Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Tina,  I'm not sure exactly the tests that he's running, but it's a series of genetic tests that show how certain substances are metabolized -- both foreign (i.e. drugs) and stuff your body produces naturally (i.e. estrogen) that you need get get rid of excess.  I'm sure I'll get the details next week and I can share.

The only thing he's done so far to correct a "perceived" problem with my metabolic enzymes is to have me consume 1 c. of cruciferous veges per day (broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, brussel sprouts).  Those types of veges encourage your body to produce the P450 enzyme, which is an enzyme that metabolizes a lot of substances (including certain meds).    I know the genetic test he is running is going to look at the P450, but also a bunch of other metabolic enzymes.

BDL,  I think that's a great decision to add a 4th dose.  I think the tricky thing with Ativan is its short half-life, and that your body is basically going through interdose w/d when you don't dose 4 times (or even 5) per day.  I finally figured out for me that 3 doses isn't enough, 4 is pretty good, but even at 4 when I take my last dose at 9:00 p.m., and my first dose at 5:00 a.m., I still get w/d symptoms until I take my 2nd dose at 11:00 a.m.    So, I can't imagine what you feel on only 3 doses.    It's also why when I probably jump, I'll jump from all doses at once (rather than eliminate one of the 4 doses, then one more, etc).  Seems to me that to do otherwise would just confuse your brain.....      :o

You have to do what you feel works best for you BDL. I hope adding the dose stabilizes you. I'll be praying for you.  :thumbsup:

I did this whole thing the hard way but I'm still glad I'm off. I'm doing so much better mentally. Physically still a ways to go but it's to be expected.

This is really interesting Hoosierfans. I've never heard of an integrative Dr before. Makes sense though since everything is connected somehow.

My father was a pharmaceutical research chemist who helped develop drugs for the company he worked for. The ironic thing was he couldn't take some of them because of the side effects he got. The percentage of people that got these side effects was very low so I guess the majority were benefited. I have exactly the same issue so we figured it was genetic & due to an inability to metabolize some of these meds fast enough.  I'll have to look into this now that the ability to test for it is available.  Might explain a lot of my sensitivities.

I found instant relief. I hope it lasts. I was feeling close to some kind of real mental crisis for days. I am not regretting it yet. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, BDL!!!  :yippee: 

Lavender,  I'll pass along whatever info I get next week.  I know that there are a variety of these types of tests, some which show more detail and some less.  The tests we're doing are pretty comprehensive (and read: expensive, runs about $500!!).  It will be nice to have all the info for the issues I'm facing now, but also ones that might come down the road....for example, some folks who are poor metabolizers b/c of lack of certain enzymes do really bad with anesthesia...will be something really nice to pass along to treating physicians in the future so that we can avoid bad med reactions.  :thumbsup:

Day #3 on my next step down and so far ok, just some bad insomnia and some headaches.  But, overall ok.

Bumping this thread up and checking in with my fellow Ativaners.  Hope you had a great weekend.  For me, bit of insomnia and super tired (trying to eliminate the naps my body has needed b/c the Ativan is so sedating, and my body isn't liking it).  But, hoping it will help me sleep better at night.

Tummy is feeling much better after months of struggling.  Actually had an appetite starting Friday.  :yippee:  Looks like it might be the Ativan that was causing my tummy troubles (that started pre-Ativan) to linger.  :tickedoff:  It's lovely to eat!!

Thanks Hoosierfans. It was a great weekend & now I'm paying for it  :laugh:

Sounds like you're doing really good for where you are! It's so nice when the nausea stops isn't it? My appetite came back with a vengerance for a week or so then went back to almost normal.

I'm one month off the Ativan now & my CNS is still really sensitive & from what I've been reading it will be for awhile. Ran around & tried to do to much this weekend so I'm sore & tired, headache, mild anxiety, overall "buzzing"feeling & the usual itching. My sleep isn't great either but it's improving.

Nothing unexpected, I'm just impatient. :)

Hey av club! As previously mentioned I dose corrected from an overly aggressive cut that had me in a very bad place. This was 4 days ago. It still seems to have been the right move so far. Ive been on edge and pretty much constantly symptomatic, but there is definitely an upswing happening. Im hoping to fully stabilize before continuing to taper again. AT, A, SNAILS, PACE...

Im glad you all seem to be hanging tough.

Oh cool Mairin. Good work. My guess is that you will be able to continue making larger cuts like that with out much problem until you get to the lower doses. But who knows? It may be easy even after that. Just dont rush it. Ive learned a valuable lesson about that lately. I wanted off of this stuff so bad that I thought I should move quickly. The truth is, I would rather take this stuff indefinitely than to suffer intense, unnecessary withdawal. It's just not worth it for me.

My guess is that you will be able to continue making larger cuts like that with out much problem until you get to the lower doses.

I agree.  :)

Good news all around this morning, happy for the AV club!

It's Tuesday, so that means another cut for me.  Now going down to .55 -- wish me luck!!  :D

Hoosier--Yes the P450.  I did genetic testing for that and I am a slow metabolizer of that enzyme.  However, it only affects the metabolism of Valium and not Ativan.  I actually have to avoid cruciferous veggies bc it will eliminate the Valium too quickly and could send me into w/d.  However, after I am done with my Valium taper, I am going to eat cruci. veggies like crazy and try to detox my body from all the remnants.  If I had known I was a slow P450 metabolizer, I would have never tried switching over to Valium.  I was just having so much problem with Ativan, that the doctor said it was the only way (it isn't).  I just should have been tapering SLOWER off the Ativan--that was the whole problem...

I am interested what other testing you will do with your doctor--please share if you don't mind.

Tina

Hi all,

Well, I started this thread many months ago--glad it has remained an active one.  I left the thread because I tried switching to Valium (mistake, since the Ativan w/d during the transfer fried my brain).  I literally felt my brain burning for a week and acquired all sorts of new symptoms, which remain to this day (3 months later).  I think I could have stayed on the Ativan and continued tapering slower, but I was desperate for an answer, and a "Benzo-Wise" doc told me he had NEVER seen anyone come off Ativan directly and that a transfer to Valium was the only answer.  He updosed me with Valium and I stabilized, but then he pulled away a bunch of Ativan at once.  Mistake!!  >:(

I never fully finished the Valium transfer since I was too scared to continue and in early March was left on 2 meds (the A and V).

End of March I started slowly tapering the Ativan (like a snail) and in two months have tapered the Ativan from .085 to .035!  That is equivalent to 1/2 a mg. of Valium.  So slow, but I am proud of my progress.  If only I had gone this slowly from day 1, I would be off by now!  I haven't gotten better, but haven't gotten worse either, which I believe is significant.  I am hoping to be ATIVAN free in July.  I will then begin my Valium taper (off of 1.25 mg). 

Glad to hear you are all hanging in there...

Hugs,

Tina  :smitten:

Tina,  I was wondering what was happening with you after you started this thread.  Sorry it's been a struggle.

Interesting to know about the Ativan and Valium and that one is processed by the P450 enzymes and the other not.  I'll get a full run down of all the enzymes my doc is testing me for.  Might also explain why when I tried Valium one day (not a big dose, 5 mg), it sent me to bed all day -- soooooo sedated and crying for two days.    :tickedoff:

Been a rough couple of days for me with this cut (.70 to .55 over the day)....nausea, super tired, and really dizzy, but trying to work through it.  One day at a time!!!!  8)

Hoosier-Slow down if you need to.  You just cut .15 mg of Ativan. Please remember that that is equivalent to 1.5 mg. of Valium. I could never cut that quickly. We are all different though. Just listen to your body.

Hugs,

Tina

Thanks for the support Tina.  :smitten:  Gonna see how the next couple of days go (last week had a similar pattern, Thursday was the worst and then I felt a bit better each day).    The whole "how fast" thing is really hard for me b/c back in April I jumped off of Klonopin at .0625 after taking .125 for about 3 months and then .0625 for another 3-4 months, and had about 10 days of withdrawal and then it was over (yeah)!  I figure the amount of Ativan I'm on now (.55 for the whole day, divided over four doses) is .14 mg / dose, which is .07 Klonopin.  But I'm probably going to taper by .1 per week or two until I'm close to 0 even though I was able to jump off that dose of Klonopin.  I know Ativan is a bit trickier.

I'm not working now, but I do have two kids and a hubby to care for.  So,  yes, you are absolutely right, we have to listen to our bodies and slow down when we need to.  The most important thing for me is to maintain some level of functionality and maintain my sanity -- so long as I have a little bit of both, I can get through!  :-*

Hi everyone in the Ativan club! Thanks for starting this thread TinaCA! I've been learning about this med that I've been taking last 3 weeks. I didn't even realize what I was experiencing was withdraw when I tried C/T a couple of times. Now I'm ready to learn more about how to taper it off gradually.

You guys are inspirations to me! Because I'm going through this alone and I get really scared sometimes.

Hi Shortie. I was only on the drug three weeks before I also had w/d symptoms from dropping my AM dose. Like Mairin33 said- take it slow, but it can be tapered off directly. I have a theory that it might be easier for some, but not all of us who haven't been on it too long. That said, it wasn't easy but I'm surviving. Good luck! :)

Welcome shortie...sounds like you and I are about in the same boat timing wise (I first went on Ativan in late April at .05 3 x a day) and was down to .7 (.23 3 x day) in late May.

You'll find a ton of info in this thread on tapering directly off of Ativan, and a lot of support from us Ativaners.

Speaking of support, I could use some tonight.  Took my latest cut last Tuesday, and it hit me pretty hard.  The worst was killer headaches that started on Thursday and haven't let up (they get a little better late in the day, I assume b/c the Ativan is building up in my system after some late overnight w/d).  Also getting the jitters -- hate those!!!  Today I just had a pity party and had trouble getting out of the boo hoos.  But, the other days were manageable, and I'm hoping I'll stabilize soon.  Was planning on taking another cut this Tuesday (down to ~.45 for the day), but I think I'll hold since this one knocked me for a loop.    :'(

Arrrghhh this stuff....but we'll all get through one day at a time!!

Thank you hoosierfans!!! I also had the jitters today between doses. But knowing there are people going through the same things gives me a strength :)

Thank you, Lavender! I'm trying to decide how I'm going to taper it off from here. C/O to V or titration with A......... :-\

Thank you, Lavender! I'm trying to decide how I'm going to taper it off from here. C/O to V or titration with A......... :-\

Shortie,

Am I reading your signature correctly that you started taking Ativan three weeks ago?  In my opinion, it should be pretty easy for you to get off after three weeks.  Doing a cross over to Valium or titrating is going to take you much longer to taper off than you even took it.

Here's something I found of Colin's that might help:

It is clear that the majority of members follow direct tapers (without substitution with Valium). I actually spoke with Prof. Ashton about these matters a few years ago - she never intended that her protocols be applicable to everyone. Her patients were, on the whole, tough cases, where (usually) they had already failed to quit, and had been taking benzodiazepines for a protracted period.

I'd hate to see this become more difficult than it needs to be for you.  I might be missing something here, but it seems you should be able to get off Ativan fairly quickly because of your short term use.  In your case I think you can take bigger cuts than Ashton recommends because of the short use.

Just my thoughts...

Challis