Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Short Term Ativan Use... Need Tapering Help

[Li...]

Hi all,

I'm new, and hoping you guys can help! ;)

A little over two weeks ago, my doctor put me on .25 (half of a .5mg) dose of Ativan, twice daily, for general anxiety.  Once in the morning, once in the afternoon.  I couldn't take it at night as I also take a powerful sleep medicine.  After just one day of taking it, I noticed my left arm was all tingly that night before bed.  Kept taking it as instructed, and three days later I was getting ready for work, having taking my .25 but it hadn't kicked in yet, when I started to have a rapid heartbeat, and ended up in the hospital.  They did tons of tests and my heart was fine, so it was just a panic attack, my first ever.

I mentioned to the doc before I left the hospital that maybe the .25 wasn't enough, so after that we bumped it to .5mg twice daily, and had been taking that for a little over a week.  During this time the tingles in my arm continued, and I've had major muscle spasms and twitches as well.  Doc attributed the muscle issues to nutrition, as I've recently lost some weight due to TMJ disorder, and wasn't eating properly.  Now I'm gaining weight and eating well, and the symptoms persist, but are eased when I take Ativan.  Finally yesterday I realize that it's possible Ativan is the problem.  Is it possible I'm going in and out of Ativan withdrawal, since I don't take it at night?

None the less, after reading about how troublesome Ativan, I want off it, big time. Since I've only taken it for about two weeks, I'm hoping the taper will go okay.  This is how I've started.  Two days ago I went to .5 in the morning (whole pill), and .25 in the afternoon.  I plan on doing this through tomorrow.  Then four days on .25/.25, four days on .25/.125, and four days on .125/.125, and then just .125 for the last four days.  Does this sound reasonable, or can it be done faster?  Any insight on my situation or help with this is surely appreciated!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Li...]

• [Be...]

• [Th...]

• [Co...]

Hi Littleviolet,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!! It almost seems to me that you might be experiencing an adverse reaction to the ativan. Your taper does sound very reasonable considering you were only on it for a few weeks. If you have any problems, let us know. Others should be by to give their advice and suggestions. Take care!

T2 :smitten:

Thanks Theresa.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Ativan is the cause of my problems over the last two weeks, not nutrition.  It's too coincidental, the timelines match.  I've suddenly had joint pain because of the muscle tightness, muscle pain and spasms, tingles in my arms/hands faster heartbeat, and more anxiety in the morning (when I haven't taken any for about 15 hours) than ever before.  I take Xyrem to sleep at night, and have even woken up in the middle of a dose several times or woken up early, which I've never done before.  I'll be so happy to get this stuff out of my system!

I'll be so happy to get this stuff out of my system!

Hi LittleViolet,

I don't blame you, I wish I would have found out sooner (only on 8 weeks) than later. My nemesis is klonopoison, these benzos are evil and the doctors who prescribe them!  :tickedoff:

Take care!

I finally got through to the on-call doc at my doc's office.  My doc wasn't there, but this one is his working partner. I explained the situation, and he says I can go down to .25/25 starting tomorrow for three days, then .25 for three days, then off.  Faster than I thought.  I guess I can amend this if I start having bad withdrawal effects?

I finally got through to the on-call doc at my doc's office.  My doc wasn't there, but this one is his working partner. I explained the situation, and he says I can go down to .25/25 starting tomorrow for three days, then .25 for three days, then off.  Faster than I thought.  I guess I can amend this if I start having bad withdrawal effects?

!

Sounds like a plan, as you said you can always amend it if you have any bad w/d effects!

LittleViolet -  :)

You are so smart to recognize the connection between the ativan and your symptoms and strong to stand up to your doctor and get off it.  I haven't met any who believe these little pills can cause such awful problems for many people.  I believe I lost a huge chunk of my life to that particular benzo.

As Theresa said, you have a good plan and can always slow down if things get too rough.  Given that you have felt bad on it in such a short time, I imagine you will start feeling better very soon.  :thumbsup:

Thanks all.  It really makes me wonder though, since I've seen three different docs this week and explained my symptoms, and none recognized that it could be an adverse reaction to the Ativan.  I think I'm just going to start diagnosing myself from now on, it's much cheaper! ;)

I do have another question, if anyone is familiar with Ativan.  Once I'm off of it, could there be any lingering problems?  I've read online about people who had muscle twitches and so forth for quite some time afterward.  I'm hoping since I haven't taken it long this won't happen.  There have been times in the past week where I can barely walk, my leg muscles all out of whack and hurting my knees.

As a side note, prior to Ativan I've taken Klonopin "as needed", about .125mg at a time (quarter of a pill) for certain times of greater stress, and it's worked okay for me.  This amounts to maybe once or twice a month.  I wonder if it's all right to do this?  I haven't had any bad reactions that I've recognized.

Thanks all.  It really makes me wonder though, since I've seen three different docs this week and explained my symptoms, and none recognized that it could be an adverse reaction to the Ativan.  I think I'm just going to start diagnosing myself from now on, it's much cheaper! ;)

When it comes to benzos, I think this is all any of us can do unfortunately.  ::)

I do have another question, if anyone is familiar with Ativan.  Once I'm off of it, could there be any lingering problems?  I've read online about people who had muscle twitches and so forth for quite some time afterward.  I'm hoping since I haven't taken it long this won't happen.  There have been times in the past week where I can barely walk, my leg muscles all out of whack and hurting my knees.

You can never tell with benzos in general; I'm constantly surprised about some of the side effects or withdrawal symptoms some people get but not others.  I was on generic ativan for nearly 20 years and have been off for about 6 weeks now.  I occasionally have some muscle spasms and leg weakness but I just think "dang, there's another set of nerves waking up" and let it go.  I would, however, be surprised if you had any residual symptoms because you've been on it such a short time. 

As a side note, prior to Ativan I've taken Klonopin "as needed", about .125mg at a time (quarter of a pill) for certain times of greater stress, and it's worked okay for me.  This amounts to maybe once or twice a month.  I wonder if it's all right to do this?  I haven't had any bad reactions that I've recognized.

Taking so little so infrequently and having no adverse reaction leads me to believe this is fine.  If you catch yourself wanting to take more, though, that should send up a red flag.  I don't think that would happen the way you take it but thought I would mention it anyway.  Better safe.....  ;)

Thanks again Beeper.  I feel so fortunate to have found this forum!  :)

Next step after losing Ativan... change/eliminate my birth control pill!  I think it's what originally caused my heightened anxiety.

Thanks again Beeper.  I feel so fortunate to have found this forum!  :)

Next step after losing Ativan... change/eliminate my birth control pill!  I think it's what originally caused my heightened anxiety.

I believe a lot of women's anxiety is connected to hormones for sure. Mine was increased due to a low thyroid, so if you haven't had that checked lately, it would be a good idea.

Actually, they did check my thyroid while I was in the hospital, and supposedly didn't find anything.  Hopefully I can find a new pill or something that will do what it's supposed to without effecting my mood.

One more Ativan question for the moment... what should I expect while it gets out of my system?  Will the muscle tightness, heart issues, and so forth increase?  Logic says it will decrease if it's the med causing the symptom and I'm taking less, but I assume the withdrawal heightens these?  When I'm off completely though, they'll go away, right? I'm a little worried how the muscle issue is effecting my joints, as in some sort of injury or permanent problem.

Hi LittleViolet,

These symptoms may hang around for a little while, but will decrease in their intensity and probably just disappear. No one can really predict for how long you will have them.

One more Ativan question for the moment... what should I expect while it gets out of my system?  Will the muscle tightness, heart issues, and so forth increase?  Logic says it will decrease if it's the med causing the symptom and I'm taking less, but I assume the withdrawal heightens these?  When I'm off completely though, they'll go away, right? I'm a little worried how the muscle issue is effecting my joints, as in some sort of injury or permanent problem.

I actually found my symptoms decreased after I'd tapered for a while.  It was a nice bonus that came from getting the drug out of my system I suppose.  All those symptoms are temporary and impermanent. Put the idea of permanent damage out of your mind and don't invite trouble by dwelling on "what ifs".  You will be fine.  :thumbsup:

So far, so good. Woke up this morning to less knee/muscle pain, but still hip pain. Of course, the docs did tell me that could be because I'm too skinny at the moment and sleep on my side.  Trying to gain weight as best as I can, so hopefully that will go away soon, no matter what's causing it.

Have the tingles in my left arm/hand, as usual, and some have said that it could be nerve entrapment in my elbow causing it, again because I'm underweight and have bony elbows.  So we'll see on that too, if it goes away after the Ativan is gone. I hope so.

Went down to .25 (half a pill) this morning, and had a slightly elevated heartrate and a little panic creeping up, but nothing I haven't handled thus far.  Will keep you posted!  :)

So far, so good. Woke up this morning to less knee/muscle pain, but still hip pain. Of course, the docs did tell me that could be because I'm too skinny at the moment and sleep on my side.  Trying to gain weight as best as I can, so hopefully that will go away soon, no matter what's causing it.

Have the tingles in my left arm/hand, as usual, and some have said that it could be nerve entrapment in my elbow causing it, again because I'm underweight and have bony elbows.  So we'll see on that too, if it goes away after the Ativan is gone. I hope so.

Went down to .25 (half a pill) this morning, and had a slightly elevated heartrate and a little panic creeping up, but nothing I haven't handled thus far.  Will keep you posted!  :)

That is great to hear, Little Violet.  Some people freak themselves out over a totally manageable symptom like the elevated heartrate and panicky feelings.  Since you are able to calm yourself when symptoms like that occur, you will likely do better than most.  :thumbsup:

Hi Little Violet,

Wanted to welcome you. Sounds like your on your way to being benzo free. Good thing you realized what was going so soon. You will do great. Hormones are a funny thing. When it all happens at the same time. Sometimes it's hard to tell what is what. Good luck to you  :thumbsup: Kel

Just a little update... tomorrow I start .125/.125mg (quarter of a pill) for three days, then done.

I've still been having muscle spasms and some pain, right now mostly my hips and lower back hurt.  Some tingles still in my left hand. Doing okay with anxiety and heart issues though, nothing major has happened.  Hoping I'll feel much better at the end of the week when this is all over.

Told my doc (through his nurse) today about how I was tapering off because I figured out what effect it was having on me, and later they left a message that he said that this is "unlikely".  Jeez. Trying not to worry, but can't help but wonder how I'll feel if I get off the meds and don't go back to normal.

Hi, LittleViolet.  :)

Good to hear your symptoms are manageable and you are forging ahead.  My pdoc also thought it was unlikely my symptoms were related to withdrawal when I got down to .5mg.  I ignored him, too.

Try to be patient about getting back to normal.  It takes a while to heal from what benzos do to the nervous system, though there are vast differences between people. You may still have an occasional symptom after you are done but that's all they are and will pass.  You will heal, of course, I just didn't want you thinking something is wrong if you aren't 100% in a few weeks.

You are doing great.  Soldier on!

Hi LV...I also had the tingly feeling in my hand and also in my foot.  I felt it most when I rotated either one.  They both went away after I finished my taper.  Now if I could sleep consistently I would be 100%.  Hope this helps.

Cilla

Cilla... did you have any muscle spasms or tightness?  That's my main problem.  I believe my muscles are pulling my joints in a bad way and leading to mobility issues and joint popping.

Took my .125 this morning, and preparing to take my second in about a half hour.  Today I've definitely felt more anxious, like I had too much caffeine in my system.  Very tight jaw muscles, which is not good since I'm still not totally over my TMJ issue.  Knees hurt at the moment, and a general muscle stiffness in my legs.  Tingles in the left hand.  Managing though. I guess because I'm in more withdrawal, getting more symptoms. Ugh.

Once I'm done with the taper, how long does it take to get completely out my system? 

I didn't have muscle spasms but I did have some muscle pain, particularly in my trapezius muscle (between my shoulder and neck). I had an awful burning pain and some tightness.  I used a moist heat pack that I picked up from the drug store...this one is called "the original bed buddy".  I just throw it in the microwave for a few minutes and use it whenever my muscles are tight.  I also used an analgesic balm I got from my acupuncturist called "white flower".  It's sort of like Bengay.  The two together offered some relief, albeit temporary. 

I have been benzo-free for 5 months after a rapid taper.  In the beginning I had the tingling sensations, sensitivity to light and then later sound, floaty head feeling (that just recently went away) and of course insomnia.  I am sure there were other things I can't recall now.  My symptoms would come and go, some days worse, some days better then others and finally they left and haven't resurfaced, cross my fingers they are gone for good.  Hope you feel better soon.

Yeah, I'm wondering if others have had problems like me.  I think I was experiencing these side effects/withdrawal effects while TAKING the drug even early on in the first few days.  Don't know how that's possible if I wasn't addicted, but maybe it's just a "bad reaction" to it? It's like I always had a foot in withdrawal the whole time, even when the Ativan was in my system.

I noticed the tingling first when I was taking .25/.25 a day, and no muscle issues until .5/.5.  I was hoping the muscle problem would leave first as I tapered, but no luck yet.  It is better, but still there.

My muscles, mostly in my legs, get so so tight there's just nothing that relieves them, even heat and massage.  Sometimes I get pain at the joints, sometimes just stiffness and the feeling the joint isn't working quite right.  Let's hope a week or two make a difference.  I was only taking the .5/.5 dose for a little over a week too. So strange!

Ugh.  Having more heart issues today.  It's sped up, or had palpitations (can't tell the difference) at least a few times so far.  Muscles still stiff, but can walk decently without a lot of pain.  Tingles on the left.  No real improvement though.

Tomorrow's my last day for my .125 crumbs.  How can I be sure I'm ready to jump off with no meds?  I'm afraid how I'll feel on Saturday.