety of reasons. Mostly, this is the result of unpredictable withdrawal patterns that are best tackled by a short stabilisation of dose before continuing with the taper. Sometimes, it is the result of tapering too quickly, and similarly, a short period of stabilisation of dose is all that is required. In these situations, a reduction in dosage would only increase withdrawal symptoms. Of course, this should be avoided!

If you are unfortunate enough to develop Relative Withdrawal symptoms, you will not gain relief through stabilising your dose. If you experience withdrawal symptoms before starting your taper - that is to say, Relative Withdrawal symptoms - all you can do is withdraw at a sensible taper rate. If once you have started your taper you then develop withdrawal symptoms, it can be difficult to determine if you are suffering withdrawal symptoms because your withdrawal is too rapid, or if it is the result of developing Relative Withdrawal. If you experience no relief after stabilising your dose for some time, you have probably developed Relative Withdrawal symptoms. In this unfortunate situation, all you can do is continue to taper off at a reasonable and tolerable rate.

THanks  Colin and Beeper. I appreciate your help. Thanks again for all you do. :)

I did a practice run on the crushing and mixing, etc last night. It will take a little time to get use to it.  :)

Robert

Hey Robert,

Well you're off and running. I'll be wishing you well and looking forward to you progress. That great attitude of yours will get you far! :thumbsup: Kel