Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Last night was living hell. I'm terribly in the pits right now. I cannot believe this is happening to me with such little amounts used and time used. I got 1 hour of sleep. Every time I'm about to fall asleep I get this absolutely horrible tinnitus and these head sensations that are driving me insane. It feels as though I sense some sort of electrical activity, it feels like I'm losing consciousness, quite literally. My body doesn't permit me to sleep, even if I try to forget about it. I feel like I'm developing some sort of epilepsy at this point. Someone please help, I'm really losing hope at this point. If I go on a proper taper plan will these disastrous symptoms go away??

Last night was living hell. I'm terribly in the pits right now. I cannot believe this is happening to me with such little amounts used and time used. I got 1 hour of sleep. Every time I'm about to fall asleep I get this absolutely horrible tinnitus and these head sensations that are driving me insane. It feels as though I sense some sort of electrical activity, it feels like I'm losing consciousness, quite literally. My body doesn't permit me to sleep, even if I try to forget about it. I feel like I'm developing some sort of epilepsy at this point. Someone please help, I'm really losing hope at this point. If I go on a proper taper plan will these disastrous symptoms go away??

I believe any taper would be better than a c/t. You will still have symptoms, I truly don't believe anyone has a completely symptom free taper.

I understand the frustration and the loss of hope. This is a hideous situation we find ourselves in, whether short or long term usage. These are powerful medicines. I would urge you not to lose hope. The best ally you have in this battle is your mind.

I can't advise you where to begin your taper, I can only tell you what I did. If you have the .5 tablets, you can cut them into 4 pieces, as best you can, That gives you.125 of Ativan in each piece. Ativan has a very short half life. I divided my doses into 4 times daily to keep the levels even. I dose at 7:00 12:15 5:15 and 10:30, This was an enormous help.

My advice would be to go to the dose you felt most stable, and divide the doses to a minimum of twice daily. At smaller levels this will probably involve a scale or titration. Right now, you can simply dry- cut with a razor or exacto knife.

I hope this helps somewhat, I understand how frightened you are about everything's that happening.

Saga

Cosmic - I agree with everything Saga said. I would just like to add that everything you are currently feeling is a symptom of withdrawal, including the excessive worrying about your health. I think it's obvious that c/t isn't going to work for you.

I found myself in the exact same position as you in December. I, unfortunately, had much difficulty after very short term use. These drugs do not discriminate. It's 100% normal that you feel shocked and scared and in disbelief. It is understandable. It took me months to accept what was happening.

So, you need to talk to your family and your doctor and come up with an action plan and stick to it. Find the lowest dose you can to stabilize on and then everyone can help you with taper.

You are going to have to dig deep, Cosmic. You have to fight the fear and tell yourself that it's just withdrawal. You are not brain damaged and you aren't developing epilepsy. Don't let your mind play tricks on you.

Let us know how your doing.

Cosmic - I agree with everything Saga said. I would just like to add that everything you are currently feeling is a symptom of withdrawal, including the excessive worrying about your health. I think it's obvious that c/t isn't going to work for you.

I found myself in the exact same position as you in December. I, unfortunately, had much difficulty after very short term use. These drugs do not discriminate. It's 100% normal that you feel shocked and scared and in disbelief. It is understandable. It took me months to accept what was happening.

So, you need to talk to your family and your doctor and come up with an action plan and stick to it. Find the lowest dose you can to stabilize on and then everyone can help you with taper.

You are going to have to dig deep, Cosmic. You have to fight the fear and tell yourself that it's just withdrawal. You are not brain damaged and you aren't developing epilepsy. Don't let your mind play tricks on you.

Let us know how your doing.

Unrested this morning, went to go see parents, was in a complete delirium. Mind wandering off, breathing heavily, then started to uncontrollably cry. My parents rushed to get me 0.25.  Cold turkey was a fail. I'll need you guys more than ever now. I'm scared to talk to my doctor about all this because she was the one who told me to cold turkey. I feel she's going to try and quick taper.

[81...]

Maybe you could bring your doctor a copy of the Ashton manual.

If unwilling, maybe explain you are having a too hard time, wish to reinstate on 0.25 or which ever amount you try to stabilize on and taper from there, because this is too much for your system...

It's tough to have to argue your point with people, including medical professionals, who don't understand this.

If you decide to reinstate , then try to get as stable as you can. Tapering does not make you totally xs free, you're body just got a shocker too from quitting abruptly, so it might take a bit of time for things to settle.

When you feel it's manageable and tolerable, start up a taper again, IMO.

Give it some time.

Hope your doctor will listen and wishing you relief.. :smitten:

Maybe you could bring your doctor a copy of the Ashton manual.

If unwilling, maybe explain you are having a too hard time, wish to reinstate on 0.25 or which ever amount you try to stabilize on and taper from there, because this is too much for your system...

It's tough to have to argue your point with people, including medical professionals, who don't understand this.

If you decide to reinstate , then try to get as stable as you can. Tapering does not make you totally xs free, you're body just got a shocker too from quitting abruptly, so it might take a bit of time for things to settle.

When you feel it's manageable and tolerable, start up a taper again, IMO.

Give it some time.

Hope your doctor will listen and wishing you relief.. :smitten:

So now that I've taken quarter mg, what shall I do at this point? How do I know what level I'm stabilized at?  I really don't know where to start. I just don't want to start popping pills when I'm feeling out of it

[81...]

Well, yes, you want to stay as low as possible. So just take the 0.25 for a week or so and see how it goes, is what I think.

Stabilizing does not happen over night..

It could take a while, since you kind of cold turkeyed IMO.

You will know when you feel better. Maybe not great, that is to be expected. But at least until the xs are tolerable.

It's difficult. I know...

And Ativan is so short acting too.

Don't take more or less each time or pop something when y.ou feel out of it.

It's very important to be on a consistent dose when tapering.

Cosmic - definitely don't start popping pills when ever you have symptoms.

How often were you dosing before? Was it just once a day?

If I were you, I would try stabilizing at the lowest dose possible. That may mean .50mg for you since I think that's where you said you were last stable. If that's the case, I would split your .50 into 2 x.25 and take one before bed to help you with sleep and the other one 12 hours later. You need to take them at the SAME TIME every day. Don't skip days or times even if you feel like you don't need it at the time you take it. It's about keeping the serum blood levels consistent. Do not take extra when you have symptoms, you need to learn to work through them.

Uncontrollable crying, despair, hopelessness, thinking you are going insane, insomnia, ruminating thoughts and health worries are ALL classic withdrawal symptoms. The point of tapering is to lessen the severity of them. You have to accept feeling uncomfortable. We all do.

I have to dose my Ativan 5x a day, it's a pain, but it really works for me. I went from being an insane mess to just a mess instead of insane. I can even work again now.

Tell your doctor, you need time to do a sensible taper off the drugs because you are finding the withdrawal symptoms too intense. Bring the Ashton Manual and let him know you are in therapy and want work on that in conjunction to a slow taper. It's a reasonable request and you will have to stand up for yourself. Maybe bring your parents with you for support.

Thanks guys, if I were to cut a 1mg into four pieces, crush the quarter, separate the powder into four parts and take it every 6 hours does that seem right? I feel like I'm losing my mind, both the pharmacist and therapist said that they have never heard of anyone get physically dependant on such a low dose for that period of time. I'm starting to question my sanity, but I don't see how these physical symptoms could be completely somatic.

Cosmic - definitely don't start popping pills when ever you have symptoms.

How often were you dosing before? Was it just once a day?

If I were you, I would try stabilizing at the lowest dose possible. That may mean .50mg for you since I think that's where you said you were last stable. If that's the case, I would split your .50 into 2 x.25 and take one before bed to help you with sleep and the other one 12 hours later. You need to take them at the SAME TIME every day. Don't skip days or times even if you feel like you don't need it at the time you take it. It's about keeping the serum blood levels consistent. Do not take extra when you have symptoms, you need to learn to work through them.

Uncontrollable crying, despair, hopelessness, thinking you are going insane, insomnia, ruminating thoughts and health worries are ALL classic withdrawal symptoms. The point of tapering is to lessen the severity of them. You have to accept feeling uncomfortable. We all do.

I have to dose my Ativan 5x a day, it's a pain, but it really works for me. I went from being an insane mess to just a mess instead of insane. I can even work again now.

Tell your doctor, you need time to do a sensible taper off the drugs because you are finding the withdrawal symptoms too intense. Bring the Ashton Manual and let him know you are in therapy and want work on that in conjunction to a slow taper. It's a reasonable request and you will have to stand up for yourself. Maybe bring your parents with you for support.

Generally I was dosing at nighttime just before bed. My last stable doses were around 0.5 but I've gone days with and without, I mean wouldn't that imply some departure from my blood. I would really rather start at 0.25 at this point

Cosmic - you are not losing your mind. I was EXACTLY the same. It really is unbelievable. Regardless, of what your pharmacist or doctor says this happens to people. My pharmacist was the opposite....she thinks benzo's are a horrible drug and has seen many problems in people trying to get off them. It's sad. But I digress.

It may take you longer to stabilize at .25mg but that's exactly what I would do. Give yourself a minimum of 2 weeks to stabilize, although, IMO I would wait 4 weeks.

So, yes, if you have 1mg pills your will cut them into quarters (.25mg) then you will take that .25mg and divide it by four again. This will give you approx .0625 per dose which you can take every 6 hours. This will be a dust pile that you can just eyeball if you dont have a scale. However, being stable is key. And if you felt more stable at .50mg you may want to do that. REMEMBER it isn't about the drug being out of your system, it's about your brain rebuilding and regenerating. Make a decision and stick with it. That is the key to stabilizing.

Also, remember, you will have symptoms, both while stabilizing and tapering. It's a natural response to your body/brain. Try not to fear it. Ask questions. Try and stay positive. Remind yourself that it's ONLY withdrawal. If your comfortable, familiarize yourself with all the possible symptoms so you know that's all it is.

[81...]

Thanks guys, if I were to cut a 1mg into four pieces, crush the quarter, separate the powder into four parts and take it every 6 hours does that seem right? I feel like I'm losing my mind, both the pharmacist and therapist said that they have never heard of anyone get physically dependant on such a low dose for that period of time. I'm starting to question my sanity, but I don't see how these physical symptoms could be completely somatic.

Unfortunately, that's what many of us have been told. It's hard.

You're not losing your mind...it's withdrawal.

Cosmic - you are not losing your mind. I was EXACTLY the same. It really is unbelievable. Regardless, of what your pharmacist or doctor says this happens to people. My pharmacist was the opposite....she thinks benzo's are a horrible drug and has seen many problems in people trying to get off them. It's sad. But I digress.

It may take you longer to stabilize at .25mg but that's exactly what I would do. Give yourself a minimum of 2 weeks to stabilize, although, IMO I would wait 4 weeks.

So, yes, if you have 1mg pills your will cut them into quarters (.25mg) then you will take that .25mg and divide it by four again. This will give you approx .0625 per dose which you can take every 6 hours. This will be a dust pile that you can just eyeball if you dont have a scale. However, being stable is key. And if you felt more stable at .50mg you may want to do that. REMEMBER it isn't about the drug being out of your system, it's about your brain rebuilding and regenerating. Make a decision and stick with it. That is the key to stabilizing.

Also, remember, you will have symptoms, both while stabilizing and tapering. It's a natural response to your body/brain. Try not to fear it. Ask questions. Try and stay positive. Remind yourself that it's ONLY withdrawal. If your comfortable, familiarize yourself with all the possible symptoms so you know that's all it is.

Dosing 4x is recommended?  What's the diff if I dose 2 times instead of 4?i know each individual is different but will these symptoms be bearable? Do I have to wake up in the middle of the night to dose? I already took 0.25 today, can I take a quarter of a quarter tonight?  Do I dilute the powder in water? It's all eyeball to accuracy?

Cosmic - if you feel you need to take a quarter of a quarter (.0625) tonight then go ahead. But after that, stick with your game plan. You don't have to dose 4x a day. It's a personal choice. It's rare that people tapering Ativan only dose once per day, but it does happen. I dose 5x, Saga doses 4x and I've seen many people dose 2 or 3x. Maybe start with 3x and see how you do so you don't have to wake yourself up at night. This may also be better because each individual dose will be a little larger (.0833).

You could so something like 7am, 3pm, 11pm?

Cosmic,

I'll just agree with everything Kiddo is saying. You may find relief with 3 doses. You MUST be consistent. It may not happen in a day or two, you've been without for 2 days. Give it a few days.

Yes, you will only have powder breaking up the 1 mg tablets into those small doses. Lick your finger, then press it into the powder. I would not put it into water. A titration involves creating a suspension that includes more than water for solubility.

I would also like to comment regarding your Dr. App., I believe taking your parents along would be very helpful since you're dealing with a Dr. That is not believing you are experiencing w/d. Any advantage or help they can provide right now will be to your benefit, that includes advocating with your best interests in mind.

Having seen you experience w/d firsthand will help them fight for you.  :smitten:

Saga

The pharmacist has convinced my dad that 0.5 dose is nothing and although my dad sees im suffering he does not believe in a drawn out taper. Guys I took 0.25 this morning at 11 30,it is now 6 30 and I'm feeling really really Ill.

Cosmic,

I'll just agree with everything Kiddo is saying. You may find relief with 3 doses. You MUST be consistent. It may not happen in a day or two, you've been without for 2 days. Give it a few days.

Yes, you will only have powder breaking up the 1 mg tablets into those small doses. Lick your finger, then press it into the powder. I would not put it into water. A titration involves creating a suspension that includes more than water for solubility.

I would also like to comment regarding your Dr. App., I believe taking your parents along would be very helpful since you're dealing with a Dr. That is not believing you are experiencing w/d. Any advantage or help they can provide right now will be to your benefit, that includes advocating with your best interests in mind.

Having seen you experience w/d firsthand will help them fight for you.  :smitten:

Saga

Hi, I read your post, did you dry cut all the way down?  I'm hoping to do that with ativan 3 mg.  Thank you for any response.  mini

The pharmacist has convinced my dad that 0.5 dose is nothing and although my dad sees im suffering he does not believe in a drawn out taper. Guys I took 0.25 this morning at 11 30,it is now 6 30 and I'm feeling really really Ill.

My advice would be to take the smallest amount possible now if you're feeling quite unwell, then again at 11:30 tonight. Those would be evenly spaced doses. Write down EXACTLY what amount you're taking.

Have your parents read the Ashton Manual. It may help. I'm lucky. My pharmacist asked ME how Im tapering these meds. He didn't believe it could be done.

One of the saddest and maddening facts about this is the general lack of knowledge concerning these drugs on the part of the medical community in general.

Mini,

Yes, I have been dry cutting my doses. I see you are dropping both Klonopin as well as Ativan. Cutting the doses was easier in the beginning,when I was simply using an exacto knife to divide the pills. I now use a Gemini scale, and I have my husband do the math for me.

How are you cutting your Klonopin? Is there a reason you couldn't use the same method ?

Any idea how much I could take?  I know it's impossible for you to say but if I'm supposed to start my regimen tomorrow should I shoot for a total of 0.25, 0.5, or in between

My advice would be to take the smallest amount possible now if you're feeling quite unwell, then again at 11:30 tonight. Those would be evenly spaced doses. Write down EXACTLY what amount you're taking.

Have your parents read the Ashton Manual. It may help. I'm lucky. My pharmacist asked ME how Im tapering these meds. He didn't believe it could be done.

One of the saddest and maddening facts about this is the general lack of knowledge concerning these drugs on the part of the medical community in general.

Mini,

Yes, I have been dry cutting my doses. I see you are dropping both Klonopin as well as Ativan. Cutting the doses was easier in the beginning,when I was simply using an exacto knife to divide the pills. I now use a Gemini scale, and I have my husband do the math for me.

How are you cutting your Klonopin? Is there a reason you couldn't use the same method ?

Hi,  The klonopin is an old issue and I will get off that.  The ativan was given to me to help with the start up effects of zoloft.  I'm now on 100 mg. zoloft for over a month and it's not helping, I believe, because the ativan is making me extremely depressed.  That's why I want off.  I know nothing about math so scales and liquid titration are out for me, as well as valium.  This is a relatively new pdoc for me and not the  one who prescribed klonopin. She hates klonopin and in the past 6 months I've gone down from 2 3/4 mg. to 1 1/4 mg.  The plan was to get rid of the klonopin altogether but I need to be off the ativan NOW.  I was never ever depressed in my life until this ativan caused it. I don't like it.  Thank you for responding.  mini

Cosmic,

You're right, I can't advise you how much to take. If it were me, I'd aim for the lowest daily total, say .25.

Simply since you don't know if your dr will support a taper plan.

Cosmic,

You're right, I can't advise you how much to take. If it were me, I'd aim for the lowest daily total, say .25.

Ok this is what I decided with my dad.  8am  . 125, 4pm  . 125    12am  . 125         

Today I took  . 25      then at 6  . 16        and at 11 30    . 16

Mini,

Hi,  The klonopin is an old issue and I will get off that.  The ativan was given to me to help with the start up effects of zoloft.  I'm now on 100 mg. zoloft for over a month and it's not helping, I believe, because the ativan is making me extremely depressed.  That's why I want off.  I know nothing about math so scales and liquid titration are out for me, as well as valium.  This is a relatively new pdoc for me and not the  one who prescribed klonopin. She hates klonopin and in the past 6 months I've gone down from 2 3/4 mg. to 1 1/4 mg.  The plan was to get rid of the klonopin altogether but I need to be off the ativan NOW.  I was never ever depressed in my life until this ativan caused it. I don't like it.  Thank you for responding.  mini

Mini,

You can simply cut the pill into 4 equal pieces. I'm assuming you are using 1 mg tablets.

1/4 of 1 mg =.250.  Instead of taking 3 mg of Ativan, you would take 2.75. That is a large amount of Ativan, and I believe that would be an ok start considering you are on Klonopin and Ativan, both are benzos.

I hope this helps.

Cosmic,

Ok this is what I decided with my dad.  8am  . 125, 4pm  . 125    12am  . 125         

Today I took  . 25      then at 6  . 16        and at 11 30    . 16

I'm glad you've worked out a plan, and your Dad helped, very good news. I hope you become stable soon.  :smitten: