Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Non addictive anti anxiety med?

[fl...]

I am still tapering off of Klonopin, but Vistaril is sometimes used as an anti-anxiety med and is not supposed to be addictive.  I have been on Paxil for years and it has removed anxiety (even though it is an SSRI AD) and I have been able to completely come off of it (although you must taper it), but it is nothing compared to benzos.

Hope this helps.

fg

[ee...]

Doxepin-

Doxepin ( /ˈdɒksɨpɪn/ dok-sə-pin) is a psychotropic agent with tricyclic antidepressant and anxiolytic properties, known under many brand-names such as Aponal, the original preparation by Boehringer-Mannheim, now part of the Roche group; Adapine, Doxal (Orion), Deptran, Sinquan and Sinequan (Pfizer). As doxepin hydrochloride, it is the active ingredient in cream-based preparations (Zonalon and Xepin) for the treatment of dermatological itch. Doxepin is also used for the treatment of sleep maintenance, and the tradename of doxepin for this indication is Silenor.

So on,...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxepin

Talk to your doctor about it.. if you go for it.

I am still tapering off of Klonopin, but Vistaril is sometimes used as an anti-anxiety med and is not supposed to be addictive.  I have been on Paxil for years and it has removed anxiety (even though it is an SSRI AD) and I have been able to completely come off of it (although you must taper it), but it is nothing compared to benzos.

Hope this helps.

fg

when I was w/d from  1mg. of  Xanax which I had basically used for sleep issues, I did some research for non addictive anti- anxiety meds that also were good for sleep and I found this med also know as Atarax!  The dr. of course gave me a prescription for it and I filled it. Well, I took it the first time and I felt terrible, palpitations, shortness of breath, hot & cold etc.  Just to be sure I tried it one more time which was the last because it was a repeat of the first time.

I have been using L-theanine and although it's not a miracle med, it does make the anxiety a little more bearable.

Of course this  applies only to me, I don't know if others would be affected the same way or  maybe it would work for them.

Homeopathic remedy called aconitum or california poppy?  Both helped me some, but I had to use way less that what was on the package.  Worth a try. 

cdawg

Not sure this adds anything but...

Atarax, Vistiril and Hydroxizine, I believe are all the same antihistimine that has anti-anxiety properties.  Also the OTC Zyrtec is a metabolite (contains the active incredients of) this antihistimine but it is a 24 hour variation so I'm not sure it has the same anti-anxiety properties.  It is not known to be habit forming.  I've used Hydroxizine and found it to help calm things some at times.

I've also tried l-theanine which is a derivitive of green tea.  It is known to be calming but not sedating although it is no competition for benzos, it can temper some s/x.

Thanks for the replies guys.  I first think I'm gonna battle it out with lexapro and possible something I can buy from sprouts or trader joes for anxiety.  Im doing my research on passion flower.

Thanks for the replies guys.  I first think I'm gonna battle it out with lexapro and possible something I can buy from sprouts or trader joes for anxiety.  Im doing my research on passion flower.

Please let us know what you find out

flyboy,

Are you still on benzos?  I was just concerned about the use of Passionflower while you were on them.  My pharmacist said she didn't think it was a good idea to take Passionflower and Benzos together.  Just wanted to make sure you were safe.  Wishing you well.

Thanks.

fg

Hi flyboy,

Just checking as fishingguy is that you understand what you are getting into.  Some of the anti-anxiety or sedating sleep promoting herbs e.g. (Valerian, skullcap eg) unfortunately just like prescription sleep aids work through a GABA benzodiazepine receptor mechanism and are no different than a low dose benzo preparation.  In other words, it may prolong your w/d. 

Here is a reference for passionflower:

Sedatives (drugs that cause sleepiness) -- Because of its calming effect, passionflower may make the effects of sedative medications stronger. These medications include:

• Anticonvulsants such as phenytoin (Dilantin)

• Barbiturates

• Benzodiazepines such as alprazolam (Xanax) and diazepam (Valium)

• Drugs for insomnia, such as zolpidem (Ambien), zaleplon (Sonata), eszopiclone (Lunesta), ramelteon (Rozerem)

Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline (Elavil), amoxapine, doxepin (Sinequan), and nortriptyline (Pamelor)

http://www.umm.edu › Medical Reference › Complementary Medicine

I'm not trying to discourage your search for sleep aids or anxiety reducing techniques. Until our down-regulated GABA receptors are free of benzos and up and running again, we are going to have an altered experience of anxiety. It may be more helpful in the short term to find non-drug or herbal remedies, like belly breathing, walks, stretching, guided relaxation.

just my input,

hb&m

good info guys and appreciate the concern...I had passion flower two days and wasnt too hot on it...It just made me tired and nausious, so i think I will discontinue for awhile unless maybe I have an extreamly bad attack.

Thanks for the kudos fishingguy.

Best to you flyboy. I see that you've just started titrating and already getting anxiety attacks. Is it too bizarre to start titrating at a higher dose?  I only think of that because that is how I started, I moved my dose around until I wasn't having symptoms for 2 weeks, then I began my w/d.

I wonder what other people do.  It seems like a harsh way to begin the process.

In other news, you may want to check out this site, it offers a lot of benzo free tips on dealing with the panic.  Guided relaxation videos http://recovery-road.org/videos/ 

Good luck