Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Yikes, 33%, thank you so much, Luey, I won't do that. Do you think if I reduced from 1/2mg to 1/4mg for the 2nd dose, that would be too much? I am guessing that would be about 16%. Would I know fairly soon if that was too high and then updose?

My second thought is cutting the 1/2mg tablets (I have 30 of those) into 4 pieces and take 1 piece for the second dose. That would give me 120 days until I got down to 1mg a day, is that enough days? I so appreciate the support. Sleepy

Hi Sleepy, Is there any way you can ask for an on-going monthly prescription of your current amount?  0.5mg x3 tablets daily (total 90 tabs of 0.5mg every 30 days) This would allow you to make smaller cuts and/or longer holds according to how you are feeling. I would be afraid of making the big cuts you are suggesting, but I don't fully understand your situation.  Sorry I'm not being more helpful. Really none of us can tell the other members what to do, since all of our situations are so different. Even if we can't tell each other what to do, we are here to offer you moral support. Please keep us posted. Sending you best wishes, Luey

AF1 - CONGRATULATIONS !!! That is FANTASTIC!! Woot woot!!! You must be SO happy!!

If we were standing in front of each other I would be giving you high fives and huge hugs!!  :D

Hi Everyone,

Powerball, I'm happy you enjoyed your weekend! Committed I'm so sorry to hear of your uphill battle lately. You are such a positive supporter of the rest of us.  I am sending that love and healing energy back to you!  Lisa and Maggie, How are you doing? It would be good to get updates from you.  I was feeling good for lots of days then this weekend my energy started to go downhill. Today I had waves of nausea and anxiety. It's not easy.  AF1, again big congrats to you!

Keep the faith everyone! If you are struggling, hang in there, good days are coming your way again.

Luey :smitten:

Hello to all and thank you to Luey for reminding me to give an up date.

I have been creeping to lower daily and it is so hard as it seems to never get any were and still feel just ok.  I seem to always have some symptoms not ever as bad as when I went to fast but they are always there in one degree or another. Mostly sleep. With that said I am at the lowest I have ever been while tapering. A year ago when I did not know about bb I tapered from 0,1 mg to 0.25 in weeks and got so sick had to updose back to 0.1 and slowly get to were I am now at 0.21.

I look forward to the good days and just try not to dwell on the bad ones. Its a lonely road nobody understands how you could possibly be on such a low dose of medication and still have problems. That's why everyone here is so important. Thank you all for the time you take to care.

Lisa

Thanks, everyone! Lisa, I completely understand how even a minute amount can make a difference.  So weird and annoying. I take Unisom for sleep. 

I'm actually on day 3 of being off. I didn't want to tell anyone until I was sure I could stay off.  I tried to jump a week or two ago and 2 days later ended up taking a dose again. But now I'm off for good!  Can hardly believe it. It's taken me over 3 years to get here.  It really helped to slow to a snail's pace here at the end. I should have done that sooner and it probably would have saved me several trips to the ER and an ambulance ride.

Oh, AF1, I am so very happy for you.....MEGA CONGRATULATIONS. 🎈🎉 🎈 Sleepy

Yikes, 33%, thank you so much, Luey, I won't do that. Do you think if I reduced from 1/2mg to 1/4mg for the 2nd dose, that would be too much? I am guessing that would be about 16%. Would I know fairly soon if that was too high and then updose?

My second thought is cutting the 1/2mg tablets (I have 30 of those) into 4 pieces and take 1 piece for the second dose. That would give me 120 days until I got down to 1mg a day, is that enough days? I so appreciate the support. Sleepy

Hi Sleepy, Is there any way you can ask for an on-going monthly prescription of your current amount?  0.5mg x3 tablets daily (total 90 tabs of 0.5mg every 30 days) This would allow you to make smaller cuts and/or longer holds according to how you are feeling. I would be afraid of making the big cuts you are suggesting, but I don't fully understand your situation.  Sorry I'm not being more helpful. Really none of us can tell the other members what to do, since all of our situations are so different. Even if we can't tell each other what to do, we are here to offer you moral support. Please keep us posted. Sending you best wishes, Luey

Thank you, Luey.  I don't understand about the 0.5mg x3, that is what I have been doing....cutting my 1mg pills in half......I would like to taper down to 1.0 mg daily from 1.5 daily. Just don't know how, don't even know what 10% of 1.5mg is. Maybe if you could tell me that, I could figure out what to do next. Thank you for your help and patience. Sleepy

Thank you, Luey.  I don't understand about the 0.5mg x3, that is what I have been doing....cutting my 1mg pills in half......I would like to taper down to 1.0 mg daily from 1.5 daily. Just don't know how, don't even know what 10% of 1.5mg is. Maybe if you could tell me that, I could figure out what to do next. Thank you for your help and patience. Sleepy

Hi Sleepy, I know you want to get off the ativan but I would not want to give you bad advice causing you more suffering. 

It would help to know a couple of things about your situation to be able to help you.

1. Do you have a doctor who is willing to keep prescribing for you as long as you need?

2. What is your current monthly prescription amount?

3. Does your doctor know you are trying to taper? Are they supportive?

Thanks, Luey

Good Morning Everyone,

Oh Luey, I am so sorry to hear your symptoms are popping up again. Praying it is only temporary and your good days are back soon! Thank you so much for your encouragement! You are such a blessing to all of us!

AF1 - How are you feeling? Hoping things are going smoothly for you.

Wishing everyone a positive, peaceful day.

Committed

Committed, I feel pretty much the same as I did while I tapered.  I'm very thankful for that.  Still am eager for my muscles to regain function.  Thanks for asking!

AFI!!! WOW!! What an accomplishment, We don't hear about too many jumps around here, flushing Ativan out of our cells and souls is such an arduous long process. I am not sure why I haven't posted for a couple of days. I had such a productive last weekend, writing, writing, writing, and then my computer died. It is in the shop with some serious water damage I am told. I pray practically every hour that it is returned intact. My whole life is on that hard drive and I do not care what it costs.

I am at 0.42mg. I have sped up a little bit but not much, o.oo1,0.oo1, 0.01, then 0.002.I have he oddest habit now. I go to sleep 1 hr after my Ativan, then for the next hour I sleep lightly wavering between awake and Stage 1 sleep. So I get up.. I read for 30-45 minutes, return to bed and immediately off to sleep. This is happening the last several nights. I am back to eating frequently during the night because I am starving from too low calories in the evening from the light nausea which causes me to eat less dinner and my weight is down to 150.8 which is not bad in itself. I like my weight, it looks good on me, but it is from low caloric intake causing night eating which does not balance my meals or rectify my total daily calories. I think I need to re-see my primary doc and endocrinologist, I actually feel pretty good, my energy is surprisingly good. I know our body, even without drugs, is not a mechanical even machine.

AFI - are you sleeping ok? Do you have any other drugs you need to taper off?  I am vey happy for you. Good night all. I know it is silly, but pray for my laptop too. I swear to god I will do cloud backup when I get it back whole. Good night. Powerball. 

Powerball, thanks!  I don't think it's silly at all to pray for a laptop. A handful of times I've prayed for something that broke down and God actually fixed it so we didn't have to have repairs.  Actually my sleep is the one thing that is a little worse since I jumped.  I do have other drugs to taper-- (0.5 mg once a day) Zoloft 100 mg, and Gabapentin I take in the afternoon and bedtime which has helped me with withdrawal symptoms.  When I've gone down in the Gabapentin dose it hasn't bothered me so I hope it won't be hard to taper. 

Committed, what do you do now that kids are grown? I find it a really hard adjustment but probably since I'm stuck on the couch and alone most of the day. I do plan on going back to school when I regain function.

AF1 - Would love to talk PK (post-kids HA) with you! May I PM you?

Lisa - So sorry to hear sleep is still such a struggle for you. Praying you will find relief soon.

Luey - Are you feeling any better??

PB - Great to hear you are back on track!!

My husband’s father is passing away. My husband is flying out to Colorado this weekend to say goodbye. Received a call from my dad yesterday telling me that he got lab work back that shows it is highly likely he has cancer. Oh gosh.

Wouldn’t it be nice if life had a pause button we could press until we were done tapering and more stable to be able to deal with these things? Unfortunately, life marches on and we try and hold on and keep up the best we can.

Hugs to all,

Committed

Hi All,

Maggie, I'm sure you're busy, hope all is ok. Let us know how you're doing if you have a moment.

Committed, have things gotten any easier?  Sending positive thoughts your way.

Lisa, the insomnia thing must be so hard.  Always wishing you good nights of sleep. I admire your persistence in tapering.  I can remember before I started having problems  if I couldn't sleep I would just take an Ativan without out even thinking about the consequences.  Now I am like you, I will not take one if I'm not sleeping!

Powerball, I am praying hard for your hard drive!!!!!!  Not the kind of stress you need.  And right after you had such a productive weekend too )-:

Sleepy, maybe you've come up with a taper plan. Did you see my questions?

My familiar pattern last week started off with zero energy. No motivation Friday, Saturday, Sunday and then on Monday nausea on top of that and later a headache.  Do any of you get brain zaps?  I get them and always say to myself my brain is healing. I didn't take a break from tapering and now I've had three good days in a row. Getting some neglected things done around my house- feels good. Tomorrow is my hiking day and I always seem to be able to rally for that.  Walking in nature without a doubt is my best medicine. 

Peace and ease to all.

Luey

p.s. Do any of you spend time reading out in the open forum?  Sometimes I do and it doesn't make me feel very good. Very grateful for our little group.  It's a refuge for sure.

Morning to all,

Committed , so sorry to hear of your dad and father in Law,,,, thats how all my troubles started caring for my sick Dad and then he passed and my brother got sick and I had moved him in with me and that was when I had to take the ativan.. Then he passed , you are right there is no pause button and life just keeps rolling on. Take care of yourself it can be very easy to forget yourself.

Luey hope you have a wonderful time outdoors.

Powerball hoping your computer is ok. That such a terrible feeling

af1 sending positive thoughts your way.

Lisa

Dear Committed, 

Somehow I missed your message you sent before I replied to everyone yesterday.  I am so sorry to hear the scary news about your Dad.  Please let us know when you know more.  I hope he is not suffering and send you all peace and courage to negotiate the path ahead.  How are you coping with it all? 

So very sorry also to hear about your father-in-law.  I hope your husband has good moments with his father and he and his family have the best support to ease the way. Suffering and seeing a loved one suffering is so difficult.

It's almost impossible to think of a positive use of ativan.  But, I have thought if I was on hospice for a terminal illness, I would want them to give me Ativan.  I think that would be an appropriate time when the medicine could be a considerable source of comfort. I would request it for myself.

Yes, Committed, even if we do the best we can, ultimately we are not in control of what happens in life.  Please take good care of yourself the very best you can so you have the strength to support your family members. 

I am sending prayers and hugs your way,

Luey :smitten:

Thanks so much, Sleepy! Ten percent of 1.5 mg would be 0.15 mg.

Thank you, if I cut a 1mg pill into 4 pieces, that would be ( I think) 1/4 of a milligram. Is that close to 0.15mg? Just don't understand the math. Sleepy

Hi Sleepy, I know you want to get off the ativan but I would not want to give you bad advice causing you more suffering. 

It would help to know a couple of things about your situation to be able to help you.

1. Do you have a doctor who is willing to keep prescribing for you as long as you need?

2. What is your current monthly prescription amount?

3. Does your doctor know you are trying to taper? Are they supportive?

Thanks, Luey

Just saw your questions, Luey.

1.So far, she keeps refilling the RX.....although I am always concerned when I read news accounts of doctors who are tapering people off benzos too fast or just completely stop prescribing them.

2.1mg 2x a day.

3.No, she doesn't know. I see no advantage to telling her and am trying to get this figured out by reading and posting to BenzoBuddies.

Thank you. Sleepy

Lisa and Luey, thank you so much for the encouragement. I really appreciate it!

Lisa, so sorry to hear about your dad and brother. How amazing you are to have taken care of both of them in the end. That must have been challenging and heartbreaking for you.

Luey - Hope your hike is rejuvenating and serene.

PB - Hoping you will get good news about your computer.

AF1 - Sent you a message. Hopefully I did it correctly. Not always so computer savvy.

Sleepy99 - Hoping you get something figured out with your dosing that gives you some peace of mind. I know it can be hard in the beginning.

Wishing everyone peaceful days and restful nights this weekend.

Committed

Just saw your questions, Luey.

1.So far, she keeps refilling the RX.....although I am always concerned when I read news accounts of doctors who are tapering people off benzos too fast or just completely stop prescribing them.

2.1mg 2x a day.

3.No, she doesn't know. I see no advantage to telling her and am trying to get this figured out by reading and posting to BenzoBuddies.

Thank you. Sleepy

Hi Sleepy,

Thank you. It helps to better understand your situation.  I think it's good your doctor keeps prescribing 2mg. a day.  Since you have reduced to 1.5mg you are saving 0.5mg everyday which gives you some extra just in case.  I understand not wanting to tell your doctor if you don't trust her.  Of course it would be better to find a different doctor who you could trust to support you.

To confirm: You aren't able to use a titration method with either liquid or dry cutting with a scale.  You don't want to switch to valium.  You don't want to ask for 0.5mg tablets.  Is all of that still correct?  Based on what you say, the smallest you can divide your tablets is by 1/4mg. 

If that was my only option, I would first try cutting 1/4 off my mid-day dose.  Next I would try cutting 1/4 off my morning dose.  Then I might attempt to cut 1/4 off my night time dose.

You could attempt a taper schedule that looks something like this:

1.  1/2mg morning,  1/2mg mid-day, 1/2mg night

2.  1/2mg morning,  1/4mg mid-day, 1/2mg night.  Hold

3.  1/4mg morning,  1/4mg mid-day, 1/2mg night.  Hold

4.  1/4mg morning,  1/4mg mid-day, 1/4mg night.  Hold

5.  1/4mg night  1/4 day  Hold

6.  1/4 night.  Hold

7.  zero

This is just an example.  Do you feel like you experience interdose withdrawal symptoms?  If you do, it seems it would be better to reduce 1/4 from one dose then 1/4 from another dose.  If don't experience interdose withdrawal symptoms, you could instead reduce all of your mid-day dose first as you suggested you want to try.  That would look like this:

1. 1/2 morning, 1/4 mid-day, 1/2 night.  HOLD

2. 1/2 morning,  1/2 night.                  HOLD

For you next 1/4cut, reduce from the time of day you need it the least. And so on....

I read that Ashton does not recommend up-dosing.  (Personally I think tapering should be based on a person's symptoms, ideally supported by a medical professional). If you cut by 1/4mg each time, that is very similar to the taper schedule Ashton used in her clinic. On benzobuddies direct taper description they recommend: "only make a new cut once you feel reasonably recovered from the previous cut.

Sleepy, I am not a doctor or an expert.  This is based on everything you have told us. It would be good to get other opinions.  I would not be able to make these big of cuts without suffering.  In the end, only you know what you want to try and what you can tolerate.

Keep us posted.

Luey