• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Li...]

• [Be...]

• [Th...]

• [Co...]

Boy this is difficult.  I had no idea withdrawal would be like this.

Having to take 25mg of Vistaril in the morning just to take the edge off of the anxiety. Hope I don't have to do that much longer.  Feel jittery and my movements are sometimes jerky/shaky. Joints hurt and are sensitive. Tingles in left hand. Hard for me to concentrate. Not very much has changed in the last three days or so, and that worries me.

I'm having to go to work like this, and while the staff generally knows about my condition, there are still a lot of expectations I have to meet, and feeling this bad makes that almost impossible at times.  No one quite understands, and I don't either, in some ways.

Still trying to stuff my face with something every couple of hours. My body feels weak and I hate that. Folks, what else can I do to help myself?  When will I start feeling better?

Hi LV,

I read you first post and you mentioned that you were on a powerful sleep aid, can you tell me what that is and how long you have taking that? Just want to make sure we are seeing your whole picture.

T2 :smitten:

It's Xyrem... I've taken it for alpha wave intrusion for about 2 years with no side effects I'm aware of.  I've been taking 3.5g for the first dose, then wake up 4 hours later and take 2.5g. Normally I'd take 3.25/2.25, but needed a bit extra during this time. It's still a fairly low dose, and has an extremely short half life.  Was just trying to start getting off of it when all this health craziness happened.  Now it's been a lifesaver when I'm sure I wouldn't be able to sleep normally.

Heart's beating like crazy again... I do hope this passes soon.

It's Xyrem... I've taken it for alpha wave intrusion for about 2 years with no side effects I'm aware of.  I've been taking 3.5g for the first dose, then wake up 4 hours later and take 2.5g. Normally I'd take 3.25/2.25, but needed a bit extra during this time. It's still a fairly low dose, and has an extremely short half life.  Was just trying to start getting off of it when all this health craziness happened.  Now it's been a lifesaver when I'm sure I wouldn't be able to sleep normally.

Heart's beating like crazy again... I do hope this passes soon.

Hi LV,

I am hoping you feel better soon, too! :smitten:  Maybe others have had experience with xyrem, I am not familar with it.

If anyone has tips on how to deal with these heart palpitations, I'd love some. It's just ridiculous, I sit here and my heart beats like crazy. Deep breathing doesn't seem to help much, and I don't want to take another beta blocker.

It can't be good for my heart to keep doing this every day.  My body apparently wants to be anxious. How can I force it to relax?

Sorry for all the whining on here... I just feel like I have way too many things wrong with me and just want to get back to normal.

Me again, and I'm ticked.

Just spoke with my doctor, and he's totally upset with me because I won't do the heart monitor and don't want to see a psychiatrist. I tried to explain about withdrawal, and that I know my body, and he nearly hit the roof.  Even tried to get him to look up the Ashton Manual.  Guess I insulted his intelligence.

He just doesn't understand it.  Says there's no way I can be in withdrawal still, and that I'm just conjuring up these symptoms with anxiety. I did agree that if my heart didn't get better soon I'd do the monitor just to appease him.  But rapid heartbeat or palpitations are certainly withdrawal symptoms, and nothing I've had before while not on Ativan. I had a heart monitor, echo test, ekg and other tests while in the hospital less than a month ago, an ekg just a few days ago and my heart was in fine condition.

Also, the palps have gone away for a few, it seems, thankfully.

It's just so aggravating to be misunderstood... they feel they can't help me, and I feel they can't either. Everyone is different, and reacts to medicine differently.  He won't even CONSIDER that it's still withdrawal. I'm still having little muscle issues, sharp little nerve pains, tingles and such.  I guess I must be making that happen too. Joints hurt as well, which I have considered could be nutrition and not withdrawal but will have to see.  Like all of you have said, it's only been a week, and presumably things will get better. Hopefully sooner than later.

Anyone else have this problem with doctors?  I don't know how to get through to him.  Heck, even if I get better he probably still won't change his mind. Jeez.

Hi Violet,

Although I agree that your symptoms are probably due to withdrawal (such symptoms are regularly reported here), in the same way that your doctor will not counternance that your symptoms could be due to withdrawal, you not accepting that your symptoms might have other causes in unwise too. I only tell you this as a precaution, and it is what I would tell anyone else that is tapering. We should always have your symptoms checked out by a dcotor, just in case.

One advantage to accepting your doctor's advice is that when the tests come back negative, he might be more accepting of benzo withdrawal being the cause and that withdrawal effects can last for some months. Think of it as training your doctor! :laugh:

Think of it as training your doctor! :laugh:

Come to think of it, a doc's business is called a "practice".  ;)

LV, I would say most people here see disbelieving doctors.  Mine humors me but obviously thinks it is all psychological.  That being said, I'm beginning to wonder myself if the rapid heart beat is all w/d given your short history and low dose.  Keep working on keeping the anxiety at bay through breathing, meditation and accepting your feelings. That will go a long way towards keeping your symptoms at a minimum IMO.

Point taken.  If my heart isn't improved by Monday, I'll call and get the monitor.  Seems a silly expense, but like you said, it might make some sort of difference. Of course, he may just say then that it proves it's anxiety.  A seven hour anxiety attack, yeah right. Heart feels better for the moment, anyway, so that's good.

Maybe taking the beta blocker, though needed, or my sleep medicine, could contribute to the heart issue, since coming off of those could rev up your system in some way? 

Yeah, and I tried to explain that for some effects can last for a longer length of time and he just completely dismissed it.  I'm hoping mine are gone in a week or two though... according to you folks I'm not likely to have a long withdrawal, if my understanding is correct.

One more side note... I somehow came across an older posting from a user called Skaman.  He described his heart issue in this thread:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=3165.msg27902

That's like what I'm having.  Doesn't have to be anxiety... any activity or excitement, even temperature change, can get my heart going.  It's like it's too sensitive.

Couldn't find a resolution to his problems though. Anyone know what happened to him?  I hope it went away for him, and will for me too!

He hasn't logged onto the forum for the best part of three years. In any case, you should not associate what happened to him with you. Additionally, as you point out, he did not report back with how things worked out.

Mom's home and doing very well.  Sipping the fluids and foods she can have, walking all over their house.  She's pretty independent and strong willed, so she's going to do just fine!

My rapid heartbeat went away yesterday evening, but came back this morning.  My body feels better though, my walking and joint pain has improved.  Hoping the heart issue leaves soon too, that's my biggest obstacle at the moment... hard to feel good when it's going fast and your whole chest feels like it's shaking. Still tingles in my left hand, with still a little nerve pain here and there. Mentally I feel pretty darn good, considering the circumstances.

Wishing I could be more active, but in trying to gain weight and a sensitive heart I can't do much at the moment.  Housework takes enough out of me.  My last doc said that I may need to recondition my heart as well (in addition to having this withdrawal issue), since I've lost weight and been more sedentary the last two months.

Hopefully finally going back to yoga this week, which I couldn't do because of the muscle tightness and joint pain. That should certainly help as well.  Let's just pray the heart normalizes soon, it's really hindering things.

Mom's home and doing very well.  Sipping the fluids and foods she can have, walking all over their house.  She's pretty independent and strong willed, so she's going to do just fine!

My rapid heartbeat went away yesterday evening, but came back this morning.  My body feels better though, my walking and joint pain has improved.  Hoping the heart issue leaves soon too, that's my biggest obstacle at the moment... hard to feel good when it's going fast and your whole chest feels like it's shaking. Still tingles in my left hand, with still a little nerve pain here and there. Mentally I feel pretty darn good, considering the circumstances.

Wishing I could be more active, but in trying to gain weight and a sensitive heart I can't do much at the moment.  Housework takes enough out of me.  My last doc said that I may need to recondition my heart as well (in addition to having this withdrawal issue), since I've lost weight and been more sedentary the last two months.

Hopefully finally going back to yoga this week, which I couldn't do because of the muscle tightness and joint pain. That should certainly help as well.  Let's just pray the heart normalizes soon, it's really hindering things.

Hi LV,

Good to hear you are doing somewhat better and that your mom is recovering well. Hope things get better and better for you. Keep us updated!

Darn, had to take more beta blocker.  I had just ate and was hot, and my pulse was nearly 140.  Not particularly anxious, either, was just watching tv. Don't get it, and my doctor isn't helpful, so I just feel helpless about what to do on this symptom.

Question... I really didn't want to take the beta blocker, but thought I should under the circumstances.  I'm taking a quarter of a 25mg pill, and have had to take it three times this week.  In your experience, would I have any kind of rebound withdrawal from IT, making my heartbeat faster as it leaves my system?  If that's the case I might be better off not taking it from here on out, and hope that I don't have to. 

Hi, LV.

Sorry the rapid heartbeat has returned.  Could you tell me what dosage of beta blocker your doctor prescribed?  You might not be taking enough of it.

Found this on medicinenet:  "Beta blockers are a common class of prescription drugs that counteract the stimulatory effects of adrenaline (epinephrine) on what are called the beta receptors. These receptors are found in many tissues of the body including the nervous system and heart. When beta receptors are stimulated, the heart beats faster and harder and the blood vessels constrict, resulting in an elevation of blood pressure."

Technically a half a pill was my prescribed dose, but I took that once and my heart rate went too low (60).  My normal resting rate is about 90-95. I'm just 5 feet tall, 83 pounds (trying to gain).  The quarter of a pill seems to work okay, I only take it when my heart rate goes way up, like over 125.

I'm just wondering if by taking it I could be hurting progress, that when it's out of my system my heart issue could be returning with a vengeance in absence of the beta blocker.  Need this heart issue to resolve soon, darn withdrawal!

Hi LV,

Is your current doctor the same one that prescribed the Xyrem? Are their any side effects listed on the xyrem insert that could mimic the w/d s/x from the ativan. Just a thought, when are you seeing him again? Maybe this is something worth mentioning?

No, I go to a sleep doctor for the Xyrem.  But like I said, I've taken it for quite a while with no side effects.  It's the beauty of Xyrem.  The half life is .5 - 1 hour. "On average, less than 5% of unchanged drug appears in human urine within 6 to 8 hours after dosing." The only things it warns of on taking is confusion or depression, and I have neither.  But I am planning to stop taking it, just need to get through this withdrawal and get healthy first.

That's really the only other thing I'm taking, besides the intermittent little bit of beta blocker this week only.  I do flax seed oil and evening primrose oil in the morning, but have been doing those for quite some time as well.

No, I go to a sleep doctor for the Xyrem.  But like I said, I've taken it for quite a while with no side effects.  It's the beauty of Xyrem.  The half life is .5 - 1 hour. "On average, less than 5% of unchanged drug appears in human urine within 6 to 8 hours after dosing." The only things it warns of on taking is confusion or depression, and I have neither.  But I am planning to stop taking it, just need to get through this withdrawal and get healthy first.

That's really the only other thing I'm taking, besides the intermittent little bit of beta blocker this week only.  I do flax seed oil and evening primrose oil in the morning, but have been doing those for quite some time as well.

LV,

I'm assuming the doctor that gave you the ativan knew you were taking the xyrem and in turn does the sleep doctor know you were prescribed the ativan? Both doctors need to know what the other one is prescribing. You  make want to check with them to make sure there are no interactions??

Oh, yes.  They all know everything.  I even called the Xyrem hotline before I took any Ativan to be sure.  I'm always careful and call their pharmacist before I take ANY drug, even the beta blocker (which is also okay).

Since my body feels better today, I'm guessing withdrawal may not last too too much longer.  All that really remains is a bit of anxiety (which could just be me conjuring it up about my heart), a tingle in the back of my left hand, a few tingles and nerves "waking up" here and there, only the occasional muscle spasm, just a little joint pain, and still some sensitivity in the skin on my chest and i think around my knees.  I'd think that the heart thing would be subsiding soon, and maybe the beta blockers did aggravate it or something.  Hmm.

Hey LV,

Glad to see some things have mellowed a little for you. I hope it continues to do so. Maybe each day will get a little better. Good luck to you. :thumbsup: Kel

Hi all,

Up early, and the heart's going a mile a minute again. I have a feeling it's going to be a bad day, because we're scheduled to have severe thunderstorms and high winds, which is one of a few anxiety-producing situations for me.  Oh my.

Still unsure what to do about the heart issue. I really don't want to take a beta blocker everyday, but how long can this go on, for goodness sake.  I guess I should try to get the monitor put on this week, but I just know it's related to withdrawal, yet I don't know how to go through day after day of this. If the heart monitor finds nothing, the doctor will be delighted and say that it's certainly anxiety then, and try to put me on something else. Wish I could find a physician who would understand what I'm going through.