Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Interesting explanation on insomnia

[mr...]

I still could not find any mention of D's effects fading.

I believe this to be impossible because D is a hormone and hormones effect every part of the body.

Well, that's what she said. You are welcome to challenge her. There is a feedback form on her website.

I don't have to challenge her because she never said it any of her documentation or videos that I have seen.

This idea is from you with no references.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mr...]

• [Wo...]

• [...]

• [ma...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have to challenge her because she never said it any of her documentation or videos that I have seen.

This idea is from you with no references.

I gave you a reference!!!

http://drgominak.com/sleep/

In fact, I can't think of a better reference. This lady is the foremost expert on this subject and you seem to really like her. So if she recommends taking B vitamins I'm not sure why you are getting all snippy about it.

Var­i­ous authors have sug­gested we eat “pro­bi­otic bac­te­ria” or even, more extreme mea­sures such as fecal trans­plants (poop from one per­son given as an enema to another per­son to implant the “right” bac­te­ria). I think that if a 3month old baby has per­fect poop bac­te­ria and we don’t feed them poop then the prob­lem is not the sup­ply. The bac­te­ria in our colon appar­ently get in there eas­ily, from sources all around us, they want to be in there. But if they aren’t in the right pop­u­la­tion mix through­out the gut it appears that just vit­a­min D replace­ment alone does not bring them back to their nor­mal, healthy state. My expe­ri­ence has been that in order to have the “happy, help­ful” bac­te­ria grow back they appear to need the proper amount of vit­a­min D plus larger doses of B vit­a­mins for about 3 months. At three to four months tak­ing larger doses of B vit­a­mins appears to make the sleep worse again, sug­gest­ing that the B’s are being pro­duced nor­mally by the intesti­nal bac­te­ria and we’re adding to that with our pills. I am cur­rently rec­om­mend­ing to my patients that when they start D they also take B –50 ( all 8 B vit­a­mins, 50 mg each) for three months then stop the B 50 and just con­tinue their mul­ti­vi­t­a­min. I’ve had excel­lent suc­cess with irri­ta­ble bowel symp­toms using this technique.

THAT is the "fix" she spoke about in the email to me.

Here is the complete email conversation I had with her. If you want to ignore this lady go right ahead. Matters not to me.

Stasha Gominak xxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com

Mar 20

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx, Craig

As far as I know I'm the only one who sat here with my patients over the last 4 years and asked "how are you feeling/", "how are you sleeping?" then did the level. One question is "what should my level be so I don't get very sick/", which would be 40-60. But the second question is "what if I'm all screwed up and can't get better and I want to get my sleep as perfect as possible to actually reverse my "screwed-up ness" . That requires a different level. I started with daily headache sufferers and they can still tell the difference between a level of 57 and 60 and 79 and 82. It is amazingly consistent over the last four years. People who aren't sick and have never been sick will not be able to tell the difference and people who are better over several years (and get the B 50 fix) seem to stay better and put up with wider D swings without their sleep falling apart. The D fix by itself does not last it fades at the end of two years.

Your first question is a very good one and it beats me, brain washing I suspect, it seems perfectly logical once you learn about it. I have a heck of a time talking to my colleagues, but I have planted this idea with several of the sleep researchers over the last 3 years so you will start to see blinded studies in the next few years. The hard part is doing the study correctly. We are just starting to see MS trials that look at the D blood level not the dose. The one NIH funded vitamin D sleep study trial was designed to give 400,000 IU as a single dose, not a good thing to do!

Stasha Gominak

To: xxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com

Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:55 AM

Subject: D Research

Subject: D Research

Message Body:

Your videos and documents have had a profound effect on me. I am curious, though, as to why no other researchers are actively investigating the link between D and sleep. Part of rigorous scientific research is independent external verification. Why are you the only one? Is it because D is cheap and non-patentable and therefore research funding is scarce? Also, the Vitamin D council says that 40-60 is the proper range but you advocate for 60-80. My level is 44. I'm upping my supplementation to get within your range but am mildly concerned that the numbers are at odds.

Thanks!

Craig

WD,

I am not getting snippy.

I cannot confront someone that I had never heard or seen demonstrate vitamin D fading after 2 years.

Thank you for the context of the entire email and I think I understand what she is saying.

She is saying that the vitamin D fix for people with insomnia that have daily headaches may only work for the insomnia for only 2 years IF they don't add the B 50 fix.

I have sleep apnea and used to get up to pee 5 times per night. Once I got my D levels into optimum, I have never gotten up to pee again during the night and I have been keeping my D levels up for the past 4 years.

Also, I don't have daily headaches nor do I take B vitamins.

I don't think having headaches is necessarily related to having to take the B vitamins. She seems to be stating that if you were deficient in D then you are probably deficient in B and that you need to address the B with the D for the first 3 months. Now, I'm not sure what her logic is for the D stopping working after 2 years. She hasn't provided any reasoning for that. But she did state it in the email to me and I trust her on this subject more than anyone else. I would like to better understand that aspect of her statement.

Here is some interesting B-related information found elsewhere on her site...

B12 defi­ciency and iron defi­ciency are com­mon sec­ondary defi­cien­cies that also affect sleep. Vit­a­min B 12 defi­ciency results because there are Vit­a­min D recep­tors in the stom­ach cells that make “intrin­sic fac­tor”. Intrin­sic fac­tor is the chem­i­cal that binds to B 12 in our diet and allows us to absorb it. When the D is so low that the intrin­sic fac­tor pro­duc­tion also becomes low we are less able to absorb B12 from our food. I believe B12 also helps pro­duce nor­mal sleep. Iron is a cofac­tor in mak­ing dopamine, one of the chem­i­cals that runs the tim­ing and paral­y­sis of sleep, so when D, B12 and iron defi­ciency all exist together the sleep becomes espe­cially bad. Those two addi­tional defi­cien­cies usu­ally mean that the D has been low for many years. Ask your doc­tor to check your B12 and iron level when you check the D for the first time. The B12 level for nor­mal sleep is above 500. (Again you want to know the num­ber). If the B12 blood level is below 500 I rec­om­mend a pill of B12 of 1000 mcg/day. Shots are not bet­ter than the pills and it will be absorbed as long as the D dose is increased at the same time.

Do our B vit­a­mins really come from our poop?

It’s impor­tant to know that 7/8 of the B vit­a­mins that we need daily are sup­plied by our intesti­nal bac­te­ria. This allowed humans and other ani­mals to go sev­eral weeks with­out food, because they car­ried with them an inter­nal store of the B vit­a­mins. The B vit­a­mins are not stored, they are very short act­ing and elim­i­nated within 1–2 days but we need them daily for proper cel­lu­lar actions through­out the body. There­fore, it is pos­si­ble that when the nor­mal colonic bac­te­ria die off we might become low in some of the B vit­a­mins, despite eat­ing a good diet. If you have pain, arthri­tis, irri­ta­ble bowel, or burn­ing in the hands or feet you may have pan­tothenic acid (B5) defi­ciency. I believe this sec­ondary defi­ciency devel­ops after many years of D defi­ciency because our intesti­nal bac­te­r­ial pop­u­la­tions change. Our intesti­nal bac­te­ria need our vit­a­min D to thrive. They use the D that we make on our skin, passed down to them in the bile. When they don’t get enough D to sur­vive, other species of bac­te­ria begin to dom­i­nate the gut. ( See The Econ­o­mist mag­a­zine August 18, 2012 “The human micro­biome: Me myself, us” to learn about the epi­demic of the “wrong” colonic bac­te­ria and how this change in our colonic organ­isms may be con­tribut­ing to mul­ti­ple dis­eases that are epi­demic today.) A nor­mal daily sup­ply of pan­tothenic acid pro­duced by the gut bac­te­ria, appears to be nec­es­sary for nor­mal sleep. If you feel this refers to you do not take large doses of the indi­vid­ual B vit­a­mins, take B-50 (B com­plex that has 50 mg of each of the 8 B vit­a­mins) daily but only for 3 months. Sup­ply­ing enough D and B com­plex vit­a­mins together allows the “right bac­te­ria” to grow back in the gut. For most peo­ple it takes 3 months. AFTER 3 MONTHS, when the intesti­nal bac­te­ria are mak­ing the B vit­a­mins again we need to STOP THE B 50, as large doses of pan­tothenic acid appear to dis­rupt the sleep and will keep you from get­ting bet­ter. As soon as your bac­te­ria are mak­ing the B’s in the right daily doses your body is receiv­ing a dou­ble dose so the pill needs to stop.

http://drgominak.com/vitamin-d-3/

Hi WD,

Thanks for finding that info.

It makes sense that if your D is low, the B vitamins might not be created by the gut.

Also, if taking the D and not getting enuf B vitamins, would cause the insomnia to return due to the lack of proper B vitamins created by the gut bacteria.

Is this what you and Dr Gominak are referring to?

I would think it is possible to take D and not have proper gut bacteria creating the B's especially for vegans and vegetarians or long term D deficiency.

I would think it is possible to take D and not have proper gut bacteria creating the B's especially for vegans and vegetarians.

Or for people like me who are very stressed and extremely physically active. The stress depletes the B and the exercise sweats it out. I think I will continue to take the B beyond the three months for that reason.

I'm not clear on why she would say that the D would fade after two years. I would like to better understand that. I just think that because she said it that it is worth consideration.

I would think it is possible to take D and not have proper gut bacteria creating the B's especially for vegans and vegetarians.

Or for people like me who are very stressed and extremely physically active. The stress depletes the B and the exercise sweats it out. I think I will continue to take the B beyond the three months for that reason.

I'm not clear on why she would say that the D would fade after two years. I would like to better understand that. I just think that because she said it that it is worth consideration.

Hi WD,

Are you going to email her to elaborate?

If you do, please post it here for everyone.

Hi WD,

I emailed Dr Gominak asking about if vitamin D fix fades if not adding B50 for a few months.

I will let you know if she responds.

Hi WD,

I emailed Dr Gominak asking about if vitamin D fix fades if not adding B50 for a few months.

Awesome! I was a bit leery to contact her again as I was flattered she even responded the first time.

Hi WD,

Here is some really good research info from grassrootshealth.net on D levels and disease prevention.

http://www.grassrootshealth.net/media/download/dip_with_numbers_8-24-12.pdf

Carol Bagerly has funded this org for researching the effects of vitamin D.

http://www.grassrootshealth.net/

The also, recommend 40-60ng/mL, but Dr Gominak found that when people are sick with migraines or body aches, 60-80 was the sweet spot.

She says that if her patient's levels go above 80, they get their headaches or body pains back.

The medical range goes up to 100 because life guards will sometimes have levels this high and our body will stop producing vitamin D when we don't need anymore.

Hi WD,

Awesome! I was a bit leery to contact her again as I was flattered she even responded the first time.

Hi WD,

I got the response back from Dr Gominak.

Subject: Vitamin D and B50 fix

Message Body:

Hi Dr Gominak,

Thank you for all your work on Vitamin D.

A friend told me that you mentioned that the vitamin D fix will fade after 2 years if you don't add B50 for a few months.

Is this correct or is there something missing?

Response:

That is correct, please read the vitamin D section on my website to the end I tell you what my experience is with just using D by itself, it fades after 2 years. Also look at the second video "sleep 202 " just part 5 I take you through what happened to me and to my patients after 2 years and why I think D plus b50 regenerates our intestinal bacterial populations so they can make the proper B doses for us daily.

Stasha

I found her explanation a bit erratic and unconvincing. It seems to be mostly empirical as opposed to logical. But I'll still take the B-50 :)

I found her explanation a bit erratic and unconvincing. It seems to be mostly empirical as opposed to logical. But I'll still take the B-50 :)

I will have to watch the video again because I swear she said that the b50 was for ibs and if you take the b50 and have no improvements, you don't need it.

Only take it for 2 months and stop.

I am doing it with my mom too.

Good luck wd, at the very least, the D will keep u from getting sick.

I have personally seen some amazing improvements with autoimmune diseases, infections and cancer with getting vitamin D levels into the optimum range.

Here is the latest part 5 video where she explains how some people need the B50 with the D to solve ibs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhe-O4LoSdE

• 4 weeks later...
[94...]

Thanks for posting this. It's interesting she said thin, younger women can get sleep apnea because I am 110 lbs at most and my partners over the years have said I snored. I thought it was unbelievable at first. I am going to ask my doctor for a sleep study, also just found a little app SnoreLab to record snoring so we'll see!

I helped someone get a sleep study and he got a cpap. It changed his life. My step father too which is where I learned about it.

• 1 year later...

Regarding that article about magnesium - what exactly is it saying, that magnesium has an anti-anxiety effect on the benzo receptors? Wouldn't that be considered a good thing?

Regarding that article about magnesium - what exactly is it saying, that magnesium has an anti-anxiety effect on the benzo receptors? Wouldn't that be considered a good thing?

I believe magnesium is absolutely essential for helping with anxiety.

Anxiety can come from the liver being congested and magnesium helps relax all the bile ducts.

This is an old thread, but I find the information quite interesting. I know I have a much easier time with insomnia in the summer, when I am working outside a lot. Winter is always very challenging and I find I crave the sunlight (I'm sure melatonin production and circadian rhythm disruption is also part of the equation). I wonder if using a tanning bed once in a while (say once a week?) would be helpful. I can't afford to go to Hawaii every winter!

This is an old thread, but I find the information quite interesting. I know I have a much easier time with insomnia in the summer, when I am working outside a lot. Winter is always very challenging and I find I crave the sunlight (I'm sure melatonin production and circadian rhythm disruption is also part of the equation). I wonder if using a tanning bed once in a while (say once a week?) would be helpful. I can't afford to go to Hawaii every winter!

Tanning will work, but you will need to see how much will get your D levels into the optimum range of 60-80ng/mL.

I watched all these videos and researched the website yesterday. I was so excited that it would help me. I went out and bought 10,000 units of vitamin D and took it. I am now going on 12 hours of nasty, amplified withdrawal symptoms - please be careful with this stuff!

I watched all these videos and researched the website yesterday. I was so excited that it would help me. I went out and bought 10,000 units of vitamin D and took it. I am now going on 12 hours of nasty, amplified withdrawal symptoms - please be careful with this stuff!

It takes time for sleep to correct especially, while going thru benzo withdrawal.

Vitamin D is necessary for life and our immune function.

Psych meds depelete our vitamin D, so it is essential.

I have never seen any of my friends or mom suffer more benzo symptoms just because they are taking vitamin D.

Benzo symptoms have no pattern that anyone has found that proves any nutritional requirement makes them worse.

However, if supplementing, it is always best to get your D levels tested every 3-6 months and the optimum range found by Dr Gominak in her studies is 60-80ng/mL.

If it wasn't for keeping my mom's D levels in the optimum range, she would have probably died from infections.

Sleep is truly complex and is controlled by many factors. Way back I also consulted with a sleep doc, however I chose natural ways to treat My insomnia and have had some success. So many things can affect sleep thank for posting these links Im sure they will be of much help to the many who suffer from insomnia and remember the internet is an ocean full of free information on this subject.