Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Short Term Ativan Use... Need Tapering Help

[Li...]

Thanks Beeper.  Trying to stay in control of the anxiety, doing some deep breathing.  I think I'll stay at my mom and dad's tonight, and will decide about going to work tomorrow in the morning.

I'd love to do some exercise, but can barely walk at the moment.  Joints hurt and pop when I move, muscles stiff, hurt or spasming. That's really my main complaint, other than some tingling.

I really hope you're right, and I'll be better soon. Such a scary time, but I'll do my best to keep calm.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Li...]

• [Be...]

• [Th...]

• [Co...]

Update... Yesterday evening I started to feel a little better, at least I could walk a little more easily. Today it's about the same, though my knees really hurt.

Anxiety is up a little bit, I think because I had to come to work and I'm still a bit unsure of my condition.  I'm getting little shoots of sharp pain (I assume nerves) in my legs now.  Good sign or bad?

Had a headache when I woke up, but took two advil and it's better now.  If I could just calm my jitters I think I'd feel okay.  Still just a bit scared of what's happening.  I called my doctor to give him an update (via the nurse), and they had scheduled for me an appointment with a neurologist from my last visit, since I was having tingles in my left arm - as a "just in case" measure.  I told her my symptoms, and that the tingles were better and I was sure they were a result of withdrawal, nothing else.  But she's going to check with him to see what to do, or if I should come in for another appointment.

Oh, she just called and they say to give it a couple of days and let them know how I am, that I should be feeling better soon. Good, they agree with you guys - I was afraid they'd force me to see the neurologist, which I'm fairly certain is futile.

Any tips for lessening my anxiety about all this, while I'm at work?  I've been trying to breathe and focus on other things, but my fear sometimes takes over for a little while.  I still have a little trepidation about driving, but have been telling myself I'll be okay and God will take care of me.  But I guess it's good that I've seen some improvement, yes?  Does that mean the worst is over?

Update... Yesterday evening I started to feel a little better, at least I could walk a little more easily. Today it's about the same, though my knees really hurt.

Anxiety is up a little bit, I think because I had to come to work and I'm still a bit unsure of my condition.  I'm getting little shoots of sharp pain (I assume nerves) in my legs now.  Good sign or bad?

Hi, LittleViolet.  :)

I'm glad you've seen some improvement.  I felt sure it would start happening soon but I know you needed some evidence.  I do think the "zaps" are just a sign of your nerves waking up; people seem to get them in different parts of their bodies at different times.  Eventually they stop all together.

Had a headache when I woke up, but took two advil and it's better now.  If I could just calm my jitters I think I'd feel okay.  Still just a bit scared of what's happening.  I called my doctor to give him an update (via the nurse), and they had scheduled for me an appointment with a neurologist from my last visit, since I was having tingles in my left arm - as a "just in case" measure.  I told her my symptoms, and that the tingles were better and I was sure they were a result of withdrawal, nothing else.  But she's going to check with him to see what to do, or if I should come in for another appointment.

Oh, she just called and they say to give it a couple of days and let them know how I am, that I should be feeling better soon. Good, they agree with you guys - I was afraid they'd force me to see the neurologist, which I'm fairly certain is futile.

Sounds like a good plan.  My doc wanted me to see a neurologist for the numbness in some fingers and toes but I decided to wait and see.  It got better on it's own and I saved some $$$.  ;)

Any tips for lessening my anxiety about all this, while I'm at work?  I've been trying to breathe and focus on other things, but my fear sometimes takes over for a little while.  I still have a little trepidation about driving, but have been telling myself I'll be okay and God will take care of me.  But I guess it's good that I've seen some improvement, yes?  Does that mean the worst is over?

You said you are already doing the slow, deep breathing so keep on doing that as often as you need to.  If you are able to leave your work area from time to time,  even a brief walk while concentrating on your breathing will help.  I hope you have some interesting or absorbing work to do because distraction works really well for me.

You are doing great.  Hope to hear from you again tonight.

Thanks again Beeper.  Since I've seen some improvement and change, should that put to rest my fears of having worse withdrawal effects?  The seizure thing has unfortunately stuck in mind (did I mention I have OCD?), so even though I know it's unlikely I worry about it.  Silly, I realize.  Everyone tells me I'll be fine.

This is a crazy week to be going through this, because my mom happens to be having gastric bypass surgery on Wednesday, and I'm supposed to help take care of HER, as she's been helping me over the last several weeks.  I have to be strong for her and able to get around, so I must get better!  Not only that, but I'm nervous about her surgery too, so that's contributing in a bad way.  Did I mention PMS too?  Argh... Bad week, bad week!

Okay folks, sorry to post again so soon, but a problem.  My heart rate has been between 95-115 for about 7 hours and counting.  I talked to the nurse at my doctor's office several times during the day, and while we seem to agree that it's because of the withdrawal and it's not terribly high, there's a concern because I'm having periodic heart pain as well.  It's kind of a quick stabbing pain, then gone.

I've had palpitations, but they've never lasted this long.  My doc says to go to the emergency room so they can check it out to be sure my rhythm is okay.  This is scary, because just three weeks ago I was taken to the ER with another rapid heartbeat, and also attribute that to Ativan withdrawal/effect.  They admitted me, did a ton of tests and my heart was perfectly fine.  I'm afraid if I go this will happen all over again.

Is this simply a withdrawal effect that will ease soon?  Any advice as what to do?  It's not comfortable at all, but I can tolerate it knowing it will abate at a near point in the future.  My anxiety was up today, but I've done deep breathing and tried to relax and the heart keeps going...

Hi LV,

I don't know what more to tell you than what your nurse/dr. has told you. I can tell you that my blood pressure was higher during my w/d s/x. My doctor attributed it to that also. I have never had the palpitations continuously for 7 hours. The most maybe an hour in which case I would drink a cup of chamomile tea and do the deep breathing. I never really measured my heart rate during these times so really don't know what it was. Others may stop by to add their experiences. Let us know how you are doing.

Take care.

T2 :smitten:

LV -  :smitten:

As you know, we aren't doctors here.  While we've certainly seen people have transitory changes in heart rhythm and blood pressure due to w/d, that doesn't necessarily mean that's what's happening now.  Since you've already had your heart checked out a few weeks ago at the ER, it is probably w/d, but I'd never advise you to ignore your doctor's advice.  It would be irresponsible of me to do that.  Do you happen to know if your blood pressure is lower now?  That usually happens with the increased heart rate to compensate.  Rapid heart beat in and of itself isn't harmful but it can certainly make you feel more anxious.  You mentioned before that you were going to your folks' house for a few days.  Are you there now or by yourself?

Hi all... I apologize for relying on you guys for advice.  I know you aren't doctors. It's just that sometimes it's hard to know what to do.

I am still at my parents' house, and their neighbor happens to be a nurse.  She left me with a blood pressure machine to measure my pressure and heart rate.  I just did and it was 128/80, 94 bpm, which is a little high for me but not terrible.  Rate is lower than earlier today, so that's good.  It's mainly the pains that are bothering me, which are more like tingles when I think about it.  A withdrawal issue?  I know my heart is fine, these tests were two weeks ago.

I think my doctor suggested the ER to mainly cover himself in case something did happen and he did not suggest it.  The nurse said to just try to relax and only go to the ER if the pain gets stronger or my rate goes up drastically.  I'm stressed, and I know it's making everything worse. I have a fear of storms, and we'll likely get some tonight, which also isn't helping.

Thanks again for your help... let's hope tomorrow is a better day.

[1c...]

Hey, LV,

Did you read the Ashton Manual?  It gives you the rundown of all the symptoms that could possibly occur during the taper process.  I had at least 50 of them.  I didn't worry at all about them because I knew they were part of the withdrawals.  Of course, if you have grave concerns, have it checked out.  You are doing great.  Good luck.

Patty  xo

Quick update... first day off Ativan completely.  Took my last .125 at about 4:00 yesterday afternoon.

A belated congratulations to you, Violet. Well done!

Thanks Theresa.  I've been doing some reading online (which probably wasn't the best idea), and it seems others have withdrawal symptoms for quite some time, particularly with fast tapers or cold turkey.  I'm thinking maybe I tapered too fast, but when you feel bad on and off the drug, what else could I do.

Since you were taking benzos for such a short period, you did the right thing by following an accelerated taper plan. The longer we take benzos, the more likely we are to become more dependent. In your situation, you did exactly the right thing by getting off sooner rather than later. If you stretched out your taper for very much longer than necessary, you would have unnecessarily risked becoming more dependent during your withdrawal, and potentially would have experienced a much more difficult and protracted withdrawal.

I am worried this is going to be a terribly long process, and that I could experience other even worse withdrawal symptoms soon.  What's the chances of extreme things like seizure?  With my body spasming and jerking like it is, I wonder how easy it could be to jump to that when my body really wants the drug after another couple of days. I know, don't invite trouble!

Risk of seizure is associated with large doses (you were not taking a large dose), and a cold turkey (or near cold turkey) withdrawal. Your withdrawal might have been a little fast, and you may have pushed yourself harder than you needed to, but honestly, I don't think you have caused yourself any problems. Again, you did the right thing by getting off sooner rather than later.

Does it get easier from here, or more difficult as the body craves the drug more as it's gets completely gone?  I just want to be prepared.

Given your short-term use, you should recover very much more quickly than the vast majority of our members.

It just makes me worry, since I seem to be maybe a little bit of a unique case, having withdrawal type symptoms the first day I took it.  I'm a really petite gal who's trying to gain weight at the moment too, and with my body in such a weakened state I just wonder what could happen.

If your suffered 'withdrawl' symptoms upon your first dose, these must be 'paradoxical' effects. It is uncommon to suffer paradoxical effects like this, but it is clear sign that you are intolerant of benzos. The thing to do when suffering paradoxical effects is to get off as quickly as possible by following an accelerated withdrawal. It would have been better to stop after your first dose, but your weren't to know this. Deciding to quit after a couple of weeks use necessitated taking a little time with your withdrawal - again, you did the right thing by following an accelerated withdrawal schedule. Now that you are off, your GABA system can recover.

I wonder if I should be driving, even, in case something happens over the next few days.  And maybe I shouldn't be alone? 

Well, no matter the cause, if you don't feel well enough to drive, then we owe to ourselves and everyone else to stay off the road. However, if you are referring to the risk of 'seizure', I have not read of anything that suggests that there is any hightened risk of seizure after withdrawing from you dose, especially after a taper. The only eception would be if you already suffered from epilepsy or similar.

I'd be very surprised if your withdrawal symptoms lasted for much longer. Particularly as you have already reported improvements. ;)

Take care.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.  My heart hasn't been normal, really, since Monday.  The doctor thinks I have an anxiety disorder (which I technically do, ocd, but that's never manifested like this), and at first I was convinced it was hyperanxiety in withdrawal - but thinking now it could be nutrition/weight related.

I mentioned before I've been trying to gain weight, and did, a few pounds.  But I've lost it all during the taper/withdrawal process, and my body is in bad shape.  Need to eat a ton and gain about 15 pounds.  My muscles feel better, still getting a tingle or slight spasm here and there, but better.  But my joints aren't, so I'm betting that's the nutrition issue. 

Did convince the doc to let me try some Vistaril to see if my heart thing was anxiety related and if that would help it.  Took 25mg about 45 minutes ago, and not much change yet.  We'll see.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.  My heart hasn't been normal, really, since Monday.  The doctor thinks I have an anxiety disorder (which I technically do, ocd, but that's never manifested like this), and at first I was convinced it was hyperanxiety in withdrawal - but thinking now it could be nutrition/weight related.

I mentioned before I've been trying to gain weight, and did, a few pounds.  But I've lost it all during the taper/withdrawal process, and my body is in bad shape.  Need to eat a ton and gain about 15 pounds.  My muscles feel better, still getting a tingle or slight spasm here and there, but better.  But my joints aren't, so I'm betting that's the nutrition issue. 

Did convince the doc to let me try some Vistaril to see if my heart thing was anxiety related and if that would help it.  Took 25mg about 45 minutes ago, and not much change yet.  We'll see.

Hey there, I have the same problem. I've lost a ton of weight from klonopin. I've noticed that my appetite is a lot more consistent now that I am tapering. Once your body doesn't have as much anxiety with w/d, the weight will stay on much more easily. You burn a lot of calories when you're having anxiety. I don't bother to weigh myself, I just make sure I'm eating properly. You'll get better, stick with it!

Hi, LittleViolet (my mom's name),

I had alot of palpitations, increased heart rate and a pounding heart for about 5 days after my last dose of Xanax.  It has been 3 1/2 weeks since my last pill and I am feeling great.  You will be there very soon.  You did it.

Patty  xo

Hi, LittleViolet.

I was wondering how you are doing and also about your mom's surgery.  I know this must be tough on you; it's so hard to see our loved ones in pain.  Just like you, she will get a little better every day.  :thumbsup:

Hi all...

Mom's surgery went great and she's "bored" in the hospital.  So that's great.  She has an awesome attitude about it.

Yesterday I went to visit her, drank a Boost and right after my heart rate spiked to 138, even though I didn't feel particularly stressed.  I had been doing some walking though.  So a took a quarter of a pill of the beta blocker my doctor prescribed, and it went down for the evening and I felt better.

My joints hurt, pop and click, and I get an occasional muscle spasm or tic here and there. Still getting some tingles in my left hand on and off, but I think the nerve could be irritated at the elbow, since my joints are also unhappy.

Unfortunately, as soon as I wake up some anxiety sets in.  I try to relax but it's difficult to stave it off. I have the strangest sensation on my chest, which I think is contributing to my anxiety. It's almost like the skin is too sensitive.  Cold, hot, even the shirt I'm wearing feel funny against my skin.  It's mainly in the center to over the heart and maybe down to my belly button.  Don't quite understand this.  Nerve thing?  Anyone else have something similar?

It's difficult, but I'm trying to eat as much as I can.  Have to gain weight, and I worry that the anxiety and everything is making me lose more each day.  How much longer can all of this last?

Hi LV,

Glad to hear everything went well with your mom's surgery!  :thumbsup: I understand about your joint pains, my knees, ankles and bottom of my feet have been sore and stiff for months. I know it will get better as time goes on and so will you. Anxiety is always worse in the morning, the one thing you need to do is get some food in your stomach first thing. I know this is the most difficult thing, as I never could eat in the mornings. If anything, drink a glass of milk, a banana, a cheesestick or at least something with protein. Low blood sugar can trigger anxiety so eating is crucial. I also have skin sensitivity off and on and does feel odd but it will pass. Hang in there, it will get better.

Thanks Theresa.  The situation is difficult because my primary doc thinks there's no way I could possibly still be in withdrawal.  That my dose was so low and I didn't take it for long and I'm blowing the "withdrawal" symptoms out of proportion. He thinks all my symptoms come from anxiety that I alone create.  Granted, I'm sure some of my anxiousness contributes, but it's not the underlying cause of what is happening to me.

They want to put me on a heart monitor for a day to see what my heart does, and I think he's just doing it to prove me that's there's nothing wrong with it (which I already know from my last hospital stay).  It would cost over $200, so I just called and told them I didn't see the point.  If in a couple of weeks my heart rate is still high, maybe, sure.  But let's let withdrawal run its course and see.

Trying to eat as much as I can.  Had a few mini donuts, some orange juice and a banana this morning.  Getting ready to drink another Boost for extra protein and calories.  A little scared though, since my heart went really high yesterday after I drank one, but maybe it's not connected.

So you're still tapering and getting these withdrawal effects?  I wonder when I can expect mine to be gone?  10 days max, someone earlier said.  I just hope to God they don't linger.

Thanks Theresa.  The situation is difficult because my primary doc thinks there's no way I could possibly still be in withdrawal.  That my dose was so low and I didn't take it for long and I'm blowing the "withdrawal" symptoms out of proportion. He thinks all my symptoms come from anxiety that I alone create.  Granted, I'm sure some of my anxiousness contributes, but it's not the underlying cause of what is happening to me.

They want to put me on a heart monitor for a day to see what my heart does, and I think he's just doing it to prove me that's there's nothing wrong with it (which I already know from my last hospital stay).  It would cost over $200, so I just called and told them I didn't see the point.  If in a couple of weeks my heart rate is still high, maybe, sure.  But let's let withdrawal run its course and see.

Trying to eat as much as I can.  Had a few mini donuts, some orange juice and a banana this morning.  Getting ready to drink another Boost for extra protein and calories.  A little scared though, since my heart went really high yesterday after I drank one, but maybe it's not connected.

So you're still tapering and getting these withdrawal effects?  I wonder when I can expect mine to be gone?  10 days max, someone earlier said.  I just hope to God they don't linger.

Hi LV,

Glad you're going to wait on the heart monitor for a little while. FYI--too much sugar is not good either, sugar seems to rev up my symptoms, it is better to try to eat protein first then sugar foods after if you're going to have them.  I hope the Boost doesn't affect you the same this time. Let's hope you see some improvement by this weekend. Hang in there!

Yep, the Boost boosted my heart rate.  Was 102 before, now 132. Just took the beta blocker. Egads.

This isn't good, I was counting on the Boost to help with weight gain.  It didn't effect my heart like this when I drank it before. I guess with my heart so sensitive like this it's effected more?

If anyone has suggestions for weight gain, btw, I'm all ears!

*edit, adding..*

Just reviewed the Ashton Manual, and I guess this is a result of "an overactive autonomic nervous system".  How in the world can I explain this to my doctor, who thinks I'm simply wrought with anxiety?

Hiya LV,

Good going on your taper  :thumbsup:  Sounds like you are doing well managing your symptoms.  No idea why the Boost would elevate your heart rate.  Maybe it has caffeine or vitamin B complex?  I would think a nutrition store has some high calorie, low fat supplement you mix with milk or juice to help with weight gain.  You may even be able to find some good info online. 

At any rate, congrats on you progress, things should ease up for you soon!

Keith

Thanks Keith... no caffeine (been avoiding it), but it does have some B vitamins.  I guess being an "energy" drink technically I should have expected this.

So yeah, I guess in this terrible withdrawal my autonomic nervous system is in overdrive.  How long on average does this last?  My heart's been up like this for four days straight.  Days? Weeks?  I know you guys can't give me a definitive time, but average?  Will be a week tomorrow that I took the last dose. 

I need to be able to gain weight, and with my body in overdrive this is going to be difficult, besides the difficulty in dealing with the symptoms themselves.

Was thinking... is my withdrawal so bad because I did taper fast?  I know Colin mentioned that was a good thing, and I can tough through all of this knowing it will end soon (it will, right?).  But it's scary to me that I DID have such a low dose and I didn't take it for long, and these bad withdrawal effects are resulting.

Trying not to create anxiety in myself by thinking TOO much, but it seems I'm counting hours of days lately, hoping each day when I wake up things will be improved. I'm scared of long lasting effects too. 

I know most of you say I should be better, and better soon. I hope you are right.

Was thinking... is my withdrawal so bad because I did taper fast?  I know Colin mentioned that was a good thing, and I can tough through all of this knowing it will end soon (it will, right?).  But it's scary to me that I DID have such a low dose and I didn't take it for long, and these bad withdrawal effects are resulting.

Trying not to create anxiety in myself by thinking TOO much, but it seems I'm counting hours of days lately, hoping each day when I wake up things will be improved. I'm scared of long lasting effects too. 

I know most of you say I should be better, and better soon. I hope you are right.

Hi LV,

You weren't on it that long and your taper was not too fast for the time you were on it, you will get better. Please try not to dwell on it, it only heightens your anxiety and symptoms. You have to try occupying yourself so as not to keep thinking too much. It has only been 6 days. Hang in there!